Sooner or later, it had to happen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooner or later, it had to happen.

SOH-CM-2024

Sooner or later, it had to happen.

My thoughts gentlemen.

What is the problem you are having? I have a lowly NVIDIA 1060 video card, 32-GB stick, 4-core I-9 CPU, and use a 4HD 32" Samsung monitor. The only give away I have to do for fast FPS is set my screen size to 1920 X 1080 (HD) and Render Scaling to the 100 (which is 1920 X 1080). Everything I have is set on Ultra except Trees and Grass, which are Medium and still too many trees. Motion Blur and Depth-Of-Field are turned off, I see no benefit in either. FPS set at 30 and V-Sync turned Off. I get a steady 30 FPS and even 25 FPS in large cities. I fly in nothing else now. Matter of fact, for all the work I have done in the past for FS2004 and FSX, they're now gone, relics, passe, all add-ons, everything. My system has never been faster. MSFS is a developing sim, sometimes they hit a SNAFU, but they always get it straightened out. I have started doing scenery for MSFS and my only regret of the new sim is the difficulty in doing repaints without a decent layered kit. But I shall always be here at SOH, just no longer participating in FSX or FS2004, never had P3D. MSFS is like real flying once one gets things assigned correctly, I am loving every minute of it. Can't wait to step up to a new video card.

Cazzie

SOH-CM-2023
    I bought my latest PC just for MSFS. My FPS is about 39-40 even over New York city, at 1920 X 1080 . I'm quite happy with it. I also love flying the photogrammetry cities.

Similarly I've stopped developing FSX scenery some years past and intend now to just enjoy flying without developing for MSFS.

Cyberpower Hardware
    Intel Core Processor I7-10700K 8/16 3.8GHZ 16 MB Cache LGA1200
    Corsair 8GB DDR4-3000 Vengence LPX
    1 TB WD Blue SSD 2.5" SATSIII 6.0 GB/s
    1 TB Caviar Blue HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200 RPM 6.0 GB/s
    NVIDA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6
    Windows 10 Home

It's sometimes easy to forget how good we have it at the moment. We always joked about we spent more time tweaking the sim to get every little performance gain we could or installing and uninstalling add-ons for FSX, I'm so glad that's not a thing anymore.

SU5 introduced some new problems, particularly with third party add-ons, and I feel like the messaging from Asobo and third party developers regarding add-on compatibility with new updates needs to be better. If Dino Cattaneo can warn all of his customers ahead of time about what is changing, how that will affect their products and when we can expect them to be fixed, why can't others devs?

Within a week most of the issues have been resolved and the sim is performing better than ever. Last time around we had to wait 2 years for the Acceleration expansion to address any major issues, which itself was riddled with bugs and half finished ideas that would end up never being fixed (DX10 is a great example).

The transparency we have seen from Asobo is very unusual in major game developers. How many developers do monthly developer Q and A sessions, weekly snapshots of community feedback, bugs and issues and wishlist items? When something goes wrong, they are always very transparent about what went wrong and why and how they can prevent it from happening again. It's hard for me to ask for much more. Of course I would be happier if new bugs were never introduced and everything always worked exactly as it was intended, but that's just not a realistic expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    My thoughts gentlemen.

What is the problem you are having? I have a lowly NVIDIA 1060 video card, 32-GB stick, 4-core I-9 CPU, and use a 4HD 32" Samsung monitor. The only give away I have to do for fast FPS is set my screen size to 1920 X 1080 (HD) and Render Scaling to the 100 (which is 1920 X 1080). Everything I have is set on Ultra except Trees and Grass, which are Medium and still too many trees. Motion Blur and Depth-Of-Field are turned off, I see no benefit in either. FPS set at 30 and V-Sync turned Off. I get a steady 30 FPS and even 25 FPS in large cities. I fly in nothing else now. Matter of fact, for all the work I have done in the past for FS2004 and FSX, they're now gone, relics, passe, all add-ons, everything. My system has never been faster. MSFS is a developing sim, sometimes they hit a SNAFU, but they always get it straightened out. I have started doing scenery for MSFS and my only regret of the new sim is the difficulty in doing repaints without a decent layered kit. But I shall always be here at SOH, just no longer participating in FSX or FS2004, never had P3D. MSFS is like real flying once one gets things assigned correctly, I am loving every minute of it. Can't wait to step up to a new video card.

Cazzie
    Thanks for this post Cazzie. In these trying times, it's so nice to get some positive thoughts from someone! IMHO MSFS is what flightsim should have been all along. Ok there are bugs, but what program doesn't have them? And like other posters in this thread say, this program is so complex, covers the whole world in great detail and it performs like a champ. The devs of the game are open (of course, they're French!) and the game is evolving.

Isn't this what we've been asking for all these years?

