KPLN Pellston Regional Airport Michigan - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KPLN Pellston Regional Airport Michigan

Members +
    I'll give it a try... With pleasure.

I do not have any folder in C:\ProgramData called 12bpilot, so I'm not sure where to put the KPLN SODE stuff.
    Otherwise, all looking great, day & night, summer & winter.

I copied the KPLN folder to my Addon Scenery folder & activated it that way. I just prefer to install scenery like that.

Well done.. now to work out where the SODE stuff goes..
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

I been busy

Spent the last few hours successfully. I didn't just want to spend my day off from homeschool on the couch without a book to read so I dug into the FS9 bgl's from Matthias and my dae's from my custom buildings and stuff and got the FSX Pellston completed. Here it is for any FSX guys to test out please and like above, PM me please with anything that needs fixing or adding if you think it's missing. I have also included the SODE file of the windsocks. There are five of them starting with the one in the red and white segmented circle.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kygub...plete.zip/file

AND in the words of Maxwell Smart of Get Smart for those of you as old as me LOL, "Would you believe.....FSX and Dell played nice together today."

You Need The SODE Program

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    I'll give it a try... With pleasure.

I do not have any folder in C:\ProgramData called 12bpilot, so I'm not sure where to put the KPLN SODE stuff.
    Otherwise, all looking great, day & night, summer & winter.

I copied the KPLN folder to my Addon Scenery folder & activated it that way. I just prefer to install scenery like that.

Well done.. now to work out where the SODE stuff goes..
    Here is a link to the free program SODE you need to install and then you will have 12bpilot in program data.

https://sode.12bpilot.ch/?page_id=9

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Here is a link to the free program SODE you need to install and then you will have 12bpilot in program data.

Thanks, I'll try it a bit later.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

KPLN In FSX

Here are two screenshots I took in FSX(A) on Windows 10 of KPLN on the ground:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/1ZOvVm5.jpg[/img

Here are two screenshots I took in FSX(A) on Windows 10 of KPLN on the ground:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/1ZOvVm5.jpg[/img

Are you going to boost this over to P3D 4/5 area? It's nice to see this sock with pole in FSX.

BTW, did you look at and try (substitute) the SODE files I sent you?

I see there is a V1.8 now. I don't know if I should upgrade or not. It looks like it was for P3D V6 users although V5 is mentioned in that upgrade.
    I have a few addon sceneries that have installed their SODE files and managed to create another SODE folder.

Got It Working

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I see there is a V1.8 now. I don't know if I should upgrade or not. It looks like it was for P3D V6 users although V5 is mentioned in that upgrade.
    I have a few addon sceneries that have installed their SODE files and managed to create another SODE folder.
    Since you have it all working the way it is, in the words of my wise uncle: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think my Dad said the same thing.

Since you have it all working the way it is, in the words of my wise uncle: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Members +
    So, I followed the above & installed SODE v1.8.. Everything looks OK, but no windsocks.
    Great scenery.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Make Sure

So, I followed the above & installed SODE v1.8.. Everything looks OK, but no windsocks.
    Great scenery.
    Following the instructions I wrote in the SODE Readme, be sure that you have the sim object in the sim object folder and the xml in the xml folder. That is the only reason I can think of that you do not have them. It is very sensitive to this. I have created enough SODE objects after I was taught how to be aware of this and sometimes I still make a mistake.

Night textures

I am in the process of creating the night textures for all the buildings for both the FSX and P3D versions of the airport now that it seems the daytime versions are all ok. Stay tuned for updates here and over at P3D Forum.

This Mornings Work

Well back on the jobsite at KPLN, I tackled the LM textures for the terminal. After a prayer for divine inspiration because the textures are on a two composite sheets, I started first just by a hue and saturation layer adjustment in Photoshop which was ok but lights up everything which it isn't in real life. After selections with the polygonal lasso tool and cut and paste into png new layers, I suceeded with what I think is pretty close to what it looks like and will put this in the update folder. My goal has been one building a day in the past after homeschool which is back in session after the holidays, this is building number 1. I am going to have t5o open up ADE again though I can see and light up that parking lot with a lot of lights for night time.

This Hasn't Died

I have been working on the Pellston Lodge across from the airport. It is quite complex but the main lodge was completed tonight. Tomorrow I will finish it up with the annex and then will post screenshots of it here and also over at Prepar3D forum. Here is a screenshot I took in Sketchup to send to the copyright holder of this unique Adorondak chair that is out in front of the Beaches Up North Bar And Grill. I got a telephone call followed up by an email giving me permission to use their chair design and share it. I thought it was so cool I just had to do it. I wondered if they took it in for winter or left it out all year but I saw a video posted of the bar by a snow mobiler and it's out in front covered in snow. Here is what it looks like:

Prepar3D is Done

I have completed KPLN for P3D and the link is over in the other forum. Now I have to convert the last two buildings I created into FSX from the Collada files and add them in ADEx so that I can give you all the FSX version complete. Next week sometime as soon as I get the time to finish them. I hope that you all will enjoy it finally 2 years later than when it started. Interestingly, in talking with Matthias he is going to make a new version for MSFS where he has migrated to peaking his interest in it again with our posts. Have a good rest of the weekend, ya'all.

