FYI: DC Designs working on Stearman
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FYI: DC Designs working on Stearman

FYI: DC Designs working on Stearman

Ohhh, nice news:

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Plus bigger info:

VERY BIG FRIDAY UPDATE! ( Read the whole post, don’t just look at the pictures! ) 😊This past week has been the busiest, and the most successful, in the history of the company. It’s been hugely exciting to see the sheer scale of the take-up of the F-15 Eagles, and equally rewarding to hear from so many of you who are enjoying the aircraft, as well as seeing so many of them on-line flying in what seems at times like every country on the planet! Keeping up with the equally vast scale of communication has been challenging to say the least, and I hope that I haven’t missed any messages over the past week or so – I was not prepared for the sheer volume of communication to be honest, so it’s been tough to keep track of everything.
    With the first launch week out of the way, it’s upgrade time! With any new launch there are always a few bugs, and never more so than when launching on a brand-new platform. Feedback both here and from across the Internet highlighted issues in three main areas, listed here in order of importance:
    PERFORMANCE
    BUGS
    TEXTURES
    The performance is listed first because some users were seeing frame rates halve when in the cockpit. I’m delighted to say that I’ve solved that issue and the fix is included in the update. Bugs are next, and there are quite a few, although all of them small. The fix list is below and those of you who bought the Eagles from Just Flight should by now have received an e-mail about them. Finally, textures. This was something that I tried to put out as far and wide before launch as I could, that this was a port from FSX and Prepar3D and textures would be enhanced in upgrades. The Internet is a big place though and I was unprepared for the scale of the interest in the Eagles. The first update introduces the first texture upgrades for the virtual cockpit, with PBR textures gradually replacing the existing textures and new modelling being introduced.
    I'm also delighted to report that the Eagles will be getting a full professional custom sound set care of sound legends Sim Accoustics, which will be unveiled in February!
    The Eagles are proving hugely popular with their target market, and there are already many mods and new textures being released across the Internet for different colour schemes and altered flight model characteristics. I’m hugely enthusiastic for these sorts of mods, and many of them are being introduced into the main package in the next update, with the permission of the talented folks who have created them 😊
    What I’ve learned from this first launch is that it’s very hard to bring these packages to MSFS when there are four aircraft in them – learning and upgrading a single aircraft is tough enough, as developers are discovering, but four at once is enough to give anyone a coronary. As a result, I’m altering my launch schedule to be more manageable. The breakthrough with Mach 2 flight in MSFS also removes one of the main barriers preventing Concorde from appearing, therefore the release schedule for 2021 will be changed to the following;
    DC Designs Stearman ( didn’t know about that one, did you 😊 )
    DC Designs F-14D Tomcat
    DC Designs Concorde
    DC Designs P-47 Thunderbolt
    Thereafter I’ll attempt perhaps converting the FA-18 Super Hornets into MSFS. I’d just like to focus on single-aircraft packages for a little while as it will better allow me to work on building up the higher quality aircraft that MSFS is capable of rendering before circling back to the Super Hornets. I am also almost ready to unveil Blackbushe Airport, Hampshire, UK, for MSFS.
    I hope that this all makes sense! The F-15 Eagles Phase 1 update is to be released on Tuesday, as I need the extra two or three days to fix all the gauges in the Strike Eagles so the performance is sustained there too ( they have a lot of screens ). The F-15C is already at full performance now.
    That’s everything, hope you’re all enjoying the Eagles, Happy Friday! 😊
    BUG FIXES PHASE 1
    Gauge performance issue in virtual cockpit that was cutting frame rates in half: Fixed.
    Canopy Reflections in virtual cockpit too high: Reflective surface reduced
    Missing cameras in cockpit: New camera views added
    I and D models hidden in liveries: Models now all have separate folders
    Polygon shadowing on ailerons: Fixed
    Engine start issue on runway, gate, apron etc: Fixed
    Texture fall back issue: Fixed
    Canopy able to open in flight: Fixed
    Gear handle lever mouse-rect INOP: Fixed
    Aircraft restricted to Mach 1: Fixed, now Mach 2 + capable
    Lights "move" from positions: fixed
    LOD models appear at wrong times or too early: fixed
    Polygon shading on control column: fixed
    Landing gear lever INOP: Fixed
    TEXTURE UPGRADE PHASE 1
    First of several FSX and P3D platform textures replaced, PBR added to surfaces along with weathering
    Resolution of texture maps increased
    UV maps re-done to support higher resolution without performance degredation.
    MODELING UPGRADE PHASE 1
    Cockpit modeling enhanced, extra detail added to cockpit walls, canopy frame and canopy handle areas
    Polygon and Ngon shadowing issues fixed
    Rudder pedals re-modeled and textured
    KNOWN ISSUES
    TAA mode still tears all and any projected-gauge displays. This is a current limitation within MSFS, and at this time Asobo have not issued a fix.
    MFD Displays limited to what MSFS can reasonably reproduce, no FLIR or RADAR yet that were featured in Prepar3D but working on replacements.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FUTURE UPGRADES
    PHASE 2
    More cockpit modeling and texturing improvements, further bug fixes as required, implementation of extra features and animations
    Further performance optimisation wherever possible
    PHASE 3
    Final sound package, full kinetic and stereo 3D WWise custom F-15 Eagle sound package from Sim Accoustics
    Any required further bug fixes and refinements.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

nice looking PT-17

will there be a Navy livery in the pack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stearman pt-17.jpg  
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

That was fast guys!

