Scorch00 Airtanker Conversion Projects - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scorch00 Airtanker Conversion Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    In a word, 'stunning'
    I like the vibrancy your getting into the exterior textures.
    T43
    Thank you very much. It's turning out to be a very nice looking airplane I think. Hopefully everyone enjoys it once I am able to get it out there.

In other big news. I can say officially that the two additional piston tanker projects will be involving the Aeroplane Heaven C-119 and B-17. I was very graciously granted permission by them to do the airtanker modifications. Of which I recently started putting a prototype together for the C-119. The C-119 I will be doing will have the Steward-Davis Jet Pak modification installed onto the airplane. A small number of civilian C-119s and some from the Indian Air Force received this modification that was used nearly entirely by C-119s used in aerial firefighting. The SD Jet Pak boosted the C-119s MTOW from 74,000lbs to 77,000lbs. I'm working on flight dynamics changes that involve the added performance of the Westinghouse J34 that was added to the top of the fuselage. Along with matching sounds and firefighting repaints to accompany it. The B-17 tanker will also evolve in a similar fashion, but with different external modifications associated with it's service as a firebomber. Those projects may shift around depending on interest by both the community as well as my own. But The Mars and RJ85 pack are my primary focus at the current time. They are definite planned in the near future.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    In other big news. I can say officially that the two additional piston tanker projects will be involving the Aeroplane Heaven C-119 and B-17.
    Certainly is big news.

Thanks for all your work on all the projects you've done. I've really enjoyed them.
    Version: P3Dv5.4 HF2, CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.3 GHz with HT on, GPU: RTX 3080 12GB, RAM: 32GB DDR-5, MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.

P3Dv4+ Martin JRM Mars Released!

Hello all. Just a follow up to let people know that the Martin Mars has been uploaded here on SOH.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=29056

Work is already well underway on the next project. The repaint pack for the QW Avro RJ85. This will include a tank asset to attach to the model via FireFighterX as well as a considerable number of repaints. Essentially all of Conair's fleet operating in Canada, all of AeroFlite's fleet operating in the United States, and the Conair contracted RJs operating in Australia. Jeremy U. (tankerguy72) has given me one of his detailed tank designs to use for the tank asset. I've applied additional things to it for the coming package.

AeroFlite T-160 is one of the first completed.
    [

Good to see the Martin Mars for P3DV5. Another good conversion and I might add a welcome return to the world of flying boats. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    Work is already well underway on the next project. The repaint pack for the QW Avro RJ85. This will include a tank asset to attach to the model via FireFighterX as well as a considerable number of repaints. Essentially all of Conair's fleet operating in Canada, all of AeroFlite's fleet operating in the United States, and the Conair contracted RJs operating in Australia. Jeremy U. (tankerguy72) has given me one of his detailed tank designs to use for the tank asset. I've applied additional things to it for the coming package.

AeroFlite T-160 is one of the first completed.
    [
    Recall the BAE146 waterbombers doing the hills near our place in during the Bushfires - alas I have the JF 146 - never got the QW version.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Recall the BAE146 waterbombers doing the hills near our place in during the Bushfires - alas I have the JF 146 - never got the QW version.
    In theory if you have Lorby's FFX, this could also attach to the JF one as well, but obviously without the livery to match, it will likely look a little funny. Although I could possibly look into including a "clean" white tank option as well. If I had the JF version I'd double check to see if it also fit properly. I assume there are some minor differences between model designs, but it could work. FFX has the option in P3D to move the tank attachment positions so it could be done with minor adjustments in the client, again in theory.

I have finished the Australian contract liveries. B-391 for EMV Victoria, B-165 (seen here), and B-166 for NSW RFS were completed last night. I will be starting to do Conair's Canadian liveries this week and will finish the pack with the US operator AeroFlite's fleet before moving on to the final stages of doing the work for the tank asset.

The 3 Canadian liveries for the RJ85 are now completed. T-561, 564, and 566 (seen here) will make up that section of the pack. The AeroFlite fleet makes up the bulk of the active RJ85s and will consist of the other half of the pack roughly. I plan on testing them to see if they are in fact FSX/P3D compatible (I believe they are based on my version of the QW RJ). I'm also going to investigate the possibility of the tank asset's attachment to other 3D modelers versions in both FSX and P3D if I can to see if the tank is in fact cross version compatible. The 3D model variation in design would be the only variable and may not fit properly on other versions as a result. Depending on my findings there, that will also dictate if I also include a "blank" repaint texture for the tank to allow people to repaint their version of the BAe-146 to match, and the tank to those. The pack has gone well, hopefully that means I should be able to get these out later this month hopefully.

