Aerosoft will only produce dumbed-down aircraft for MSFS

Thread: Aerosoft will only produce dumbed-down aircraft for MSFS

Hybrid View

Icon4 Aerosoft might only produce dumbed-down aircraft for MSFS

Hi all,

I just found out these comments from the Aerosoft lead on their forums regarding their recently-released Twin-Otter:
    https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php...omment-1073903

If you read carefully, you will find the following critical statements:
    1- The TwinOtter was announced from the start as "aimed at the Xbox platform"
    2- They had to dumb-down many systems, use only default systems, restrict many things to keep the aircraft within the limited capacities of an XBox console
    3- They had to restrict many features that would prevent the plane from being available on the XBox market (I'm guessing the use of external modules required by complex systems)
    4- They say they are a business driven by sales volumes, and they want to see how big volumes will be for this XBox-compatible release (clearly, it will be superior to their previous release which was PC-only)
    5- They say they received many complains and support requests because the CRJ was too complex to use for a high percentage of the MSFS "average users".... understand: games who didn't ****.
    6- They say developping an aircraft that complies with the XBox limitations is extremely costly, more than an adcanced aicraft in P3D.

There are a few other points in later comments that clearly indicate they are ready to keep complying with the "dumbed-down" products since these are probably going to sell in the highest volumes.
    This basically means Aerosoft is clearly stating they have no interest at all in trying to produce realistic and detailed aircraft/systems anymore.
    To me, this basically means Aerosoft is out of the game from now on.
    What do you think ?
    Last edited by Daube; January 23rd, 2022 at 01:00. Reason: Modified title

Hello Daube,
    Just one word;
    Disappointing...

Quote Originally Posted by gribouil View Post
    Hello Daube,
    Just one word;
    Disappointing...
    But not surprising. This speaks volumes about the future of MSFS as a true simulator as opposed to an airplane simulation game. Flight simulation should be about all aspects of flight and include systems management. P3D, X-Plane and to a great extent Legacy FSX all meet that requirement. I don't believe that M$ ever wanted that for this platform as XBox is their gaming cash cow. Lets see how many of the other mega developers follow suit.

I think the colossal investments of M$ on MSFS are not dedicated to the simulation niche market and that many companies, the eye on sales, will take into account? But is it really a surprise?
    JMC

You summarize it very well.
    But the real disappointment is seeing this "theory" actually becoming reality.
    I mean, yes we will knew a dumb aircraft sold on the Xbox market place will outsell anything ever made for FSX, P3D or Xplane. But I was kind of hoping that aircraft editors would keep producing higher-level quality aircraft, while still benefiting from the higher sales volumes on PC only...

With respect- the Twotter (now that I have actually spent some time with her) isn't total rubbish. Yes, there are certainly some glaring issues that need a fix immediately. What is indisputable is that the flight model is representative, taxi is representative and once you start sucking seat on approach, you don't really have time to fixate on the issues, being way, way too preoccupied with making the TDZ. MK could use some softening, and perhaps some civility gets lost in translation, but all in all, Alex Metzger's skills more than make up for the sub par graphics, systems depth and sounds.

I believe Aerosoft is working hard on fixing their shortcomings, and I hope the Twotter blossoms into all she can be... she's had me sweating and smiling all at once, already!

C

I don't know why Aerosoft is being self-defeating.

I can understand that lots of x-box users want to use the MSFS as a sightseeing sim with simple to use aircraft. But this way, I can't understand that they are willingly to buy additional aircraft for that! The default MSFS aircraft do serve the purpose! One airliner, one Cessna, the F-18 near future and a helicopter - that's it.
    All users who are interested in flying more special aircraft or niche models, are interested in more detailed and more realistic systems. They are NOT the group of buyers Mr. Kok is looking for!
    Kids who are interested in those niche models maybe will pay 3 - 5 Dollars/Euro/Pouds for doing some flights with it. But not for the same price of an aircraft with all functional systems in P3D but restricted systems in X-Box. Why oh why?

I think Mr. Kok will fall flat on his face when he will going on with this strategy. The only customers who will pay high prices for this aircraft ARE the users who are interested in deeper system functionality! And those of all people he will ignore? These customers will not accept this weird decision, I am sure.
    Go on, Mr. Kok and go your wrong way, but faithful customers will not forget this....
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Go on, Mr. Kok and go your wrong way, but faithful customers will not forget this....
    That is exactly what he wants you (and the rest of us) to say, so that he can go to Microsoft and show them all the complaints so that they will create a better Xbox development process for complex aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    I don't know why Aerosoft is being self-defeating.

I can understand that lots of x-box users want to use the MSFS as a sightseeing sim with simple to use aircraft. But this way, I can't understand that they are willingly to buy additional aircraft for that! The default MSFS aircraft do serve the purpose! One airliner, one Cessna, the F-18 near future and a helicopter - that's it.
    All users who are interested in flying more special aircraft or niche models, are interested in more detailed and more realistic systems. They are NOT the group of buyers Mr. Kok is looking for!
    Kids who are interested in those niche models maybe will pay 3 - 5 Dollars/Euro/Pouds for doing some flights with it. But not for the same price of an aircraft with all functional systems in P3D but restricted systems in X-Box. Why oh why?

I think Mr. Kok will fall flat on his face when he will going on with this strategy. The only customers who will pay high prices for this aircraft ARE the users who are interested in deeper system functionality! And those of all people he will ignore? These customers will not accept this weird decision, I am sure.
    I don't think they will suffer from any bad consequences.
    We, serious simmers, are a ridiculous minority.
    If Aerosoft reaches a situation where "only XBox kids" buy their addons, they will still outsell anything they did on FSX or P3D. They will still earn much more money than they ever did.
    From MK speech on Aerosoft forums, I understand that we, serious simmers, are nothing but a nuisance, asking for addons that are too complex to develop and less revenue-generating in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    2- They had to dumb-down many systems, use only default systems, restrict many things to keep the aircraft within the limited capacities of an XBox console
    3- They had to restrict many features that would prevent the plane from being available on the XBox market (I'm guessing the use of external modules required by complex systems)
    What they didn't say, and should have done, is that there is no way of testing complex aircraft on Xbox during development.
    There is only a crude emulator which can confirm basic compatibility with Xbox, but it can't confirm that a specific engine or electrical failure will activate under certain conditions for example.
    It's the development process itself which has dumbed-down third-party development, not the developers themselves - this why PMDG pulled the DC-6 from the Marketplace in December - maybe in protest to Asobo and Xbox Games Studios?
    Maybe MK has taken a different approach to his own protest by saying that Aerosoft won't produce complex aircraft for MSFS full stop, in the hope that the buying public will protest loud and long to Asobo, Xbox Games Studios and Microsoft about this situation.

Members who have read this thread: 0