Scorch00 Airtanker Conversion Projects - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scorch00 Airtanker Conversion Projects

Livery and tank work continue on and for the CH-47s. I've started on the Army National Guard liveries. I've decided to cap the repaints at 8. 2x Billing Flying Service, 2x California Army National Guard, Columbia Helicopters, Coulson-Unical, Helimax, and Helifor will be represented. Columbia, Helimax, Coulson, and Billings will also have their respective tank/snorkel setups included for the tanked CH-47s in service. Seen below are some high res shots of the Billings liveries and the tank/snorkel.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

I've done a 2,000 gallon bucket that will also join the asset package for the repaints now. I've started putting together a reference document for the tanks to be used in Lorby's FireFighterX as well. The tanks range from 2,500-3,000 US Gallons. Pretty impressive for a helicopter. But I'm expecting the repaints and assets to go out some time this week. The bucket provided in FFX is alright, I just wanted one that looked a bit more realistic. I may do other versions of buckets down the road, but just added this one for now to get this out faster. Assets will be for P3Dv4+, liveries will be for FSX up through all versions of P3D. The Nemeth/MilViz CH-47 proved a great platform for this project. I'm very happy with how it's progressed.

CH-47 LIveries & Firefighting Assets Pack Released

For those that haven't seen the CH-47 Pack is available now here on SOH.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...8&linkid=29209

Aeroplane Heaven B-17 Airtanker Package Project:

The project was started upon around the same time I had permission granted by AH to modify their C-119, the B-17 was the 2nd aircraft they allowed me to modify. I'm not sure exactly how many versions of the firefighting versions I will do, as there were a number of them. Right now I'm focused on the Aero Union variant and will move onto the others once this one is done and all the body changes that need to be done to "civilianize" the B-17s. Removal of guns, turrets, etc. This version seen below in Aero Union and Evergreen liveries. Had all those removed, as well as the nose glass and had a more aerodynamic nose cone substituted for the glass. Not sure as to why this was done, but in aerial firefighting, it was largely done for a reason to either shed weight or increase performance in some way. Repaints below are still very early WIP of both the model and the liveries.

SOH-CM-2020
    The B-17 looks great.

Just curious, I'm not really into armed warbirds, but a 'civilian' B-17 would be a 'must have'. So could this be FSX compatible?

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    The B-17 looks great.

Just curious, I'm not really into armed warbirds, but a 'civilian' B-17 would be a 'must have'. So could this be FSX compatible?

Pete.
    It's a possibility it may, I don't think it's as complex, as say their C-119 is. But no guarantees of yet. Their C-119 I did, would not recompile with the FSX SDK and MCX, so I had to abandon an FSX version of it. But I'll definitely see if it's possible.

EDIT: I actually just tried to do a recompile in an FSX .mdl and it worked. Showed up in P3Dv4.5 in the FSX.mdl file. so at least currently, it seems that it could be cross platform compatible in both FSX and P3D.

SOH-CM-2020
    That sounds promising.

Hope that it does work out.

Thanks

Pete.

The B-17 project is progressing, albeit slow given personal time to work on the project. I have finished the first variant. I will be moving onto another version here fairly soon I hope. Evergreen T-22, Aero Union T-17, and TBM Inc. T-65 round out this version's liveries. I have a few other projects looming in the background I'm looking into at the moment as well. So it's also helped slow progress down slightly. But I'll be throwing those back on the backburner while I wait for prototypes to work out. The project at this point does look to remain FSX and P3D compatible. So I'm pretty comfortable saying that when release happens it will be for both platforms.

