Ryan STA out of the blue... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan STA out of the blue...

Walkaround Continued...

Beautifully made!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Well, that's just utterly unbelievable, John. Could indeed have been a default MSFS model. Sjeezzz, i might still have to get it afterall !

Their next project might well be of Russian origin...

Thanks for the excellent close-up photo shoot ! Indeed a true wonder modelingwise !

P.S. does the soundsuite match the superb modeling/texturing ?...

The soundset is okay, but definitely not great. It would be nice if it were more throaty with more bass. All of the switches/levers do have sounds tied to them.

(Not my videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQGscS17Dho
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGW6gRPHGZA

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Hello Beautiful!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Well, that's just utterly unbelievable, John. Could indeed have been a default MSFS model. Sjeezzz, i might still have to get it afterall !...

P.S. does the soundsuite match the superb modeling/texturing ?...
    I noticed that when I stuck my head over the side the noise did not increase. I know you are in an open cockpit. However, I think there still should me more noise with my head in the slipstream.

P.S. I know I am being picky here.
    Last edited by jmig; May 30th, 2021 at 08:12. Reason: Add postscript
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Their next project might well be of Russian origin...
    I wouldn't mind buying a new version of their Yak-50, if remade for MSFS - I had a lot of fun with that one in FSX. What I still would absolutely love to see them model is the Yak-3 and/or Yak-11.

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I noticed that when I stuck my head over the side the noise did not increase. I know you are in an open cockpit. However, I think there still should me more noise with my head in the slipstream.

P.S. I know I am being picky here.
    you are not alone...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Asking for a soundset that at least matches the quality of the default aircraft isn't being picky imo, audio is a huge part of the sim experience and bad or inadequate sounds can really have a negative impact on the experience.

It's absolutely stunning. It's a "restored" model with modern instruments and radio. It'd be fun to see a period cockpit, but I'm not complaining given everything else and the reasonable price!

The only thing I've found that needs to be fixed is that the views are screwed up (looking left/right). Anyone tweaked those yet?

Should sound something like https://youtu.be/NdcUvOAmmnY

There’s a distinct whistling sound mixed in there, probably from those tension cables.

yes - and that's with the 125hp standard Menasco engine - the A1R model sports the uprated Menasco Pirate 150hp motor. And with those short, straight pipes she ought to make a ruckus..

Also WRT leaning out past the windscreen with the engine on, in addition to wind noise the engine should be louder, especially on leaning over the right side where those pipes are..

if we're going to pick the nits

** this discussion reminds me of the A2A sound module * Accufeel *for FSX whereby you could add these extra sounds, IE: open cockpit wind, engine and wire sounds -all on a slider mind you - along with enhanced float sounds, brake squeal, etc...all aircraft specific and retained as a 'saved state' for each aircraft
    Similar kit for MSFS would be a good idea, No?
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Hello Beautiful!
    I'm thinking it might have to be reproduced here at Hangar 18...in scale and detail...
    HERR RYAN S-T - Sig Manufacturing (sigmfg.com)
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    I'm thinking it might have to be reproduced here at Hangar 18...in scale and detail...
    HERR RYAN S-T - Sig Manufacturing (sigmfg.com)
    Make note, there is a cover over the passenger compartment. Looks like a future version could be added easily. Maybe, a new soundset too. It's a bit squirrely in flight model. Had to adjust controller sensitivity way low for this one. The texture work is wonderful. I'll leave the screenshot to the Bomber.

Not normally used to posting in other dev threads but I thought I'd add 2 cents on sound.

What a lot of people do not realise is that making sound packs for MSFS is extraordinarily difficult. It is also very time consuming. The process is wildy more complex than the old P3D/FSX sound authoring.

As a result some larger devs are buying in their sounds from (what I can see so far) is the ONLY commercial source for sound authoring for MSFS.
    The costs are extremely high and out of proportion to most people's budgets. I'm talking maybe three or four times that of the old P3D/FSX sounds from people like Turbine Sound Studios.

It could be that these guys have hit the same problem. If sales are good then maybe a commercial pack can then be added.