Thanks for the post. Yes, I have a Stearman and she's already flying happily in the sim. Work is on-going. This is my first built-from-the-ground-up for MSFS aircraft, whereas the F-15s were of course ports. As per the copied Facebook post above, I'm switching to smaller, simpler products for a while as it's just been really tough to convert a four-aircraft package while also learning the new sim. It's going to be better for me to go for max-quality out of the gate now for a couple of projects as MSFS can do so much more than the FSX / P3D platforms could.

The Stearman will come with a few liveries, Paint Kit, manual etc, all the usuals from me, but will be just one variant for now ( PT-17 ) with custom sounds. Price will be in line with other MSFS single-aircraft releases, no more than $20.

I'm also switching to full-time development of the F-14 Tomcat once the F-15 upgrades are complete.

Concorde will follow in the summer, with the P-47 afterward. I don't think I want to commit to any more than that this year, and instead blow folk's socks off with quality. Seeing the kind of work that Aeroplane Heaven, IndiaFoxtEcho and Carenado are doing right now makes me want to do the same and not try to do more ports for the time being
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

That all sounds awesome! Though I for one would love to see your beautiful F/A-18 package ported...

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    I'm switching to smaller, simpler products for a while as it's just been really tough to convert a four-aircraft package while also learning the new sim. It's going to be better for me to go for max-quality out of the gate now for a couple of projects as MSFS can do so much more than the FSX / P3D platforms could.
    Good policy, Dean !

The Stearman looks great already ! As the virtual pilot/instructor i hope you'll give us the chance to fly with a passenger/student in the front seat. It is a nice opportunity to, visually, provide the feeling of not being alone up there for a change. Usually not possible with a normal side by side setup of seats. With an in-line set up just a part of an animated head in front of you will do the trick. Done well it may even urge the pilot/instructor to talk to his/her passenger/student in the front seat.

(tip: go for a helmet so you don't have to worry about animating hair fluttering in the wind.. ;-)

Very much looking forward to it, Dean, thanks much for choosing the Kaydet as your next project ! ( if there is any flightsim that begs for open cockpit biplanes it is MSFS, isn't it ! )

Cheers,
    Jan

The Stearman will come with a few liveries, Paint Kit, manual etc, all the usuals from me, but will be just one variant for now ( PT-17 ) with custom sounds. Price will be in line with other MSFS single-aircraft releases, no more than $20.
    What a surprise and good idea = more customers probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Good policy, Dean !

The Stearman looks great already ! As the virtual pilot/instructor i hope you'll give us the chance to fly with a passenger/student in the front seat. It is a nice opportunity to, visually, provide the feeling of not being alone up there for a change. Usually not possible with a normal side by side setup of seats.
    There will indeed be company in the cockpits!

Although there will be only one Stearman variant, it will come in two flavours - one will have the stock Asobo "civilian" pilots in the cockpit, while the other will have my custom WW2 pilot and student, one of whom has a nice big moustache! This is so re-painters can match their repaints to either the civilian ( modern ) or WW2 aircraft. Cockpits will remain the same though, VFR flying, simple radio set with WW2 appearance.

Each of these characters will disappear when you occupy their seats, so you never have to fly alone again
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

That was fast guys!

Thanks for the post. Yes, I have a Stearman and she's already flying happily in the sim. Work is on-going. This is my first built-from-the-ground-up for MSFS aircraft, whereas the F-15s were of course ports. As per the copied Facebook post above, I'm switching to smaller, simpler products for a while as it's just been really tough to convert a four-aircraft package while also learning the new sim. It's going to be better for me to go for max-quality out of the gate now for a couple of projects as MSFS can do so much more than the FSX / P3D platforms could.

Only one word to say: WOW!!

A couple more images of the MSFS PT-17 Stearman taken for my Friday Update on my FaceAche page. No PBR in place yet, these are all materials and basic textures - still to add the "magic"

Airport is Blackbushe ( EGLK ), Hampshire, UK, a new scenery to be released in March if all goes well

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (245).jpg   Screenshot (256).jpg  

It looks like a race between GAS and DC Design .
    Both looks nice .

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Both looks nice .
    Not really a race - GAS will have their own established customers keen to see their updated Stearman, while mine might appeal to newcomers more as it's built for MSFS from the ground up. Room for all, as they say

Amazing detail! A definite purchase for me.
    Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Love the detail on the cylinders!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Not really a race - GAS will have their own established customers keen to see their updated Stearman, while mine might appeal to newcomers more as it's built for MSFS from the ground up. Room for all, as they say
    I agree not a race at all. Can't have too many Stearman bipes!

