SIAI/MARCHETTI S.205 out!!!

Thread: SIAI/MARCHETTI S.205 out!!!

SIAI/MARCHETTI S.205 out!!!

The overall choice of aircraft for MSFS is currently getting more and more interesting. Didnīt see this one comming. But itīs odd enough to really appeal to me

SIAI/MARCHETTI S.205 MSFS on Simmarket

comes from Nemeth designs.

Meanwhile I find it hard to decide what to fly today...

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

It's a good thing I buy my "Stickie" glue by the gallon!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Oooh, I was thinking SF.260. Didn't know about this one; it's a lot like... a lot of other planes already on the platform. Which is good for me, since I've bought four planes in the last couple of weeks and I'm gonna grab the RV-14 too.

Nemeth had a great rep with their helicopters, but after seeing the running complaints on the Yak-18T they released for MSFS, and lack of response for tech issues there, they're now on my "caution" list, sadly.

If I hear amazing buzz and it's solid, I might consider it down the road. But I haven't even gotten Dean's Concorde yet, there have been so many choices released this month!

Will be holding back on this one too at least for now, also based on the reviews from the Yak.

Still enough to fly at the moment. Maybe later.
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

I discovered a few bugs and/or uncertainties of my own, and just emailed Tamas Nemeth regarding them. Hope he'll respond and address them. What I sent him (in part) is below....

Note: I downloaded from Simmarket.

1) Transponder: It defaults to a 0000 value that is not changeable when the user moves the switch to ALT mode. The unit operates normally in ON mode.

2) Cabin Heat/Carb Heat: The tooltip indicates that this is Carb Heat, but the Label is Cabin Heat. I am not seeing an engine change when the plunger is pushed or pulled. Is the "off" mode pulled out or pushed in?

3) Alternate Air: The aircraft defaults to having the plunger pulled out, which in aircraft such as Cessnas that I have flown in the real world, means that the Alternative Air system is active/on. Is the default "off" mode pulled out or pushed in?

4) Forward movement at engine idle and braking: The aircraft picks up speed on the ground when the engine is at idle, and manually braking (not using parking brake) does not bring the aircraft to a complete stop. I must engage the parking brake if stopping at a hold short line with the engine running or else the aircraft continues to creep forward.

5) Engine prop RPM: The blue prop lever does not seem to significantly adjust the available propeller RPM. When trying to operate with 24" manifold and 24" prop RPM, I cannot lower the prop RPM that far. I am trying to fly the aircraft similar to what's outlined here for the -20 model: https://pilotweb.aero/aircraft/fligh...-20/r-6285092/ in general, I should be getting more adjustable range out of the blue prop RPM lever, but it's minimal.

I picked it up from sim market and have found the same issues. I have managed to solve the issues with the RPM control not working and the high idling thrust by tweaking the .cfg files. Performance is pretty much in line with what I'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by hangarrat101 View Post
    I picked it up from sim market and have found the same issues. I have managed to solve the issues with the RPM control not working and the high idling thrust by tweaking the .cfg files. Performance is pretty much in line with what I'd expect.
    Can you share the cfg changes please? Thanks.

Toe brake pressure can also be increased as long as the cfg's aren't encrypted. It's in the systems file.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Oooh, I was thinking SF.260. Didn't know about this one; it's a lot like... a lot of other planes already on the platform.
    I know...we have about a million single engine pistons by now haha.... I'm looking for some more turboprops, twins, jets etc... and a Lancair Legacy please!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Oooh, I was thinking SF.260.
    Sim Coders is apparently working on one...and has been for the last year+....easily one of the top 5 releases I am (currently) looking forward to....along with the AH DC-3/C-47, MV A-1 Skyraider, PMDG 737 series, and the Maddog MD-82.

Now if someone could just release a Fokker F27 and a study level 727-100/200, life would be grand!