When there are more choices for sound authoring for MSFS out there, things will improve. But until then, smaller devs will be going with mixtures of legacy engine sound and PCK packages for cockpit sounds. Until more sound studios come on board to make more affordable sounds, you will be seeing a lot of legacy/PCK mix packages until they can be upgraded.

that's a terrific insight, Bazzar - 'sounds' likely too
    ...everybody is playing catch up with the new sim and the Wwise sound compiler - hopefully it wont be too long before more of you guys are able to really wring it out, or as you say, until there are more than one or two sources for ready made packs
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    Just bought it. Can't wait to fly it later today
    Wondering what your take is on this one Paul - you and Jim especially have quite a bit of material on the Ryan monoplanes
    enter..the Sandman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Not normally used to posting in other dev threads but I thought I'd add 2 cents on sound.

What a lot of people do not realise is that making sound packs for MSFS is extraordinarily difficult. It is also very time consuming. The process is wildy more complex than the old P3D/FSX sound authoring.

As a result some larger devs are buying in their sounds from (what I can see so far) is the ONLY commercial source for sound authoring for MSFS.
    The costs are extremely high and out of proportion to most people's budgets. I'm talking maybe three or four times that of the old P3D/FSX sounds from people like Turbine Sound Studios.

It could be that these guys have hit the same problem. If sales are good then maybe a commercial pack can then be added.

When there are more choices for sound authoring for MSFS out there, things will improve. But until then, smaller devs will be going with mixtures of legacy engine sound and PCK packages for cockpit sounds. Until more sound studios come on board to make more affordable sounds, you will be seeing a lot of legacy/PCK mix packages until they can be upgraded.
    I second heywooood. Thank you for the insight. I can live with that.

In a perfect world, however...I remember years ago flying a GAS Stearman in either FSX or P3D. I had once read in a book on flying the Stearman how pilots could judge the airspeed by the sound of the wires holding the wings together. Just for kicks, I found a landing spot over my shoulder and killed the engine. Sure enough, I could hear the wires singing as I dead sticked the plane to a landing. It was one of those "WOW" moments. I have been a fan of GAS aircraft ever since.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

John - that most recent Stearman package from GAS was a culmination of all those years of work they have done and the pinnacle of achievement for the team in my view. I was certainly very much impressed by it also.

on a side note and not to stray too far OT I had met a feller once who claimed to have been a duster. Said he had operated in the midwest for a few years and that they flew a Stearman and a couple of Cessna agwagons.
    He told us that when he used the Stearman he would have to pare the fuel weight (she was a beater in need of new wing spars) in order to carry enough dressing for the 'salad fields' so he would fly to the farthest field and work his way back toward the airstrip to the closest farm about a mile from the runway.

He said he liked to pop up off the last run of that field just as the engine sputtered, switch the petcock to the reserve and then bring it around to land. But there was this one time when the engine stayed quit...
    I don't recall whether he said the instruments were working but he did mention the sound of a dead stick Stearman making quite a ruckus.. made the runway he said but the wires were getting ominously quiet by then.

I liked to fly that GAS duster on a quarter tank and spray a few fields starting about 10 miles from the old Cottonwood strip that Alabeo had made for FSX - finish nearby and then deadstick the landing just to hear that sound.
    Someday it would be nice if a flight sim would dynamically adjust / reduce weight and balance as the fuel and or top dressing was used up - not sure if MSFS does this with fuel burn at this point in time but if it is or if it can be done then the same
    should be done for fire retardent, top dressing, or any slung payload too.

Hopefully when Glider support is added and the water weight is calculated that code will be universal to all aircraft payloads
    enter..the Sandman

Hello Beautiful!

New Ryan and Orbx 10m New Zeland mesh.

Blog Entries
    I once read a book by a guy in west Texas who was a duster. Interesting stories he had to tell. He flew Stearmans. Said that no two flew alike. They were all twisted and warped from abuse.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    They were all twisted and warped from abuse.
    Many of us resemble this remark!
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Members who have read this thread: 1