FYI: DC Designs working on Stearman - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FYI: DC Designs working on Stearman

Icon25

Wow Pam - that is a great photo of your uncle. Classic aviator down to the casually capable expression on his face.
    Is that a Waco UPF-7 he is holding down? If so it might be the first I've seen with that vented engine cover installed.
    It's definitely a round engine and so leads me to wonder if you know anyone who will be modeling one for our favorite simulator anytime soon?
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

From DC: Stearman launch next week with Just Flight.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Some quick things I noticed in the preview video...

- The prop blade angle is backwards
    - The windscreen framing looks like it holds armored glass, it is so thick(!)
    - I've never seen horizontal stabilizers/elevators quite like those on a Stearman before (the design/shape looks off, and the elevators themselves should be full-length to the end/tip of the horizontals)
    - The wings look rather 'clunky', especially the trailing edges
    - Really strange looking hand holds on the lower wing tips - too big, and in the wrong location

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Wow Pam - that is a great photo of your uncle. Classic aviator down to the casually capable expression on his face.
    Is that a Waco UPF-7 he is holding down? If so it might be the first I've seen with that vented engine cover installed.
    It's definitely a round engine and so leads me to wonder if you know anyone who will be modeling one for our favorite simulator anytime soon?
    Welllll, Thats a good question and I dont rightly know.. It's whatever plane they gave him to teach student pilots in at the beginning of the war.. I'd always just assumed it was a stearman, but welll, On some of these old planes my judgement just isnt so good any more.. As for modeling?? Nooo, I dont know anyone doing it.. Wish I did..Maybe Carenado will port their Waco over to MSFS.. I own it for X-Plane and its a total love, but I dont know of any other versions..

Pam, Carenado has already released their Waco YMF-5 for MSFS - it is one of the most superb and extremely well-crafted addons released for MSFS to-date: https://www.carenado.com/sitecarenad...ymf5-msfs2020/

Granted, the Waco YMF-5 is of course a fully modern aircraft, based on an old design, which has been in manufacture since 1986.

It is most definitely a Waco UPF-7 in the photo of your uncle (very distinct design aspects, such as the cowling, windscreen framing, wing bracing, and the way in which the plumbing is routed). UPF-7 N32168 has the exact same vented cover over the engine as well: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7633136

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Some quick things I noticed in the preview video...

- The prop blade angle is backwards
    - The windscreen framing looks like it holds armored glass, it is so thick(!)
    - I've never seen horizontal stabilizers/elevators quite like those on a Stearman before (the design/shape looks off, and the elevators themselves should be full-length to the end/tip of the horizontals)
    - The wings look rather 'clunky', especially the trailing edges
    - Really strange looking hand holds on the lower wing tips - too big, and in the wrong location
    prop turns clockwise as well - watch from 11:04 of the video posted above...that is reversed.
    agree with your other observations as well..
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Blog Entries
    Pam, Carenado has already released their Waco YMF-5 for MSFS - it is one of the most superb and extremely well-crafted addons released for MSFS to-date: https://www.carenado.com/sitecarenad...ymf5-msfs2020/

Granted, the Waco YMF-5 is of course a fully modern aircraft, based on an old design, which has been in manufacture since 1986.

It is most definitely a Waco UPF-7 in the photo of your uncle (very distinct design aspects, such as the cowling, windscreen framing, wing bracing, and the way in which the plumbing is routed). UPF-7 N32168 has the exact same vented cover over the engine as well: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7633136
    Thanks John.. Bought it.. Cant paint it.. grrrr...

The Carenado Waco may certainly be extremely well-crafted, but it is also frustratingly difficult to take-off and impossible to land without ending up off the runway due to the over-implemented torque effect. And don't even consider touching the wheelbrakes on landing, or overturning is assured. Without an easy mode (forgive me the purists) I can't enjoy it anymore, so I have finally uninstalled it

I really hope the Stearman will be more forgiving.
    Last edited by Stearman; June 5th, 2021 at 02:19.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    The Carenado Waco may certainly be extremely well-crafted, but it is also frustratingly difficult to take-off and impossible to land without ending up off the runway due to the over-implemented torque effect. And don't even consider touching the wheelbrakes on landing, or overturning is assured. Without an easy mode (forgive me the purists) I can't enjoy it anymore, so I have finally uninstalled it

I really hope the Stearman will be more forgiving.
    I pretty much have had the same experience with the Waco. I find it frustrating to fly.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I pretty much have had the same experience with the Waco. I find it frustrating to fly.
    John-

I haven't tried it lately, is it any better after the last update (SU4)? It had some ground handling and flight surface fixes....

C

I don't understand the problems reported here about the Carenado Waco - that was the case with the first version of the product, but things have changed since then! I have the latest, updated version installed, and the sim of course fully updated, and I find it extremely easy on takeoff (perhaps too easy!). I did a flight in it just now, this morning, and I never once had to use any rudder at all on the takeoff roll (granted, the wind just happened to be straight down the runway at the time). On landing, I usually have to use just small movements of the rudder/dance the rudder to keep on top of it/keep it from starting to swing (it is a taildragger after all). That tailwheel lock is very effective!

I use CH Pro Pedals, set at -25 sensitivity, and the flight model set on Modern (as it should be for every MSFS-designed flight model).