Work has progressed, albeit slowly. Given IRL responsibilities and such, work has just been slower than I'd prefer it. But progress regardless. I've just finished a few more configurations of the B-17 Fire Fortresses. So far as seen below I have 5 versions available. I'm looking to see if the configuration I just finished for Globe Air was used by other operators. But if not, the pack will likely stay this size and I'll move onto cleaning up the pack and getting it ready to beta test in FSX to double check everything works as it should. The aircraft has remained in FSX.mdl this whole time luckily, so it should work in both sims. But will know that for sure once I give it to beta testers. It works flawless in P3Dv4.5. Different versions of the B-17s carried differing amounts of retardant, so tracking down that information and placing them with the correct configuration will also present a bit of a challenge. But it's minor I feel. Configuration file was, I have not touched the dynamics at all. The only thing I've changed are the main landing gear contact points. Which were sunken into most if not all runways. Everything else has been model or texture related changes. I am currently looking at another rotary wing project currently. That being the Sikorsky S-61N. Which at this point, looks to be a P3DV4+ project. More info on that as I get closer to finishing the B-17s as there is prototype work going on for it and different tank designs on it.

SOH-CM-2020
    They are looking good

Pete.

FSX/P3D Coulson Fireliner T-139 Repaint Uploaded to SOH

I have recreated Coulson's newest 737-300 Fireliner. Recently painted in the last week to be T-139, their 3rd converted 737. The repaint is for the Vista Liners converted package. T-139 is the first of the Fireliners to wear Coulson's unique fleet livery.

Link will be located here once it is fully active here on SOH
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...5&linkid=29257

B-17 project has advanced slowly, but it is now close to FSX beta testing. Overall it is nearly ready to be released. The beta test variant is essentially not very different than what the release will be, assuming there are no issues to go through. The S-61 project is also advancing, but will take much longer as it is not just the addition of the tanks, but an overall P3D conversion as well.

So in the meantime of these projects. I've revived plans to expand my S-64 Skycrane package. I had originally planned on just releasing an expansion of repaints. But after looking it over as well as some recent points made to me by community members. I was going to have to update some of the models anyway, so I decided to revisit some of the tank models too. The Aero Union RADS II tank equipped on HTS 95HT, will get a remodel seen below as a WIP. As well as an additional tank model for Heavy Lift Helicopters. The liveries that will be included will be for Helicopter Transport Services Simplex Demonstrator Livery, 2 for Evergreen, Canadian Air-Crane, and lastly Heavy Lift (seen here with the tank I designed). Like my original helitanker expansion pack for the MilViz/Nemeth S-64s. This will again require P3D users to have the base Crane, as well as my original expansion package. This project, along with the first expansion could not have been possible without the gracious agreement from MilViz to allow me to modify their Skycrane. With this expansion pack, it will likely cover most of the configurations of the S-64/CH-54s used in aerial firefighting from about 2003 to modern day.

B-17 Fire Fortress released!

The B-17s have finally been released. There are some minor bugs for FSX users, but none of which affect it's use. They were minor annoyances. The biggest one is for FSX users having to adjust the contact points for their B-17s. P3D, those issues are not present. 4 models, but 6 aircraft in total in the package. Aero Union, Black Hills, Globe Air, and TBM Inc. are the operators represented in the pack. The civilianized B-17s have a variety of different features removed and added. All guns, turrets, and some versions have external retardant tanks, and aerodynamic nose cone replacements for the nose glass.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=29328

More updates will follow soon on the coming S-64/CH-54 expansion package. In terms of it at this moment. There are a few model additions/updates, as well as overhauls on all the previous models released in the original expansion package. The updated models now have remodeled snorkels to match the original snorkels and overall are higher quality. I have also included more liveries. 3 livery variations for Evergreen, 2 for Canadian Air-Crane, Helicopter Transport Services/Simplex, and Heavy Lift Helicopters. Community members have also done a number of additional livery updates to represent more up to date fleet numberings. So it's a pretty comprehensive overhaul and addition to the original package. But, it has gone well and I am very pleased with the additions and updates I've made thus far.

