Carrier Ops (continuation) from MSFS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Ops (continuation) from MSFS

Blog Entries

Carrier Ops (continuation) from MSFS

A discussion on what DCS modules to purchase developed in the MSFS 2020 forum. A few thoughts.

I agree that the Flaming Cliffs module is a great first purchase. The F-15 alone is worth the price, and I (think?) you may get the Nevada/Nellis map with it.

As for Carrier Ops, unless someone really desires the F/A-18C, I suggest the free T45C be used for Carrier Ops until you are comfortable with traps. The T-45C, at least for me, is a lot easier to land on a carrier.

If you prefer to blow up sh..stuff the A-10 (paid version) is an excellent choice. If you need a fast mover, look into the F-16C. It too is excellent at blowing up things, both in the air and on the ground.

I have the F-86 and enjoy flying it in the pattern. I have not attempted any of the addon campaigns.

If you like the WWII era, the new Normandy map is excellent, and I have both the P-47 and P-51 to go with the two WWII maps. I have never survived a dog fight in the P-51. However, the graphics of getting your ass shot off are amazing.

I do not have any of the former Soviet aircraft. Having spent three years on nuclear alert during the Cold War, I have no desire to fly any USSR aircraft, but that is just me.

I do have the UH1 Huey, however, I have never tried to fly it. so, I can't say much about helicopters. I have read, however, that the flight models are excellent.

Just my thoughts.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

John (and All),

I have some experience with the F/A-18 around the carrier in DCS (and RW in the S-3A) and always use the "Missions" menu from F/A-18 and Supercarrier. There is a list of things I do and usually land in one piece. (I can list the procedure if anyone is interested.)

My question for John is how do you setup around the carrier using the T-45? Thanks.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    John (and All),

I ...
    My question for John is how do you setup around the carrier using the T-45? Thanks.
    Jay, Under Instant Action, the T-45 has two FAM flight missions. One is day and the other night. Both will put you engines running on the deck. You can then taxi to the catapult and launch using the normal procedures.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Ok, thanks John and Jay for setting this up ! Let's see if i can make this my second home here. ;-)

Because of all the Controller tribulations (not really sure i will be happy with having to setup controls for each and every aircraft i want to fly. Seems quite redundant to me atleast regarding aircraft controls and other basic operations. It's not like there's an *option* to either use this format or not, right ?...) i have only been fooling around with the P-51 around the default scenery.( got to say i could do this for hours what with the fantastic Fly-By View and totally amazing Merlin Sound ! ;-). Since i don't have either the F-14, F-18 or T-45 yet i have only been aboard the Russian carrier with the SU-33 (i think it was...) Nothing much to see there so i leave it maybe for later.

I will now install the T-45 and see what's up on the Nimitz deck. In the videos i saw it looks absolutely stunning ! I did get the impression that the deck crew only help you with launching (which looks awesome!) but not with parking after trap ?

One general question about DCS if i may: AFAIK it's 'only' prop-/jetfighters that are available sofar, right ? Is there any sign of f.i. a B-17 or even a C-47 we might welcome sooner or later in DCS ? And re carriers what about a COD, Greyhound, Trader, Tracker or Hawkeye ? Anything like that in the DCS pipeline that you guys know of ?....

Thanks very much sofar, gents, very exited about it, can't wait for my first launch ! ;-))

Cheers,
    Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Ok, thanks John and Jay for setting this up ! Let's see if i can make this my second home here. ;-)

Because of all the Controller tribulations (not really sure i will be happy with having to setup controls for each and every aircraft i want to fly. Seems quite redundant to me atleast regarding aircraft controls and other basic operations. It's not like there's an *option* to either use this format or not, right ?...) i have only been fooling around with the P-51 around the default scenery.( got to say i could do this for hours what with the fantastic Fly-By View and totally amazing Merlin Sound ! ;-). Since i don't have either the F-14, F-18 or T-45 yet i have only been aboard the Russian carrier with the SU-33 (i think it was...) Nothing much to see there so i leave it maybe for later.

