DSB/IRIS F-15C/D/J/DJ refresher project
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DSB/IRIS F-15C/D/J/DJ refresher project

DSB/IRIS F-15C/D/J/DJ refresher project

I have been playing with IRIS Eagle lately. Model is still amazing, but stock texture are a bit dated.
    Some WIP pics, more to come !
    Planning on a few USAF scheme, but will focus on JSDAF J/DJ variant with an astonishing number of anniversary/special liveries. I won't cover them all !

Cheers
    L'iguane

Looking forward to the refreshed Eagles.
    It always amazes me what can be done to quite old models with an overhauled paint job.
    Hartwig
    __________________________________________________ _____________

The start looks already good l'iguane!

Perhaps a small update from this one? I like this repaint a lot as it brings back memories, but there is always room for improvement.

Thanks Hartwig !

Huub, I will take a hand at painting this one !

Here are a few tries I did to incorporate a radar (Ollson F16) and a RWR (from Isra Mirage IIIS)
    Looks decent as the VC allows for backlighting at night.

More to come !
    L'iguane

The eagle flys

l'iguane, many thanks for starting new re-paints on this old classic from IRIS. Also many thanks for IRIS-DSB team for giving birth to the original models. They do say that whatever is good will always mature and become better. Talking about a/c here!

Look forward to your Japanese display skins. Great models to work on.

vonernsk

Quote Originally Posted by vonernsk View Post
    l'iguane, many thanks for starting new re-paints on this old classic from IRIS. Also many thanks for IRIS-DSB team for giving birth to the original models. They do say that whatever is good will always mature and become better. Talking about a/c here!

Look forward to your Japanese display skins. Great models to work on.

vonernsk
    Thanks Vonernsk

Progressing on the J/DJ japanese base livery, many almost invisible details (Pilot has been fully retextured, stenciling on the airframe is as accurate as possible and many other stuff)

Cheers
    L'iguane

Just out of curiosity: Are Japanese maintenance stencils written in English, in Japanese using "normal"western letters, or are they written in Japanese symbols?

In my country English is seen as the "international aviation language" so stencils are in English. Ages ago I saw the stencils on French and African aircraft were in French......

The paintwork is superb again

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Just out of curiosity: Are Japanese maintenance stencils written in English, in Japanese using "normal"western letters, or are they written in Japanese symbols?

In my country English is seen as the "international aviation language" so stencils are in English. Ages ago I saw the stencils on French and African aircraft were in French......

The paintwork is superb again

Cheers,
    Huub
    As far as I can say and according to technical drawings & model decals I inspirated from, some marking are in english/western letters and some are in japanese. No idea why
    It won't be that visible, as the resolution 1024x1024 and the texture mapping doesn't allow these marking to be readable. However these small details add a lot to global texture details.

Weapons textures slightly improved to fit the overall coloration & shadow.
    Fuel tanks fully retextured.

A few more adjustments and it will be ready to paint liveries on it.

Night lighting/formation lights adjusted

JASDF F-15J, 303rd TFS, Tac Meet 2003

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    Superbe, mon ami . . .

Merci Rohan
    Plenty more to come !

Simply beautiful and great work on the gentle weathering

Cheers,
    Huub

Looking forward to this update.

I'm still goofing around with the IRIS/DSB S-3 Viking. I had some serious issues adding repaints (one VC texture would lock up the whole sim) that I finally put to bed.
    This is due to the version of the plane I downloaded, not due to the re-painter.
    Still working on getting the engine fans to not "strobe" as bad as they do but I've given up trying to fix the cockpit lighting at night. The cockpit glass has a massive amount of glare
    at night and I think its coded into the MDL. The easy way to fix it is to turn the cockpit lighting off after the sun sets.

BTW, for you IRIS/DSB fans, I uploaded iris_fs9_f14ab_glass_and_slime.zip over at Flightsim.com.
    It adds a darker green windscreen panel or a blue tinted panel to the IRIS F-14 (A and B) Tomcat.
    Also included are "toned down" formation lights.

JSDAF 305th Squadron 40th Anniversary

Simply beautiful and great work on the gentle weathering

Cheers,
    Huub
    Thanks Huub,

Proper weathering is perhaps the most difficult to paint IMO. Too much and it won't look real. To little and it will look flat and "toy like". Many tries and erase before getting a gentle rendering, making it "alive".
    L'iguane

Quote Originally Posted by l'iguane View Post
    Thanks Huub,

Proper weathering is perhaps the most difficult to paint IMO. Too much and it won't look real. To little and it will look flat and "toy like". Many tries and erase before getting a gentle rendering, making it "alive".
    L'iguane
    I know! Often I spend as much time on the original paintkit as I do on the weathering. Good weathering has a story behind it and is easily overdone.

Your Japanese eagles are really stunning. It is great to see how much good textures for a quite dated model can do.

Cheers,
    Huub

These paint schemes look amazing!

While speaking about refreshing older models and weathering here is what I did to the IRIS F-14 Tomcat a few years ago.
    I posted this in the screenshots thread to not hijack l'iguane's thread about the F-15s.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1283780

I made quite a few of these gull-grey-over-white paint schemes.
    Since there was no reaction to a screenshot that I had posted at all I did not post more or even published anything of it.
    Hartwig

Quote Originally Posted by hawk_sh View Post
    These paint schemes look amazing!

While speaking about refreshing older models and weathering here is what I did to the IRIS F-14 Tomcat a few years ago.
    I posted this in the screenshots thread to not hijack l'iguane's thread about the F-15s.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1283780

I made quite a few of these gull-grey-over-white paint schemes.
    Since there was no reaction to a screenshot that I had posted at all I did not post more or even published anything of it.
    Hi Hartwig,
    I like that Tomcat very much Nicely done ! Is it available somewhere ?
    L'iguane

I know! Often I spend as much time on the original paintkit as I do on the weathering. Good weathering has a story behind it and is easily overdone.

Your Japanese eagles are really stunning. It is great to see how much good textures for a quite dated model can do.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Hi Huub,

Some USAF/USAFE liveries coming out, Soesterberg Wolfhounds on my list with a few others !
    Cheers
    L'iguane

Are you planning on any different levels of heat staining for the engines?

Quote Originally Posted by l'iguane View Post
    Hi Hartwig,
    I like that Tomcat very much Nicely done ! Is it available somewhere ?
    L'iguane
    Thank you.
    No, I have not published it anywhere yet.

I might start a separate IRIS F-14 refresher thread soon and show a bit more.
    However for now I would like to focus on the stuff that I am currently working on.

I will show this here when I am ready since there might be some interest in that too.
    Hartwig

Simply superb L!!

I admire but I'm not a huge fan of modern jets, but these texs are just beautiful. As said, I really like the pixelated cherry blossom version, but love the subtle weathering/wear, especially the drop tanks and underside of the 60th anniversary version...

Cheers

Shessi

Members who have read this thread: 1