Kursk VVS Campaign Released! - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kursk VVS Campaign Released!

Another Update:

I have finished cleaning up 3 campaign .cmg files, organized the missions for them and fixed 2 and added 1 mission. I've also at least for now finished my required downloads and installation README. Now I am moving on to mission building for the fourth and last phase of the battle - the Soviet counteroffensive in the south.

Here are a couple of "sceenies" from one of my fixed missions.

Cheers:

SW07
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KSC8.jpg   KSC7.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Great work and a Happy New Year to you Greg!
    Thanks very much for taking on this monumental task.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

This one is getting huge, gonna be a monster when it's complete. From what I can see in your posts, looks like a really nice mix of planes and mission types too. Keep 'er up, plenty of time left before your birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Great work and a Happy New Year to you Greg!
    Thanks very much for taking on this monumental task.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyman32 View Post
    This one is getting huge, gonna be a monster when it's complete. From what I can see in your posts, looks like a really nice mix of planes and mission types too. Keep 'er up, plenty of time left before your birthday!
    My pleasure Kevin. And a Happy New Year to you too.

Scobyman32: i have about 20 missions to do and the rest is pretty much finished. My birthday would be nice, but it will probably be in early February before I wrap this one up. I will continue to publish updates...

Cheers:

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Another Night Bombing Mission

This one is a large mission, using 2 of Rami's layouts - a supply dump and ammo dump for a total of 516 static objects. The FLAK was heavy...

"title_string"=A_Kursk-SC_BOS-Belgorod Night Strike-3-1A
    "summary_string"=Dobry vecher (Good evening), comrades. Our mission for tonight is a raid on a fascist supply, fuel and ammunition complex SW of Belgorod and about 3 1/2 miles east of Ugrim airfield. Krasny, you will take off at 0200 hours and together with Bely and Siny, fly 57 miles south on a 178 degree heading to RP-KEDR. From KEDR, come left to 144 degrees and proceed at 240 kts and at 5,000 feet, 15 miles to your target - A vehicular park and fuel dump - at RP-VISHNYA. Saturate the area with bombs and continue SW for 5 miles, turning right to RP-TOPOL', where you will all regroup and make your second run on targets. Yours, Krasny is the ammo dump at RP-SOSNA. Attack with any remaining bombs and gunfire any targets remaining after Bely's initial strike. Continue NE to RP-DUB, reassemble there and return to base on a heading of 340 degrees. Good luck, comrades!
    "objective_string"=After the withdrawal of so many Luftwaffe units to the west, air superiority was now in Soviet hands. At the beginning of August, the Axis forces amounted to only 350 aircraft in service, including those from the 2nd Hungarian Air Brigade. In total, the Soviets fielded 1,435 aircraft. In the early morning hours of August 3rd, the Axis defenders were attacked by night bombers of the 6th Air Corps as well as by bombers from the 208th NBAD of the 2nd Air Army. The 'Polkovodets Rumyantsev' aviation and artillery preparation started 2 hours before the main attack , and about 6,000 guns and 500 aircraft participated. This mission is launched in keeping with one of the air objectives of the High Command, i.e. 'Interdict and disrupt the movement of enemy supplies and reserves within and into the battle area.'
    "intelligence_string"=Tonight's weather is excellent - calm winds, light clouds above 10,000 feet, nominal visibility. Your target is well protected by PVO (AAA) and random night-fighter patrols. We are sending a flight of our only available night-fighters to cover you. A flight of pathfinders from ADD (Long Range Aviation) will drop flares one minute ahead of you to mark the target. The Nazi installations you will be attacking are a major forward supply depot for the units our forces will be assaulting in the morning. Hit them hard and come home safe!
    "player_aircraft_name_string"=ALPHA Douglas Boston III Soviet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KSC9.jpg   KSC10.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Does anyone know?

The burning barrels (AF_BrningOilBrrl) used for runway lights, once lit for take off on a night mission
    , do they burn out? Must they be re-lit/re-spawned for landing at mission end or will they stay lit?

SW07

PS:

I just finished a Pe-2, strike mission. The strike is against a dug-in artillery regiment, heavily defended by AAA. There are so many infrastructure objects that I had to create a GSL for the non9firing elements,
    I will test fly it and try to get some screenshots later today.

Cheers
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Think those barrels burn continuously, but I'll test out inan old Battle of the Bismarck Sea mission I remember. Will get back to you.

Update:

Thanks, scoobyman32. I have them re-spawning at my landing waypoint, just in case.

I've completed and tested 2 more missions. Both are against the same artillery regiment, heavily defended by AAA. One is in a P-39 assigned an AAA elimination mission, while the other is in a Pe-2 on the hunt for "Wespe" SP guns.