I will now install the T-45 and see what's up on the Nimitz deck. In the videos i saw it looks absolutely stunning ! I did get the impression that the deck crew only help you with launching (which looks awesome!) but not with parking after trap ?

One general question about DCS if i may: AFAIK it's 'only' prop-/jetfighters that are available sofar, right ? Is there any sign of f.i. a B-17 or even a C-47 we might welcome sooner or later in DCS ? And re carriers what about a COD, Greyhound, Trader, Tracker or Hawkeye ? Anything like that in the DCS pipeline that you guys know of ?....

Thanks very much sofar, gents, very exited about it, can't wait for my first launch ! ;-))

Cheers,
    Jan
    Jan, It is not as complicated as it sounds. Most of the basic controls are standard from one airplane to another. If you set up the pitch and roll axises to your controller, they will work for other aircraft. Most of the controls that or commands that apply to one aircraft will apply to the rest. Where you will get differences is between specific controls. For example, the bomb arming switches may be different from the P-51 to P-47. Jets like the F-16 and F-18 will have different weapons command because they access the weapons differently.

As of now, the deck crew only help launch you. They may be some LSO radio calls, but I don't use the radio, so I can't say for sure.

Since DCS is a combat simulator, only aircraft with weapons capability (there are a couple exceptions) are controllable. Aircraft like C-17, B-52, or AI only.

Down the road...Razban is working on a F-15E, which like the F-14 should have an AI WSO. Eagle Dynamics should release the Apache soon. Dino is coming out with a DCS version of the 339. There is a free A-29 Tucano out there and a free F-22. I "think" someone is working on the F-4 Phantom, but I can't say for sure.

Be aware that Eagle Dynamics often releases an "Early Release". The aircraft will be half price and will have maybe two thirds of the weapons and systems operational. They then add weapons and weapons systems over a couple of years until the airplane is finished. I think it is a good deal. All the major systems work, and the price is right. To give you an example the F-18C just recently got ground mapping radar and the weapons which depend on it. You could drop bombs before, just not the latest smart weapons.

I hope this helps you.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Jan, to complete on nice freeware there are these:

C-130 with droppable loads: Discord channel:https://discord.gg/pZDB8X6r Latest version:https://mega.nz/folder/zJIDACSD#oqif8uEN1N2MNwIJAJ2mPQ
    Fantastic community A-4C-E: https://heclak.github.io/community-a4e-c/
    Pretty descent A-29 Tucano: https://github.com/luizrenault/a-29b-community

I was also annoyed to have to set up controls for each plane but when you dig into the details the official modules have you understand that it is important.

With all these you have enough to keep your hands full for a while. For carrier ops the ultimates would be the F-18 and F-14 but I would suggest to wait for a sale to get them as ED often have them. Train in the T-45 first, as a real naval aviator would.

The F-18 is the more complete module but the F-14 is unique in "atmosphere" and character. The AI RIO and his chatter alone is a hoot!

Good to see you all here.

John, I took a shot at the T-45, installed it, launched and found it a little "sensitive" (unstable) around the carrier. For a "free" aircraft, however, it is pretty nice.

I have found the F/A-18 to be very stable around the carrier (as long as you are flying in the envelop) and easier to bring aboard than my (brief) experience with the T-45. If you are really looking for a carrier "qual" you might want to check out the F/A-18.

In addition to the "free" / community supported aircraft mentioned, the A-4 looks really good and it is on v2.0 (so it has been in development for awhile). This is also a carrier aircraft.

I'm going to install the A-4 tonight and conduct some carrier ops. I'll report back.

Other free aircraft I know of are the F-22, the C-130 (Super Hercules) mentioned above, Rafale, Lockheed U-2, EA-6B,....etc. (go to https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/69-mods-and-apps/ to see a bunch of "mods" including aircraft).
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Wow! Thanks for all the tips, guys, much appreciated !