HD Previews:

Liveries for the RJ85 are mainly complete now. I will be starting work preparing the tank asset for hopefully both the FSX and P3D versions of FireFighterX. I have a small beta team setup to test FSX compatibility. The hope there is that the attachment in FSX does indeed work. A previous project had to be thrown out due to the limitations of FSX. Hoping this will be different with this project. But we'll see. At minimum the tank asset will work for P3Dv4 and above, but the liveries will work in FSX/P3D. Also on the table is a rework of the Q400-AT project I released last year. I've decided to address some things with it since Conair operates both the Q400 and the RJ85, so it was logical to me after visiting the specs from the operator on both aircraft and such to adjust some shortfalls with the Q400. So it not only will be getting the corrected rear fuselage for the AT versions, but I will also make adjustments to the proper weights and performance. As they were off considerably from the real aircraft. In particular low speed performance. 140+ knot approach speeds with a nearly completely empty aircraft are not accurate at all, nor is the horrible takeoff roll. In excess of 5500' fully loaded, IRL it's closer to 4500. Drop speed for the Q400 is 125 knots. This was nearly impossible to attain without an extreme nose high attitude. Also it's lack of airspeed decay when throttles are reduced was also adjusted. Seen here is a steep approach angle and stopping fairly well without the use of much if any toe brakes. So far the adjustments I'm happy with. The stock version could not do an approach like this and land at 108 knots, it would be closer to 130 knots by the time it crossed the runway threshold. IRL it's near 116 knots in passenger configuration. So at 108 knots, that I'm pretty happy with a very light aircraft. But that aside, the V2 pack will move to be both FSX and P3D compatible, as the original was only for P3D. It will also get more liveries.

FD updates are finished and what I'd consider acceptable for the Q400-AT based more entirely on released fact sheets on the Airtanker version. Also adjusted wheel contact points, main gear were actually floating off the ground, even under a full payload. That's been adjusted, seen here. Livery updates will start soon and more will be added to the V2.0 pack. Since more are now active. Unknown at this time how many additional liveries I'll add, but it may be a lot since it's likely as usual. I will likely be the only one making firefighting repaints for it. Model was also reconfigured to be FSX native once again. V1.0 would not export successfully as an FSX native model and the previous version was for P3Dv4+ only. V2.0 will be compatible in both FSX and P3Dv4+. This will release after the upcoming RJ85 repaint/tank asset package.

RJ85 Repaint & Tank Asset Released

The FSX beta test for the tank was not successful and it was deemed for further projects such as this, due to FSX's limitations and what we're trying to achieve with FireFighterX it's just not possible given that sim's limitations. FSX development of tank/attachment assets will no longer take place. They will be focused entirely on use in P3D. With the exception that the tank models can be attached entirely to the existing model. However, the 4K textures work just fine in FSX. The files are live here on SOH. The pack includes 12, 4K liveries. 3 for Australia (EMV Victoria & NSW RFS, Conair), 3 for Canada (British Columbia, Conair), and 6 for US operator AeroFlite. There's also an included weight adjustment as well. The RJ in tanker configuration upon getting info sheets have a slightly higher MTOW than they do in commercial operations. Nothing else was modified in that regard.

The Q400 project will now take center stage. The V2 package will include all active liveries seen on the Q400 over the last several years. Liveries are planned for Australia, Canada, France, and the USA. Likely 14 liveries at this point in time minimum. So it may take awhile to compile that. Model wise and flight dynamics wise. The V2 is pretty much completed outside the liveries. This will be a complete override of the original V1 pack if anyone has it. Also, as mentioned previously, the V2 pack will be FSX and P3D compatible now and not just for P3D.

Repaints are the main focus at the moment. There are some minor adjustments I need to address before I continue with repaints, and honestly after last night my eyeballs need a rest. Liveries are I'd say around 75% completed though. Last night I managed to finish Australian, Canadian, and US operator liveries. France is the only remaining few I need to complete and then check over them. Flight dynamics edits are complete, as are some sound adjustments to the reverse thrust sounds, as well as adding some lights to it. An FSX beta test will likely start early next week if I can get the minor fixes tested/addressed this weekend. Seen here is Aero-Flite's first and only US operating Q400-AT T-180. As of 2022, T-180 is the first US operator assigned Q400.