Members +
    Hi, possible to get a link to the updated file?
    I'm a bit confused as where to find it.

Many thanks.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Above Post

Hi, possible to get a link to the updated file?
    I'm a bit confused as where to find it.

Many thanks.
    Above on January 9th i posted a mediafire link to the most current (beta) version for FSX. Over in the Prepar3D Forum is the finished version for Prepar3D Versions 4 and 5. I still have to convert the files to FSX bgl's for the Beaches Up North Bar And Grill and the totally custom Pellston Lodge both of which are across from the airport on the highway. P3D bgls do not work in FSX though FSX bgls of scenery sometimes work in P3D, hit and miss results for them. None of the FS9 work in P3D V4 or 5. Did you ever get your SODE downloaded so you can see the windsocks and also for the US Flag at Pellston Lodge. I also have to add the flags at the entrance to the airport I saw which also will be SODE. In order for the flags and windsocks to be sensitive to the wind direction and speed SODE files are required. Thank you for your interest.

Members +
    Thanks so much.
    Nope, I somehow did not get SODE working. Everything is where they should be.

I'll keep on trying a bit later. It's 19:53 here in Cape Town, & I've got some binge watching of Monarch: Legacy of Monsters to do..
    Above on January 9th i posted a mediafire link to the most current (beta) version for FSX. Over in the Prepar3D Forum is the finished version for Prepar3D Versions 4 and 5. I still have to convert the files to FSX bgl's for the Beaches Up North Bar And Grill and the totally custom Pellston Lodge both of which are across from the airport on the highway. P3D bgls do not work in FSX though FSX bgls of scenery sometimes work in P3D, hit and miss results for them. None of the FS9 work in P3D V4 or 5. Did you ever get your SODE downloaded so you can see the windsocks and also for the US Flag at Pellston Lodge. I also have to add the flags at the entrance to the airport I saw which also will be SODE. In order for the flags and windsocks to be sensitive to the wind direction and speed SODE files are required. Thank you for your interest.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Fiinal Version For FSX

I spent all day today tweaking this into I hope a finished product. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did creating it. Here is a link in mediafire to download it. Please follow the SODE instructions carefully to get all the windsocks and flags. If you have any problems, please send me a PM specifically stating what is happening and a screenshot if you are able. Otherwise, have fun flying. BTW the airport was shut down for two days because of freezing rain that the deicing equipment had trouble handling (news story real airport).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o2tia...plete.zip/file

Fix The Hold Shorts

I got a PM this morning about the Hold Short marks being backwards and just spent an hour and a half correcting them. You can't tell what direction they are pointing when you use an enhanced Ground Poly for them so I had to have both the sim and ADEx open. It was pointed out to me in P3D but I know they are wrong until I send you a fix for FSX too. Also going to correct the Windsock sim object in the SODE since I just found a photo of the real one closeup yesterday from someone who ate at Hoppe's Landing Restaurant and took a pic out the window. Thank you to the anonymous patron.

Fiinal Fixes

The new windsocks are in place in SODE which only the simobject needs to be replaced. Xml is not changed. This and the FSX airport are in the final FSX version V3 of KPLN Pellston from the Mediafire download link below. I hope you enjoy flying in and out of Pellston as much as I have had creating it and as always learned just a bit more about scenery, SODE and flight simulation.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2l3to...3+FSX.zip/file

Here is the new segmented circle

After finding a photo of the real windsock in the segmented circle behind the terminal at KPLN, I had to redo it so that it is correct. In the past my wind circles have been concrete blocks as previously at other airports real world but I guess they must be too hard to maintain or replace being arc shaped formed concrete. My information though actual was old I guess four or five years ago. Anyway...I was able on Google to locate a manufacturer of these "tents" to create segmented circles and they had a download pdf of the actual engineering drawing with dimensions and material list. So I set out to create the "real thing" and after a few hours on Sketchup utilizing the Engineering Toolbox for the structural shapes of the framework here is the result. Below it is the mediafire link to the updated airport bgl's and the segmented circle bgl's. Please follow the README carefully after you unzip it so there are no errors.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hfykv...+2024.zip/file

Members who have read this thread: 58