Operation Dragoon (USS Tulagi CV-72) Campaign by Shadow Wolf

Thread: Operation Dragoon (USS Tulagi CV-72) Campaign by Shadow Wolf

Hybrid View

Operation Dragoon

Hi all:

Back at the end of last month, I started work on a new campaign - the invasion of southern France, Aug 15th 1944. It is moving along nicely. I have 18 missions so far almost completed and I anticipate about 10 more. The campaign is built on a Rhumbaflappy MTO install.

The historical record, or what I could find, gives little account of the air action. :banghead: Because of that, none of them are historical but match up well with the daily ground combat record. My missions comprise: Close Air Support (CAS) Cap and search and destroy. The Campaign is strictly from the Allied side and the player will be flying either an F6F-5, F6f-5N or a TBF off the USS Tulagi CVE. I am trying to put the last few missions together together to cover Aug 19 thru 22, when the Tulagi's Task Group was withdrawn in favor of land base air forces.

I need to go back and do an invasion support mission for the landings (a major pain in my 6 with all the landing craft), and a later railroad attack mission and 1 or 2 more Search and Destroy missions. There are very few intercept and just 3 CAP missions. German air assets at this time and location were sparse, but I managed to put a few 109s and 190s in the air for you hard cor fighter pilots. :applause: Rami told me he always wanted to match up Hellcats with FW-190s. Wish granted! :wavey:

I will be posting updates and screenshots here regularly. But first let me ask: Do any of you have any info on the air war over this front? I could surely use it. If things and life go as they have, I should publish the campaign some time in October.

Note:
    taking off from a CVE with a full weapons load, at the CVE max speed of 16 knots, even with a 10-12 knot headwind is a challenge. You can see how low my Avenger went in the attached screenshot. :wiggle:

Cheers:

Shadow Wolf 07
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs2 2021-09-11 17-44-48-33.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Shadow Wolf,

Talon did missions for Operation Dragoon for CFS3 ETO many years ago,all based on historical fact.Here's the intel of 6 of the missions he did.You may have to change some of the times to fit CFS2 though.

You fly an F6F-5 in all.

8/15/1944
    06:00

We will be attacking Toulon and the Harbor shipping.There is an armor column in the area,this is your primary target.After it is destroyed you are to go after any shipping in the Harbor.

There is no air opposition in the area.We are trying to stop any re-enforcements getting to the invasion beaches.

8/17/1944

09:00

Some enemy transports are trying to make their escape from Toulon. You are to attack and stop them.You will be flying a Hellcat but will be joined by Avengers.

The German forces are retreating on all fronts and some of their shipping has taken flight.It is our job to stop anymore ships from escaping.

8/18/1944

07:00

Today you are to attack any enemy trains in the Marseille area and than attack the Marseille railyard.Your first target is a train headed for Marseille,be careful it's an ammo train.

Over 150 enemy locomotives were attacked and either destroyed or damaged by the carrier planes.

8/19/1944

15:01

Today is one of the last day USS Tulagi is stationed off Southern France.Lt.Commander John H.Sandor leads a 4 plane flight of Hellcats on an armed recon by Lyon.Acompanying him are Lt.Rene E.Poucel,Ens.David E. Robinson and Ens. Archie R. Wood.During this flight they encounter enemy planes for the first time and attack JU-88's on an enemy airfield.

3 He-111s were shot down and 2 JU-88s destroyed on the ground.USS Tulagi airmen shot down a total of 6 enemy aircraft during Operation Dragoon.

8/21/1944

04:45

The German's are in retreat as The Invasion has gone well.The roads in Southern France are jammed with German troop convoys and troops.Today you are to attack an enemy troop convoy as it retreats.Three JU-52's enter the area while you are attacking the enemy troops.

Not only was the convoy destroyed but the 3 Ju-52's were shot down.In all the Tulagi air group shot down 6 enemy planes while covering the Invasion

TheBookie

Thank you, TheBookie! I'll try to work them in
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Nice project! It will be a good addition to the MTO.

