Wozza' T-6

Thread: Wozza' T-6

Wozza' T-6

Quick question and any help would be greatly appreciated : Does anyone know if Warwick Carter's T-6 Texan can be converted to MSFS or has it been and I just can't find it?
    I'm afraid I have no idea how to try it (or even which program to use) myself but I miss that one very much from my old FSX installation..
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

The tool to use to convert the plane is MSFS legacy importer:

https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftf...lator/mods/117

I partially succeeded in importing wozza's T-6, but did have some issues with gauges and textures. Especially metallic textures can be problematic.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I have converted it also. It ports over fairly well. The metal surfaces look a little better if you delete all the specular textures. I find that it flies well in Modern flight model with no special control setups. Doesn't handle exactly like it does in FSX/P3D but not bad.

August

thanks for the replies. Sounds like it can be converted somewhat but maybe not well enough for me to make my usual ham fisted effort...
    I hope some 3rd party outfit will not wait too long before making a new one for this sim.
    enter..the Sandman

Some people enjoy flying the conversions. I find all the quirks and annoyances that every single one of them has had too distracting from the enjoyment of flying. I did a couple favorite planes myself, but I've decided to stick with native aircraft and hope we get more variety soon.

I'm wired the same way - I never had any ported planes in FSX either. If it doesn't work properly I'd rather wait for a native one that does.
    The only reason I ask about Warwick Carter's Texan is that I didn't see it in any legacy thread and was hoping maybe it hadn't been tried.
    It was one of the top five that I regularly flew in FSX - and I would LOVE to fly it in some weather in MSFS someday..
    enter..the Sandman

I would prefer all native aircraft too, but a lot of the "native" aircraft released for MSFS so far are just port-overs with a price tag, having the same issues as our amateur efforts. So I've ended up with quite a few ports, which I look forward to gradually replacing.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    I would prefer all native aircraft too, but a lot of the "native" aircraft released for MSFS so far are just port-overs with a price tag, having the same issues as our amateur efforts. So I've ended up with quite a few ports, which I look forward to gradually replacing.

August
    My only real sticking point is to have enough functionality to do cold starts, full shut-downs, and to have at least three of the six critical instruments working...
    I can't say I agree 100% with what you say about MSFS native releases so far - it is a mixed bag but many are pretty good, and an argument can be made that some of the shortcomings are more in the sim than in the airplanes..
    enter..the Sandman

On Wozza's T-6, every instrument on my panel works except for the radio compass.

I use Lorby's Axis And Ohs with legacy planes to implement those cockpit controls. You can't mouse click them in the VC, but you can map any function supported by MSFS to a key or controller button/axis, even ones that are not available through the controller profiles. Or, you can have them available as pop-up panels/gauges, whether it's clickable switch panels, radios, autopilot, or even a radio compass to replace the inop one on the panel. I've even been able to activate animations. I can open and close the rear canopy in the T-6, but I may have to write a script to run the front canopy.

Not as good as a native plane, of course. I would say with AAO and my own tweaks to the MDL and CFG files, I get to about 85% of the functionality of the warbirds we've seen so far. Good enough until we get a real, quality, from-scratch warbird for the game, which we haven't seen yet.

And I do agree that the unfinished and unstable nature of the sim and the SDK are primarily to blame, both for the quality of the products thus far and for the fact that there aren't more of them yet. We have some excellent developers out there who clearly are frustrated and not being able to strut their stuff, coming up on a year after release.

August

The CHT gauge doesn't work either, it's present on the panel but always reads zero.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Have you guys noticed that, ever since that last MSFS update forced us to clean all the obsolete entries out of our AIR files, the cyl head temp gauge now works properly on this plane? It actually never was completely inop, it just always displayed something close to the ambient air temp. Now it shows plausible values. The cyl head temp gauges generally didn't work on all the air cooled piston planes we imported, but it seems they all now do.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Have you guys noticed that, ever since that last MSFS update forced us to clean all the obsolete entries out of our AIR files, the cyl head temp gauge now works properly on this plane? It actually never was completely inop, it just always displayed something close to the ambient air temp. Now it shows plausible values. The cyl head temp gauges generally didn't work on all the air cooled piston planes we imported, but it seems they all now do.

August
    Interesting.
    Unfortunately it hasn't fixed the CHT on the GAS planes.
    It has mostly fixed the strange stalling behaviour on the affected ones though. I still can't do a loop in the Super Stearmans but at least they don't instantly stall when you pull the stick further than half way back now.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56