So, now that we have a native Connie... - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: So, now that we have a native Connie...

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks, ftl818 for your response.

We concor that the NAV frequency displays are ACTIVE despite they are marked STANDBY.

I think I'm using the flight director knob correctly. You can see my steps in message #71 of this thread.

Our MANUAL page numbers appear different. My page 72 displays section 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. The UK version shows extra A/P info on page 39. Perhaps yours is a different country version.

I'm using v1.5 of the Redwing sim. Interesting is that there are two manuals in the download, one labeled v1.5 and the second labeled v1.68 (Dec 2021). Probably a Redwing oversight.

I tried looking into DISCORD messages and saw that there was success with the localizer but that there were still problems with the glide slope.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ftl818 View Post
    For me it works, my problem is to find working VORs in MSFS.
    There are quite a few. The only ones I've found that don't work are the military TACAN-only transmitters. The one next to 8R/26L at PHNL works perfectly, so you can enjoy the island scenery while getting in some practice.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    Thanks, ftl818 for your response.

We concor that the NAV frequency displays are ACTIVE despite they are marked STANDBY.

I think I'm using the flight director knob correctly. You can see my steps in message #71 of this thread.

Our MANUAL page numbers appear different. My page 72 displays section 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. The UK version shows extra A/P info on page 39. Perhaps yours is a different country version.

I'm using v1.5 of the Redwing sim. Interesting is that there are two manuals in the download, one labeled v1.5 and the second labeled v1.68 (Dec 2021). Probably a Redwing oversight.

I tried looking into DISCORD messages and saw that there was success with the localizer but that there were still problems with the glide slope.
    Jim
    I'm referring to the 1.68 version of the pdf. Page 72 explains the zero reader_ils. I did an approach as described there and the autopilot did lock to glide and heading. A possibilty could be the sequence of things. I flew to the VOR on the airfield manually with nav2, nav1 tuned to the ILS. I set the zero reader to approach (altitude on, green light) and only when the indicators showed signals from the ILS I switched the flight director knob. The aircraft reacted to centre both needles.

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks again, ftl818, for your response and information.

I located and reviewed the zero reader information in the v1.68 manual. The zero reader selection knob is not given a number in the center panel diplay, section 4.1.3. That ommision is interesting since several other controls on the zero reader are numbered and explained.

I've successfully locked onto the localizer/glideslop using the flight selector knob alone by creating a flight inline with Ithe ILS beam.

The Connie reacted too slowly to the beam to give control close to the runway. The plane weaved across the ILS , broadly, displaying insufficient control for a low visibility landing.

The pilot in the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u69Ne1k1kbs, at 36:37 is shown capturing the ILS manually. At around 36:57 he starts the A/P Localizer/Glideslope. At 38:17 he notices the plane shifting away from the ILS. At 40:14 he disconnects the A/P Localizer/Glideslope, and decides to land manually since the plane was still hunting the beam. This gives credence that the current v1.5 Connie poorly controls to the Localizer. True to the real Connie or just the sim?

Jim

Here is the most amazing film showing the Super Connie in flight and navigation technique. This film is a must for any lover of the Super and you will learn some interesting operations on ground and in the air. I never knew about the landing gear pins and they must be removed before flight and, in fact, are part of the check list when you ask ground crew to show three pins. This and much more detail, really an amazing vintage film.

Ps: The Connie used in the film in my favorite livery

Eastern Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation Promo Film - 1953 - YouTube

Thanks again, ftl818, for your response and information.

I located and reviewed the zero reader information in the v1.68 manual. The zero reader selection knob is not given a number in the center panel diplay, section 4.1.3. That ommision is interesting since several other controls on the zero reader are numbered and explained.

I've successfully locked onto the localizer/glideslop using the flight selector knob alone by creating a flight inline with Ithe ILS beam.

The Connie reacted too slowly to the beam to give control close to the runway. The plane weaved across the ILS , broadly, displaying insufficient control for a low visibility landing.

The pilot in the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u69Ne1k1kbs, at 36:37 is shown capturing the ILS manually. At around 36:57 he starts the A/P Localizer/Glideslope. At 38:17 he notices the plane shifting away from the ILS. At 40:14 he disconnects the A/P Localizer/Glideslope, and decides to land manually since the plane was still hunting the beam. This gives credence that the current v1.5 Connie poorly controls to the Localizer. True to the real Connie or just the sim?

