Flying Boat Bases and Scenery

Thread: Flying Boat Bases and Scenery

Flying Boat Bases and Scenery

Though it would be better to have a specific or separate thread here on that package in the library.

Coming Attractions

Because I accidentally deleted these places from the PC (how no idea) so they missed the package update. The islands also relied on other island packages so after much consideration I have reverted to LMs stock offering for them as they are all good just need a little change here and there to take them back in time.

Ok just a couple of screen shots of two finished Pacific bases used by Pan American. Not yet uploaded just a look in at the moment. Wake Island is nearly done and I am retaining the standard runways there but not much else. I still have Manilla to do and a reworking of SFO Treasure Island and PCIS Canton Island to re do. Hawai is good so needs no work. I thought it would be worth saying that the Guam Scenery is based around Mark Stovalls amazing scenery package Marianas 1943. It is available at AVSIM. The level of detail is stunning but it does put a lot of WW2 era aerodromes on various now neglected Pacific Islands. Tom completely did Guam Harbour in photoreal and in incredible detail, boats, etc etc. So the Pan Am Base fits in with that era because it was a major USN Base when Pan Am started their operations to Guam and the East.

So here is Guam:

That is a huge TS rolling down on from the left. AS weather doing its stuff.

Here is Midway Island. Now I have redone Midway using the stock LM aerodrome and modified it to remove all the buildings etc and the runways etc are now all coral. I guess deleting them altogether would deprive some folk of the choice of flying in in something with wheels. This is much better as Midway was a sandy place with little foliage or shrubbery for real. Great for swimming in the lagoon though.

That is JBKs Martin M130 which was updated into FSX Native so it is all good in P3D and has a very nice interior. Those who want to use the S42 Sikorsky by George Diemer the FSX Native is a beautiful job too and works nicely in P3D as well again with a nicely detailed interior.

More to come later.

Side note - On things Pan American with Pilots B314 (a first class job) JBKs M130 and George Diemers S42, S43 and S44 I think the whole Pan American Flying Boat era and Fleet is well and truly covered. All are done in exceptional detail so up to you all what you use. All are great in P3D.

I have done the SFO to Manilla run in the sim in the M130 took quite a few days - the SFO to Hawaii is a killer - nearly 14 hours of sim time a real overnighter that leg leave at dusk to get there in the morning. When this done going to wheel the B314 across the wide blue pond! Finding Midway is a real achievement same as Wake Island. Guam not that easy either not such a big island.

Bendyflyer:

I tried (again) the KLGA photoreal scenery by Glenn Johnson with your flatten files. Looks like there is a another wall of water that needs to be flattened

Here too.

GreyEagle and others - I redid the flattens for Glen Johnsons scenery it is in the library now. That should fix 90% of the anomalies. One remains but it is a small short strip to the left of the channel at the beginning and easily avoided and is not a major eyesore - looks a bit like a large boat wake left over. It is related to the LM mesh and KLGAs original altitude construction in FSX. Now you should have clear flat water all the way around the runways and a clear run then for take offs and landings. Just go right and keep to the right of the channel once you depart the terminal.

Back to other things.

Again preview - this is Canacao Bay in Manilla where Pan American had their jetty apparently the old Manilla Hotel was just up the road. I also recommend the FSX scenery (sangleyairbaseandnavalstation.zip) Sangley was on the spirt across the bay, This is an FSX scenery but works fine in P3D and includes a lot of navy stuff, ships and things in and around where Sangley is and Canacao Bay. The airport is very well done circa 1960 but Naval Aviation was there when Pan American operated into and out of Manilla.

Preview again - Wake Island done. Not a completely perfect copy of the original but the layout and size is correct and the location which is and was actually on Peale Island smaller island to the North of the main island where Wake airport is today. Same deal airport and aids remain but nothing else.

Thanks a lot for your commitment to these historical seabases.

We will need a lot of coffee when all these pacific bases are available

Gérard

Final for this little package is a reworking of Canton Island PCIS . Stripped bare now as it is in real life. I have also redone the default airport over the other side into a reasonable facsimile of the old set up. Canton Island was a peculiar place due to its location it got very little rain at all so was always and still is basically a treeless sandy lagoon area in the south east Pacific. Is part of Kiribati today but the airfield is abandoned. It would have been a tough gig on Canton, no shade no trees waiting for the next resupply vessel. It came into its own during the war and post war as a refuel stop for flights going Fiji to Hawaii. Pan Am stumped up the cash to put the clipper base on it then the good old USA Pan Am sold it off to Qantas when they went to the jets and Qantas kept it going a few more years for the Constellations. Still a few folk live there today but is mostly derelict.

Revised and new package for the Pan American Clipper Bases and locations. Canton Island, Midway Island, Wake Island, Guam Harbour and Manilla has been uploaded to the SOH library in P3D Scenery. Note this is a P3D package only and will not work in FSX. The ReadMe contains the gouge!.

The locations are correct and historically accurate but I have used mostly stock objects etc so it is not exactly perfect replication or photoreal so to speak but after 10 hours of sim to find these places ashore sight seeing is probably not high on anyones list.

Plenty of coffee required long way between these places at 150 knots!

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Plenty of coffee required long way between these places at 150 knots!

Gérard

KSTI Treasure island

Ok, I read the list of seabases covered and the sceneries that would enhance the various locations, I am at KSTI Treasure Island and all I see is the B314 bobbing in the bay with out a floating
    dock like I saw at KLGB. Is the the desired effect?

I would not need all of the libraries mentioned in the readme but not where these libraries are for (read location).

If I need a library to enhance the Treasure Island area what would that one be?

The way it really look liked at Pan Am Treasure Island.
    Last edited by gray eagle; March 30th, 2022 at 07:45.

Yep noted I still have issues with old objects not showing at Treasure Island or not showing the textures which is why I have not updated it yet.

I saw the link about Kenny Fox's Treasure Island. Good find that will do me! I did have Treasure Island almost perfect but a whole bunch of stuff will just not show in P3D - back to the drawing board on that one.

This is what happened and will happen with my version in P3D sorry folks but this older objects not being displayed has not just me stumped at the moment.

Great find by GrayEagle of Treasure Island. Time to get organised and head across the pond in the big clipper boat enough scenery work back to enjoying the sim!

They left SFO at 0400 Wednesday and got to PHNL at 08.30 the next morning. (time zone adjusted)
    Left PHNL at 0800 on Friday got to Midway at 0400.
    Left Midway at 0730 on Saturday got to Wake Island at 0300 on Sunday morning.
    Left Wake at 0700 Monday and got to Guam 0415 (over the date line going back in time)
    Guam departed 0600 Tuesday got to Manilla at 0315
    Then on to Macao quick stop and then on to Hong Kong (Kai Tak before the build the runway in the bay).

Lot of night flying there folks. 6 days of simming!

Fly navy!!

Nice work here - I hope you keep this going.

hazegraystudios.net

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    Nice work here - I hope you keep this going.
    Fly Navy....The Best Always Have

Members who have read this thread: 1