My Repaints - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Repaints

Thank you, Stéph!

Here is another selection of screenshots I liked. The first one was taken parked outside the hangar at Duxford where it was restored.

The modern fuel caps added to the wings are identical to those fitted to the real aircraft, which are the same Shaw Aero caps used in a number of modern Cessna, Beech and Piper GA types. Like a number of Spitfires flying today, the gun bays are taken up by modern auxiliary fuel tanks to extend the Spitfire's range (during the around-the-world flight in 2019, it also had a fuel tank added aft of the cockpit with a filler neck leading to a cap mounted in the port-side rear cockpit glazing (this has since been removed/returned to stock).

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post

This. This one right here. This photograph…er, ah, screenshot was almost enough to make me pull the trigger! Really good one John - repaint and screenshot.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Thank you, Duckie. Despite being the first, it still remains my favorite warbird in MSFS. Improved over time with every update, it is designed/coded to be operated by the real world Mk.IX Spitfire pilots notes, and it seems to fly/handle exactly as a real Mk.IX Spitfire (matching everything I've read about flying real Mk.IX Spitfires). It's quite rewarding getting to work with 8K textures too.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; March 27th, 2022 at 16:00.

Finally getting back to doing P-51 repaints (Asobo model), with this work-in-progress. The next step will be to overhaul the landing gear, wheel wells and cockpit textures, for the restored look and proper colors. The restored P-51Ds "Daddy's Girl" and "Moonbeam McSwine" are also currently in the works (just the tip of the iceberg, I hope).

Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 21st, 2022 at 15:36.

Beautiful! I don’t have the Adobo Mustang, was waiting for a wartime version I guess.

But, if you’re going to start releasing some of these, I just might need to reconsider.

Is there a particular 51 that you are working on? Or will any of the Ds work?

Thank you, Kurt. I'm making these for the base Reno Mustang (the most stock version), which I believe is included with all of the Reno Mustang related products one purchases, including the full Reno air racing addon.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 21st, 2022 at 16:43.

With the Reno packs currently being 25% off I've been considering the base Reno package, these repaints look amazing and only make that package more enticing. Nice work and shots John!

Thank you, Kurt. I'm making these for the base Reno Mustang (the most stock version), which I believe is included with all of the Reno Mustang related products one purchases, including the full Reno air racing addon.

Very cool! Think I’ll be picking this up now!

Just know that despite what Microsoft said prior to the Reno stuff being released, there is no way to upgrade from the Base package to the Full Collection. If, in the future, you decide you want the Full Collection you will have to pay full price for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    Just know that despite what Microsoft said prior to the Reno stuff being released, there is no way to upgrade from the Base package to the Full Collection. If, in the future, you decide you want the Full Collection you will have to pay full price for it.
    Thanks! That’s good to know. I had been tempted by the package, but didn’t want a dozen planes. But, for the price, and especially if it means that there are great paints for them like these, I may not be able to resist!

raising the bar again John - thank you !

Here are some new test screens, though still a ton of stuff to do and add. It feels like a major milestone every time something new is successfully added into the textures (the most complex/convoluted texture mapping I've ever worked with - though I created a process to handle it that seems to work). Although not instituted/shown yet, I spent most of my time today working on new landing gear, landing gear door, wheel well and prop textures, which will all be specifically accurate to this aircraft (and I still have yet to begin on the cockpit). Once I get this one done, those extra textures will be easy to pump out for each repaint and be repaint-specific. Once again, this is being done for the Asobo/Microsoft P-51D.

Beautiful work as always, John!
    No plans yet to bring the WBS Mustang, or better still, your B-25 project, to MFS?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Stellar work John! Very impressive Click image for larger version. 

Name:	applause.gif 
Views:	245 
Size:	607 Bytes 
ID:	88255 After I bought the Reno package I only flew the T-6 and L-39 but never the P-51D. I guess that will change soon

Thanks again for all your wonderful repaints!

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Beautiful work as always, John! No plans yet to bring the WBS Mustang, or better still, your B-25 project, to MFS?
    My understanding is he had to shelve all of that, and , ahem, the P-39, due to all the real life jobs he has now. Good for John, bad for us.

Thank you Jankees, and thank you Tim! As Ken has mentioned, I just don't see myself investing the time required in producing aircraft for flight sim, it's just too time consuming (time that I don't have available most of the year) - and I get bored easily.

I finished off the all-new wheel wells/landing gear/gear doors/prop textures today. Quite literally, there is not a single part of those textures that I haven't modified, with most of it made all new from scratch. All of the paint/primer finishes, and finishes of the plumbing and brass fittings, are all based on the real restored aircraft (note all of the hard lines are now marked with the appropriately colored tape, as well). I hope to have the rest of the exterior details added tomorrow and Monday, and then get into the cockpit textures.

I was fortunate to have gotten to speak/correspond with Vlado Lenoch a few times. He wasn't necessarily an absolute stickler for accuracy, but he was known very well online for his tongue-in-cheek propensity to point out whenever a restored P-51 had their landing gear doors painted the "wrong" color (anything other than silver).

Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 27th, 2022 at 21:44.

That's looking great John. Not that I'm surprised. It looks like there's more P-51 flying in my future.

I agree, nice work!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

John - I have both Wee Willy II and Man O' War but with Moonbeam showing in my content manager I don't see the repaint ?Not sure what I am doing wrong ?

Friday night, the soonest I can get to it, I'll work on packaging a version which will be tied to the "Wee Willy II" model. Evidently, the base P-51D model is only included in the Base and Full versions of the Reno Air Racing addon, not the individual P-51 addons. The "Wee Willy II" and all other variant-specific Mustang models have their own unique cockpit models, and their own unique cockpit textures, completely separate to the base P-51D model I did this repaint for, so the version I do for the "Wee Willy II" model won't have any cockpit changes and will simply have to remain the same as in "Wee Willy II".

Friday night, the soonest I can get to it, I'll work on packaging a version which will be tied to the "Wee Willy II" model. Evidently, the base P-51D model is only included in the Base and Full versions of the Reno Air Racing addon, not the individual P-51 addons. The "Wee Willy II" and all other variant-specific Mustang models have their own unique cockpit models, and their own unique cockpit textures, completely separate to the base P-51D model I did this repaint for, so the version I do for the "Wee Willy II" model won't have any cockpit changes and will simply have to remain the same as in "Wee Willy II".

Ok that explains things - thanks John

Richard, this evening I was able to get everything setup and fully check applying my repaint of "Moonbeam McSwine" onto the "Wee Willy II" model, but unfortunately there are just way too many differences between the models, in numerous areas all around the aircraft (many that I would have never thought of). For it to work and be satisfied with the results, I would have to spend a considerable amount of time redoing the repaint, which I'm just not prepared to do, I'm very sorry to say.

I picked up the Base pack today, not to race, but in anticipation of your artwork on the Mustang. Thank you John, "Moonbeam McSwine" is incredible.

Members who have read this thread: 7