Ship effects

Thread: Ship effects

Ship effects

I've noticed some things while trying to improve the effects.The Battleships,Cruisers,Destroyers and Merchants burn better then the Carriers most times.Why do I think this happens?They have mid deck boxes while the Carriers don't.Most bomb hits by AI hit somewhere in the middle of the deck so on the other ships the effects are activated.The Carriers have no effects in the middle of the deck,everything is Port,Starboard,Forward or Aft.Some of the Carriers do get some smoke and fire but not like the other ships and I think this because all the effects are around where the ships is hit and not directly hit,so no full effects.If you hit the right place with your bomb you get the effects.A 1000 lb bomb on the AI will give more effects.

Since I don't know how to build ships I have no way of fixing this.I have gotten some Carriers effects to work very well at times but normally not.

Maybe Stuart has a solution.

Edit-I have found 4 carriers with mid deck boxes and the effects work on them.

TheBookie
    Last edited by TheBookie; May 23rd, 2021 at 20:19.

Additionally: Does anyone remember the settings for pitch and roll of the ships? The portion of the .cfg to modify is:

[Dynamics]
    pitch_wave_moment_scale = 1
    bank_wave_moment_scale = 1
    pitch_damp_moment_scale =1
    bank_damp_moment_scale = 4

The Stuart277 Lexington doesn't have this paragraph on the .cfg, but I can add it. I like for my carriers to be a bit more 'lively.'
    "De Oppresso Liber"

After some work to Lexington I got some smoke and fire effects to work.I put in 2 mid deck boxes and got the effects to work.Maybe I just got lucky.

TheBookie

I think this is what you're looking for:

Alternate the signs (+/- ) of the "pitch_wave_moment_scale = n" and the "bank_wave_moment_scale = n" of Ships that are typically in the same formation (e.g. to Essex/Bunker Hill) so that they are not synchronous.

i.e.
    pitch_wave_moment_scale = (-) (-) (+) (+)
    bank_wave_moment_scale = (-) (+) (-) (+)

Negative (-) "pitch_wave_moment_scale = n" is preferred, ...as it starts the motion w/ a bow up movement that is faster than the damped return motion, ...so use it on the ships you launch off most. Set "pitch" so that the stern is not awash, ...then set the value of the bank(n) to 2x pitch(n).

Set the CV's so the A/C don't slide off the flight-deck (yeh, ...ya wuss Air Force types, ...become NAVAL AVIATORS, ...or stick to yer two(2) mile long runways.)

As far as I can tell, ...the "damp" just reduces the entire dynamic, ...so just leave it on "1".

And yes, ...add [Dynamics] to the .cfg's of ALL your Ships.

e.g.

sha_mahan.mdl
    [Dynamics]
    pitch_wave_moment_scale = -4
    bank_wave_moment_scale = -8
    pitch_damp_moment_scale = 1
    bank_damp_moment_scale = 1

afvn_SanDiego.mdl
    [Dynamics]
    pitch_wave_moment_scale = 3
    bank_wave_moment_scale = 6

sha_essex_cv9.mdl
    [Dynamics]
    pitch_wave_moment_scale = -3
    bank_wave_moment_scale = 6

Thanks Cody! I will copy and save your response.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by TheBookie View Post
    I've noticed some things while trying to improve the effects.The Battleships,Cruisers,Destroyers and Merchants burn better then the Carriers most times.Why do I think this happens?They have mid deck boxes while the Carriers don't.Most bomb hits by AI hit somewhere in the middle of the deck so on the other ships the effects are activated.The Carriers have no effects in the middle of the deck,everything is Port,Starboard,Forward or Aft.Some of the Carriers do get some smoke and fire but not like the other ships and I think this because all the effects are around where the ships is hit and not directly hit,so no full effects.If you hit the right place with your bomb you get the effects.A 1000 lb bomb on the AI will give more effects.

Since I don't know how to build ships I have no way of fixing this.I have gotten some Carriers effects to work very well at times but normally not.

Maybe Stuart has a solution.

Edit-I have found 4 carriers with mid deck boxes and the effects work on them.

TheBookie
    Hi The Bookie

Try replacing the 'deck'effects' on Lexington with some of those on the battleships.
    The one below is one example from from the Colarado.
    effect.0=10,LIBRARY,,
    effect.1=30,LIBRARY,fx_ship_m,
    effect.2=50,LIBRARY,fx_ship_l,
    effect.3=70,LIBRARY,fx_fireball_l,
    effect.4=100,LIBRARY,fx_airexpl_l,
    effect.5=100,LIBRARY,fx_OilRig_l,

Cheers
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by stuart277 View Post
    Hi The Bookie

Try replacing the 'deck'effects' on Lexington with some of those on the battleships.
    The one below is one example from from the Colarado.
    effect.0=10,LIBRARY,,
    effect.1=30,LIBRARY,fx_ship_m,
    effect.2=50,LIBRARY,fx_ship_l,
    effect.3=70,LIBRARY,fx_fireball_l,
    effect.4=100,LIBRARY,fx_airexpl_l,
    effect.5=100,LIBRARY,fx_OilRig_l,

Cheers
    Stuart
    I tried that and still nothing.The only way I got the effects to work was making a Box = deck_mid.

TheBookie

Just fixed up the Shokaku a little bit and now have 3 fires on it after bomb hits. Usually only 2 fires but sometimes 3.1 pic is of Hiryu the other is Shokaku.

TheBookie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hiryu Hit.jpg   Shokaku hitt.jpg  
    Last edited by TheBookie; May 26th, 2021 at 09:29.

Putting this to the side for now,my CFS2 I was using for this crashed and I haven't been able to figure out why.It was working fine yesterday and I've added nothing new to it,but today it wouldn't work.

TheBookie

Doh!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Doh!
    It Happens.I still have some the work I did,so not a total loss.

TheBookie

Members who have read this thread: 0