First and foremost i need to get my T-45 show up in DCS. I think i followed a OvGME setup tut to the letter but still no T-45 in DCS. I just plopped the T-45 folder in the DCSWorld/Mods folder to see what happens. Upon loading DCS a message appeared saying that the T-45 was not a valid file and therefor denied. Ok, so that's clear.

I then installed OvGME as adviced by a DCS mod install advisory. Here's how it looks after setting up the config and placing the T-45 folder where it should be (according to the tut) :

Do you see anything wrong here ?

Must say i cannot find the VNAO_T45 anywhere in the DCSWorld folder. Should OvGME place it in the DCSWorld/Mods/aircraft folder along with the Spitfire, SU-25, SU-33, TF-51D ? It is not there....

Would love to hear what i'm doing wrong....

Thanks much !

Jan - I did my setup the way it is suggested at the A-4 Community webpage https://08jne01.github.io/community-a4e-c/ . They direct you to install file(s) to

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\Aircraft

I don't run Steam, so no comment re Steam, but this worked for me when I installed the T-45.

Last evening I did carrier approaches with the F/A-18, T-45 and A-4. The best experience (also most expensive) is the F/A-18. It has great HUD and HUD symbology (like the velocity vector) along with MFDs that are easily visible and can be configured to be of great help in the pattern (I use HSI and HUD on my MFDs). Its is solid in the pattern and on approach when properly configured. I believe auto flaps is one of the reasons for its solid feel.

The T-45 is difficult for a couple reasons. I find the HUD difficult to see, I am not able to get all information on the MFDs that I can get on the F/A-18 (primarily the TACAN indication for the carrier). These issues may be overcome with more use of the T-45, but my sim time is limited so that may not happen. The T-45 flaw that I can not figure out is that I landed it 2x in a manner where the hook should have captured a wire, it did not! There is a problem with the T-45 hook engaging a wire. For those of you that are going to use the T-45 you should investigate and sort out this problem before you get frustrated.

I did not spend too much time with the A-4. You do not have a HUD or velocity vector, so it is speed (indexer), line up, rate of decent, and FLOLS (or the DCS version of that). I was able to get the A-4 arrested on the second attempt. Once aboard you have to have differential braking because there is no Nose Wheel Steering, so I did not taxi around the carrier deck.

Last evening results: F/A-18 - 1 for 1; T-45 - 0 for 2; A-4 - 1 for 2.

Good luck all.

P.S. Forgot to say I use TrackIR which helps looking around.
    Last edited by rvn817j; January 21st, 2022 at 07:41.
    Jay

Cheers,
    Jan
    Welcome to DCS Javis! I have to say, you will love it. For carrier aviation, there's nothing that compares. Not even close. And if I may make a recommendation - F-14 Tomcat. It comes with both A/B models. And multiple A variants. And the U.S.S. Forrestal. Probably the best simulation I've ever flown. Down to the "walkman" tape player you can activate to listen to your favorite music on! Including the FFWD and RWD functions and sounds! A true 1980s simulation.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Good to see you all here.

John, I took a shot at the T-45, installed it, launched and found it a little "sensitive" (unstable) around the carrier. For a "free" aircraft, however, it is pretty nice.

I have found the F/A-18 to be very stable around the carrier (as long as you are flying in the envelop) and easier to bring aboard than my (brief) experience with the T-45. If you are really looking for a carrier "qual" you might want to check out the F/A-18...
    For me it is the opposite. The T-45 is stable and easy to get into the groove. I am having a time mastering the F-18C. Landing it correctly is hard for me. I have over 2800 RL hours in military aircraft (mostly B-52 and F-4). I can easily land the F-15 (Easy peezy), F-5 (a touch more difficult because of the wind loading, the F-16 (just watch your decent rate at touchdown) F-86 (Speed on final is life). But the damn F-18, it is impossible for me to stay on speed. Every time I turn final, she wants to stall, I increase thrust so when I roll out on short final, I am too fast. So, I chop the throttles point the nose at the touchdown zone, almost stall again to the point a quick 100% then cut, cut, cut saves the landing. Not by the book! LSO would fill up his book with comments.