In the screenshots: The P-39K has already destroyed a 20mm, 37mm and 88mm guns and is looking for additional targets of opportunity; my Pe2 sent wingmen to attack enemy SP guns, and I attacked with bombs their HQ and FDC center. I scored quite a few hits, but FLAK flipped me into a spin as I was pulling out of my dive and I crashed and burned. (so sad). Pic 2: You could get out and walk on the FLAK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belgorod-3.jpg   Belgorod-1.jpg   Belgorod-2.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

See what you mean, pic 1 looks damn scarry!

Love the texture on the Pe-2, don't think I've seen that one before. Keep it up pal, these look like a lot of fun. My flak evasion skills will probably need some brushing up.

See what you mean, pic 1 looks damn scarry!

Love the texture on the Pe-2, don't think I've seen that one before. Keep it up pal, these look like a lot of fun. My flak evasion skills will probably need some brushing up.
    Yes, sir. FLAK evasion is a must. But he mission also contains a squadron of P-39Ks, tasked with suppressing the AAA. The trick is to hold down your speed and not charge right in and let the P-39s do their work first.

I just finished one monster intercept mission where your victory conditions rely on how many armored vehicles you can save from wave after wave of Ju-87 attacks. The mission has: up to 66 aircraft; 60 moving objects; 31 triggers; 24 events; 12 goals (5 hidden). It was a 2 day build, and I'm test flying and fine tuning it later this afternoon.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

This is going to be a monster campaign when it's finished.
    Keep up the good work sir.

Raid on Ugrim airfield SW of Belgorod:

"title_string"=A_Kursk-SC_La5-Neutralize Ugrim Airbase-4-2ET
    "summary_string"=Dobry den' (Good day). Our target for today, comrades is Ugrim airfield. Volk, Lev, your mission is complicated. You are to go in ahead of the main strike force and suppress fascist AAA positions on the eastern side of the airstrip with rockets and gun fire. Volk, in addition, you are to attack and destroy the enemy radar site on the west central section of the airstrip at RP-NIKOLAI, then both of you climb back to 8,000 feet and provide fighter protection for the attacking Il-2 aircraft. Your take off is at 1127 hours. You will fly 29 miles on a 270 heading to RP-LEONID, where you will join with the strike group - an Il-2 squadron. Continue SW for 24 miles ahead of the SG to your targets then assume your CAP/intercept roles. Follow up on the SG's second run on the airfield by strafing enemy aircraft and support facilities. Regroup at RP-SIMEN and return to base.
    "objective_string"=In keeping with the 3rd objective, set forth by the High Command: 'To maintain air superiority and reliably cover the main ground formations on the front from the attention of enemy aviation and to destroy the enemy's aircraft on the ground and in the air,.' the Red Air Force carried out strikes against forward deployed Axis airfields. After the withdrawal of so many Luftwaffe units to the West and Donbass region, for a more intensive use of aviation, 8th Air Army had re-positioned some of its units - fighter, attack and antitank aircraft - to some of the most forward airbases. These fell under attack.
    "intelligence_string"=Today's weather is excellent - calm winds; light clouds above 10,000 feet; 15 miles visibility. Your target is well protected by PVO (AAA) and may even try to launch aircraft to oppose you. Random fighter patrols and fighters from other airfields may also join in the battle once Fritz suspects that Ugrim is the target. Once you and the Il-2s join at RP-LEONID and vector towards RP-MIKAIL, they will know for sure, so stay alert. Intel reports that the enemy is about to evacuate this base in the face of gains by our advancing ground forces. We have the opportunity of destroying or damaging a significant number of his first-line aircraft on the ground which he won't have time to repair or salvage.
    "player_aircraft_name_string"=Lavochkin La-5F
    "airfield_string"=URSS_Novy Oskol-Solonets

I managed to destroy a radar site and a few other facilities and shot down 2 FW-190s.

Cheers:

SW07
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ugrim-2.jpg   Ugrim-1.jpg   Ugrim-3.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

You have certainly gone above and beyond on this SW. I'm sure when finished it'll be a real masterpiece and a great addition to have. I seldom fly missions but this one as me very interested indeed. Looking forward to its release, keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Aussie

Thank you Aussie. It took me a while to build this one and the previous two with German artillery regiment as the target and covering the attack of a Soviet mechanized rgt, because of all the infrastructure involved and "life" interference, but all three are fun missions to fly.

