New Bombs & Depth Charges by UT

Thread: New Bombs & Depth Charges by UT

New Bombs & Depth Charges by UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Other - Weapon packs

Description: GB Depthcharges for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of GB Depthcharge models, compiled as weapon bgls, so they can be added via the aircraft dp.

Shessi has already modelled both these weapons, but I came across some data that made some more detailed modelling possible. They are multiLOD, & each model centre is the pylon hang point, same as Allens & DBolts weapons. This should allow for some consolidation of aircraft mounts, helping with CFS 2's 24 Hardpoint limit.

WEP_GB_mkVII450lbDC_UT First deployed during the early part of 1941. The round nose could lead to richochet on impact. Operational experience favoured more lighter weight weapons, & this DC was slowly replaced by the lighter 250lb DC.

WEP_GB_mkVIII250lbDC_UT Developed during 1941 & supplanted then superceded the 450lb DC during the course of 1942.

Launch limits were <500ft altitude & <173mph (150kts). CFS 2 does not model depthcharges or aerial mines, so both are configured as Type 1 bombs, to give the smallest splash on impact.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Allen for his Making Exploding Objects using FS2002 Tools & Tutorial
    Arno Gerretsen for ModelconverterX & FXeditor, such clever & versatile tools

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
    OCT 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit GB Depthcharges UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

US Depthbombs UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Other - Weapon packs

Description: US Depthbombs for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of US Depthbomb models, compiled as weapon bgls, so they can be added via the aircraft dp.

These US Navy weapons are missing from CFS 2. Anecdotal accounts of US PBY & P4Y1 missions often mention 300lb & 600lb bombs as payloads - they are referring to aircraft depthbombs (analagous with GB aerial depthcharges). They are multiLOD, & each model centre is the pylon hang point, same as Allens & DBolts weapons. This should allow for some consolidation of aircraft mounts, helping with CFS 2's 24 Hardpoint limit.

wep_US_mk17DC_UT 325lb depthbomb, deployed during March/April 1942.

wep_US_mk29DC_UT 650lb depthbomb, deployed circa May 1942.

Both these weapons were round-nosed, & combat experience suggested they could richochet on impact.

wep_US_mk37DC_UT 650lb depthbomb, basically a mk29 with a new tail. As with the GB 450lb DC, operational feedback suggested more lighter weight bombs were better, so the 650lb weapons were gradually phased out during 1943.

wep_US_mk41DC_UT 325lb depthbomb, basically a flat-nosed mk17. Replaced the earlier weapons through 1943.

CFS 2 does not model depthcharges or aerial mines, so all are configured as Type 1 bombs, to give the smallest splash on impact.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

UncleTgt
    OCT 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit US Depthbombs UT

GB Aerial Mines UT

Description: B Aerial Mines for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of GB aerial mine models, compiled as weapon bgls, so they can be added via the aircraft dp. Alphasim, Groundcrew & Baldy have all modelled air-droppable mine weapons before, but I was able to acess some more detailed information regarding overall weights & dimensions. I put these together with a variety of photographic sources to arrive at a range of weapons that hopefully gives an impression of how this weapon type was developed through ww2.

They are multiLOD, & each model centre is the pylon hang point, same as Allens & DBolts weapons. This should allow for some consolidation of aircraft mounts, helping with CFS 2's 24 Hardpoint limit.

wep_GB_mkI_mine_UT First deployed during the summer of 1940. Designed to fit into the mkXII torpedo release gear. At first it was not parachute retarded & required the aircrew to fly very low & slow, hence it's use by FAA Swordfish aircraft. Total weight was c.1500lbs.

wep_GB_mkV_mine_UT A slightly smaller mine, introduced in 1941. Deployed with a drogue parachute which allowed dropping from higher altitude & faster speeds. By June 1943 RAF Bomber Command were dropping their mines from 6000ft altitude, safely beyond light flak gun range. This mk was found to be more effective in shallow water, & would be used to mine major rivers & canal channels. Total weight 1080lbs.

wep_GB_mkVI_mine_UT A replacement for the mkI with more arming options, this became common by early 1944. By this time RAF BC were dropping from 15000ft, & were using H2S for targetting. Total weight 1500lbs.

wep_GB_mkIX_mine_UT The late war mine with more arming options, this became common through 1944. By this time RAF BC were dropping from 15000ft, & were using H2S for targetting. Total weight 1775lbs.

