Piper L-4 Grasshopper
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piper L-4 Grasshopper

Piper L-4 Grasshopper

Thanks to Blood Hawk, I think we may have something that works ...

BH23 Piper L4 Grasshopper by UncleTgt

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Piper L4 Grasshopper for CFS 2

This aircraft is a conversion of the Microsoft Piper J3 Cub for FS2004.

Blood Hawk 23 did the conversion, giving me a model to work on, an aircraft cfg, air file & dp base. I tweaked the dp to reflect the a/c use as an unarmed spotter/liaison plane, & added one of keltis exhaust effects.

I did the repaint - it's meant to represent one of the aircraft that flew off the flightdeck of USS Ranger during Operation Torch in November 1942.

Apart from the elevators, the control surface animations didn't make the conversion - BH managed at least to fix them in place so they don't look out of position.

The textures are mirrored, & there is considerable distortion at the wing tips - it will need a remapping of textures to do any later war repaints I'm afraid.

To install, simply extract to a temporary folder & copy over into the correct CFS 2 folders.

Thanks to:

MS for the original model, & Blood Hawk for doing the heavy lifting on the conversion.

UncleTgt,

MAY 2013

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit BH23 Piper L4 Grasshopper UT.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Reply...

UncleTgt and Blood_hawk23,

Awesome work using the resources available to make this, it looks great! :salute:
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Blog Entries

Mine works....

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Piper L4 Grasshopper for CFS 2

This aircraft is a conversion of the Microsoft Piper J3 Cub for FS2004.

Blood Hawk 23 did the conversion, giving me a model to work on, an aircraft cfg, air file & dp base. I tweaked the dp to reflect the a/c use as an unarmed spotter/liaison plane, & added one of keltis exhaust effects.

I did the repaint - it's meant to represent one of the aircraft that flew off the flightdeck of USS Ranger during Operation Torch in November 1942.

Apart from the elevators, the control surface animations didn't make the conversion - BH managed at least to fix them in place so they don't look out of position.

The textures are mirrored, & there is considerable distortion at the wing tips - it will need a remapping of textures to do any later war repaints I'm afraid.

To install, simply extract to a temporary folder & copy over into the correct CFS 2 folders.

Thanks to:

MS for the original model, & Blood Hawk for doing the heavy lifting on the conversion.

UncleTgt,

MAY 2013

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit BH23 Piper L4 Grasshopper UT.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
    I tried it in FS9 and the control surfaces work fine... I guess they don't on CFS2...
    Excellent... now how did you manage to put the pilot in the back passenger seat?????? lol
    Is there a fix to put him in the pilot's seat?
    Pity it is not demirrored... I am going to demirror it following the B24Guy procedure...
    Please let me know how to transplant the pilot to the front seat though...

I did a strait up conversion. if anyone wants to work on it further, please by all means do so. When i tried to demirror the textures the model wouldn't load. so I didn't do it.

It need work. but its a starting point.

The hardest part was the CFG and .air file work. There wasn't much out there that would work in CFS2. i found an FS2000 piper that i was going to use as a template but i didn't like it so i scraped it. what you see here is a completely new one using FS2002's FSeditor, ACM and Airwrench.

the DP is new as well. i did use the L5's as a guide. thats why it came with a gun. I think the L5's is a modified Zero's DP anyways.

As far as the pilot goes, I have no idea how he go there. I think this MDL should go to Allen for some rework.

It does have breaking parts. Trust me i crashed about 50 times while testing the CFG and .air files.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    I did a strait up conversion. if anyone wants to work on it further, please by all means do so. When i tried to demirror the textures the model wouldn't load. so I didn't do it.

It need work. but its a starting point.

The hardest part was the CFG and .air file work. There wasn't much out there that would work in CFS2. i found an FS2000 piper that i was going to use as a template but i didn't like it so i scraped it. what you see here is a completely new one using FS2002's FSeditor, ACM and Airwrench.

the DP is new as well. i did use the L5's as a guide. thats why it came with a gun. I think the L5's is a modified Zero's DP anyways.

As far as the pilot goes, I have no idea how he go there. I think this MDL should go to Allen for some rework.