Maybe I should just accept the fact that I am USAF. Give me two miles of concrete baby.
    Last edited by jmig; January 21st, 2022 at 11:48.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Cool

Jan - I did my setup the way it is suggested at the A-4 Community webpage https://08jne01.github.io/community-a4e-c/ . They direct you to install file(s) to

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\Aircraft

I don't run Steam, so no comment re Steam, but this worked for me when I installed the T-45.

Last evening I did carrier approaches with the F/A-18, T-45 and A-4. The best experience (also most expensive) is the F/A-18. It has great HUD and HUD symbology (like the velocity vector) along with MFDs that are easily visible and can be configured to be of great help in the pattern (I use HSI and HUD on my MFDs). Its is solid in the pattern and on approach when properly configured. I believe auto flaps is one of the reasons for its solid feel.

The T-45 is difficult for a couple reasons. I find the HUD difficult to see, I am not able to get all information on the MFDs that I can get on the F/A-18 (primarily the TACAN indication for the carrier). These issues may be overcome with more use of the T-45, but my sim time is limited so that may not happen. The T-45 flaw that I can not figure out is that I landed it 2x in a manner where the hook should have captured a wire, it did not! There is a problem with the T-45 hook engaging a wire. For those of you that are going to use the T-45 you should investigate and sort out this problem before you get frustrated.

I did not spend too much time with the A-4. You do not have a HUD or velocity vector, so it is speed (indexer), line up, rate of decent, and FLOLS (or the DCS version of that). I was able to get the A-4 arrested on the second attempt. Once aboard you have to have differential braking because there is no Nose Wheel Steering, so I did not taxi around the carrier deck.

Last evening results: F/A-18 - 1 for 1; T-45 - 0 for 2; A-4 - 1 for 2.

Good luck all.

P.S. Forgot to say I use TrackIR which helps looking around.
    Thanks very much, Jay, particularly how to install mods !

Took a little effort of course, i am a so called 'Flying Dutchman' so my Windows is in the dutch language so, to begin with, there's no such thing as a 'Users' folder at C:\. No problem because i have used that a lot (it's actually called 'Gebruikers' which means, yes, 'Users' ;-) But i didn't know that went on with 'Opgeslagen Spellen' as 'Saved Games'.. Took a while before the quarter dropped.. Also had create Mods\Aircraft myself but it turned out to work alright. Finally my T-45 turned up in DCS/ Quick Mission. Hurray!

The thing is though that steering the T-45 on the deck is quite problematic. Ended up between the fish most of the time. Also, at first the launcer recognised me but later on no more. (does it matter which of the T-45's in the menu listing i choose ?...) Atm it's just too difficult to line up on the cat because of the minimal nosewheel steering (there's no left/right brake available is there ?...)

Anyway, I spend a great time on the deck watching F-14 and F-18 launces and traps. Absolutely fantastic ! Already worth the price for the carrier package i'd say ! Wow!!

I found all the view keys to look around, also truly fantastic, but is it like we actually cannot 'move' around the deck ? You know, like we are walking ? Atleast i haven't been able to find keys or key combo's that let me move along the lateral or longitudinal axes. Actually i find this hard to believe, what with all the meticulous work that must have gone into creating this superb carrier model. Far above anything else i have ever seen in a sim !

Also, i figure selecting the T-45 day mission and then, at the Fly Menu selecting either the F-14 or F-18, is not the correct way to just enjoy the carrier ops on the deck. Both aircraft launch, do a circuit around the carrier and then trap and park. I can imagine we can also enjoy watching 'real' launch or trap operations where jets launch or trap one after the other ? Or is that too much to ask for ?