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    I bought my latest PC just for MSFS. My FPS is about 39-40 even over New York city, at 1920 X 1080 . I'm quite happy with it. I also love flying the photogrammetry cities.

Similarly I've stopped developing FSX scenery some years past and intend now to just enjoy flying without developing for MSFS.

Cyberpower Hardware
    Intel Core Processor I7-10700K 8/16 3.8GHZ 16 MB Cache LGA1200
    Corsair 8GB DDR4-3000 Vengence LPX
    1 TB WD Blue SSD 2.5" SATSIII 6.0 GB/s
    1 TB Caviar Blue HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200 RPM 6.0 GB/s
    NVIDA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6
    Windows 10 Home

Get the SDK and have a go at scenery for MSFS, it's easier than you think. Watch some of Flying Theston's YouTube Tutorials. It'll be trial and error at first, but once you get the hang of Asobo's structure, it's a charm.

Icon25

Am tempted to look at the SDK........ but........ no.

When I started this hobby back in 1975 (yes, no typo) I was dreaming of how great it would be to improve the then mainframe based, character-moving simulator to have actual images and maybe look like real aircraft..... Many years later FS2004 was getting pretty close to what we thought back in '75 should maybe be possible one day.

But MSFS2020....... no, we didn't even want to imagine something like that back then, since not even movies came anywhere close to the real world.

So, after 46 years I am totally happy with what I have running now, flying over New York, Chicago, Seattle just the way I remember from real life..... flying through my French and Swiss mountains, over my Italian hills..... more or less exactly how it looks today in real life..... and just too tired to try and make add-ons for it anymore. Close enough to perfect for this old guys. Now spending my energy on building an actual home cockpit.

Just my2 cents.....

F.
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Right on the money, Caz. I do still have FSX installed due to the great planes I have that I enjoy flying. As the newer versions of these planes trickle into MSFS, FSX will eventually fade out totally. Also, I retired last December, so my time is now simming or building my models again. Oh, and the train layout, and American Truck Simulator, and ......... you get the idea. EVERYDAY is SATURDAY!!!!! Don Moser

I miss having all of the combat capability I had in P3D (Night vision, especially). I miss all of the planes I had in FSX. I miss my "Golden Age" FS2004 installation. I miss Piglet and all of his great planes and grateful for all of the developers (Gordon, Milton, Rob, so many more I don't have time to mention...) from past sims. But being in MSFS and having the amazing performance and visuals, there's no way in hell I'm going back. Even with the weird visual effect I haven't figured out that makes me kind of seasick (If I go to external view and pan around, the angle of the horizon changes and when I stop panning it slowly comes back to a different angle. It makes me woozy). Still, not going back. This sim is quite amazing right now. Just like all of the other sims, it's going to get better, in no small part due to the developers, which is something new to all of us. Great Post Caz. Welcome to the MSFS club!

Totally agree with the OP.

Why can't we just enjoy what we have. There will always be bugs.

Words can not express the level of gratitude I have for all those talented people that have been providing us Add-ons for FSX, FS2004 and P3D over al these years, and of course for those who will bring us add-ons and mods for FS2020

All I'm missing right now is the Connie, DC-3/C-47 and a good 737.

For now, I am having a blast with PMDG's DC-6, and JustFlight's Arrow's. A beaver would be a nice addon for some bush flying.

Back to enjoying some more flight simming (wish there was more time in a day, lol).

Happy Flying to all
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    Right on the money, Caz. I do still have FSX installed due to the great planes I have that I enjoy flying. As the newer versions of these planes trickle into MSFS, FSX will eventually fade out totally. Also, I retired last December, so my time is now simming or building my models again. Oh, and the train layout, and American Truck Simulator, and ......... you get the idea. EVERYDAY is SATURDAY!!!!! Don Moser
    Good old (young !) Don........ retired, you !!!???
    Umbria, Italy

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    Good on you Don,

I've been playing my hand at doing scenery for MSFS. I was appalled when I took off in the initial edition from KDAN and there was not even one hanger, all flat! So this old fart went tutoraling. I did KDAN and then Blue Ridge (KMTV) Martinsville, as it was blank also. Funny how MSFS got Shiloh and SoBo right? Both of mine are up at FlightSim.to if you'd like them.

I waited a long time, but I simply was never flying in FSX nor FS2004 and I was not doing any work on repaints, it was time to let go. I hated thinking of all the money I'd spent on both, but hey, if I helped someone by doing so, good. But it really cleaned out my C: Drive. Uninstalled all add-ons first, then freeware, then the programs. Took half a day, LOL. After done, ran a CCleaner and did a total defrag while I slept. Next morning did a Shut Down - Restart and my PC hummed like a new pony. And MSFS has never been so good, getting 30 FPS steady on my lowly 1060 card (I'll be getting a new card soon) with all settings described as above.