I won't meet the proposed release of my birthday - Jan 29th - but I am rapidly drawing close to the end. I need about 12-15 more missions to do.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon25 Finished another one

... I will also do the Il-2 version of the same mission next. I have to test fly this one tonight and work out any bugs first.

"title_string"=A_Kursk-SC_La5-Akhtyrka Convoy Strike-4-3A
    "summary_string"=Dobry den' (Good afternoon). Comrades, we are tasked with an urgent call to strike a large fascist vehicular convoy. Volk, you and Lev will take off immediately after this briefing. Climb to 9,000 feet and on a heading of 270 degrees fly for 32 miles to RP-DUB. There you will link up with a squadron of Il-2s at 1915 hours. Proceed SW from DUB to RP-SOSNA - 21 miles at 240 degrees. You, once again will lead in the bombers with suppression of AA units as your primary goal. If enemy fighters are on-station or make an appearance, you are to break off and engage. Otherwise expend your rockets and cannon on the convoy. After the shturmoviki have concluded their attacks, follow them to RP-TOPOL' from where you will return to base.
    "objective_string"=By now the Axis had retreated a considerable part of their forces to the south and southwest, primarily from Belgorod to Kharkov. Some of the retreating columns included hundreds of trucks with several tanks among them. One such column was spotted by reconnaissance planes of the 511th Recon Air Regiment near the city of Akhtyrka, and all available bomb and attack units of two air armies were immediately called upon to strike - and with great success. The aviators of the 5th Air Army, for example added 35 tanks and 150 trucks to their records.
    "intelligence_string"=This afternoon's weather continues to be excellent - calm winds, light clouds above 10,000 feet and 15 miles visibility. Your target is not as well protected by PVO (AAA) as this morning's target, but random fighter patrols and an on-station CAP are possible. You and the Il-2 squadron from the 266th ShAD (Attack Aviation Div). will be in the vanguard of an all out assault by our air army. Others will follow up just minutes behind you. Your flight path will lead the Nazis to think we are attacking Ugrim again, which should draw off some of his fighters long enough for you to get a clean first shot at the target. We have an excellent opportunity to deal a crushing blow to our enemy. Good luck comrades and man your planes!
    "player_aircraft_name_string"=Lavochkin La-5F

Hopefully, screenshots to follow...

Cheers:

Shadow Wolf 07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Take your time pal, the longer I wait the greater the satisfaction. Mostly I'm looking forward to learning about more battles and engagements that took place on the Eastern Front, and I can see there's been a lot of research here too.

Will this run as one single campaign, or will it be split into smaller parts? Just curious as I know I'll play right through them either way.

Keep up the great work!

Take your time pal, the longer I wait the greater the satisfaction. Mostly I'm looking forward to learning about more battles and engagements that took place on the Eastern Front, and I can see there's been a lot of research here too.

Will this run as one single campaign, or will it be split into smaller parts? Just curious as I know I'll play right through them either way.

Keep up the great work!
    I have at least 3 completed and I am working on the 4th. One campaign is for each phase of the battle - Northern Sector defensive and counter offensive phases and the same for the Southern Sector. I may do 2 more with a pure fighter and a pure bomber campaigns.

I asked the same question as you and decided to go with the majority of views. Thank you for yours!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Not great pics but I have 2 more missions completed and tested. My next ones will be a raid on a rail yard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Akhtyrka-A-1.jpg   Akhtyrka-B-1.jpg   Akhtyrka-B-2.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

"I've been workn on the rail road..."

Hitting the RR station and depot at Bogodukhov...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bogodukhov-2.jpg   Bogodukhov-1.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

...and the La-5 version of the same mission:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bogodukhov-4.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Railyard looks great DW, love the lighting, keep the screenies coming!

- - - Updated - - -

SW. Sorry mate, I usually don't comment from my phone!

Icon25 Another Update:

Railyard looks great DW, love the lighting, keep the screenies coming!

- - - Updated - - -

SW. Sorry mate, I usually don't comment from my phone!
    scoobyman32: Thanks for the compliment. I didn't load the CFS2_Mega_GSL_Railway_Package by Robert John, because it would have caused a serious overload of my Objectsdp folder. So I used LW, xavierb and stock objects and built a reasonable RR station and yard. The lighting is the result of a hit on one of LW's water towers that I modified to explode like a fuel tank.