Back in the days, I flew a CFS1 campaign depicting 'Operation Dragoon', in which you were flying a Hellcat. Good memories.

http://www.myzone59.com/combat-fligh...r/missions.htm

Observation-fighter squadron VOF-1 was the first USN air unit to be specially trained for spotting naval gunfire and for close support of ground forces. Its major contribution to Dragoon, though, was armed recon. Loaded with bombs and rockets, the Hellcats penetrated deep into the Rhone valley, laying waste to the retreating German columns.

As for the A2A action, Wood and Olzewski each got two kills flying #8 depicted in the screens below.

The first skin is by shieldsy 2001. The second is by Morton 2008.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Thanks bearcat241:

I will keep them in mind when I do my next Search and Destroy mission. Good info. I'm currently testing the missions I've built and finishing up a rebuild of a Close Air Support mission. When I test fly it later, i will try to get some screenshots. I will try to incorporate Talon's missions described above by TheBookie.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Cody Coyote or Anyone

Hi:

I am building several missions both with moving road convoys and trains. I set both up as "convoys." My question is, whether that is good enough to have them follow along the road or track? Or must I plot each vehicle's or rail car's waypoints to keep them in column?

Hmmm...
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I think for the truck convoy you would need to plot the course to follow the road.for the railroad plot the course for the loco and then put the cars behind the loco and set it up like you would a task group of ships to follow the loco as the lead ship.You could probably do the same with the trucks.

Either way you need to plot a course to follow.

Not sure it will work,but it might so worth a try.

TheBookie

Ooops!

I should have checked before posting, but I found the answer in CC's Mission Builder Handbook at the very end of the chapter on Convoys and Formations. One of the frustrations of too many years, I guess. Anyway, if you want them to follow a winding course, like a road, in column then the road convoy must have each vehicle's waypoints laid out separately along that course. I would assume the same applies for train cars as well.

Cody also notes that like ships in this sim, if two or more vehicles occupy the same space, they will pass through each other harmlessly. I still have much to learn from the Handbook.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I took a guess,lol.

I only deal with ship and planes.Ships I use the copy so all ships have their own way points.

TheBookie

Obviously I came late to the party. Glad you found the answer in the Handbook. And yes, it is a frustrating situation.

Icon22 Operation Dragoon (USS Tulagi CV-72) Campaign by Shadow Wolf

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Campaigns Add-Ons

Description: It is D-Day, 15 August 1944, a few minutes before dawn. USS Tulagi CVE-72 is turning into the wind, about to launch her first strikes in support of "Operation Dragoon", the Allied invasion of southern France. For the next 7 days you, one of her best pilots will fly, sometimes several sorties a day. your missions will vary from strikes on airfields, rail yards and even shipping to Close Air Support of ground forces, Search and Destroy and Combat Air Patrol. You may find yourself in an F6F-5 Hellcat, a TBF Avenger or an F6F-5N Hellcat night fighter. You will see what they AND you can do against the intense German FLAK and Luftwaffe aircraft.

The missions for this campaign, with a few exceptions are fictional but highly represent the sort of missions actually carried out by the Allies here in this theatre. The concept for some of them was based in info, gleaned from missions done by Talon (RIP).

Cheers:

Shadow Wolf 07

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Operation Dragoon (USS Tulagi CV-72) Campaign.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22 Reply...

Shadow Wolf 07,

Congratulations on this release! I know you worked hard on this, and thank you for representing an under-appreciated element of the European War!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    an under-appreciated element of the European War!
    Well... ETO or MTO?

Thank you all and I hope you enjoy. I hurried to publish it by last night, to put this in your Trick or Treat bags for Halloween. My next project? Kursk, from the Soviet side.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    Thank you!!!

Well... ETO or MTO?
    You are welcome! I built this on Rami's MTO basic setup with JHS south France and Italy. I guess it would work on an ETO back scenery, as long as you added JHS_Italy by Achim.
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; November 1st, 2021 at 10:20.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Well done Greg - thanks very much! I've been looking forward to these missions.

Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 0