My Repaints - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Repaints

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Richard, this evening I was able to get everything setup and fully check applying my repaint of "Moonbeam McSwine" onto the "Wee Willy II" model, but unfortunately there are just way too many differences between the models, in numerous areas all around the aircraft (many that I would have never thought of). For it to work and be satisfied with the results, I would have to spend a considerable amount of time redoing the repaint, which I'm just not prepared to do, I'm very sorry to say.
    No problem at all John but thanks for trying anyway.

I will pick up the base pack today

Today is testing day for another repaint I've just about got completed for the MSFS P-51D, this time depicting the Heritage Flight Museum's Val-Halla based at Skagit, Washington. Just a few more details to add, some more tweaks and documentation, and then it will be made available this week on Flightsim.to.

Also, this weekend I dug out my models of the B-25J and P-39Q and I'm going to slowly get back into developing them out for MSFS2020 - I will be curious to see how much I can get done on them this summer. If after the next year or so I can't do it, I'll see if someone else would be interested in taking them over at that point. I originally shelved this B-25 after having already spent roughly 700 hours getting to this point and realizing I was less than 5% done with all of the modeling/texturing that still remained to be done inside and out. The model was built using the original North American lofting data and blueprints, and therefore is a thousandth of an inch accurate to the real thing. Every detail in the textures is accurately placed, with each rivet, spot weld and fastener added in each their own correct spot. I've also got the 8-gun nose and original stock carburetor intake/cowls modeled separately The last time I was actively working on the B-25 I was working on all of the armament positions and am about a quarter of the way through modeling the complex Bendix upper turret assembly and pedestal (using its own set of original blueprints). I lost all of the images I once had of it when in FSX, so I made some new renders.

Bring it to MSFS!
    Both look fantastic.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

We've needed a good B-25 for a very long time. Awesome! A must buy for me.

Very pretty model.

Oh man, a sure buy for me!! Lovely work John!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I love the P-51 repaint and when it comes to the B-25 and P-39 you already know what I think. What would be nice is if you could farm out some of the other sub-assemblies to other 3D modelers to work on, but their work would have to meet your standards. At least for the summer, while you have some time.

Very exciting news! I've seen a couple of B-25s and one taxied to park right in front of me at Hahnweide a few years back. Earthshaking vibrations that filled me with pure happiness.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

I got a ride in this (A-26), owned by Calspan Corp. when I was at Pax River in the mid 1970s. Calspan was contracted by the Navy to provide their aircraft as part of the USNTPS syllabus.NCCalSpan_A-26 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Oh my, now that is a B-25!
    that would be just great!
    If you can't do it, maybe BigRadials would be interested, after all, it has two of them!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Oh my, now that is a B-25!
    that would be just great!
    If you can't do it, maybe BigRadials would be interested, after all, it has two of them!
    Someone like FlyingIron might be a better option, but that's kind of putting the cart before the horse right now I think.

I *cough* know some people that *cough* would be really interested in having a B-25 in the simulator.

Photo from today in Urbana, OH. They are building a "training cockpit" for our B-25. Should be fully functionable when finished.

-Witt

Champaign Lady Volunteer.

After a bit of a delay this past week, I've finally got "Val-Halla" uploaded: https://flightsim.to/file/55089/p-51...l-halla-n151af

Manufactured at the North American Aviation Dallas, TX plant in the summer of 1945 as P-51D-30-NT USAAF Ser. No. 45-11525, it was one of the last D-model Mustangs produced and delivered far too late to see combat assignment during World War Two. In the post-war years it served with the Indonesian Air Force and was eventually recovered from Indonesia in 1978 by Stephen Johnson, of Oakland, CA. Brought back to the US, it was sold to John MacGuire in 1982 and became part of his War Eagles Air Museum, located in Santa Teresa, NM, where it underwent an intial restoration as "The Silver Ghost", registered as N91JB. Around 1995 the Mustang was acquired by Apollo 8 Astronaut Maj. General Bill Anders, and the aircraft underwent a subsequent restoration by Pena Olivas. In 1996, Bill Anders and his wife, Valerie, founded the Heritage Flight Museum (HFM), and the Mustang became the first asset they donated to the new museum. Following restoration, it was decided to paint the P-51 in the markings of the 57th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, known as the "Black Knights", the unit that Bill Anders himself had served with in 1958, flying F-89 Scorpions. During the 1950s, the unit was based in Keflavik, Iceland to serve in the role of air defense during the Cold War. Aircraft of the USAF based in this region were painted with large sections of high-visibility "arctic red" (insignia red) on the wings and tail, for in-case if forced down it would aid in search-and-rescue efforts. The name "Val-Halla" was chosen to honor Bill's wife and museum co-founder, Valerie. "Val-Halla" is of course Viking heaven, and according to the HFM's website, the name also reflects the fond memories Bill Anders has had for the time he spent in Iceland and the year he spent as the US Ambassador to Norway. Bill Anders raced the Mustang at Reno in 1997, '98 and '99, as race #68 (commemorating the year, 1968, that he went to the moon aboard Apollo 8). Today, Bill's son, Lt. Col. Greg Anders, is the regular pilot of "Val-Halla", and they can be seen participating in airshows around the western United States, including as part of the USAF Heritage Flight Foundation.

