Pilot B314

Thread: Pilot B314

Pilot B314

I know there is an extensive thread on the Clipper in the FSX Forum but it may be worthwhile for P3D users to share any quirks or issues here and of course tips and help stuff.

Quick note or two - Engine start is still tricky! Lets say time consuming. SimIcons does not do anything as a pop up in P3D, the 2D popups are flaky but no issues with any of the VC switching or controls (yet). You have to spend a lot of time getting used to all the old fashioned systems no doubt about that and the modelling of all them is well study level. This means your busy swapping positions to set stuff and sort it out even in flight!

Still to get the fuel management and tank system under control.

My normal joystick control to release the brakes and get rid of the mooring does not work but simply using the full stop key does (go figure on that one).

Anybody come up with real or realistic prop/pwr settings for the cruise and fuel flows? - the manual is not helpful here and so far working on guestimates for this stuff! I know I am out here because planning SFO to PHNL I well short of the fuel required yet they did it (I know with max fuel and only 24 pax). So need to get this sorted to do the Pacific as I am sure this one will just quit on you half way there if you don't.

I noted the engines seem smoky (black contrails) in flight even at lean mixture settings.

Final thoughts still an amazing flight sim model in quality of textures, depth of systems and well it does grow on you this old beast!

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Quick note or two - Engine start is still tricky! Lets say time consuming.
    You have to spend a lot of time getting used to all the old fashioned systems no doubt about that and the modelling of all them is well study level.
    This means your busy swapping positions to set stuff and sort it out even in flight!
    I NEVER use any of the 2D panel for the aircraft management.
    I have created many views with Chaseplane, and insured that the two Captain View and FE View toggle quickly from one to the other - that's the only you need during the engine start up sequence.
    Still to get the fuel management and tank system under control.
    Very important for long flights - the procedure is simple. On the two right selectors select the source hydrostab tank and the destination wing tank. Then switch the two electrical pumps (in the "SwitchBox - near the Dynamitor).
    Insure that you don't exceed the 600 gal wing tank capacities, the fuel would be thrown away in the air !!!
    And switch off the electrical pumps before modifying the source and destination tanks (you could break them !)
    Usually, half an hour fuel check is OK.
    My normal joystick control to release the brakes and get rid of the mooring does not work but simply using the full stop key does (go figure on that one).
    I never had any issue using my Alpha yoke - assigned to "K:PARKING_BRAKES". Do you use the Lorby's add-on or a gauge for "position freeze" ?
    Take care that the B314 uses a similar "trick". They could interfere ?
    Anybody come up with real or realistic prop/pwr settings for the cruise and fuel flows?
    The 2D checklist advice
    Climb - 30 MP / 1900 RPM / 250 fpm
    Cruise - 23 MP / 1900 RPM

According to my LNM Aircraft performace :
    Mixture 100% / climbing = Fuel flow around 300 gal/hr
    Mixture 30% / cruise = Fuel flow around 180 gal/hr
    I noted the engines seem smoky (black contrails) in flight even at lean mixture settings.
    You get black contrail when exceding 30/32 MP
    Amazing flight sim model in quality of textures, depth of systems and well it does grow on you this old beast!
    YES

Gérard

Thanks for the advice there - I needed to look at the manuals and checklists more closely. Will investigate the Chaseplane (//42) thing but at approx 50$ here is expensive!

Members who have read this thread: 0