RFN gauge bigger on screen

Thread: RFN gauge bigger on screen

RFN gauge bigger on screen

With a new computer and a new big screen some things are not adapted quite well. The menu's and aircraft selection srceen are tiny compared to what these were. I can live with that. But every time I want to fly and land a naval plane I have to adjust the RFN gauge with the mouse to get it bigger. Is there a solution for this 'problem'?

Cees

Never mind, I found a workaround.

Since I went to FSX Steam Edition after my November hard drive crash everything in FSX is smaller. I can barely read the red flight info and frame rate lines at the top of the screen, and the menu pages are smaller. I've tried different screen resolutions, that doesn't seem to change anything.

I found this solution several years ago, I cannot find who the author was, but I give whom ever credit. It worked for me. However, every Steam update may or may not require an update of the procedure. Hope this helps.

"Steam font size

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings,

I wrote a while back on how to increase the font size in the Steam platform. The trouble is, it reverts each time there is a Steam update.

If, like most of us, your gaming screen is in high resolution then the Steam fonts default size is ridiculously small. Currently, Steam doesn't give us any options to control this so it has to be done manually.

1) Exit Steam.

2) Browse your computer (or use the find tool) to go to this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\resource\styles\steam.styles

3) Right click on the steam.styles file and open it with Notepad.

4) Use Notepad's find feature to look for "font-size=" and change each one to whatever font you'd like.

5) Save the file and restart Steam.

Now here is the new part. Since that file will revert to Steam's default one all the time, the only way to retain your settings is to use what Steam calls a Skin. This is a customized overlay of the Steam interface.

1) Right click the steam.styles file you just edited and choose copy.

2) Browse to the following directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\skins

3) Create a directory with the name of your new Skin. It can be whatever you like, I just call mine Larger Fonts.

4) Underneath this new directory create new directories resources and then styles.

It should look like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\skins\Larger font\Resource\Styles

5) Paste your edited steam.styles into this styles directory.

6) Restart Steam.

7) From the Steam menu in the top left, go to Settings and then Interface.

8) Use the pull-down arrow under "Select the skin you wish Steam to use" and you should be able to choose Larger Font (or whatever you called your Skin).

9) Restart Steam and you should now have larger fonts which will remain through any updates. "

Mike, thanks for the how-to on the font size change!

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Mike, thanks for the how-to on the font size change!
    Glad it worked - a LOT more enjoyable, isn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Glad it worked - a LOT more enjoyable, isn't it!
    Mike, I said thanks before I went through your how-to on my own install and nothing happened to the font size in FSX-SE. Creating the new "Larger Font" style file went OK, I changed almost all the "font-size=" lines to 20 (they were mostly 14) and there's no change to anything, especially the Shift+Z info at the top of the screen when flying. Any suggestions?

Sorry you had problems - this may be an easier way:

Before opening FSX-SE, navigate to the execution file located in the main Steam FSX directory - it should be "FSX.EXE"

Right click on the file to select properties, and then the compatibility tab

scroll down to, and press, the "Change High DPI settings" button

check the override box and select "system (enhanced)" in the pull down menu

You may have to do this every time before opening Steam, but not sure.

Good luck --

Mike, this (see attached pic) is the Compatibility tab in the Properties for my fsx.exe file, I think it may be different from yours...? I don't have a "system (enhanced)" selection in a pull-down menu.
    I'm going to take another shot at changing the font size in the skins/style file with a larger number, if that doesn't work I'm gonna pack it in and go back to doing some normal flying. I'm due for new glasses, maybe then I can read the Shift+Z info lines better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compatibility_Tab.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	86255

Since I went to FSX Steam Edition after my November hard drive crash everything in FSX is smaller. I can barely read the red flight info and frame rate lines at the top of the screen, and the menu pages are smaller. I've tried different screen resolutions, that doesn't seem to change anything.
    Changing the screen resolution from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 solved it for me. FSX needs the latter, MSFS2020 needs 3840x2160 on my system.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Changing the screen resolution from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 solved it for me. FSX needs the latter, MSFS2020 needs 3840x2160 on my system.

Cees
    Thanks, Cees. I will try that screen resolution. Maybe that's what I had it set to before...?

TARPS - what windows version are you using??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    TARPS - what windows version are you using??
    Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
    OK, may be the problem; I use windows10, option for windows 8 used.

Members who have read this thread: 0