As always, every detail has been done to match the real aircraft as close I could get, including the slight difference in shade of the silver paint on the some exterior panels, the bare metal panels/sections around the fuselage, the unique stencils/graphics, cockpit and wheel well finishes, etc.

Hello everyone, this is my first post!

Excellent work, John! I hope you can complete the B-25 one day. Also, which P-51 repaint are you going to do next?

Thank you, Tom, and thank you to everyone who has complimented me and sent messages to me with regard to the B-25! I really don't have plans with regard to more repaints in the immediate future. With regard to the B-25, the immediate focus of attention is getting into the landing gear and wheel wells (of course building everything based off of the original NAA engineering blueprint drawings, positioned and functioning precisely to the real thing) and then start getting the model into the sim as work continues. At some point in the next couple weeks I'll be making another research trip to photograph and get measurements from a complete R-2600, pulled from a B-25, which will provide me everything I'll need to model those accurately. Although the renders I've shown here depict the restored B-25J-20-NC "Miss Mitchell" (with post-war TB-25 modifications - Bendix carb intakes and collector ring exhaust, life raft compartment removed, etc.), the first model I'll be working on actually completing for MSFS is a fully stock B-25J-30-NC, with the complete factory-stock configuration inside and out (Holley carb intakes, original exhaust, armor plating, full armament, life raft compartment, stock interior, original primer, paint and bare metal finishes inside and out). This will be the main model for most paint schemes (with some minor variations), in addition to an 8-gun nose version, and eventually onto some restored examples for museums.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; May 14th, 2023 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    After a bit of a delay this past week, I've finally got "Val-Halla" uploaded: https://flightsim.to/file/55089/p-51...l-halla-n151afManufactured at the North American Aviation Dallas, TX plant in the summer of 1945 as P-51D-30-NT USAAF Ser. No. 45-11525, it was one of the last D-model Mustangs produced and delivered far too late to see combat assignment during World War Two. In the post-war years it served with the Indonesian Air Force and was eventually recovered from Indonesia in 1978 by Stephen Johnson, of Oakland, CA. Brought back to the US, it was sold to John MacGuire in 1982 and became part of his War Eagles Air Museum, located in Santa Teresa, NM, where it underwent an intial restoration as "The Silver Ghost", registered as N91JB. Around 1995 the Mustang was acquired by Apollo 8 Astronaut Maj. General Bill Anders, and the aircraft underwent a subsequent restoration by Pena Olivas. In 1996, Bill Anders and his wife, Valerie, founded the Heritage Flight Museum (HFM), and the Mustang became the first asset they donated to the new museum. Following restoration, it was decided to paint the P-51 in the markings of the 57th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, known as the "Black Knights", the unit that Bill Anders himself had served with in 1958, flying F-89 Scorpions. During the 1950s, the unit was based in Keflavik, Iceland to serve in the role of air defense during the Cold War. Aircraft of the USAF based in this region were painted with large sections of high-visibility "arctic red" (insignia red) on the wings and tail, for in-case if forced down it would aid in search-and-rescue efforts. The name "Val-Halla" was chosen to honor Bill's wife and museum co-founder, Valerie. "Val-Halla" is of course Viking heaven, and according to the HFM's website, the name also reflects the fond memories Bill Anders has had for the time he spent in Iceland and the year he spent as the US Ambassador to Norway. Bill Anders raced the Mustang at Reno in 1997, '98 and '99, as race #68 (commemorating the year, 1968, that he went to the moon aboard Apollo 8). Today, Bill's son, Lt. Col. Greg Anders, is the regular pilot of "Val-Halla", and they can be seen participating in airshows around the western United States, including as part of the USAF Heritage Flight Foundation.As always, every detail has been done to match the real aircraft as close I could get, including the slight difference in shade of the silver paint on the some exterior panels, the bare metal panels/sections around the fuselage, the unique stencils/graphics, cockpit and wheel well finishes, etc.
    Jaw dropping!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Members who have read this thread: 6