Corona pastime..

Thread: Corona pastime..

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Corona pastime..

Think I've built more kits the last year than the previous ten... All 1/35 scale.

Tamiya StuG III and Famo W.I.P.:

Tamiya Famo finished:

Tamiya Archer:

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Meng Merkava Mk.4:

And currently on my desk, though I should really get a bigger display case first...:

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

these look great - especially those mud caked wheels and tracks. The plastic kits across the board seem to be getting some nicely detailed new molds.
    they're like high definition compared to what I was building years ago..
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

No kidding! The merkava has more parts in the tracks than some older complete Revell kits I built many years ago.

I rediscovered modelling these past 2 years. Am currently working on Syrian PzKpfw. IV's, T-34's and T-55's.
    Matt

You've just pushed quite a few of my buttons Ferry!
    A very large chunk of Oz is in very hard lockdown and I started to sort several of my unfinished projects out......I'll post some shots ASAP.
    Time to build a few contenders for the IPMS Nationals, if they take place and we're out of lockdown!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    I rediscovered modelling these past 2 years. Am currently working on Syrian PzKpfw. IV's, T-34's and T-55's.
    Miniart models? Good luck with all the small and PE parts...

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    You've just pushed quite a few of my buttons Ferry!
    A very large chunk of Oz is in very hard lockdown and I started to sort several of my unfinished projects out......I'll post some shots ASAP.
    Time to build a few contenders for the IPMS Nationals, if they take place and we're out of lockdown!
    My models will probably never see an IPMS show, but I'm mostly happy with my results..

Even though it is a fun hobby in times like these, it is hard to get the right models and accessories. Last year a paint factory in Spain was shut down, so no deliveries from Mig, Ammo and Meng paints. Plastic kits from Hong Kong and China were also hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Miniart models? Good luck with all the small and PE parts...
    Yes, MiniArt! (the PzKpfw. IV is a Dragon kit). I must be the classic masochist, lol. I even have the interior versions. Tons of parts that are almost never seen. I am thinking about how to display all that interior detail. Maybe destroyed versions, but still at an early stage. I am currently focusing on the T-55 with engine and transmission detail. On that one, I plan an engine change diorama.
    Matt

Wow, nice work!

You do better work than I ever did in plastic, and I had a few models on magazine covers.

When the pandemic struck I thought it would give folks more time for their indoor hobbies like modeling, whether it plastic or digital. It's a mystery to me why that never happened. I don't know about plastic modeling, but I saw no increase in the number of digital models on the download pages here or at AvSim or FlightSim. In fact, it seemed that there have been fewer of them. Curious, and rather surprising.

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Wow, nice work!

You do better work than I ever did in plastic, and I had a few models on magazine covers.

When the pandemic struck I thought it would give folks more time for their indoor hobbies like modeling, whether it plastic or digital. It's a mystery to me why that never happened. I don't know about plastic modeling, but I saw no increase in the number of digital models on the download pages here or at AvSim or FlightSim. In fact, it seemed that there have been fewer of them. Curious, and rather surprising.
    Likely due to COVID affecting elderly mostly in terms of the final outcome. Comorbidity issues (2+ combined with age 60+) played a HUGE role in terms of mortality.
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I don't know about plastic modeling, but I saw no increase in the number of digital models on the download pages here or at AvSim or FlightSim. In fact, it seemed that there have been fewer of them. Curious, and rather surprising.
    The model shop I visit often has had a huge increase these past two years. Having said that, I, like you, had thought Flight Sim "modellers" would have followed suit. Unfortunately that is not the case. My next door neighbor was a prolific flight sim enthusiast. He has several awesome aircraft he has and never will release to the public. He has done nada these past two years.

EDIT: I always scan the various download sites and whenever my heart skips a beat on seeing a picture of an aircraft, I look at the title and it always seems to be for X-Plane. Lucky them.
    Matt

Members who have read this thread: 1