In other news I have slowly restarted some work on the C-119 project. With the permission of Aeroplane Heaven, these will move forward after the Q400 project is out in the world. There will be a series of repaints and as mentioned before the integration of the Steward-Davis Jet Pak modification will occur. Performance and sound updates will also come with that addition. Right now the main R&D is in P3Dv4, but likely will also involve the FSX version as well. Research on this so far has limited it this way as the P3D version cannot be made dual platform compatible due to it's amount of polygons. So this is why there will likely be two different packs to be done. At least that's the plan at the moment. I still need to mess with the FSX version. The SD modification pack wasn't limited to C-119s in aerial firefighting, other civilian owners operated the C-119s with this pack as did the Indian Air Force. Other than the cosmetic addition of the J34 to the fuselage, nothing else externally would differentiate them from non-firefighting platforms. So if it was so wished, people can either use it as a civilian transport or as a firebomber.

Hawkins & Powers T-135

All liveries are complete on the Q400 V2 Package. FSX testing has also been successful. I'm expecting the release of the V2 pack on the 15th of April. Pack will include liveries representing Australia, Canada, France, and the USA. 15 liveries in total.

C-119 R&D continues. The FSX version has been abandoned as FSX limitations in the recompile wont allow the aircraft to be recompiled with my changes added to it unfortunately. The P3D version will see updated flight dynamics for the J34 installed on the fuselage, the SD Jet Pack modification, sounds, firebomber liveries, a 2nd model with a bulbous nose (seen below), and perhaps an addition to the VC. I'm currently trying to see if I can manage adding the Jet Pack's additional throttle to the top of the cockpit's overhead panel. Even without this more of a cosmetic feature, the jet engine will be able to be controlled separately from the radials if you have a HOTAS or throttle controller that can control 4-engine airplanes. Below is the new model that will become T-137 from Hawkins & Powers. This has the new nose and re-adjusted J34 turbojet.

Q400-AT V2 Pack released for FSX and P3D

The Q400-AT/MR V2 Pack has been released here on SOH. The link is below.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4&linkid=29149

Work will now move forward on the P3D release of the C-119 airtanker conversion with Steward-Davis Jet Pack installed. R&D work has run well for it. I now have a modeled and functioning 3rd throttle in the cockpit to control the Jet Pack Engine up top. Still will need to adjust some textures to make it flow better with the interior of the C-119, but that largely works at this point. Will also add this to the 2nd model as well. There are still several things that need to be finished, fine tuning of the adjusted flight model with the addition of the jet engine, as well as finishing all the liveries I intend to include with the pack. This was a rough first test of the new throttle and jet engine start up.

FSX version has been completely axed. SDK limitations and the complexity of the AH model prevent it from being recompiled in MCX. So I've moved on, focusing on it being in P3Dv4+ only. That being said. I've successfully got the 3rd throttle working and is now installed on both expansion models with the Jet Pack up top. I am working on textures and the additional tweaks the flight dynamics need with the jet engine. There are several liveries planned, but work has been slow on them. Hawkins & Powers T-137 is looking to be close to being completed. How many liveries in total has yet to be finalized. But I'd like a decent amount of them. But it definitely wont be all of the tanker paints. There's just too many. Hemet Valley Flying Service, Aero Union, and Hawkins & Powers are the main operators I'm focusing on at the moment.

Charter Member 2015

Take off difficulties Q400

Hello,
    Thanks for these machines, very nice
    BUT I have lot of difficulties to takeoff
    Full flaps, full power 180 knots and it does NOT take off
    Recommendations?
    Thanks in advance

By the way : how to change my signature?
    Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win10/Win11 Pro X64
    Last edited by Emile; April 16th, 2022 at 20:03. Reason: new question
    Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win10/Win11 Pro X64

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks for these machines, very nice
    BUT I have lot of difficulties to takeoff
    Full flaps, full power 180 knots and it does NOT take off
    Recommendations?
    Thanks in advance

By the way : how to change my signature?
    Hello there, thank you for the support! Sorry to hear about the takeoff difficulties. In the readme I put in the takeoff procedures and cautions for not overloading the airplane. If you cannot rotate, its likely those procedures were not followed and the airplane is overweight. When the plane loads into your sim it will be completely loaded with full fuel and a full retardant tank. So you either need to 1)remove fuel weight to no more than 42% total fuel with a full retardant tank, or 2) remove the retardant load from the airplane. Takeoff procedures with a full load of retardant are Flaps 2, Trim Wheel to 50%, MTOW is no more than 68,200lbs. Rotation should be around 4,000' give or take.

