Native S2F3AT (S2T) Tracker Work in Progress - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Native S2F3AT (S2T) Tracker Work in Progress

Very cool that you would include that livery. From what I can tell you got it spot on.

Craig was at my base KGOO for two or three seasons before he went to Hollister. He earned the nickname "The Professor" at our base due to his off season work at UC Santa Cruise teaching chemistry. He rented out a room at a house right on our runway for the fire season so after a long day it would be a cigar and a fine whiskey by the fire pit after walking a quarter mile home from work. I happened to be watching auto mated flight fallowing when he went down and moments later intercom on base said all S-2s grounded. What a shame to lose such a great pilot and man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-79_-3.jpg   T-79_.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Made my day also! haha

Project is kind of at a stand still. Making changes with the flight model and it took a nose dive off the deep end. Working through the issues now.

Ever since I started this project there was one special livery that I wanted to create, but I knew itd be a bit of a tough one. Finally sat down the last couple days and really focused on it and id say the results were worth the headache.

This is the first Grumman S2F3AT built at Cal Fire's AMU headquarters at McClellan Airpark in Sacramento, Ca. It was built to replace Tanker 81 that crashed in Yosemite, Ca in 2014 and bring the fleet back up to 23 airtankers again. This is what N450DF looked like when it was completed and prior to becoming Tanker 79 which is based at Hollister, CA.

Hey Tankerguy, If you ever get to the Monterrey area Our HQ and Dispatch center at KMRY had the Vertical Tail fin to that aircraft in the bone yard. I remember it was one of Hollister's Tankers that had crashed. It was before the 2014 incident though since the tail fin was back there in the 1990's. I don't remember the ID number but is was the original Green /orange Paint scheme. I want to say it was 77 or 79. it was the last few years before the color change on the aircraft. The last few years of Paul Vasteillca's ATGS reign
    any undate when we'll get this beauty??

Quote Originally Posted by KGOO View Post
    Very cool that you would include that livery. From what I can tell you got it spot on.

Craig was at my base KGOO for two or three seasons before he went to Hollister. He earned the nickname "The Professor" at our base due to his off season work at UC Santa Cruise teaching chemistry. He rented out a room at a house right on our runway for the fire season so after a long day it would be a cigar and a fine whiskey by the fire pit after walking a quarter mile home from work. I happened to be watching auto mated flight fallowing when he went down and moments later intercom on base said all S-2s grounded. What a shame to lose such a great pilot and man.
    It was a shame. A good man lost way too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by firerx View Post
    Hey Tankerguy, If you ever get to the Monterrey area Our HQ and Dispatch center at KMRY had the Vertical Tail fin to that aircraft in the bone yard. I remember it was one of Hollister's Tankers that had crashed. It was before the 2014 incident though since the tail fin was back there in the 1990's. I don't remember the ID number but is was the original Green /orange Paint scheme. I want to say it was 77 or 79. it was the last few years before the color change on the aircraft. The last few years of Paul Vasteillca's ATGS reign
    any undate when we'll get this beauty??
    I would definitely love to go check that out. Wonder if its still there.

One another note as previously mentioned McCall scenery is amazing. Its loaded with contract tankers/helicopters and a FS Twotter along with beautifully detailed hangars and ramps. The S2 seems out of place there, but hey its a sim and I can do whatever I want haha.

Any updates on progress

Hello, hope your doing well. I was just curious how progress is coming? Thanks and have a good one!
    - Joe

Video of a short test flight awhile back. Much has changed since on the interior, but I thought you guys might enjoy.

https://youtu.be/FVo9nb68TXw

Video of a short test flight awhile back. Much has changed since on the interior, but I thought you guys might enjoy.

https://youtu.be/FVo9nb68TXw

Will we have it before this fire season, Tankerguy?

Exclamation Top secret

Will we have it before this fire season, Tankerguy?

You do not have the clearance for this highly sensitive information. Only a few even know of its existence. I have it on good info that Tankerguy flies out of burbank on a "janet jet" to work on this project and is under constant threat of annihilation if he discloses any more info on this project. The Gov will release it the public when they are ready. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by KGOO View Post
    You do not have the clearance for this highly sensitive information. Only a few even know of its existence. I have it on good info that Tankerguy flies out of burbank on a "janet jet" to work on this project and is under constant threat of annihilation if he discloses any more info on this project. The Gov will release it the public when they are ready. That is all.
    Haha! Thats exactly it! Im hoping to have it out before fire season. My time available has been extremely limited recently. Two toddlers will do that to you haha.