I'll give the T-45 another go but i do hope there might be left/right braking available. Is the minimal steering a known problem with the T-45 ? ( i can turn on a nickle with the P-51...)

Very exited i am on board the carrier now, i'm sure on of these days i'll get to launch as well one way or another.

Thanks a lot for your help, Jay, much appreciated !

Javis, there is a free camera option. Also you can unlock the camera by press LALT+F2. Then use the mouse to move the camera point around. numpad "*" & "/" moves the camera distance from the object, while RCNTL+"*" or "/" increases or decreases the FOV (zoom). You can even change the Aperture blur in DCS. The camera settings are truly mind boggling. The Carrier has some specific hot keys for points on the carrier deck, such as going to each CAT position or to the LSO station. I believe these are something like RCNTRL+F10 or F9. I don't recall exactly ATM.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Jan - For steering on the carrier deck you need to have Nose Wheel Steering (NWS). Assign the Nose Wheel Steering to a button on your joystick and when you push that button you can make sharp (sometimes very sharp) turns using rudder pedals for steering. If no rudder pedals maybe try assigning your rudder movement to arrow keys. Hope that helps.

P.S. John - I always prefer 2 miles of concrete. Back in the old days it meant shore duty, the "O" Club and a large, soft rack (double meaning intended).
    Jay

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much, Jay, particularly how to install mods ! ...... the minimal nosewheel steering (there's no left/right brake available is there ?...)

Anyway, I spend a great time on the deck watching F-14 and F-18 launces and traps. Absolutely fantastic ! Already worth the price for the carrier package i'd say ! Wow!!

I found all the view keys to look around, also truly fantastic, but is it like we actually cannot 'move' around the deck ? You know, like we are walking ? Atleast i haven't been able to find keys or key combo's that let me move along the lateral or longitudinal axes. Actually i find this hard to believe, what with all the meticulous work that must have gone into creating this superb carrier model. Far above anything else i have ever seen in a sim !

I'll give the T-45 another go but i do hope there might be left/right braking available. Is the minimal steering a known problem with the T-45 ? ( i can turn on a nickle with the P-51...)

Very exited i am on board the carrier now, i'm sure on of these days i'll get to launch as well one way or another.

Thanks a lot for your help, Jay, much appreciated !
    Did you turn on Nose Wheel Steering? (S key) If you have rudder pedals you have left and right wheel brakes under the axis commands.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

jmig, surprised to read about your Hornet issues based on your background. I flew the 18 alot waiting on the F-14 to release and most agree the Hornet flies as if on rails, as a FBW aircraft should. There are several IRL guys that made carrier tutorials for the Hornet and many, many gamers that have as well. I would use the Lex series (former USMC 18 guy) for some basics. Maintaining AoA is key and just leave it there, since I'm not getting IRL graded, I also "spot" the deck by placing the VVI/FPM where I need it.
    https://youtu.be/bLOZJ0tpzRs
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    jmig, surprised to read about your Hornet issues based on your background. I flew the 18 alot waiting on the F-14 to release and most agree the Hornet flies as if on rails, as a FBW aircraft should. There are several IRL guys that made carrier tutorials for the Hornet and many, many gamers that have as well. I would use the Lex series (former USMC 18 guy) for some basics. Maintaining AoA is key and just leave it there, since I'm not getting IRL graded, I also "spot" the deck by placing the VVI/FPM where I need it.
    https://youtu.be/bLOZJ0tpzRs
    I think there is something wrong with my Hornet setup or configuration. My problem is the VV is all over the place. Even Caging it seems off. It is hard to fly when the VV is in the top left them bounces to the bottom. I cannot keep the VV in the E bracket. So, I point the nose at the runway and use my F-4 experience to judge airspeed, descent, etc.