Significant updates and progress has been made on the S-64/CH-54 package. I am currently working on more model updates to the S-64 and CH-54. The model updates will now include new rotor animations to replicate rotor flex on all expansion models. I have also rough modeled a placeable fuel tender to be used with FFX or if people wish to import it for use as static scenery that will also be possible since it's not extremely complex in it's build. There are tank model updates that will replace the versions in the original expansion pack as well as remodeled functioning pond snorkels on ALL the expansion models. I've also included three new model variations total. Two for Helicopter Transport Services and one for Heavy Lift Helicopters. New liveries for early Helicopter Transport Services/Simplex Demonstrator colors, Evergreen International, Heavy Lift Helicopters, and Canadian Air-Crane. There are also updated textures for SDG&E, Siller Bros, and an entire fleet of Helicopter Transport Services with the new numbering system and other additions (thanks to a SATO Community member "RedJeeper" for doing those texture additions for this package). The updated tanks are on on the Simplex equipped models and the RADS II Aero Union tank models. The rest are simply equipment updates, such as new main gear assemblies. This package including the original expansion package now cover the majority of the Cranes in Firefighting Service. The expansion package takes the stock S-64E from MilViz and adds the S-64E, S-64E+, S-64E (Upgraded), S-64F, S-64F (Radar Nose), CH-54A, CH-54A (Upgraded) and CH-54B (Upgraded). All in all the original MilViz/Nemeth S-64 will be required along with the original expansion package and then this one. Which the users will need to drop in to the expansion models and override. The new models will just be dropped in like the expansion package versions were with the associated interior models needing to be copied to them. These updates should kick the Skycranes up several notches. For those that do not know, the original firefighting S-64 in the Milviz/Nemeth package did not have a functioning pond snorkel and only had the least seen variant with the water cannon installed on the nose. My purpose was to create the most popular versions seen in aerial firefighting and equip them with functioning pond snorkels, which are used as the primary source of filling tanks on the Skycrane/Tarhe platform. The Ram snorkel is not used with great frequency, at least in North American operations.

SOH-CM-2020
    The B-17 is amazing

Works well in FSX:SE.

Many thanks for your hard work.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    The B-17 is amazing

Works well in FSX:SE.

Many thanks for your hard work.

Pete.
    Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it! Thank you for the support!

S-64/CH-54 pack update. Since I've been messing with the rotors on the Cranes, I decided to do something about the mirrored rotor disc textures. So I've separated the rotor disc textures from the top and bottom so they both have their own textures now. As they should be. The stock one was mirrored of the top, on the bottom, which isn't accurate. Topside is usually high vis paint while the bottom is usually black. So they now are this way along with the rotor flex with increasing the collective, like the real Cranes. I feel this combination makes the rotors look considerably better than stock.

I'm starting to assemble and write up things for the Skycrane package. Which will take some time. But largely the pack is complete in terms of models and texturing. Of course I will do some investigating to double check the accuracy and if I missed anything with them before release happens, but I'm pretty happy with how that update has gone. In the meantime I started on converting a new project. As one can see with the photo below. It's of the workhorse of the USFS and other agencies. The Beechcraft C90/E90. This is the full working prototype so far. I have converted a number of things from the FS9/FSX version to work in hopefully both P3D and FSX. This was originally an AI model, but I have taken it and taken the painted on windows and added functional ones in, as well as added a VC, and interior model. It's all very basic, but it is at least functional. The C90s remain one of the aircraft I haven't really touched because of sourcing one. This one I did find and was originally modeled as an AI and then modified to be flyable. Original packaged version by Henry Tomkiewicz, D.E. Waldron, and Michael Verlin. And now me. The aircraft is listed as a V3 of it. And now I will call this V4. My plan is to add the C90s with the 3-prop and 4-prop variations. Obviously for aerial firefighting lead and air attack roles. Seen here in one of two liveries thus far. This is on the 3-prop version, but this and the other livery existed on the 4-prop and will be moved over upon it's completion. It should also work fine for civilian use as well for those that want to use it in that way.