Skunk Werx

Dear Mr. Tankerman, This is the ghost of Kelly Johnson. The team here need an update on the progress on the availability of the aircraft for this years fire season. We have been told that fire season has been delayed until July due to heavy amounts of precipitation this winter on the west coast, however the Fires will still come. We here at Skunk works have been developing a secret sauce for the tanker of which you are providing. The new color of retardant will be purple. Any update will be kindly appreciated.

Haha yeah someone around here started the rain dance and never quit. Keeping the S2 nice and dry in the hangar. With all this rain the vegetation is growing thick. Once everything starts drying out around here this fire season may be a rager and im sure the S2s will be plenty busy come summer!

Work has been slow going with the kids and hunny do's. Hoping to dive into this soon and wrap it up. Fire season is a nice goal. I want to make sure its done right I wish I could be in it full time.

Haha yeah someone around here started the rain dance and never quit. Keeping the S2 nice and dry in the hangar. With all this rain the vegetation is growing thick. Once everything starts drying out around here this fire season may be a rager and im sure the S2s will be plenty busy come summer!

Work has been slow going with the kids and hunny do's. Hoping to dive into this soon and wrap it up. Fire season is a nice goal. I want to make sure its done right I wish I could be in it full time.

Being a resident of California I know you mean.
    It seams either we have a below average rain year, and everything is very dry and the fire danger will be unusually high, or we get more rain than normal and there is more fuel out there and the fire danger is unusually high. Looking forward to the S2 when fire season arrives, and it always arrives too soon.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Being a resident of California I know you mean.
    It seams either we have a below average rain year, and everything is very dry and the fire danger will be unusually high, or we get more rain than normal and there is more fuel out there and the fire danger is unusually high. Looking forward to the S2 when fire season arrives, and it always arrives too soon.

Any updates Tankerguy? Fire season is here.

Any updates Tankerguy? Fire season is here.
    Still plugging away. Progress has been slow as of late with RL stuff that always seems to come up.

On the plus side this past weekend I spent out in Arizona watching an S2 come back from the boneyard and fly again. I even was able to sit in on a couple high speed taxi runs down the runway. I have to admit I prefer the Wright 1820s to the Garretts haha

When a downloadable file ?
    Always doubting is close to the truth...

Still plugging away. Progress has been slow as of late with RL stuff that always seems to come up.

On the plus side this past weekend I spent out in Arizona watching an S2 come back from the boneyard and fly again. I even was able to sit in on a couple high speed taxi runs down the runway. I have to admit I prefer the Wright 1820s to the Garretts haha

That's fantastic tankerguy72!!!

Hemet base

Hello, this is unrelated but might interest you. I just found out the hemet base gives tours. All you need to do is walk up and ask for one. They do it all day except lunch time. Thought you might find it interesting!
    have a good one
    Joe

I would love to see a USN S2 Tracker version done too! NC

Quote Originally Posted by joetrill View Post
    Hello, this is unrelated but might interest you. I just found out the hemet base gives tours. All you need to do is walk up and ask for one. They do it all day except lunch time. Thought you might find it interesting!
    have a good one
    Joe
    Definitely related. I got my first tour there in the mid 90s. Toured the S2As and DC-4s. I've been out there hundreds of times since, volunteered there for a bit and now have friends that fly the Trackers and the Firehawk out of there. I'm building the Hemet base on the side. Pics are spread out previously in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I would love to see a USN S2 Tracker version done too! NC
    I have about 60% of the exterior model designed up for an S2F-1 Navy model. Might turn into something in the future

I have about 60% of the exterior model designed up for an S2F-1 Navy model. Might turn into something in the future
    That would be great if you do! Thank you for that information 🙏 😊 NC

Our "COD" has been slowly undergoing the process to get her airborne. She was donated several years ago on the agreement that she would be kept airworthy. So little by little she getting closer to putting air under her wings again.

-witt

Champaign Lady Volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittpilot View Post
    Our "COD" has been slowly undergoing the process to get her airborne. She was donated several years ago on the agreement that she would be kept airworthy. So little by little she getting closer to putting air under her wings again.

-witt

Beautiful little Trader!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Definitely related. I got my first tour there in the mid 90s. Toured the S2As and DC-4s. I've been out there hundreds of times since, volunteered there for a bit and now have friends that fly the Trackers and the Firehawk out of there. I'm building the Hemet base on the side. Pics are spread out previously in this thread.
    Oh thats cool! Im trying to get out there sometime soon and go down and visit.

Canadian Warplane Heritage Tracker is coming along nicely as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    Canadian Warplane Heritage Tracker is coming along nicely as well!

Lokks really great!!!

Members who have read this thread: 133