There will indeed be company in the cockpits!

Although there will be only one Stearman variant, it will come in two flavours - one will have the stock Asobo "civilian" pilots in the cockpit, while the other will have my custom WW2 pilot and student, one of whom has a nice big moustache! This is so re-painters can match their repaints to either the civilian ( modern ) or WW2 aircraft. Cockpits will remain the same though, VFR flying, simple radio set with WW2 appearance.

Each of these characters will disappear when you occupy their seats, so you never have to fly alone again
    Sounds all good to me, Dean. Thanks !

Airport is Blackbushe ( EGLK ), Hampshire, UK, a new scenery to be released in March if all goes well
    Did the wheels of a real PT-17 ever touch a UK runway that you know of, Dean ?.. I can't seem to find any info about that. In the first place it was never used by the RAF, was it ? That doesn't mean that a fictive PT-17UK version in RAF colors won't be appreciated !

Looking forward to it !

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    I agree not a race at all. Can't have too many Stearman bipes!
    Correct !!

It seems the DC Designs PT-17 Stearman is already around the corner, isn't it?
    This is the most exciting news since the release of MSFS to me!!

(I only hope it won't be as difficult to take-off and impossible to land as the Carenado Waco...)

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Both looks nice .
    No race. We’ve shelved any further development of a/c for MSFS. Our reasons are explained in the Kinner thread.

Yes, the Stearman is very close to completion now, first launch should be the week after next ( Just Flight store ). All of the custom sounds by Sim Acoustics are in play, and it's being tested by my team as well as by a real-life Stearman pilot. There are a few modeling and texturing bugs to iron out and I'm just writing the manual, but things are looking really great and I'm keen to see the Stearman hit the market.

The one thing I'm having trouble with is having the crew visible in the cockpit ( you see the passsenger when you're in the back seat and vice versa ). It worked well until the models were updated to the proper MSFS format of separate interior and exterior, and now it's not working. Maybe that will be there by launch time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (352).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	608.7 KB 
ID:	82930
    Attachment 82929

..... but things are looking really great and I'm keen to see the Stearman hit the market.
    Me too ! Great news, Dean, and she's looking gorgeous !

Attachment 82929
    The one thing I'm having trouble with is having the crew visible in the cockpit ( you see the passsenger when you're in the back seat and vice versa ). It worked well until the models were updated to the proper MSFS format of separate interior and exterior, and now it's not working. Maybe that will be there by launch time.
    Attachment 82929
    Sorry to hear that, Dean, really hope you'll find a way to make that happen. Good luck with that !

Yes, the Stearman is very close to completion now, first launch should be the week after next ( Just Flight store ). All of the custom sounds by Sim Acoustics are in play, and it's being tested by my team as well as by a real-life Stearman pilot. There are a few modeling and texturing bugs to iron out and I'm just writing the manual, but things are looking really great and I'm keen to see the Stearman hit the market.The one thing I'm having trouble with is having the crew visible in the cockpit ( you see the passsenger when you're in the back seat and vice versa ). It worked well until the models were updated to the proper MSFS format of separate interior and exterior, and now it's not working. Maybe that will be there by launch time.Click image for larger version. 

ID:	82930Attachment 82929
    Is Andrew involved??? Please say YES!C

Yes, the Stearman is very close to completion now, first launch should be the week after next ( Just Flight store ). All of the custom sounds by Sim Acoustics are in play, and it's being tested by my team as well as by a real-life Stearman pilot. There are a few modeling and texturing bugs to iron out and I'm just writing the manual, but things are looking really great and I'm keen to see the Stearman hit the market.

Click image for larger version. 

ID:	82930
    Attachment 82929
    Wow I didn't expect this aircraft would come so soon, given all the work you've been showing for the F-15 updates recently !!

A small remark:
    On another forum, somebody noticed the shape of the "pillars" between top and bottom wings (sorry I don't know their name... struts, maybe?) seemed to have quite a rectangular, not so aerodynamic shape/section.
    Is it an effect of the screenshots/textures/reflections ?

Btw:

PT-17 Stearman will be around $14.99 (I see F-14 too with the same level "Testers are currently testing this final build before launch so that I can iron out any last glitches before sending the package: paint kit and manual are all written and included, and the price is confirmed at $14.99 and local equivalents.")

I am still in P3Dv5 but what I like from the user point is the MSFS prices which are much more attractive (especially after the pandemic, when more people are counting their expenses). I think this is a much better policy as it will ultimately attract more people to payware addons, including new ones. XBox users are definitely not used to paying $ 50 for "DLC" .

Blog Entries
    My Uncle would be proud of you guys.. He was a CFI in the USAAF during the war, till he died ferrying a C-47 to England..

Members who have read this thread: 0