FS9 to FSX Conversion Problems... Again

Thread: FS9 to FSX Conversion Problems... Again

FS9 to FSX Conversion Problems... Again

Back in October of 2020 I successfully converted Paul Clawson's TBD-1 Devastator to FSX with the help of MCX, Tom Gibson's tutorial, and several knowledgeable folks here at SOH. Sadly I lost the plane and my work files in a recent HD crash so I'm trying again. As before I am having a hard time getting the props (still/slow/blurred) to work properly, and now I have a new problem: a solid gray canopy and windscreen except for one clear section (see attached). All other animations are working OK. I haven't worked on the VC yet, I want to get the exterior mdl to display and work properly first. Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TBD_Canopy.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	86122

SOH-CM-2022
    What specifically is the issue with the props?

the glass texture is probably a texture transparency issue. In the material editor find the texture that is the glass.

Now in Framebuffer Blend set
    Destination Blend InvSrcAlpha
    Source Blend SrcAlpha

And you should have transparent glass.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post
    What specifically is the issue with the props?

the glass texture is probably a texture transparency issue. In the material editor find the texture that is the glass.

Now in Framebuffer Blend set
    Destination Blend InvSrcAlpha
    Source Blend SrcAlpha

And you should have transparent glass.

Gavin
    Hi Gavin,
    I've merged the prop0_slow and prop0_blurred mdl objects into the main TBD mdl and made sure their animation and visibility tags are correct but when I start the aircraft I don't get the transition to the spinning prop arc that's supposed to appear. Same problem I had with the first conversion but with your assistance and Tom's tutorial I got it sorted out. Don't know what I'm doing wrong this time around.
    Let me try your Material editor suggestion for the canopy glass.

props for FSX native

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Hi Gavin,
    I've merged the prop0_slow and prop0_blurred mdl objects into the main TBD mdl and made sure their animation and visibility tags are correct but when I start the aircraft I don't get the transition to the spinning prop arc that's supposed to appear. Same problem I had with the first conversion but with your assistance and Tom's tutorial I got it sorted out. Don't know what I'm doing wrong this time around.
    Let me try your Material editor suggestion for the canopy glass.
    I use good old GMAX/fsx to create the prop_still, prop_slow, prop_blurred animation (remember 4 times 90° around). Convert to FSX model object and add it to the native model. In MDLx, set default transparant. Sometimes the prop.bmp or DDS has to be adapted.
    success, A.F.

Gavin's instructions for the MCX Materials Editor got the canopy glass clear, although there is one section that's a different shade of transparency. As for the props, when I start the plane it goes from still prop to rotating slow prop but doesn't make the transition to blurred where all you see is the round prop arc. There is a prop arc texture (TBD Prop.bmp) but I don't know how it interacts with the blurred prop part.

SOH-CM-2022
    The only trick with the props is if the FS9 model has props that rotate counter clockwise. If you go into the aircraft.cfg file and in the [Propeller] section there is a line that says "rotation=-1" then the props will not display correctly.
    Set this to "rotation=1" and all will be well.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post
    The only trick with the props is if the FS9 model has props that rotate counter clockwise. If you go into the aircraft.cfg file and in the [Propeller] section there is a line that says "rotation=-1" then the props will not display correctly.
    Set this to "rotation=1" and all will be well.
    Gavin
    The rotation line was one of the first things I checked for when I referred to Tom Gibson's tutorial and there wasn't one in the cfg file.

Members who have read this thread: 0