Editing your signature I believe is in your profile settings. Top right corner >> Settings >> Left menu >> Edit Signature

Charter Member 2015
    Hello and thanks
    I do not know how to do "1)remove fuel weight to no more than 42% total fuel with a full retardant tank, or 2) remove the retardant load from the airplane"

What do I need to change in the aircraft.cfg?
    Example : Empty the retardant thank...
    Thanks in advance

You don't need to edit the aircraft.cfg file. You can do that easily in your sim itself. In FSX it will be in the fuel and payload window in your loading window before you hit "fly now," button. It should be located right under your weather options in the FSX menu. In there you'll see your total weight and fuel. Adjust them properly and you should be good to go.

CH-47 Project Announced

After the current C-119 project, I have also begun a repaint project for the Nemeth/MilViz CH-47s. The pack will consist of similar firefighting liveries I previously released for the freeware UKMIL version. But will be slightly modernized to represent more recent liveries. Also, I will be doing another tank asset pack for the different internal tank/snorkel attachments for the various operators, as well as properly sized bambi buckets for versions that are not tanked. The buckets provided by FireFighterX do work just fine, but I feel are undersized for the ones actually used on the Chinooks. Below is "4AJ" flown by Billings Flying Service of Montana. Operators Coulson-Unical, Columbia Helicopters, Helimax, and Army National Guard liveries will also join the paints on the Nemeth/MilViz platform. There looks to be at this point to be two versions of EACH of the tank/snorkel attachments, one for the UKMIL version and the other for the Nemeth/MilViz version. Hopefully any other platforms people have can pick either version to attach to their CH-47 and it will fit using either option. The buckets will be unaffected by the different 3D models. The tank assets will be for P3D only however. Repaints will be for either FSX or P3D though.

The Steward-Davis Jet Pack modified C-119s are in the process of being approved on here and the other site I upload my work to. So that will be forward posted in here once it's approved. The C-119s not only have the J34 affixed on the fuselage, but have performance additions for the jet, as well as it being able to be controlled independently of the radials if you have a throttle and assignments set up that way. It's a pretty cool modification I have to say. I'm pretty proud of it.

ND/MIlViz CH-47 work continues for the firefighting repaint package as well as the parallel tank/snorkel and bambi bucket additions for FireFighterX. I have two sets complete for the MILVIZ CH-47's dimensions and just finished those changes for the Nemeth/MilViz CH-47, seen here on Billings and Columbia's helicopters tank and snorkel systems on the ND/Nemeth CH-47. The challenging tank will be Coulson-Unical's as their tank has a retractable snorkel. Which I'd like to have work, but we'll see if I can get that to work as an attachable object as this project progresses.

C-119 Steward-Davis Jet Pack Airtankers uploaded!

If you haven't caught the upload yet, it is live here on SOH now at the link below.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=29192

Focus has now moved to repainting the Nemeth/MilViz CH-47s with firefighting liveries. Prototype tanks are currently in development for the Nemeth/MilViz CH-47 and the UKMIL CH-47s. I plan on also trying to do a few different bambi buckets, but haven't started the modeling process yet or am I 100% positive that different buckets will be added as tank assets for FireFighterX. The Nemeth MilViz repaints are slated for Coulson-Unical (seen below), Columbia Helicopters, Billings Flying Service, Helimax, Helifor, and California Army National Guard.

Nemeth repaints are continuing for the CH-47s. As are the tank assets. I am working out details for the different tank/snorkel setups for the operators that use them. I've recently added the tank overflow nozzles to both the Billings and Helimax setups. I still need to properly scale the tank doors on the bottom properly as well. But things are progressing well with that part of the project. I'm currently contemplating nixing the UKMIL options for now. After testing the aircraft with the tanks setup in FFX it's clear that it is not properly setup to actually carry anything close to the aircraft's true weight. So I'd have to completely edit the aircraft.cfg files for the UKMIL versions to operate them how they would be IRL. Not something I'm really looking at doing.

Helimax:

Billings:

Video of the Helimax version while testing with FFX in P3D:

Members who have read this thread: 79