fatal error on fresh install

Thread: fatal error on fresh install

Schnitzel von Krumm

fatal error on fresh install

Well, it was an afternoon of mixed emotions here.

I got home early, found my OFF DVD in the mailbox and got right down to installing it. Unfortunately it won't run.

I get an error:

"OFFMan: Fatal Error Loading Menu! OFF will now exit! - Try un-installing and re-installing OFF!"

and when I dismiss that one, I get:

"OFFMan: A fatal non recoverable error has occurred starting up OFF - it is recommended that you un-install and re-install OFF!"

This is on a fresh install on Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I've tried reinstalling several times. I've tried installing in my user directory, just in case it was a Vista permissions issue. I've tried with and without patch 1.25. I've tried various compatibility modes.

I'm using a patched install of CFS3, off the Xplosiv two CD edition.

Anybody have any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

Polovski
    Hi Schnitzel von Krumm

Thanks for supporting us, probably best to send your system details and order details to our support email address on the FAQ page.

Not heard of that issue, could be a bad disk or some other error..
    plenty of people are running on Vista (me too) so should be fine.

Schnitzel von Krumm
    Info sent. Hopefully we can figure this out.

Thanks for the fast response.

cazna
    Schnitzel (Kiwi by chance ? via-a-vis v. low tum?),

Potentially dopey question time. Have you got the OFF Manager and cfs3.exe defined to run as the administrator? I saw similar issues with my install until I sorted of the "run as" configuration within Vista.

gimpyguy
    Did you fly a mission in CFS3 First ?

Now I'll sit down, it's above my job title . . . GOOD LUCK

Polovski
    You say you tried all the tweaks?
    But did you set the OFF Manager and cfs3.exe to run as admin?

Right click on the icon for OFF manager, properties, compatibility set it to run as admin.

Find the cfs3.exe in CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder and do the same.

Schnitzel von Krumm
    Yeah, I've set them both to run as administrator, but no luck. I still get the same errors.

I also tried installing on my wife's computer. It went a little further and I actually got it to run, but it has issues there too. There are error messages about missing skins and most of the textures outside of the cockpit seem to be missing.

It's a pretty old computer, though (3.0 P4 with a GF 6800) so it may just have needed more time. My five-year-old got home and wanted to play Luxor, though, so I had to give the computer up, given that he outranks me.

Schnitzel (Kiwi by chance ? via-a-vis v. low tum?)
    LOL, I never thought anyone would get the reference.

I'm Canadian actually, but the name is from the Hairy McLary books. If I fly as a British pilot, I may switch to Hercules Morse or Bottomley Potts.

Schnitzel von Krumm
    Just to add to the info here about what I've tried so far, I've completely uninstalled both OFF and CFS3 using Revo Uninstaller, which expunges all files and registry entries. I reinstalled fresh, and still get the same errors. For what it's worth the OFF mission builder will load, but I doubt that means anything as it seems to be unrelated to the main game. Splash.exe will also run, so I can see the cute doggy and hear the cat's meow. That's about it for me, though.

Seems I just can't have nice things.

Polovski
    OK best email us then Schnitzel with your details, and we'll try to work it out.
    BTW when you ran the installer, try right click, run as Administrator....

ta

Schnitzel von Krumm
    I sent my info three hours ago. See my post above at 17:24.

I tried the right click and run as adminstrator, but I'm not sure what the difference is between that and checking the check box in the compatibility tab.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas and my blood pressure is going up, so I'm going to pack it in.

Polovski
    Your email arrived 10 minutes ago, so I will respond now (1.56 am here lol). Don't give up!
    Certainly we can try to help.
    I works fine on Vista normally so something else is amiss.. chat to you in mail.

Schnitzel von Krumm
    Okay, I'll try not to be so mad. I'll try your suggestions from the email.

Also, I wasn't paying attention to your location. Sorry, I didn't realize you were in England and it's the middle of the night. Geez, get some sleep, eh?

I'm going to have a pint or two and think things through. Maybe there's something about my machine I'm missing.