Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan STA out of the blue...

Blog Entries
    That looks nice! A classic.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

This just made my flight sim year to-date. I absolutely love the Ryan STA series, and it is obvious that the developer cares very much for this aircraft type too. The quality and level of detail in the model and textures is exactly what I've come to expect in a MSFS addon (no skimping on the polygons, high-resolution textures, and taking full advantage of PBR). It is absolutely gorgeous to look at, and it flies like a sweetheart too. I've been around a few of these over the years, and they are surprisingly small when you see them in person - and a very snug fit when sitting in the cockpit.

Speechless John...

Blog Entries
    I just purchased this little beauty. If you want a low and slow high visibility sightseeing airplane, this $20 sleeper is a deal. She is well behaved and the detail in VR is amazing.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    If you want a low and slow high visibility sightseeing airplane...
    Looks like she delivers an experience similar to the Carenado Waco, except that you can actually see...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Beautifully gorgeous !

But i'd like to take my girlfriend along.... For all i know the ST-A is a two seater while the single seater is called ST-B ?.... Even the description at Simmarket says 'ST-A two seater' ....

Anybody knows what's up with that, will there be a two-seater as well you think ?....

The second seat/cockpit is of course faired/covered over. The official product title/type is that of the Ryan ST-A "Special", which is powered by a 150 hp Menasco C4S engine. The "Special" was originally marketed by Ryan as a single-seat fighter (with the second cockpit faired/covered over), and could feature two 7.7 mm guns, one fitted to each wing. The Guatemalan AF operated six of them, originally ordered in 1938. In civilian-use, they are a very fun, sleek and sporty classic.

Some flying around Booker today.

And a reminder... make sure you remember to change fuel tanks! I was flying around for a while and forgot to switch from the reserve to the main tank and ran it dry, and didn't have enough altitude or airspeed to get me back to the airport. I didn't realize what had caused the engine to stop until I was on the ground.

Last edited by Bomber_12th; May 29th, 2021 at 16:45.

couple of interesting examples - ** this top example has the Ranger L-440 6 cylinder inline engine mounted...

last is similar to the default USAAC trainer paint included but with the aircraft number 22 on the cowl and fuselage (obscured by the wing here) - also this is the proposed trainer version YPT-16 with the forward cockpit and windscreen installed obviously
    Last edited by heywooood; May 29th, 2021 at 20:12.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I'm really struck by how clean and well rounded all of the components of this model are - special notes at the wing root fairings, wheel pants, windscreen bow frame, cockpit coaming, just everywhere. It seems to have absolutely zero vertices whatsoever. Remarkable even by MSFS standards

enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    The second seat/cockpit is of course faired/covered over. The official product title/type is that of the Ryan ST-A "Special", which is powered by a 150 hp Menasco C4S engine. The "Special" was originally marketed by Ryan as a single-seat fighter (with the second cockpit faired/covered over), and could feature two 7.7 mm guns, one fitted to each wing.
    Well, i'd still take my girlfriend along rather than the guns..

Ok, thanks John, must say forgat about the front seat cover. Wasn't it the legendary Bill (and Lynn) Lyons that presented us with a beautiful Ryan STA model in FS2K/FS9 ? Really loved that model and flew the wheel pants off of it. But it was the two seater version so that's what i'm used too. I'll ask the A1R boys if they plan to remove the cover and add a windscreen of some kind. I remember them from 2 Yak's that i bought. Wonderful models.

And thanks for the great photos and screenshots ! Beautiful as always.

Yours too, Heywoooody !

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Well, i'd still take my girlfriend along rather than the guns..
    lol - #metoo - but that seating arrangement is not ideal..too much airplane in the middle
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    lol - #metoo - but that seating arrangement is not ideal..too much airplane in the middle
    You mean the single seater, right ?

Exactly, as far as i understand she was build as a tandem seat trainer, ST even means Sport Trainer. Take one seat away and the fuselage will look out of proportion. She looks like one of those pylon racers like this. I have always loved F1 racing but airplane racing never caused me any enthusiasm. Maybe because that sort of thing is just utterly impossible in my tiny Punch and Judy show here at the Northsea. I did have a pylon racing game many moons ago and loved it for a while. Still, i'll be waiting for the original two seater model. My girlfriend has canceled my allowance in the first place anyway. Just to be sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    And a reminder... make sure you remember to change fuel tanks! I was flying around for a while and forgot to switch from the reserve to the main tank and ran it dry, and didn't have enough altitude or airspeed to get me back to the airport. I didn't realize what had caused the engine to stop until I was on the ground.
    OH! So, that's why the engine quit.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Just bought it. Can't wait to fly it later today

I'm really struck by how clean and well rounded all of the components of this model are - special notes at the wing root fairings, wheel pants, windscreen bow frame, cockpit coaming, just everywhere. It seems to have absolutely zero vertices whatsoever. Remarkable even by MSFS standards
    Yes, this Ryan ST-A compares very well with the high level of detail/quality seen in the modeling and texturing of the default MSFS aircraft, with the individual panels, rivets, screws and fasteners, all across the exterior, all modeled in 3D. I'm really pleased seeing products like this, which fully utilize what MSFS has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    You mean the single seater, right ?

Exactly, as far as i understand she was build as a tandem seat trainer, ST even means Sport Trainer. Take one seat away and the fuselage will look out of proportion. She looks like one of those pylon racers like this. I have always loved F1 racing but airplane racing never caused me any enthusiasm. Maybe because that sort of thing is just utterly impossible in my tiny Punch and Judy show here at the Northsea. I did have a pylon racing game many moons ago and loved it for a while. Still, i'll be waiting for the original two seater model. My girlfriend has canceled my allowance in the first place anyway. Just to be sure.
    I'm guessing that would be XAR Xtreme Air Racing.
    I still have my copy on the shelf but it doesn't play nicely with modern hardware.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Here are some detail walkaround shots. Every single panel/seam, rivet, screw and fastener is modeled in 3D. Also note the 3D-modeled rubber seals around some of the fairings. So many of these details would have only ever been done in the textures before MSFS. I cannot wait to see what A1R do next!

Members who have read this thread: 1