Question about squadron code colours.

Thread: Question about squadron code colours.

Question about squadron code colours.

A simple question, and as we have many Brits around here I expect it is quite easy to answer.

When did bomber command introduce the red squadron codes?

And is there some sort of time line which describes the colours of the squadron codes, but also the sequence of the changes in roundels.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi Huub
    For the roundels, Have a look at this link
    https://www.deviantart.com/maxhitman...oday-593133236

For the colours of the Code letters it is a huge can of worms, where from a modelling point of view is easier to have a look to contemporary pictures (the variation was huge)

Bomber Command made official the red code letters (dull red) in 1942 but the application was by no means uniform and you can see all sort of variations, although from 1943 onwards it was more standarized

Have a look in https://www.rafweb.org/Squadrons/Sqn.../sqn_codes.htm

Have fun!
    Born to Fly

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    A simple question, and as we have many Brits around here I expect it is quite easy to answer.

When did bomber command introduce the red squadron codes?

And is there some sort of time line which describes the colours of the squadron codes, but also the sequence of the changes in roundels.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Hi huub, think it's in that little document I included with an Avro paint, as an appendix

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Hi huub, think it's in that little document I included with an Avro paint, as an appendix

Ttfn

Pete
    It was! And can you imagine, the document is actually stored on my desktop

But, going through the nearly legal text of the AMOs was a good read for a lazy Sunday morning, and I found the answer on page 24. The dull read marking were first mentioned in Air Ministry Order A 664/42 from 2.July 1942.

@ascua the document Pete refers to contains all relevant Air Ministry Orders over the WWII period. A lot is described in these orders with incredible details, for instance the size of the small national markings "of the Allied Aircraft under Royal Air Force control", like worn by for instance the Polish, Czech, Canandian. Belgian and Dutch units. However the size of the squadron codes is described, but not a font. This is the same for aircraft registration codes. The is a sort of guideline, however lots of room for interpretation. Like I there isn't a clear description in which order the two letters identifying to which squadron the aircraft belonged and the letter identifying the individual should be placed. In fact the AMO describes that more or less every thing is allowed. And reading these AMOs I also made me realise that rules were often broken or simply not applied.

But I have an answer of my question. The squadron registration on the Wellington R1443 from 304 Polish squadron were still in grey. (The aircraft was lost after a mission on Le Havre (6 May 1941) one of the crew members (P/O Feliks Sobieralski) washed a shore on 14 September 1941 and is one of the many war victims buried in my home town).

Cheers,
    Huub

Born to Fly

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    It was! And can you imagine, the document is actually stored on my desktop

Like there isn't a clear description in which order the two letters identifying to which squadron the aircraft belonged and the letter identifying the individual should be placed. I

Cheers,
    Huub
    Think you'll find Huub, it says something like the squadron codes ( and where used aircraft individual ident) should be displayed according to the space available, when they are painted in standard size, but it is not permitted to separate the squadron codes, so something like A o BC or, BC o A is permitted, ( where BC is squadron code, and o is the roundel) but AB o C or
    B o CA is not, if that makes sense; and only Wing Commanders ( and higher ranks) were permitted to use their initials on a personal plane, like Bader with DB,
    Johnnie Johnson with JEJ etc.

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0