But you know something Don Moser, Caz Dalton has an itch and he has got to get back to whittling plastic!

Caz

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    Am tempted to look at the SDK........ but........ no.

When I started this hobby back in 1975 (yes, no typo) I was dreaming of how great it would be to improve the then mainframe based, character-moving simulator to have actual images and maybe look like real aircraft..... Many years later FS2004 was getting pretty close to what we thought back in '75 should maybe be possible one day.

But MSFS2020....... no, we didn't even want to imagine something like that back then, since not even movies came anywhere close to the real world.

So, after 46 years I am totally happy with what I have running now, flying over New York, Chicago, Seattle just the way I remember from real life..... flying through my French and Swiss mountains, over my Italian hills..... more or less exactly how it looks today in real life..... and just too tired to try and make add-ons for it anymore. Close enough to perfect for this old guys. Now spending my energy on building an actual home cockpit.

Just my2 cents.....

F.
    Francois, the community cannot thank you enough for all the contributions you have made to our Flight Sims in the past. Everything is a progression, I am not far behind you and was once a master modeler (scale plastic), but simply got burned out on the hobby. Now I have an itch to start back constructing models after 15 years. But when done as I do them, they are so time consuming, even for one retired.

Cazzie

Blog Entries
    I have three hobbies. The first one, Woodworking, is now primarily used to fulfill "Honey-Dos". The other two are Flight Simming and Photography. I read Photography forums. If you would just replace the brand names, many of the posts would be flight sim posts. The pros and cons (mostly cons) of this camera or lens. Why this guys is quitting photography because...or why Nikon, Canon, or Sony's newest model is really not as good as the older model. I would finish reading, pick up my camera and go out to try and take good pictures. I believe many of the posters got more pleasure out of complaining to the world than taking pictures. I think the same of many flight sim posters.

I think it is human nature to find faults in everything (except my wife. She told me long ago that she is perfect). It is how we humans improve things. No problem, no motivation to improve. However, we can sometimes miss the mountain because of the pebble we stumble over.

Now, I have been know to rant and rave when the perfect sim the night before won't even start the next morning. Most of the time I just try and enjoy what the sim offers. When I was a child, I use to take a chair and turn it so the back was on the ground. I would sit on the back with my back against the seat. A large cardboard box with dials drawn on the bottom, along with a short piece of broom handle was my simulator. My imagination supplied the rest. I was in the clouds soring in my P-40 Warhawk or P-51 Mustang.

We sure have come a log ways from those days.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Cazzie and John: YUP !!!!
    Umbria, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    Good old (young !) Don........ retired, you !!!???
    Hi, Francois!! Hope you and Nina are doing well! Yes, RETIRED! Enough work. It is playtime now! I have all my hobbies. My wife has hers too, so we both stay busy. Surviving this COVID crap with no illness in the household, which to us is easy - we're cave dwellers anyhow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Good on you Don,

I've been playing my hand at doing scenery for MSFS. I was appalled when I took off in the initial edition from KDAN and there was not even one hanger, all flat! So this old fart went tutoraling. I did KDAN and then Blue Ridge (KMTV) Martinsville, as it was blank also. Funny how MSFS got Shiloh and SoBo right? Both of mine are up at FlightSim.to if you'd like them.

I waited a long time, but I simply was never flying in FSX nor FS2004 and I was not doing any work on repaints, it was time to let go. I hated thinking of all the money I'd spent on both, but hey, if I helped someone by doing so, good. But it really cleaned out my C: Drive. Uninstalled all add-ons first, then freeware, then the programs. Took half a day, LOL. After done, ran a CCleaner and did a total defrag while I slept. Next morning did a Shut Down - Restart and my PC hummed like a new pony. And MSFS has never been so good, getting 30 FPS steady on my lowly 1060 card (I'll be getting a new card soon) with all settings described as above.

But you know something Don Moser, Caz Dalton has an itch and he has got to get back to whittling plastic!

Caz
    Thanks Caz. I knew you had to cut some plastic and fingers eventually. You're too good at it to just park it forever. How are the wife and kids doing? I guess they are all grown up by now! Hell, we've known each other for almost 30 years. They were little then - about my son's age I think. I'll toss some pics of some of my builds on here in another forum when I get some pictures. Almost done with all my 109s. Had about 15 of them to build. Modeling is just getting so expensive to do now (my way - aftermarket crap!) but worth it. I'll go grab your sceneries. Thanks for the freeware. All of mine was always freeware. Strongly believe in it - for the fun of it!! Talk soon, my old friend! Don

I never went past FS9, but there are still a few things I miss about that one - especially Jan's Connies.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I never went past FS9, but there are still a few things I miss about that one - especially Jan's Connies.
    Tsk tsk tsk........
    Umbria, Italy

