CFS3 TOW Pt.1 1940-1942.zip readmes and docs.zip:–

https://www.mediafire.com/file/swqng...-1942.zip/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ehltv..._docs.zip/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/q9dc6...lders.zip/file

and of course A.I.Radar_v1.2.rar – there are 3 choices:–

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ps4dm..._v1.2.rar/file

or https://www.mediafire.com/file/xhjcq..._v1.2.zip/file

or at SOH http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum....php?catid=164

Installation of CFS3 TOW Pt. I 1940-42 (read the full info in the 'mustread' document)

NOTE: There in no cfs3.exe file in any download. It is assume that you have CFS3 and can copy the cfs3.exe file from one of you other installs.
    The same applies to the MultiCFS3.exe file.

Ankor’s shaders are definitely required are not included, but as they have been adjusted specifically to night time conditions, I include separately my TextureMagic.ini file for the Shaders30 folder, and the d3d8.ini file for the main TOW Pt I folder. You must get the latest shaders from SOH at http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum....php?catid=161. Then either keep your .ini files, or replace the 2 files mentions totally or paste and copy mine’s content into yours.

1. In https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles there are several zip folders. The main Install folder is labeled “CFS3 TOW Pt. I 1940-42” Download this to your Desktop or where ever . Make a new folder and place the zip file in there, and use extract “extract here” to extract the folder “CFS3 TOW Pt. I 1940-42”

2.Place the folder in your main C drive, or which ever drive you want. I do not suggest placing it in any program folder. Copy and paste cfs3.exe into the CFS3 TOW Pt. I 1940-42 folder.

3. Copy your MultiCFS3.exe into the install, to rename the installation “CFS3 TOW Pt. I 1940-42”. or whatever name you want.

4. Activate the cfs3config.exe file to set your configuration settings as high as your equipment will allow and I have included elsewhere the one I use as a starter.

5. There should be no random spawns in this install as basically they would be inappropriate. Just in case, there is a “02 No spawns.bat” file included with a shortcut that can be copied and pasted elsewhere.

6. The uimusic default setting is the Luftwaffe’s “Komm_Zurück” For this and other default settings and alternatives, see Part 6 of 'mustread' doc.
    Last edited by hairyspin; April 5th, 2022 at 12:22. Reason: updated download locations

The title ‘The Other War’ or the acronym, TOW, comes from my adaption of a seminal book’s title by Peter Hinchliffe called ‘The Other Battle, Luftwaffe Night Aces versus Bomber Command’, the first book I got on the subject probably 17 years go; the first of an ever increasing library. I changed the ‘battle’ to ‘war; as I believe that is a more accurate description of 5 years aerial warfare, at night, between the RAF Bomber and Fighter commands, and the Luftwaffe ‘Kampfgeschwarder’ and ‘Nachtjagdgeschwarder’ units. Later of course, with the arrival of the United States on the European front, the aerial war was continued into daytime operations, but that is another story!

The stand alone CFS3 install represents the ideas and work, spanning over many years, mainly by Ted ‘Nachtpiloten’ Kaniuka, who produced many excellent aircraft and other features for the Luftwaffe defense efforts, often by irritating prodding by me. We are of course indebted to many others, and these will be acknowledged below, with apologies to those many that we are also indebted to but I have not named through ignorance.

This ‘Must Read’ document is broken up into several sections, some of which exist also in their own right as separate documents.

Acknowledgements

Firstly, this install is based on original work done by the ETO team covering all versions of that install. I therefore enclose, with other documents, the CFS3 ETO Expansion Cumulative Update Rev 1.4 where the credits for contributors can be found on page 38. many of the ETO features and items are directly transferred from the ETO install to this TOW install.

Ted ‘NachtPiloten’ Kaniuka, made many of the models for RAF and LW aircraft, and in addition has modified some others’ models. In general, each model should have in its xdp file, reference to those involved. My apologies if there are any omissions. NachtPiloten also did most of the work and the ‘Kammhuber Line’ or ‘Himmellbett’

John ‘Brave/4’ Whelan is responsible for many of the aircraft paint jobs, not only for those done for various model makers, but also for versions that I had specifically requested.

Stephan ‘sdsbolt’ Seybolt made what I consider a game changing app allowing British Night Fighter aircraft to have radar and or Fighter Control features, and Luftwaffe bombers to have ‘knickebein’ navigation, the Nachtjagd fighters to have Fighter Control , and both to have ILS Lorenz landing features. ( More on that below). In addition he has contributed to aircraft modeling and adaptation.

