Why Not...

Thread: Why Not...

Why Not...

My dad passed away a few weeks ago, and I'm still going through the house getting rid of a lot of stuff. He had a 39" "dumb" LED TV (no apps or internet connection) that was connected to a cable box with an HDMI cable. I brought it home to see how it might work as a monitor. The first thing I noticed was that it suffered from "overscan," so the edges were missing. A little research showed me how to fix that, so I'm now able to run FS on a rather large screen at 1842x1026 resolution. The only odd thing is that using the GeForce screencap function captures a black "desktop" instead of the FS window. I'll have to test with the Xbox Game Bar method next time I fire up the sim... The only thing left is maybe a little more tweaking of the TV's video settings to optimize the graphics, but it already looks great - deep colors and a nice bright image combined with pretty decent on-board speakers driven through the HDMI connection are going to have me spoiled in no time!
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; March 19th, 2022 at 16:05.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. Having said that, I'm glad you're upping your gaming system visuals. With a screen that size the gauges must look life sized.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    With a screen that size the gauges must look life sized.
    Dang close - maybe more if I zoom in!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Haven't used a computer specific monitor for over 10 years so I'm used to it now, I sit my fat butt down on a small couch in my bedroom about 4 feet from it on a wall mount that is very adjustable. Wireless mouse, keyboard. My flight stick is wired but has plenty of cord length. TrackIR works great as long as I have my screen at the right angle. I think it's a 50" screen, any bigger would be too much for my room size. Text is starting to get harder to read so I had to bump up the text size. I need to invent a way to keep my mouse on the arm of the couch though, it's always falling off, LOL.

Sorry to hear about your Father, dread that day.

Sorry for your dad, but happy you had him for so long.

Having a TV set instead of a monitor did cross my mind a few times, especially since one looks more and more like the other. If this screen goes , this is probably what I will do.
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Members who have read this thread: 0