This afternoon I tried it again using a simple mission I made at Tonapaw. After two approaches and touch and goes, one straight in from 15 miles and the other a pull out of takeoff into the downwind. Both gave me the trouble mentioned above. I then went into the mission editor and change the aircraft to the T-45. No problems. VV and E bracket worked as expected, and I touched down on speed. Took off and changed aircraft to the F-16. This one worked too.

So, I am scratching my head as to what can be wrong.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

I find the Tomcat more responsive on throttle adjustments than the Hornet so I usually do better traps on the big cat.

John, have you tried ATC in the Hornet? It makes things easier as it automatically adjusts power to give you optimum AOA. You then just point the nose to keep the ball.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I find the Tomcat more responsive on throttle adjustments than the Hornet so I usually do better traps on the big cat.

John, have you tried ATC in the Hornet? It makes things easier as it automatically adjusts power to give you optimum AOA. You then just point the nose to keep the ball.

Yes, I have. It has made things worse.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

John - I attempted a search in the DCS Forums (using "velocity vector" as the search term). Many pages were returned by that search (and I only looked at the first 2) and nothing really jumped out at me (except the "uncage" step you've already taken). I've had some weird things happen to me with my computer over the years and many times it was equipment related (power supply not powerful enough or RAM chip issue or under-powered graphics). I'm not saying any of these things are your issue.

Everyone else (like Jan), DCS is having a SALE! Flaming Cliffs 3 is 50% off at about $25. Other items are 30% to 50% off. Now is the time to add.

P.S. John - Just found this in DCS forums..."thanks guys. I've identified the issue. Resting my hand on the joystick causes a very slight yaw. When using TM analyzer the yaw axis moves around on its own." Victory103 may be on to something.
    Last edited by rvn817j; January 22nd, 2022 at 09:47.
    Jay

That sounds like a binding or axis issue especially if ATC can't keep 8.1 degrees AOA. I generally start with Chuck's settings on my TM Warthog and adjust from there.

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guid...-a-18c-hornet/
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Bingo! Made it off the deck for the first time! Great fun!

Thanks mucho much for all the great tips, gentlemen ! Nosewheel steering and camera's A Okay ! Thanks again !

Camera options need a lot of practise but the nosewheel steering works wonderful now (after i noticed i need to *hold* the button down..;-) Dunno if it's the T-45 or my fault but i sorta got stuck a bit on the shuttle (launch bar down) only with full power would the launch bar go over the end of the shuttle. Is that normal ?...

Not tried a trap of course, want to learn a bit about the T-45 first. For that matter, is it possible to fly the Goshawk from a landbase ? I see it only turn up in Instant Action, not in any of the other Mission options.... Can i fly it off the deck and then head for land in the distance and find an airfield there, land and then save and load next time ?

If i buy one or more sceneries, will i be able to fly the T-45 around there ?....

And thanks for the Sale Tip, Jay ! Alas i can't make use of it cause i bought my DCS copy via Steam. There's no DCS Sale to see there (yet ?...). I'd love to buy the F-14 and F-18 of course, pretty mucho expensive indeed but the Sale at DCS site says 'not compatible with Steam version'.... Bummer..

Thanks very much again, guys, i feel a big step forward with my first launch off the carrier deck !

Oh, yeah, i haven't been able to find a way to play DCS in Windowed mode ?... Not possible ??....

Thanks!

Jan - I have to hold NWS button also when you want it engaged. Using rudder pedals get you some steering, but NWS allows you to steer nose wheel almost 90 degrees.

To move into launch shuttle, full power on T-45 is needed, so not unusual that you need it.