Rob ‘Captain Winters’ Stevenson has done much work on aircraft xdps and other features, as well as giving much good advice.

AnKor for the marvelous Shaders which are used here in a special nighttime setting.

Andy ‘MajorMagee’ Magee for his contribution to the use of Ankor’s Shaders, and that includes work on +clights and +nlights, as well as his work on dynamic reticles, all of which are used throughout the install.

Daniel ‘gecko’ Holtz. whose work, among other things, on Target Indicator (TIs) and flare effects has been essential, and will be more so in upcoming Parts 2 and 3.
    Clive ‘Pat Pattle’ Morely who helped on various airbases features and gave me plenty of useful advice.

Joost ‘Frosty’ who has long helped me with making Gmax items; again even more essential in upcoming TOW Parts 2 and 3.

John ‘SPQR’ Turek Jr. helped with building damage facilities, and some weather files.

Loic ‘Led Zepplin’ Bourdais, who did some missions which I have appropriated and changed somewhat.

Ton ’Foute Man’ Tanke whose Luftwaffe Blitz bomber adaptations are used here.

David ‘Daiwilletti’ who has assisted with many problems which have come up in many areas. Also his work with MajoMagee on sorting out the effects.xml

Rafael Dipper who did buildings work for and with me for German defenses a long time ago.

Fredrick ‘ronnybengt’ Magnusson who did paints for some NJ aircraft way back!

Steven190 who did alternative TI brackets

exc141ac for alternative HUD gauges

There are no doubt countless others who have either contributed indirectly through other installs, as well as those who have contributed over the years to this project. My apologies to those whom I have neglected to name.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

All inquiries should be as a PM to me and I will supply a dedicated email for this install to you.

The ETO acknowledgement is https://www.mediafire.com/file/sjrls...eadme.pdf/file

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon4 Wunderbar!

Well this little add on should give the old girl some new life. Remember, eat some carrots, draw the blinds, turn off the lights, and fly into the 1940's dark skies. Good Hunting!

Thanks for this guys, I know a lot of effort went into it!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Congratulations, boys!!! I am exited to see what you have concocted!!

Only 15 years? A man has got to have a hobby, doesn't he?

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Blog Entries
    Well done James!! I'll grab it ready for the weekend. I can't remember when we first met in that pub but I'm sure you were talking about it then!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    Well done James!! I'll grab it ready for the weekend. I can't remember when we first met in that pub but I'm sure you were talking about it then!
    Well it was before you moved to N A for sure! Thanks but don' forget Ted who is the co author!

Well done, Ted, James et al, I can't remember when this project was first talked of but it's great to see it come to fruition! Hinchliffe's book was also my introduction to the night war when a local secondhand bookshop happened to have a copy in their latest stock.

A new book which I'm currently enjoying deals with the formation and use of the RAF Pathfinder force to greatly improve night bombing accuracy to devastating effect. It's The Path Finders by Will Iredale and is published in the UK by WH Allen.

Right, put that light out, no radio chatter and keep your eyes peeled for nightfighters!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2020
    OK James and Ted, this is way above and beyond the call of duty. Is it the case that some of the radar technology represented here is unique to flight simulation? This provides a vast new sandpit for CFS3 afficionados.

Well done guys you must be thrilled to see Pt I come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    OK James and Ted, this is way above and beyond the call of duty. Is it the case that some of the radar technology represented here is unique to flight simulation? This provides a vast new sandpit for CFS3 afficionados.

Well done guys you must be thrilled to see Pt I come to fruition.
    Thanks mate! As far as the A.I. Radar app is concerned, I heard rumours that one of the IL2 installs had something, but I doubt it was so inclusive as to do

-Fighter Control for both the RAF and LW
    -Knickebein Navigation beam
    -Lorenz ILS (Instrument Landing) beam
    -Both RAF and LW NJ radar.

So all LW bomber and NJ missions required the app, even if it's just for the Lorenz ILS feature.

I strongly suggest that people print the Missions BC NJ TOW1, LW Mission navigation TOW1, and RAF Mission navigationTOW1 documents before doing missions.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    All inquiries should be as a PM to me and I will supply a dedicated email for this install to you.

The ETO acknowledgement is https://www.mediafire.com/file/sjrls...eadme.pdf/file
    Congrats to all involved, I'm sure it will be very immersive.

Just so I understand if we have or find any issues we are to PM you and not put it in this thread?
    I have to ask, wouldn't it be better to have all the questions and answers in the one thread so you don't have to keep potentially answering the same question over and over again heaven forbid that should occur?

