Vickers Wellesley
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vickers Wellesley

Vickers Wellesley

An old but beautiful CFS2 model by Jeff "Jed/Padbury" Marsh with some new paint on it (still work in progress).

The model is actually a great model and has all sorts of details I haven't noticed before. The Wellesley was the first aircraft by Vickers with a full geodetic structure. Like the Vickers type 253 the fuselage frame had four light-alloy longerons, each made in sections that were screwed together. These longerons were joined by a pair of oppositely handed helical channel members, forming a diagonal tubular mesh.
    This unique structure is beautifully modelled by Jeff in his Wesseley models and clearly visible through the windows in the fuselage. Due to this special fuselage construction there was no room for bomb-bay doors, which is why the aircraft was equipped with two suit case like bomb-containers under the wings. Although the Wesseley looks a bit odd now, it was considered a revolutionary design and an outstanding aircraft when it entered service in 1937, but already outdated at the start of the war.

The repaint depicts an aircraft from 14 Bomber Squadron as it looked in 1938 when stationed in Amman, Trans-Jordan (Now Jordan).

Cheers,
    Huub

Oh fantastic Huub!

Always liked this 'ugly ducking', and Jeff made such a good job of the model, deserved a great tex.

Cheers

Shessi

Didn't Wellesleys set some long distance records before the war?

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Didn't Wellesleys set some long distance records before the war?
    Yes there are some old news reels about this event in the You-Tube move I posted above. The first starts at 1:58.

In one of the news reels I was told that the Australians were equally proud on the event..... So you should know

Cheers,
    Huub

There is a model of the LR flight either available separately or included, I forget which.

The LRF version is a separate download. I will do fresh textures for the LRF version after I have finished these. As the LRF version has a different nose/cowling and doesn't have the bomb-containers, the textures aren't interchangeable.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members +
    Hi Huub, any idea where I can find the LRF version? (To prepare for your paint)
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    hi robbie,

its here in outhouse library cfs2 section; do a search using "Padbury" as keyword and you should find it

ttfn

Pete

Great repaint Huub, looking forward to it very much.

To save time, I have all my frequented uploaders to a separate book marks folder 'SOH by author' that I have kept with me through the years/computers, so here for anyone who need a quick link.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=102586&sort=d

and for Huubs repaint when it's done,

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=14&sort=d

I think I'm more or less finished. My main goal was to produce a Wellesley in more correct colours and as I needed to do a paintkit I also wanted to do something with the geodetic structure (visible, but not too present).

The original:

My version:

The original:

My version:

The original:

And my version:

The original:

And the final one form my repaint:

As said before Jeff's model is great even after all these years and to be honest the original paintwork is definitely not bad. My repaint might disappoint some as it is not as weathered as some other repaints I did. However when I look at the images and movies of the pre-war Wellesleys they look actually quite well maintained. So I did more or les the same with this repaint.

I will upload my repaint soon.....

Cheers,
    Huub

Excellent! A great improvement!

Vickers Wesseley L2706 41 Bomber squadron RAF

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - World War II

Description: This package contains a repaint depicting the Vickers Wesseley Mk.I L2706 from No.14 (Bomber) Squadron RAF. Amman Transjordan 1939. To use these textures you should have the CFS2 version Vickers Wesseley by Jeff "Jed" Marsh installed in FS2004. This model works flawless in FS9 and is available in the library of the Sim-Outhouse ( http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=50&id=3307 )
    An alternative panel configuration file is included, which will sharpen the gauges in the VC in FS2004.

Credits go to Jeff "Jed" Marsh from Padbury aircraft for making this wonderful model, to Martin Wright for his incredible dtxbmp tool, without which these textures wouldn't exist and to Shessi for making me do this repaint.

This should be it.

Enjoy
    Huub Vink
    September 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Vickers Wesseley L2706 41 Bomber squadron RAF
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Thanks Mick!

Its available in the library! Get it while it is still hot!

For those who don't know the model, I can really recommend it. Great model, nice animations.

Cheers,
    Huub

BTW I think Albatross or Condor would have been a better name from this aircraft with its huge wingspan.

Superb Huub...many thanks, and the weathering is just right..

Cheers

Shessi

Off to get it, but always though they should have put the bomb bay/pod on the nose and two engines on the wings, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Off to get it, but always though they should have put the bomb bay/pod on the nose and two engines on the wings, lol.
    I though about that as well. But now it is standard to put the armament on pylons under the wings, so its actually rather strange we see the Wellesley's configuration as something uncommon........

Now I have a sort of a paintkit, I will do some more repaints, but only after I have finished a repaint for the Long Range version.

Cheers,
    Huub

I guess doing that basically turns it into a Wellington, so they did kind of do it.

With more power and pressurisation I bet it could have truly soared. The Geodetic structure would have possibly been well suited to pressurisation, after all they used a Wellington for a test bed many years later.

What I learned while doing this repaint was the fact that the very inventive construction of the fuselage didn't allow bomb-bay doors. The fuselage was more or less created by two opposite spirals. This is one of the great things from Jeff's model because you can actually see this weird construction inside the fuselage from the model.

The fuselage from the Wellington was constructed from large rings between which panels, made from a geodetic structure were mounted (more or less like the wings of the Wellesley and Wellington).

Barnes Wallis had quite some clever ideas!

That is the main fun of doing repaints you can't avoid to learn some additional things

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks, i will have a look at this.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Thanks, Pete, lol.. I've lost my 'searching' touch!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members +
    Many years ago, there was a Hurricane that had a transparent skin, so you could see the inners of the plane.
    The Wellesley could be a good candidate for this, as it is most unusual?
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

There was a Bf-109 too. IIRC they were from IS4G.

Library Staff
    Thanks very much Huub for the beautiful repaint which, of course, works perfectly in CFS2.

Would you like me to include it in the CFS2 British skins library as well?

Cheers,
    Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The textures were saved in 32bits format, I wasn't sure whether CFS2 can handle this format. When CFS2 can work with this format, you can of course place them under CFS2 Skins as well.

Thanks,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 1