Jim
    Hi Jim,

Although the ILS system locks I also find it unreliable. You need to set up the Connie in landing configuration well before the decent in order to keep everything in check. The Glidescope works for me but many times the aircraft is deviating away to the right of the runway. I did the same approach with the classic C172 and then the approach is perfect. So the ILS system needs more work.

Version 1.6 is out!

Paul

New update and new textures. The new metal bump mapping look is way overdone - can someone please fix this ?

Is it worth the asking price yet?
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    Is it worth the asking price yet?
    T43
    I think so, but they really need to fix their textures.

Quote Originally Posted by TiAr View Post
    Lufthansa Freighter D-ALUB 1964 WIP.

D-ALUB by TiAr, auf Flickr

Thomas
    Nice, looking forward to this one. By the way because of the sim update or the Connie update the user made paints are not working anymore. Any ideas ?

SOH-CM-2023
    I suspect all of Thomas's Connie repaints don't work. Two that I have do not work. Once selected from the liveries they show up in the sim as one of the liveries supplied by Redwing. The solution falls back on Thomas unfortunately.
    Jim

I suspect all of Thomas's Connie repaints don't work. Two that I have do not work. Once selected from the liveries they show up in the sim as one of the liveries supplied by Redwing. The solution falls back on Thomas unfortunately.
    Jim
    Yes, that is exactly what is happening with mine as well. I tried changing the texture.config but only made it worse.

Desktop background (click on pic for larger image)

Blog Entries
    That's a very good picture, I like that thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    That's a very good picture, I like that thanks.
    Thanks, just noticed if you click on pic for larger image it ask you to buy the photo - not sure why they do that but this photo is, of course, free to use.

It just comes up with No Products Available For This Picture. SmugMug lets you monetize your content to sell prints and downloads.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Yes, it is great, that Red Wing changed UV-mapping on 1.6. Repaints will be much better to do with new paintkit now availible. I have to change my repaints, but this is only a time factor. Will work on it on weekend, when I am back at home.

Thomas

Not bad at all!

I'm a little late to the Connie party finally having a system capable of running MSFS. Having about 1800hrs in the A2A Connie during testing and regular flying, I was really interested in this new one from Red Wing. After getting used to the controls, I've been doing long hauls exclusively in the L-1049 for the past few days. The current flight I'm on is a MTOW long haul. I really can't find anything I don't like about her at all. I find the cowl flaps and oil cooler flaps a little neurotic to work with, but that just may be that I haven't found the right control mapping yet.

I'm finding she's no more difficult to fly on full non-AI help in the cockpit than either the A2A B377 & L-049 or the PMDG DC-6. A lot of fun and pretty interesting actually.

With the PMDG DC-6, this new L-1049 already here and that new B-247 looking really good, I'd say I'm a pretty happy camper with MSFS for now. Although a nice DC-2, 3, or 4 would be cool too.

Forest

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks, Thomas, for the quick repaint upgrades and links.
    Jim

Thomas, just a thanks for the repaints! Between these and the patches to add an AI flight engineer, I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy the Connie.

Would love to see Blue Angels and MATS repaints for it down the road!

Couldn't stand it any longer so I got my brushes out again and here is a tease of my first Connie paint (hopefully there will be a ton more, much like my A2A Connie paints).

Guess the livery ?

This looks great, Paul.

I did one very "personal" 1.6, shows HB-RSC after the resurrection...

l-1049g-star-of-switzerland1 by TiAr, auf Flickr

l-1049g-star-of-switzerland by TiAr, auf Flickr

L-1049G Star of Switzerland HB-RSC » Microsoft Flight Simulator

I am currently working on Lufthansa, HARS and Qantas 1.6 Update and a new C-121J Ice Pirates/Puckered Penguins VXE-6 Phoenix or Pegasus.

Thomas

Icon25

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Couldn't stand it any longer so I got my brushes out again and here is a tease of my first Connie paint (hopefully there will be a ton more, much like my A2A Connie paints).

Guess the livery ?

Lockheed L-1049G Super Constellation Northwest Airlines "N5175V"

Hi Thomas,
    Like them all,
    and hope for the update LH Paint

Thank´s

Members who have read this thread: 156