Engine startup smoke effect

Thread: Engine startup smoke effect

Cross Engine startup smoke effect

Would like to know how the startup engine smoke effect is incorporated to an aircraft. I noticed during startup of multi engine aircraft the engine startup exhaust smoke appears on
    engine not yet started; upon inspection of aircraft cfg, I do not see any lights or smoke entries.

I am curious as to how that could be remedied. I suspect this all takes place in the mdl file.

Thanks.

Usually, engine startup smoke and flame is in the [effects] section of the aircraft.cfg.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Usually, engine startup smoke and flame is in the [effects] section of the aircraft.cfg.
    This I know and there is nothing there to fiddle with. I think the sequencing that allows the engine starting up and execute the smoke effect is somehow
    crossed up whereby the engine 1 will start (should also make the startup smoke effect) and engine #2 (not started yet) will show the startup effect. Then
    when engine #1 is running I'll start engine #2 and the smoke effect that should follow from that engine diverts to the engine that was already running i.e
    Engine #1, Hence the term cross fire smoke effect. I hope that paints a picture of what I am trying to explain.

Which aircraft GE?
    That would be useful.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Which aircraft GE?
    That would be useful.
    http://cr1-software.com/addons/ford-trimotor/

As you can see the engine on the left has started and the engine on the right has not started but shows the startup smoke that should of been for engine on the left.
    If you then start up engine on the right, the smoke effect will appear on the engine on the left (engine already running). Something is backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    This I know and there is nothing there to fiddle with. I think the sequencing that allows the engine starting up and execute the smoke effect is somehow
    crossed up whereby the engine 1 will start (should also make the startup smoke effect) and engine #2 (not started yet) will show the startup effect. Then
    when engine #1 is running I'll start engine #2 and the smoke effect that should follow from that engine diverts to the engine that was already running i.e
    Engine #1, Hence the term cross fire smoke effect. I hope that paints a picture of what I am trying to explain.
    Yep and your PM had a good screenshot! I'm wondering if that engine startup effect is for FSX and not really correct for the later versions of P3D.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Yep and your PM had a good screenshot! I'm wondering if that engine startup effect is for FSX and not really correct for the later versions of P3D.
    I thought of that but Thomas says that it will work for FSX & P3D. I thought this issue was very strange and was seeking more info on cause and effect so that perhaps a closer
    examination of file(s) may reveal error(s).

I know the freeware version of the Ford meant for FSX does not have this issue (I tried it); as each engine starts, that particular engine will rotate prop and its exhaust smoke
    will display. Works well with P3D V4.5 Gotta be a programmer boo-boo or bug.

Cross Engine startup smoke effect

Just for grins and giggles, I tried this plane in P3D V3.4 - 32 bit -got the same results.

Dean Crawford's Northrop RF-61C Reporter also displays this startup anomaly.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...23602&catid=37

Since this was developed for FSX, I wonder if this is the result of some change in P3D.
    Version: P3Dv5.4 HF2, CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.3 GHz with HT on, GPU: RTX 3080 12GB, RAM: 32GB DDR-5, MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMuskopf View Post
    Dean Crawford's Northrop RF-61C Reporter also displays this startup anomaly.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...23602&catid=37

Since this was developed for FSX, I wonder if this is the result of some change in P3D.
    I tried this one and same issue as the FORD.

Indeed, both have the same problem, but if you try them out in FSX, they won't have the problem.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Indeed, both have the same problem, but if you try them out in FSX, they won't have the problem.

Priller
    I have never seen that problem in FSX, either.

I can use the Ford Trimotor in P3D V4.5 from this link without any issues:

http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/frontpage.htm

I don't know if this version ^ was meant for P3D or FSX or what but it does well in P3D 4.5 - go figure
    Last edited by gray eagle; July 20th, 2021 at 15:06.

Dean Crawford's Northrop P-61C Black Widow, basically the same aircraft as the Northrop RF-61C Reporter but developed at a later date, works OK. No anomaly.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...lack-Widow-zip

Now I'm curious what the difference is between these two planes.
    Version: P3Dv5.4 HF2, CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.3 GHz with HT on, GPU: RTX 3080 12GB, RAM: 32GB DDR-5, MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.

Here's the fix. The engine locations are reversed laterally in the Aircraft.cfg file. See red numbers below.

On the CR-1 Trimotor: Engine.0 should be 9.6 and Engine.2 should be -9.6.

[GeneralEngineData]

// Engine.0 = 3.5, -9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
    // Engine.1 = 12.2, 0.0, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
    // Engine.2 = 3.5, 9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Engine.0 = 3.5, 9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
    Engine.1 = 12.2, 0.0, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
    Engine.2 = 3.5, -9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Dean Crawford's Northrop RF-61C Reporter has the same problem and can be fixed in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMuskopf View Post
    Here's the fix. The engine locations are reversed laterally in the Aircraft.cfg file. See red numbers below.

On the CR-1 Trimotor: Engine.0 should be 9.6 and Engine.2 should be -9.6.

[GeneralEngineData]

// Engine.0 = 3.5, -9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
    // Engine.1 = 12.2, 0.0, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
    // Engine.2 = 3.5, 9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Engine.0 = 3.5, 9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
    Engine.1 = 12.2, 0.0, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
    Engine.2 = 3.5, -9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Dean Crawford's Northrop RF-61C Reporter has the same problem and can be fixed in the same way.

Wow!!! That works, Thanks for looking into this and the fix.
    What a great catch.

Members who have read this thread: 1