Kent

Prop fixes

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    Can you share the cfg changes please? Thanks.
    These are the changes I made to fix the 'creeping forward at idle' and 'non-adjustable prop pitch' issues:

Open the engines.cfg with Notepad and copy & paste these lines where indicated:

In the [PROPELLER] section, add all these lines:

prop_mod_use_modern = 1
    prop_mod_use_absorbed_torque = 1
    prop_mod_aspect_ratio = 4.5
    prop_mod_lift_slope_cf = 2.0
    prop_mod_aoa_twist_delta_deg = 6.5
    prop_mod_aoa_lift_delta_deg = 4
    prop_mod_stall_aoa_scaler = 2.8
    prop_mod_stall_aoa_power = 1
    prop_mod_beta_def_at_ratio = 0.75
    prop_mod_lift_efficiency_cf = 0.2
    prop_mod_zero_lift_drag_cf = 0.015
    prop_mod_reverse_left = 0
    prop_mod_reverse_right = 0
    prop_mod_reverse_centre = 0
    prop_mod_ang_offset_left = 0
    prop_mod_ang_offset_right = 0
    prop_mod_ang_offset_centre = 0
    prop_mod_moment_scalar_pitch = 1
    prop_mod_moment_scalar_yaw = 1
    prop_mod_moment_scalar_roll = 1

These are the new prop mod parameters from SU8.

Paste these two lines over the existing "beta_max=20" and "beta_cruise=15" entries:

beta_max=35 ; 20
    beta_cruise=21 ; 15

This increases the prop pitch range and gives more thrust in flight.

Prop Notes:
    To stop moving on the ground with the engine at idle, also set the prop pitch to idle by pulling the prop lever out until the RPM gauge shows 900-1000 rpm.
    Last edited by tiger1962; April 14th, 2022 at 07:17.

Thanks for the cfg tweaks. Nemeth got back to me with the following in response to my questions posted previously:

Questions:
    1) Transponder: It defaults to a 0000 value that is not changeable when the user moves the switch to ALT mode. The unit operates normally in ON mode.
    2) Cabin Heat/Carb Heat: The tooltip indicates that this is Carb Heat, but the Label is Cabin Heat. I am not seeing an engine change when the plunger is pushed or pulled. Is the "off" mode pulled out or pushed in?
    3) Alternate Air: The aircraft defaults to having the plunger pulled out, which in aircraft such as Cessnas that I have flown in the real world, means that the Alternative Air system is active/on. Is the default "off" mode pulled out or pushed in?
    4) Forward movement at engine idle and braking: The aircraft picks up speed on the ground when the engine is at idle, and manually braking (not using parking brake) does not bring the aircraft to a complete stop. I must engage the parking brake if stopping at a hold short line with the engine running or else the aircraft continues to creep forward
    5) Engine prop RPM: The blue prop lever does not seem to significantly adjust the available propeller RPM. When trying to operate with 24" manifold and 24" prop RPM, I cannot lower the prop RPM that far. I am trying to fly the aircraft similar to what's outlined here for the -20 model: https://pilotweb.aero/aircraft/fligh...-20/r-6285092/ in general, I should be getting more adjustable range out of the blue prop RPM lever, but it's minimal.
    6) Is there an avionics master switch?

Answers:

1. It supposed to show the radio altimeter in ALT mode
    2. The left black heater knob is the carburetor heater and the right is the cabin heater. If you use the carburetor heater the cylinder temperature will rise slowly, assumed it’s not in the maximum range already.
    3. Pushed in is the “ON” mode.
    4. That is normal for this plane. The original manual even states that the taxiing should be performed with that basic drag at engine idling, slowing the plane with brakes.
    5. The 20R is powered by a different engine. That is a fuel injected 200 HP Lycoming. The 18R had the earlier carburetor Lycoming with less HP. Still, there is room for improvement. Maybe in an update.
    6. No. There is only one bus on this type of airplane.

Off-hand I don't remember the exact tweaks, but I made a few to the engine as well.
    Fuel flow scalar 0.7 (needs to come down some, will tweak.)
    Power scalar 1
    Cylinder displacement 110
    compression ratio 9.5
    Number of cylinders 4
    max rated rpm 2700
    max rated hp 230
    propeller blades 3
    beta max 23
    beta min 11
    min_gov_rpm=1500
    gear_reduction_ratio=1.0

I also set the parasite and induced drag scalars to 1.1 and increased the drag scalar on the flaps slightly.

This gets me a climb rate of about 1700fpm at 70kts (way too high) max speed of 145 and a cruise at 24"/2400 of 133kts. Although the fuel flow is more what you'd expect from an O-540 than an O-360. More tweaks needed!

Members who have read this thread: 0