Don Grovestine's Airports in P3D v5?

Thread: Don Grovestine's Airports in P3D v5?

SOH-CM-2022

Don Grovestine's Airports in P3D v5?

I have used Don's airports with ORBX scenery and Victoria+ in both FSX and P3Dv4.5 with no issues.

I'm in the process of migrating my Pacific NW install over from P3DV4 to V5.
    Orbx is installed well and I got Victoria Plus working.

I can't get his airports to work in V5. So far I have tried both Victoria and Campbell River with the same results. Everytime I go to one of these airports and start a flight P3D gets about 5% of the way thru its startup and then hangs. I know it is his airports because if I disable the scenery and go to the same location it loads fine.

I have tried installing via a manual install and creating an addon.xml. When that didn't work I deleted everything and re-installed using the automatic installer software.

Same issue.

Does anyone have any insight into what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
    Gavin

While I don't have V5, I've had this similar thing happen with complex Orbx sceneries on my machine in v4.5. The first time I loaded SoCal and KSAN it sat on like 30% for probably 3 minutes and after it finally sat there processing the first time I closed out P3D and restarted it. I loaded up at a different airport outside of the Orbx scenery, then once in the sim I moved the flight to KSAN to see if that helped. It did the same thing, got to about 30% and sat there. I closed it again after the same amount of time. The 3rd time I just let it sit there to see if it actually crashed P3D. It finally loaded, but it took forever I think 5 or 6 minutes of sitting there. After it finally loaded it didn't hang up again.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Several times, I had the same issue with FSX sceneries I would like to see in P3Dv4.+ again.

Sometimes, the scenery load, but suddenly around my airport, I got odd night texture squares. Only when I disabled the FSX airport, they were gone.
    Sometimes, when I tried to add a FSX airport, the load stucked like you mentioned.

In either case, I detected corrupt bmp/extended bmp textures which caused the problem.
    For solving the issue, I chose the hard way - I had a look into the texture folder and placed half of the textures somewhere else, preferably I created a folder called "texture_outplacement" on my desktop and put them inside of it.
    Now I start the sim and wait. If the issue persists, I exchange the textures - now replace the outsourced half of the textures back into the texture folder and put the other half into the "texture_outplacement".
    In many cases now the sim starts normally or the odd squares are gone.

If so, it is a hard and long but successfully way to find the culprit. Leave the working textures in the texture folder. Now put the next half of the textures from the "texture_outplacement" folder to the others inside the sceneries texture folder.
    Does it work? Than again and again until the sim gets stuck. At one point, you will find the texture which is corrupt and you either can go without it or you can rework it (with a paint tool or something...)

Just a thought, sometimes the solution
    Best regards, Manfred.

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Several times, I had the same issue with FSX sceneries I would like to see in P3Dv4.+ again.

In either case, I detected corrupt bmp/extended bmp textures which caused the problem.
    For solving the issue, I chose the hard way - I had a look into the texture folder and placed half of the textures somewhere else, preferably I created a folder called "texture_outplacement" on my desktop and put them inside of it.
    Now I start the sim and wait. If the issue persists, I exchange the textures - now replace the outsourced half of the textures back into the texture folder and put the other half into the "texture_outplacement".
    In many cases now the sim starts normally or the odd squares are gone.
    Good thought Manfred - since it seems to happen with several different airports I will start by looking for common textures and removing those.

Gavin

SOH-CM-2022

found the culprit

I think I have found the culprit (if anyone would like to verify).

There is a texture called illum_ApronFlood.dds. When this is removed the airports seem to load more happily.

I converted it from 32 bit to 16 bit and it appears to work well.

Gavin

Glad I could help and that you found the culprit. In many cases this is the kind of issue, sometimes in fact when you get a CTD while flying over two nearby airports. Reason is both airports use a texture with same file name.
    Some problems with ORBX texture squares occur by this - only one texture can affect the complete addon library if you don't know the perpetrator...That's my experiences....
    Best regards, Manfred.

Members who have read this thread: 1