My next mission is a bomber intercept, which I will test fly tonight after supper. Hopefully, screenshots will follow:

"title_string"=A_Kursk-SC_Yak-1-Mikoyanovka Intercept-7-1CT
    "summary_string"=Dobry den' (Good afternoon). Comrades, we are tasked with protecting our ground forces from attack by fascist aviation. Krasny, your patrol area is across the front lines, from 10 miles east to 10 miles west of Tomarovka. Your take off is at 1230 hours. Climb to 8,000 feet, fly on a heading of 266 degrees for 58 miles to RP-KOLDUN, where will start your patrol. Intercept and destroy or turn back any enemy aircraft entering your 'zone'. Your flight will be relieved before your ammunition is expended. At that point, return to base to rearm and refuel.
    "objective_string"=In some cases the Soviet fighters spoiled the Nazi attacks by selfless actions. On 7 August a six Yak-1 formation of the 236th IAP of the 201st IAD (led by Junior Lieutenant Yumkin) attacked four He-111 bombers in the vicinity of Mikoyanovka. The bombers flew without air cover and tried to hide in the clouds. Senior Sergeant Piskunov persistently followed one of the bombers, used up all of his ammunition and then ram attacked the enemy. The damaged fighter then made an emergency landing at the field. Commander of III/KG27, Hauptmann K. Mayer was seriously wounded in this air combat, but managed to return to Kharkov-Voytchenko. The situation continued to be quite difficult for the Axis...
    "intelligence_string"=This afternoon's weather continues to be fair with calm winds, mostly overcast, 9,000-13,000 feet and 15 miles visibility. You are to patrol the area of 1st Tank Army's main attack and neutrltize any enemy attempts to disrupt it. You will be close to if not over the front lines, so you can expect to encounter enemy AAA ass well as possible friendly fire from our own gunners.
    "player_aircraft_name_string"=Yak-1b summer No.48

Cheers:

SW 07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I adjusted the mission so that as soon as we make contact, the formation(s) of He-111s climb 500 feet into the clouds. Ir makes them much harder to engage.

Can anyone recommend a darker gun-sight reticle than the pale yellow one I currently have? The current one makes it very hard to line up targets in the air against a light colored or cloud background. Also, as you can see I need a new prop disc for the Yak-1b... suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ambush-01.jpg   Ambush-02.jpg   Ambush-03.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Just finishing another mission: Yak-5s vs Bf-109s It is a 1-1 odds, dogfight.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Just finishing another mission: Yak-5s vs Bf-109s It is a 1-1 odds, dogfight.
    Yak-5? no they are Yak-7s. The mission is similar to the one just above, but it is fighter vs fighter in this one:

"title_string"=A_Kursk-SC_Yak-7-Shootout over Tomarovka-7-2DT
    "summary_string"=Dobry den' (Good afternoon), comrades. We are tasked with establishing and maintaining air superiority over and defending our ground forces from attack by the Luftwaffe. Barsuk, you and the rest of your squadron's patrol area is over the front, a ten mile radius, centered over Tomarovka. Take off is at 1545 hours. Climbing to 11,000 feet, fly on a heading of 265 degrees for 59 miles to RP-KOLKHOZ, from where you will relieve Bogatyr's squadron and begin your patrol. Intercept and destroy or turn back any enemy aircraft entering your 'zone'. You will be reinforced and relieved within 30 minutes after your first contact and before your ammunition is expended. At that time, return to base to rearm and refuel for your next mission. Questions?
    "objective_string"=In the face of solid Soviet air superiority, it was decided to strenghten the Luftwaffe units in the shortest possible time. During 7-10 August, no fewer than 8 air groups with some 270-280 aircraft were relocated to the area. Multiple engagements spread over the battle area, and no side achieved air superiority as the situation changed rapidly. Squadron commander, Captain A.V. Vorozheikin, 728th IAP of the 256th IAD recalled one dogfight which took place over Tomarovka: 'I just managed to rush out of a ball of fire and smoke and immediately spotted a Nazi fighter. I fired several bursts from my cannon and hit him, though not fatally. He made some wide rolls and I followed but was unable to get him into my cross-hairs. Being concerned about another enemy pair, I dropped the agile Bf-109, and looked around for another target...'
    "intelligence_string"=This afternoon's weather is forecast to be good - calm winds, partly cloudy from 11,000-14,000 feet and 15 miles visibility. The enemy has been trying to slow or stop 1st Tank Army's main attack all day with his aviation. You must neutralize any of Fritz's attempts to disrupt our attack. You may encounter a fighter sweep ahead of the next wave of Nazi bombers. You must destroy or damage as many of them as possible. Your relief will deal with the bombers. Also, you will be close to if not over the front lines, so you can expect to encounter enemy AAA as well as possible friendly fire from our own gunners.

Cheers:

SW07

BTW: The 109 in the screenshot below is toast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs2 2023-02-14 22-25-13-69.jpg  
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; February 15th, 2023 at 09:28.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 1