Early waraunch limits were <1500ft altitude & <200mph (170kts).

CFS 2 does not model depthcharges or aerial mines, so all are configured as Type 1 bombs, to give the smallest splash on impact.

Thanks to

UncleTgt
    OCT 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit GB Aerial Mines UT

US Aerial Mines UT

Description: US Aerial Mines for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of US aerial mine models, compiled as weapon bgls, so they can be added via the aircraft dp. Alphasim, Groundcrew & Baldy have all modelled air-droppable mine weapons before, but I was able to acess some more detailed information regarding overall weights & dimensions. I put these together with a variety of photographic sources to arrive at a range of weapons that hopefully gives an impression of how this weapon type was developed through ww2.

They are multiLOD, & each model centre is the pylon hang point, same as Allens & DBolts weapons. This should allow for some consolidation of aircraft mounts, helping with CFS 2's 24 Hardpoint limit.

wep_US_mk13_mine_UT A small aircraft mine, this was designed to use 1000lb bomb release gear, & could be used as a normal bomb instead. Total weight 1118lbs.

wep_US_mk25_mine_UT The standard large aircraft mine. Total weight 2000lbs.

wep_US_mk24_FIDO_UT Not strictly a mine at all, but the world's first acoustic homing ASW torpedo. Introduced into service in March 1943. Drop limits were: maximum drop altitude 200-300ft, aircraft speed <142mph (120kts). Unfortunately, this will behave like the other normal torpedoes & run in a straight line...

Thanks to

UncleTgt
    OCT 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit US Aerial Mines UT

Dutch Bombs UT

Description: NL Bombs for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of NL bomb models, compiled as weapon bgls, so they can be added via the aircraft dp. They are based largely on photos, with overall dimensions extrapolated from other nation's weapons such as Poland, which also developed bombs from the German PuW type.

WEP_NL_50kgVMNo2_UT 50kg MLD bomb, I guess used as a dual purpose Anti-Submarine/ GP weapon.

WEP_NL_100kgVMNo2_UT 100kg MLD bomb, basically a scaled-up 50kg weapon.

WEP_NL_200kgVMNo2_UT 200kg MLD bomb. No photo evidence for this weapon, but it is listed on the Do24K loading table. Again, I just scaled up the 50kg weapon some more.

WEP_NL_300kg_UT Mentioned as being used by USAAF B-17s during the struggle for Java. Thanks to some Photo evidence via SOH member Huub Vink I was able to extrapolate how this PuW influenced design would look like in the sim.

Thanks to

Huub Vink for searching & finding a photo of the eliusive Dutch 300kg bomb.
    Shessi for helping find some photo evidence of the MLDs VMNo2 series of bombs.

UncleTgt
    OCT 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Dutch Bombs UT

Hi UncleTgt
    Great work again.
    Well researched.
    I can think of a couple of DEI missions that will make use of the Dutch bombs.
    Cheers
    Stuart

SOH-CM-2024

Icon26 Bombs & Depth Charges

Hi Uncle Tgt,

Thanks you for these wonderful additions.
    I am going back through all my CFS2 installs and adding your new weapons.

Keep up the great work,
    Regards And Best Wishes,

What great additions. Thanks John! These have a photorealistic look.

Great work on this important detail !!!!

Many thanks, especially for the Dutch weapons !!

You're great !!

hertzie

Hertzie

Thanks. I have some info on some of the Polish & French weapons too, so maybe they'll get a revamp at some stage ...

I should mention that I used a lot of PStrany's model structure & texture file mapping structure in how I approached these weapon models. I had always liked the details in his Hudson weapon packs, & so using ModelconverterX I was able to understand how he put them together.

Once I understood the approach, it became another process sequence to practice within GMax, & doing these small projects helps me to get better at using it.

Thanks John for all the nice new weapons.

Icon22 Reply...

UncleTgt,

Thank you for all of your continued work in CFS2!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Must have missed this when they were first released. Just got them. Thanks. I'm going to experiment and see if I can stick some of these on some aircraft that don't carry anything but bombs.

Members who have read this thread: 1