Once again thank you to all involved.

Mick

You should certainly put any queries on this thread. What I meant was, if you need more detailed help or additional/replacement files, then email communication might be useful. I won't put that addy here but can give it to anyone who pm's me.

All downloaded!!

I shall endeavour to install it this coming Sunday. I will not be stressed after a days work and fully relaxed after a day flying RC plane`s on the Saturday.

It will also allow a few days for others to pave the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    You should certainly put any queries on this thread. What I meant was, if you need more detailed help or additional/replacement files, then email communication might be useful. I won't put that addy here but can give it to anyone who pm's me.
    Understood thank you

Mick

Some nice screen shots with great effects here!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to all involved. Will get it downloaded and installed as soon as possible. So looking forward to this great addition ! Regards,Scott

In case you're having trouble with the TOW Mosquito FB Mkvi sight try this location:

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="US_AAF_L3a_gunsight" PosX="-0.30" PosZ="1.15" PosY="0.860" Pitch="89.5" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Nice! I installed it via readme and cant get it to work. I clcik on cfs 3.exe and the splash screen starts goes away and nothing happens. My other cfs 3 east front modded works. I use an older pc with Vista OS. I did the config file and my drivers are updated. Any ideas?

I'm having pretty much the same problem, although at first I got the message that aac_city_block_6 was "corrupted or otherwise invalid". I open the file to find a missing close tag and fixed it and then ended up in the splash screen only situation too. :-(

I will look into this again this afternoon Central time. I have no problem on my PC, and I can re upload it to mediafire later today.

Intel(R) Core(TM) 17-2600 CPU 2 3.40GHz 3.70GHz

RAM 16Gb DDD3 (2 X 8Gb)
    MB: Asus M4N68T-MV2
    Vid Card: NVidia Gforce GTX 970
    C Drive 1Tb SSD
    D Drive 500Gb SSD

E 1Tb HD

F Drive: 2 x Seagate BarracudaGreen 2TB Hds in RAID
    G 3 Tb HD
    Power: PSU Seasonic X750 Gold 750W

Monitor: 55” Samsung TU7000 + 2 27"Acer Monitors

Track IR5.

OK I did the following
    1. Downloaded the install from mediafire
    2. Unzipped it on my desktop
    3.Moved it to C:\ NOT program files
    4. Copied in
    -cfs3.exe
    -MultiCFS3.exe
    -shaders30 folder
    -various d3d8 files, or rather all in my other install(s)

4. Ran cfs3config.exe AFTER changing comparability to XP SP3, not SP2

5. Ran cfs3.exe AFTER changing comparability to XP SP3, not SP2

Install worked on a mission straight away.

Now there was an issue with QC, in that I have changed what the P47 is; the name is the same but the aircraft is a Douglas Boston MkIII medium bomber masquerading as a P47. So the xdp shows Category="tactical_bomber" Country="britain" .
    This means it CTD on QC missions as a fighter! So don't do QC missions using the so called P47 as a fighter. It does ground attack and free flight fine.

So I have no problems with the uploaded install after following those procedures. Are these the ones that you guys followed?

Having said that, I might tidy up one or 2 small things that I have noticed and upload a new version tonight or tomorrow night.

Also the ViewUI.xml from TOW required or alternative files folders is much better, IMHO.

Report back on your exact procedure if there is still an issue and we will try and go from there.

I actually had some success:

When running cfs3config.exe, I originally just ran it until it said CFS3 had been configured (figuring I would adjust things within the game or by modifying the config overrides by hand). That didn't work. However, if I run cfs3config.exe, set the resolution in it, and turn off dual pass render in it, it ran! Not sure the latter is necessary. But I am up and running.

Question: Is the WOFF scenery compatible with TOW? My cursory examination suggests not.

Quote Originally Posted by Threedp View Post
    I actually had some success:

When running cfs3config.exe, I originally just ran it until it said CFS3 had been configured (figuring I would adjust things within the game or by modifying the config overrides by hand). That didn't work. However, if I run cfs3config.exe, set the resolution in it, and turn off dual pass render in it, it ran! Not sure the latter is necessary. But I am up and running.

Question: Is the WOFF scenery compatible with TOW? My cursory examination suggests not.
    1. Glad to hear that! I always do cfs3config.exe first as I want to alter the ConfigOverrides.xml in the appdata folder to update its features from <TextureLimits> linr to the end.

2. Re WOFF; possibly. I have not tried as all the action is in the dark! I see no reason why not though.

Members who have read this thread: 18