I don't know how much you paid on Steam for "DCS", but the whole DCS basic software package is FREE from DCS. You could start over with DCS standalone (that is NO Steam) for no charge (that would include the Caucasus map and the Mariannas map is free once DCS is installed). But do, at a minimum, add Flaming Cliffs 3 for $25 as it has more than $25 worth of aircraft. From the DCS Website -

"
    Key features of DCS World 2.7:

• The most realistic Free-to-Play digital battlefield ever.
    • One-of-a-kind, internally developed graphics engine that looks amazing from 0 to 80,000 feet.
    • Includes a beautiful, free, and highly detailed map of the Caucasus region that includes south western Russia and Georgia.
    • Includes 20 fully-equipped operational airbases, millions of buildings and trees, and thousands of kilometers of usable roads and railway.
    • Includes 156 free and fully operational weapons systems, 105 ground vehicles, 19 ships and 84 AI-controlled aircraft.
    • Fly the TF-51 Mustang and Su-25T attack jet for free!
    • Play all DCS World modules from one DCS World version.
    • State-of-the-art graphics with amazing lighting, shadows, and performance.
    • New breathtaking effects for explosions, clouds, fog, fire, and smoke.
    • Hundreds of land, air and seaborne AI vehicles. The world is your sandbox.
    • Create your own missions and campaigns for unlimited gameplay!
    • Mission generator included allowing rapid mission creation.
    • Enjoy multiplayer with friends, and even fly together in the same aircraft for multi-crew missions!
    • Purchase and fly the most iconic airplanes and helicopters from WWII up to the modern day.
    • Mouse interactive 6 degrees of freedom cockpits for most aircraft and the most accurate flight models, cockpit systems, sensors, targeting systems and sounds available.
    • Purchase and fly the most authentic simulations of the A-10C Warthog, UH-1H Huey, F-86F Sabre, Spitfire, and many others now.
    • Exciting new aircraft coming to DCS World like Mi-24P Hind, Mosquito and AH-64D Apache, and many more!
    • Purchase additional high-quality maps such as Normandy 1944, the Nevada Test and Training Range, Persian Gulf, The Channel and Syria.
    • Play hundreds of missions and campaigns with new campaigns continually created.
    • Both hardcore realistic and casual gameplay modes and options available.
    • Virtual reality support."

Go to https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/index.php and then go to "Downloads".
    Jay

Blog Entries
    Bingo! Made it off the deck for the first time! Great fun!

Thanks mucho much for all the great tips, gentlemen ! Nosewheel steering and camera's A Okay ! Thanks again !

Camera options need a lot of practise but the nosewheel steering works wonderful now (after i noticed i need to *hold* the button down..;-) Dunno if it's the T-45 or my fault but i sorta got stuck a bit on the shuttle (launch bar down) only with full power would the launch bar go over the end of the shuttle. Is that normal ?...

Not tried a trap of course, want to learn a bit about the T-45 first. For that matter, is it possible to fly the Goshawk from a landbase ? I see it only turn up in Instant Action, not in any of the other Mission options.... Can i fly it off the deck and then head for land in the distance and find an airfield there, land and then save and load next time ?

If i buy one or more sceneries, will i be able to fly the T-45 around there ?....

And thanks for the Sale Tip, Jay ! Alas i can't make use of it cause i bought my DCS copy via Steam. There's no DCS Sale to see there (yet ?...). I'd love to buy the F-14 and F-18 of course, pretty mucho expensive indeed but the Sale at DCS site says 'not compatible with Steam version'.... Bummer..

Thanks very much again, guys, i feel a big step forward with my first launch off the carrier deck !

Oh, yeah, i haven't been able to find a way to play DCS in Windowed mode ?... Not possible ??....

Thanks!
    Jan, There are a couple of T-45 missions out there. One has you taking off from and flying to a couple different airbases. You can create your own with the mission creator. It is not that hard to get the basics down. I don't think any of the other Maps have T-45 missions. Remember it is not a DCS supported aircraft.

I don't use and don't recommend the Steam version. I use the Reverb G2 VR headset. Steam VR will automatically load and then load DCS when the goggles are active. If I want to see the screen without using VR, I unplug the power on the VR goggles before starting DCS. I find it easier to set controllers and test stuff on the flat screen. later, I will fly it in VR.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Members who have read this thread: 1