Work on the Skycranes has slowed considerably as the tedious part of the project is currently underway. Just as a bit of an update, the modeling is complete on them. Unless something comes up that needs to be addressed in P3D testing here soon. But as with expansion pack 1 that was released nearly a year ago now, this pack will build upon and improve that original release package. Some textures again will be updated and/or replaced, along with all the models from the original and some additional variations will be added. So it will be a considerable update I feel overall to the stock Milviz product. The updated rotor flex and new rotor textures have all been applied to all the expansion models now as well as the updated functioning pond/hover snorkels. Seen here are two versions of the S-64F, one flown here in the US and the other flown in Italy, with the radar fairing added on the nose. As some may not have realized the original Milviz product only included the S-64E in the package with a water cannon installed on the nose (the least seen variant), and only the Ram snorkel was functioning. Now the expansion packages I've done now add nearly all the firefighting variants seen across the world. The expansions include the CH-54A, CH-54B, S-64E, and S-64F and their associated equipment variations per platform/airframes making for 10 additional variations/models over the stock firefighting version. Plus additional textures and fleet liveries. As stated, it is a considerable overhaul, but it is I feel a needed one for both the product and my original expansion package. I hope to have them released by the end of the month, but given IRL responsibilities, this still remains up in the air.

S-64 Update:
    I have made some more changes to the pack, albeit minor. But additions nonetheless. I have added 2 additional liveries and an additional model variation to represent a configuration flown by Vigili del Fuoco of Italy. In addition a 2nd new livery for ship I-CFAG flown by them, as I found out earlier this year it's green livery is now red to match that of ship I-CFAJ. So I've made that adjustment. As well as added a Korea Forest Service livery. Seen below are the two additions along with one of the other Evergreen liveries included in the pack. The pack at this moment is also in active beta testing, so I'm hoping with only a few minor bumps so far I can get these out in the first week of October. A bit longer than I had hoped, but I'm still very happy with it and the feedback thus far.

Beechcraft C90 Lead / Air Attack / Birddog Update:
    Work on the C90 conversion has also restarted. The conversion is around 80% complete at the current time. I will still need to see if I can make the model compatible in both FSX and P3D, but we'll see once I get back to that more. Some animations still need to be fine tuned after conversion of the two new models (3-prop and 4-prop variants). I will also need to finish a few more liveries for it as well. Which is looking to be 4 or 5 at the moment, with the possibility of more. So far I have several for the USFS, one for Buffalo Airways, and I may do a few others yet, but haven't decided.

Grumman TBM Avenger Update:
    This will be the next conversion I work on. I already have the prototype in P3D, but it's still very very early on in it's conversion development and update process. This will be the firebombing variant only. Liveries for it will represent a fair number of operators that used the Avengers. Can't really say much else about it just yet. Same goes for platforms. Not sure if it will be dual FSX/P3D or just P3D.

Vigili del Fuoco S-64F:

Korea Forest Service S-64E:

Evergreen International S-64E:

S-64/CH-54 Skycrane Update:
    The S-64/CH-54s are through beta testing and I am finishing up work on them currently and should be released by this coming weekend

Beechcraft C90 Lead Plane / Air Attack / Birddog Update:
    Project is largely holding until the S-64s go out. But the only things that remain to be done on it are some animation tweaks, finishing up some liveries, and then a beta test in FSX as it will be for FSX and all versions of P3D. It will have USFS and Canadian operator liveries.

OV-10 Bronco Project:
    New project has taken off in terms of popularity and is a combination of projects and things from multiple people in the community. Tim "Piglet" Conrad's OV-10A Bronco serves as the base for this pack. The aircraft base was converted with PBR and P3D nativity by George Arana (eurostar350), 5-blade propeller by Jeremy Ulloa (tankerguy72) and the rest will be completed by myself to create all versions of the Bronco flown by CDF and now Cal Fire. This will include the classic 3-blade propeller version largely seen across the simulators and IRL for years. But the fleet now is different with Cal Fire. In the last few years their fleet was updated to the 5-blade propellers and a single OV-10D now flies with them, which flew with a 4-blade propeller for a few seasons before also being upgraded to the 5-blade propellers. So the pack will consist of all 3 versions of them. As well as that, I am creating a custom sound pack for all 3 different propped versions as they all sound different from one another (video also below of the 5-blade version currently). Images and video are all a WIP and doesn't represent the final version(s).

TBM Avenger Update:

Project put on hold for now in larger community interest in OV-10 Broncos.

