Maskrider's Pacific scenery

Thread: Maskrider's Pacific scenery

Maskrider's Pacific scenery

Following on from Pete's post on the screen shot forum, ive a spare few hours tonight and thought id investigate further Maskrider's scenery in FS9. ive been looking at the Solomon islands, starting with Henderson. The main Henderson works like a charm, no objects im afraid but easily solved in time, but i had to remove the Henderson 1 and 2 fighter bgl's as they dont fit the FS9 coastline, but the main airfield looks pretty good me thinks :-)
    Some of these airfields are difficult to find, some became modern airfields with changed name's and some dont exist in the FS9 scenery menu, but i can have fun looking for them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H.jpg  

The WW2 Henderson Field is now Honiara International Airport.

A few years ago, after Maskrider’s NAS Glenview was mostly successfully adapted to FS9 I tried his Solomon Islands (or was it just Guadalcanal?) and the shorelines were all over the place. I had no clue how to fix that (and still don’t.)

The Pacific War is raging in my Golden Wings but the Solomons remain undeveloped, so I would be very pleased to have some good WW2 Guadalcanal scenery. Better yet the whole Solomons.

I saw in the news recently that the government of the Solomons has entered an agreement with the Chinese to allow China extensive access to the islands in such a way that the Australians and New Zealanders feel that their security is threatened. I don’t recall the details, but apparently it could put the PRC’s military right where the Japanese were in 1942, smack across the shipping lanes between the US and Australia & NZ.

Perhaps you are not aware but Maskrider's scenery files have been built to fit with Rhumbaflappy's mesh files. Although this was developed for CFS2, the files are compatible with FS9. I believe that this mesh covers the whole world to varying degrees of resolution. You can find the files in the library here.

You may need to be selective about which areas of this mesh that you use, since the coastlines may not fit with some of your existing installed scenery.

Hope that helps . . .

Hi Ian;

you'll need several static objects libraries ( just drop them in your add-on scenery /static objects folder )
    listing is here (site is still active but not sure for how much longer with Chris' passing)

http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2008/index.html

ttfn

Pete

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Hi Ian;

you'll need several static objects libraries ( just drop them in your add-on scenery /static objects folder )
    listing is here (site is still active but not sure for how much longer with Chris' passing)

http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2008/index.html

ttfn

Pete
    Are the Macros .bmp and .api files used? If so, where should they be placed?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Are the Macros .bmp and .api files used? If so, where should they be placed?
    You need to put the object .bgl files and textures only; like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	86845

Macro / api and their .bmp files are used by scenery creation programs like fssc

and you'll only need to move the scenery and texture folders from within this folder "SCENEDB" to your static objects library (i'm not sure fs9 actually uses the scenedb folder it has)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	86846

Ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; April 6th, 2022 at 03:13.

Hi Rohan, Rhumbaflappy's mesh is my mesh of choice in FS9, ive flown in many areas across the FS9 world, and it seems to work fine everywhere.
    Ive been plugging away with the Solomons pack, but quite a lot so far don't work. But some do, Henderson looks good, but not the aux fields, and the Mbanika Is fields, Renard and Sunlight fit well and look really good too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    You need to put the object .bgl files and textures only;

Macro / api and their .bmp files are used by scenery creation programs like fssc

and you'll only need to move the scenery and texture folders from within this folder "SCENEDB"
    to your static objects library (i'm not sure fs9 actually uses the scenedb folder it has)

Ttfn

Pete
    Thank you Pete, much appreciated. I am trying out MR's Philippines 1 scenery.

Ian,
    the question then becomes whether you are using Rhumbaflappy's water masks - some users like them and others do not - mostly because they "fit" with coastlines or do not "fit" depending upon whose scenery you are using.

HTH,
    ro

Library Staff
    Hi Chaps,

UncleTgt is in the process of redoing the coastlines and rivers of the Solomons for CFS2. So far he has done Guadalcanal, Florida, Tulagi, Santa Isabel and New Georgia.

New accurate depictions of Henderson and Fighter 1 circa 1942 have been made and can be found, along with some of the files for the above islands in the recently released 87 Days of Cactus missions for CFS2.

The GSL objects obviously won't work in FS2004, but the airfield background and terrain files may be of use.

Cheers,
    Kevin

I did play around with CFS2 water mask's, but FS9 has its own water mask's and there quite a conflict, and there seems a lot of file's to remove which will render a lot of stock and FS9 add-on scenery including some of my own unusable, its a hell of a lot of work for minimal gain. Ive decided the best way to appreciate Maskriders scenery is to reinstall my copy of CSF2 and to enjoy it in the sim it was originally designed for

Members who have read this thread: 0