Replacement joystick - 2 strikes. Joystick recommendations?

Thread: Replacement joystick - 2 strikes. Joystick recommendations?

Replacement joystick - 2 strikes. Joystick recommendations?

I've been trying to replace my old Saitek X52 Pro that has a couple of dead switches and some wonky stick movement after many years of use. I tried the Thrustmaster TCA Airbus stick/throttle combo and the Logitech X56 HOTAS. The TCA Airbus combo worked fine - for the default Airbus - after spending considerable time calibrating it. However, it only works fine for the Airbus. For other aircraft it's really not optimal. As such, I returned it to Microcenter. Well, I got an X56 HOTAS from Amazon this morning and have determined that the joystick rudder twist is dead. I've done calibration resets, updated drivers, etc... There is simply no input response from twisting the stick for rudder control. I'll mess with it some more the rest of today and tomorrow, but if I can't figure it out I'm returning it to Amazon.
    So I was wondering what joysticks others are using here. I don't want a yoke set-up as it won't work for my desk configuration, and I generally have preferred joystick/throttle combos for Flightsim.
    I'm actually thinking about just ordering another X52 Pro to replace my current model.
    Cheers,
    Dave

That is unfortunate about the twist on your X56. Give it a good workout to see if you like it otherwise, and consider returning it for a working one. I have had an X56 for about 6 months now, nothing has broken on it and I love the unit.

August

It's expensive, and it requires a separate set of rudder pedals, but my recommendation would be the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. I've had one since 2015 and it hasn't missed a beat.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    It's expensive, and it requires a separate set of rudder pedals, but my recommendation would be the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. I've had one since 2015 and it hasn't missed a beat.
    I completely agree. That would be my recommendation too. And, if you can afford it, getb the TCR Rudder Pedals while you're at it. Then you are completely equipped control-wise.

I hate to also recommend something so expensive, but the Warthog stick is a real class act. Mine is very old at this point but still flies like it's brand new. It's a wonderful piece of hardware.

I've had a Warthog and it is indeed great.

But you can get the same functionality and (in my experience) even better reliability from the Thrustmaster T.16000s setup. I have the combo with the rudder pedals, throttle, and stick, and it's awesome.

The whole setup, with rudder pedals, is more than $200 cheaper than the HOTAS Warthog combo pack with no pedals.

https://amzn.to/3qyv7qt

If you want dual throttles, the new Airbus kit from Thrustmaster, with the add-on that adds flaps/spoilers, is also really nice. I have that on my second rig. Stick is just a recolored version of the T.16000s stick for the most part.

https://amzn.to/3HhWFq5

But you'll want to get the pedals and the Add-On to go with these, for the best setup.

Both of these use the same Hall-effect sensors as the Warthog, but have plastic parts instead of the heavier, more solid, and more fighter-jet accurate design of the Warthog.

I bought a Warthog throttle and stick, didn't like the stick, bought the VKB Gladiator instead, and it's a much better stick than the Warthog for flying imo. I found the Warthog stick too stiff for precise flying like formation flying or air to air refueling. I am very happy with my VKB Gladiator + VKB T Rudder pedals + Warthog throttle combo.

I have a Thrustmaster Warthog as well but if you get on, get the Green Spring for it (made by Sahaj) which he ships those from his home in Poland. It lowers the tension on the Warthog stick making it much smoother and less prone to the so called "Sticktion" issue. The other options are more expensive such as the Virpil Controls and Wingwing products but personally, my next move (when/if ever my Warthog eventually fades and fails) will likely be Virpil HOTAS and Pedals. If you get any of these, you will need a set of rudder pedals if you don't have them already (I may have overlooked that in the post). Right now, I am using a set of used (cost me $55 US) Thrustmaster TFRP pedals which many say don't hold up well but mine have so far. The only thing I hate about them is I have to do a minor recalibration on them each time I use them which I accomplish by simply turning off the USB port they are plugged into (which resets the calibration to being even throw on both sides of the axis).

Hope you get back in business soon. The higher end HOTAS may be expensive but are well worth it in the long run.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess I'm the only holdout here. I'm still using my original Saitek X52. The only thing I've done to it was to remove the throttle detent.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

When my Saitek X52 joystick stopped working correctly several years ago, I bought a CH Products Fighterstick, after it was so highly recommended by ex-warbird pilot Dudley Henriques on the A2A forums - I can't recommend it enough! The movement is both light and very precise, and it is a very sturdy unit. I still use the X52 throttle unit in conjunction with the CH Fighterstick. You will need rudder pedals, however.

BTW, after having used the same set of CH Products Pro Pedals for more than 15 years, one of the toe brakes quit working a couple months back, so I went shopping for a new set of rudder pedals. After seeing that the Saitek/Logitech pedals happened to be rated higher than the CH pedals, I decided on a whim to buy them, but I couldn't have been more disappointed! No wonder so many flight simmers still have trouble controlling these FS aircraft when they're using such stiff and unrealistic rudder pedals (I can't believe how highly rated they are!) - I guess if you're only flying tubeliners, it's no big deal. Anyway, I ended up getting myself the slightly cheaper and better CH Pro Pedals again - a far better and more realistic experience flying warbirds and vintage types. I ended up modifying the Saitek/Logitech pedals for helicopter flying now, by taking out the detent and replacing the spring with a couple elastic bands with very little tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I guess I'm the only holdout here. I'm still using my original Saitek X52. The only thing I've done to it was to remove the throttle detent.
    Tom, I loved my X45 and X52's. When the latter crapped out, I went with a X55 which I liked a lot but it crapped out just a hair outside the warranty but Mad Catz replaced it free of charge anyway with a brand new X56. I still have that HOTAS as a backup, still fully functional but worn-in.

Bomber_12th, yes, CH Products is a great alternative to the higher priced units. I know guys that still have their sticks, throttles, and rudder pedals after 15 plus years of use, not a single failure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Edit - nevermind, found a tutorial.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post

Bomber_12th, yes, CH Products is a great alternative to the higher priced units. I know guys that still have their sticks, throttles, and rudder pedals after 15 plus years of use, not a single failure.
    +1

I bought my CHP Fighterstick in 2005. It's still working like a dream. I wonder if any producer make as sustainable sticks anymore?

Thanks for that tip on pedals, John, I was thinking of new ones for Xmas and looking at the Logitech. I now use old CH non-pro ones (just one axis so only rudder, no brakes) with the old serial game port, but they work great despite their age, and now I'll know to just update my CH.
    August

First off - thanks to Tom Clayton! Without his posting, I wouldn't have thought you could remove the detent in the X52 Pro. What a difference in the way the throttle responds.
    If you have an X52, here's the link to the fix:
    https://www.rogerdodger.net/hacks-an...-throttle-fix/

I returned the X56 HOTAS today - Amazon and Kohl's sure make it easy. Anyway, I'm going to have to reassess what my needs vs. wants are, as the X56 had everything I wanted at a price point I could live with. The Thrustmaster Warthog combo with rudder pedals would easily be my first choice across the board, but it's extremely hard for me to justify the price. As such, I'll have to live with my X52 for awhile longer. After doing the throttle fix trick on my current model, I'm leaning towards just getting a new X52 Pro, but the yet to be released Honeycomb Aeronautical stick/throttle combo looks promising. I could go to a more affordable option, but I've really liked the overall build quality of the X52, and I think it would be hard to leave that behind.
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    Cheers,
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0