Blog Entries
    I can only say one two nice things about this sim: It has a very pretty face and it wears it's makeup well. I'm sorry, but I work with this program every day and with things like a fixed limited number of engines and propellers you can use; the abrupt and casual renamng of standard aerodynamic entitiees, I can say nothing positive outside of, its very very pretty. Enjoy your flight. I and others will continue working to give at least that much too you..
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    I can only say one two nice things about this sim: It has a very pretty face and it wears it's makeup well. I'm sorry, but I work with this program every day and with things like a fixed limited number of engines and propellers you can use; the abrupt and casual renamng of standard aerodynamic entitiees, I can say nothing positive outside of, its very very pretty. Enjoy your flight. I and others will continue working to give at least that much too you..
    Pam
    Pam, on your website, it says that you're working on another big radial. Would you mind lifting the veil somewhat?

Loving your P-40 BTW!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Blog Entries
    Gladly.. There are actualy two big radials in the pipeline and the second is going to be amazing.. The first is the Wing42 Boeing 247. Made in 1933 it was America's first modern air liner. It's a low wing twin engined monocoque design with a top speed of 189 mph. it's beautiful so far and I havent made it oast measuring everything yet ::LOL::.. The 247 is also the B-17s daddy, and it becomes quite obvious when you see it.. Now there were twomodels of the 247. The first had a windscreen that was tited forward. This was supposed to have cut down on the reflections from inside the cockpit and it did, but it picked up reflections from the ground and surrounding environment. Sort of a damned if you do thing. We have focused on the d model which has the classic b-17 style windscreen. Both aircraft are simply beautiful in my book though. The 247 was also in an offhanded way responsible for the DC-2. Trans Western Airlines ordered over a hundred b-247s, but boeing wanted to keep the plane for its own airlines which today we call United.. TWA took the challenge and approached Douglas, and the DC-2 and slightly later the DC-3 were born.. The rest is history

https://wing42.com/boeing-247/?v=7516fd43adaa

The second plane I cant talk about quite yet beyond thatit was also made in the 1930s also, and was made famous by a guy looking for a waxy substance in the depths of the south american jungles ..

[EDIT I take the liberty of editing my typo since it is confusing.

In the "big radials" engine category it seems that you forget the Canso PBY-5A on which French-VFR is working.
    Some pictures has been published on the official forum two months ago and also on FSDeveloper:
    => https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/some-projects-that-i-will-upgrade-from-fsx-to-p3d-and-msfs.451373/#post-875046

Last edited by lagaffe; August 19th, 2021 at 00:29.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lagaffe View Post
    In the Big radials It seems that you forget the Canso PBY-5A on which French-VFR is working.
    Some pictures has been published on the official forum two months ago and also on FSDeveloper:
    Ah!. No Sir.. I did not forget. I quite simply never knew of it. Neither am I working with the company called Big Radials at this time. I have no inside information on what they are doing or planning. Currently I m teamed up with SWS and wing42. for SWs I am working on a Zenith CH-701 which was just submitted to Microsoft Market. Outside of Sws and Wing42 i am a mushroom. I am very ill and limited in my capabilities as to what i caan get done in a day, spending most of my time watching Narrowboat video logs from great Britain as i find them relaxing and enjoyable. So, my apologies, but I never knew of the Canso PBY as all my time in sim is spent developing projects I've been asked to help with, and truthfully, even that is becoming more limited all the time..
    Beautiful job on the engines btw. I will look forward to your Cat with a great deal of excitement..

Hi Pam,

Sorry but there is a confusion due to the fact that I used a capital letter for the term big (and you note a lower case for radial, the tablet's built-in dictionary transformed my text).
    I was not referring to the "Big Radials" team and his stuff (P-40 and Niewport 17) but simply to the planes with a big star engine and PBY-5A is for me a "big radial", i think you agree with this ?

An other tim, sorry but it was not a reproach, but since we were talking about aircraft with a star engine, I just wanted to mention this ongoing project that I had not presented on SOH, because I think that publishing the same article on several forums is rather redundant and serves no purpose: the world of developers on FS is quite small.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lagaffe View Post
    Hi Warchild,

Sorry but there is a confusion due to the fact that I used a capital letter for the term big (and you note a lower case for radial, the tablet's built-in dictionary transformed my text).
    I was not referring to the "Big Radials" team and his stuff (P-40 and Niewport 17) but simply to the planes with a big star engine and PBY-5A is for me a "big radial", i think you agree with this ?

An other tim, sorry but it was not a reproach, but since we were talking about aircraft with a star engine, I just wanted to mention this ongoing project that I had not presented on SOH, because I think that publishing the same article on several forums is rather redundant and serves no purpose: the world of developers on FS is quite small.
    Indeed it is..

Members who have read this thread: 0