3-Prop OV-10A

5-Prop OV-10A

5-blade OV-10 Sound Preview:

The Beechcraft King Air C90s are about to go into beta testing in FSX, should that come out alright they'll be released in the FSX/P3D (all versions) format. In addition to that a lot of work has been done on the OV-10s. All 4 model variations are nearly done as are the textures for them. I've also civilianized the interior slightly with the removal of the gunsight and some texture changes. Sounds are still a large WIP. As are some other minor modeling tweaks. Seen here are the OV-10A with the earlier CDF livery, newly added BLM OV-10 with the external tank, and the 4-blade OV-10D.

C90 Buffalo Airways Birddog

OV-10 Variants

OV-10A CDF (Ramona AAB)

OV-10D CAL FIRE (McClellan AAB)

OV-10 revised civilian cockpit

Lots of updates!

OV-10 Air Attack versions are still under development but moving forward. The large model adjustments have been made to them. Now it's just fine tuning the textures and the sounds. Since all 3 different model variations of the 4 models in the pack all sound different due to the different engines and propellers. The Pack will not come with a large number of repaints as a lot of my previous packs did, a more substantial repaint pack may be done at a later time however. The pack will have liveries for BLM (Bureau of Land Management), CDF (California Department of Forestry), and CAL FIRE (formerly CDF). The CDF/CAL FIRE liveries will represent OV-10A AA330 (CDF 3-blade) Ramona AAB, OV-10A AA310 (CAL FIRE 5-blade) Hemet-Ryan AAB, and OV-10D AA505 (CAL FIRE 4-blade) McClellan AAB. And lastly the OV-10A with external tank flown by BLM as N97LM. Interior changes have the civilianized interior with the gunsight removed for better forward visibility. Also, some of the dorsal 60s-era antenna were removed and replaced with modern antenna packages ventral and dorsal on all the aircraft for their time periods of use. And of course the main PBR conversion done by George Arana (Eurostar350), 5-blade propeller by Jeremy Ulloa (tankerguy72). The rest was done by myself. The original paint kit will work for this as I've made it so the maps are not any different with these versions as they would be with Tim Conrad's base texture maps. So any repaints can easily be applied to these via his paintkit for the OV-10.

d by Simulated Air Tanker Ops, on Flickr

OV-10A 5-blade Sounds:

Work is also progressing on producing the Beechcraft 100 series of the King Air. The little seen 100 series took the C90 series and took sections of the B99 series and combined them into a single aircraft. With lengthened fuselage, heavy duty main gear, and more powerful engines in some versions, the B100s were the predecessor to the B200 and 300 series that most know as the iconic King Air. Largely my creation of these has been for Buffalo Airways Virtual, but will be publicly released for FSX (hopefully) and P3D. There will be versions of the 3 and 4 blade propeller like the C90 package was, as well as with and without the baggage pod equipped. They will come with the Buffalo liveries, but will also include a few GA operated liveries on them. These are still an early WIP.

As a bit of a side bar, I don't always just do aerial firefighting conversions. George Arana (Eurostar350) started out converting the OV-10As from Tim Conrad. He graciously allowed me to do base the Air Attack OV-10s I'm doing on his base work on that package. As well as the OV-10s for aerial firefighting. I was also working on a military configuration OV-10D in the background, but with his updates, it made a huge jump in what I was able to do with the OV-10s. So after his main release I will also be uploading the Air Attack Broncos, as well as the special versions associated with the OV-10D/G platform. The 4-blade propeller seen on the air attack Broncos was originally designed for this project.

Very cool and one of my favs even in P3Dv5, Piglet got these right from the start and a fun aerobatic turboprop. Blue Air Training is flying these for the JTAC contract.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Very cool and one of my favs even in P3Dv5, Piglet got these right from the start and a fun aerobatic turboprop. Blue Air Training is flying these for the JTAC contract.

He did indeed! I've had his OV-10s as far back as FS9 I think. They are a great plane, and fun to mess with in the sims. I love them. I grew up around the CDF/Cal Fire ones, so they also have a special place with me. I might actually do a livery from Blue Air, I have one USMC livery that came with this one, plus a Euro-Camo version I just finished.

Members who have read this thread: 79