It does have breaking parts. Trust me i crashed about 50 times while testing the CFG and .air files.
    It would have been nice if I had know about this before I stared "Project Slurpee" The project is just like a Slurpee, a good idea tell the Brain Freeze hits. :isadizzy:
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    It would have been nice if I had know about this before I stared "Project Slurpee" The project is just like a Slurpee, a good idea tell the Brain Freeze hits. :isadizzy:
    OMG that is too funny man... I have to remember that one.

no worries. Its not going anywhere.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Blog Entries

Working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    OMG that is too funny man... I have to remember that one.

no worries. Its not going anywhere.
    Working on de-mirroring an enhancing textures....
    Got it to show a little better the fabric covering and ribs effect (still need to work on its relative saturation and transparency)
    I think the serial number display is right on... (working now on sorting the de-mirroring)
    and still have to see about introducing transparencies and bracing for the enlarged sides and back window that distinguish the Grasshopper from a regular Cub..
    as well as getting that darn pilot in the front seat!!!

Very nice work Gaucho
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog22 View Post
    Very nice work Gaucho
    I agree. that looks Great.

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Working on de-mirroring an enhancing textures....
    Got it to show a little better the fabric covering and ribs effect (still need to work on its relative saturation and transparency)
    I think the serial number display is right on... (working now on sorting the de-mirroring)
    and still have to see about introducing transparencies and bracing for the enlarged sides and back window that distinguish the Grasshopper from a regular Cub..
    as well as getting that darn pilot in the front seat!!!

Guys, the pilot is in the right location already. The Piper Cubs and the L4 derivatives are flown from the rear seat when the pilot is flying solo because of the plane's center of gravity. If the pilot is carrying a passenger, he can fly from the front seat as the weight of the passenger would balance the center of gravity. I have a number of PIC hours in the J-3 Cub so I know first hand.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Pilot Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    I have a number of PIC hours in the J-3 Cub so I know first hand.
    PIC Abreviation for Pilot In Command. Applies to a Pilot who is in Command of an aircraft (i.e. Captain of Airliner). PIC would not apply if a flyer is recieving instruction or flight review from a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI).

Just thought I'd be a dictionary for a bit.

Regards, O

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure that Capt. Kurt's use of the acronym was most likely offered tongue-in-cheek ...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Guys, the pilot is in the right location already. The Piper Cubs and the L4 derivatives are flown from the rear seat when the pilot is flying solo because of the plane's center of gravity. If the pilot is carrying a passenger, he can fly from the front seat as the weight of the passenger would balance the center of gravity. I have a number of PIC hours in the J-3 Cub so I know first hand.
    Which is why I prefer flying PA 18s

Charter Member 2016
    Hey, uh, when you get it all figgured out, dya think you could, uh, release an FS9 version, too?

No, I'm quite serious. I happen to like the FS9 default model - If I could see some other varients (like the L4) based on that model in FS9, it'd be wonderful.
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

After many many years it is time for a proper L-4 Grasshopper model. De-mirror. The lousy texture mapping is gone from the fuselage and wings Thanks to some Blender magic. Engine is still using stock UV mapping so that could be a problem. Rear greenhouse glass added.

Still much work to do but a good start on things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blender Hopper.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	85783
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blender Hopper A.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	85784

Woo Hoo

I would love to see a demirrored Ford Trimotor too ... just sayin'

Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Woo Hoo

I would love to see a demirrored Ford Trimotor too ... just sayin'
    The best I could come up with is a demirrored Fokker XII.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fokker XII.jpg  

Got the model in game with VC, main LOD and LOD 75. Than got side tracked...

Attachment 85817 Attachment 85816

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Got the model in game with VC, main LOD and LOD 75. Than got side tracked...

Attachment 85817 Attachment 85816
    Allen, no harm in getting distracted by making a "floater" version as well. Looks like it's going together well

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    The best I could come up with is a demirrored Fokker XII.
    Hiya Kev,

Actually there is a demirrored 5-AT made by Pierino Primavesi for FS2002. Unfortunately it has horrible looking CFS1 style prop disks.

I may have to just make a silver pre-war Guinea Airways trimotor from Pepe's Chinese Trimotor.

Would've been nice to make the camo RAAF ambulance conversion they tried using at Myola.

Library Staff
    Hi Allen & John,

Allen, good work with both versions of the Grasshopper.

John, I thought you must be intending to do a RAAF Trimotor. Is the stock FS2004 model too difficult to repaint?

All the best for the New Year!

Kevin

Vary early WIP preview for download. Many things not done or half finished but usable to kick the tires in Free Flight or take to the paint shop.

Attachment 85831

Many thanks Allen, will try it soon.

Members who have read this thread: 2