Again, I reiterate how fantastic the Carenado Waco is - it should be one of the standards that all developers look to strive for to achieve or better (if they possibly can). In terms of classic types, the recently-released A1R Ryan ST-A is a perfect match for the same level of quality.

I don't understand the problems reported here about the Carenado Waco - that was the case with the first version of the product, but things have changed since then! I have the latest, updated version installed, and the sim of course fully updated, and I find it extremely easy on takeoff (perhaps too easy!). I did a flight in it just now, this morning, and I never once had to use any rudder at all on the takeoff roll (granted, the wind just happened to be straight down the runway at the time). On landing, I usually have to use just small movements of the rudder/dance the rudder to keep on top of it/keep it from starting to swing (it is a taildragger after all). That tailwheel lock is very effective!

I use CH Pro Pedals, set at -25 sensitivity, and the flight model set on Modern (as it should be for every MSFS-designed flight model).

Again, I reiterate how fantastic the Carenado Waco is - it should be one of the standards that all developers look to strive for to achieve or better (if they possibly can). In terms of classic types, the recently-released A1R Ryan ST-A is a perfect match for the same level of quality.
    John-

That's exactly the feedback I was looking for as I haven't touched it in months (it's uninstalled atm). Until Nigel brings his Tutor to MSFS, the Waco is a lovely place for watching the sun set in and around PJM, whilst sipping on a Sundowner

Ta!

C

I don't understand the problems reported here about the Carenado Waco - that was the case with the first version of the product, but things have changed since then!
    I have to agree - and I'm one of the people that's been most vocal in complaining about it. I went back to it last night after several weeks away from it and found it had become pretty straightforward to deal with. Like all MSFS aircraft right now, it gets squirmy on takeoff with any crosswind. But it seems as though sim update 4 has reduced (not eliminated) some of the excessive rudder sensitivity that's also common throughout the MSFS "fleet.' In addition, I reduced my rudder sensitivity even a bit more than I had in the past, and more than I thought was healthy, and that helped too. The Waco isn't perfect - it still has that tendency to depart suddenly to the left on the takeoff roll exactly at 40 mph no matter the power setting, which feels like a programmed behavior. But it's now possible to lift the tail as soon as it crosses that threshold and the rudder, with the right tuning, gives pretty decent directional control. Landings are quire easy and it's a pleasure in the air. Quickly becoming one of my favorite MSFS add-ons.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    John-

That's exactly the feedback I was looking for as I haven't touched it in months (it's uninstalled atm). Until Nigel brings his Tutor to MSFS, the Waco is a lovely place for watching the sun set in and around PJM, whilst sipping on a Sundowner

Ta!

C
    Well, I have to agree with Alan A. She has cleaned up her manners. Other than trying to run off the runway on take off, she was a well mannered girl in the air. I guess MSFS/Carenado have, partially at least, tamed the beast. I still like the Ryan better, however.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

The Stearman also swings to the left on the take-off roll - it's to do with MSFS rudder coding and affects all such aircraft really. What happens is that the rudder has almost no apparent effect below about 40 knots, and then suddenly is 100% effective, causing that awful swing to one side. If you're not ready for it, it's pretty much unrecoverable and quite annoying. I thought that MSFS had fixed this issue in a previous update, but it does seem to have returned.

That said, the Stearman is fairly docile on landing and I have found with taildraggers in MSFS that if you apply just the "right" amount of rudder on the roll, you can "catch" the airplane before it swings and they will then roll straight.

Comments noted about various things - windscreen thickness, wings, elevators etc - the aircraft has gone to the marketplace now but I can easily make alterations such as those for the first update to the aircraft. The prop spinning the wrong way is a UK thing, we build 'em the other way round for some reason. Again, an easy fix though

The Stearman launches next week with Just Flight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (314).png 
Views:	120 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	83066
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    The Stearman also swings to the left on the take-off roll... The prop spinning the wrong way is a UK thing, we build 'em the other way round for some reason.

Name:	Screenshot (314).png 
Views:	120 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	83066
    Like your roads. Every time I go there, just about the time I figure out the shifting backwards and driving on the wrong side of the road, my visit is too soon over, and I turn the rental back in.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Like your roads. Every time I go there, just about the time I figure out the shifting backwards and driving on the wrong side of the road, my visit is too soon over, and I turn the rental back in.
    For us continental Europeans going there in our own cars, things are a little different, because sooner or later, either before or after boarding the ferry or the Eurotunnel train, you arrive to a specific spot where you have to ACTUALLY drive your car across the road lanes in order to move to the "wrong side" (as you say)

Having done that a few times over the years, I think you get used to drive on the left fairly soon, even with the additional difficulty of doing that with a "normal" car (i.e. driver sitting on the left side). What I could never get used to is arriving to a roundabout and having to "attack" it on the left side...

BTW, in summer' 2019 I visited Japan... and they happen to drive on the left too!!

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    The Stearman also swings to the left on the take-off roll - it's to do with MSFS rudder coding and affects all such aircraft really. What happens is that the rudder has almost no apparent effect below about 40 knots, and then suddenly is 100% effective, causing that awful swing to one side. If you're not ready for it, it's pretty much unrecoverable and quite annoying. I thought that MSFS had fixed this issue in a previous update, but it does seem to have returned.
    The way you say it sounds like that's a "glitch" in MSFS (or an "issue that needs to be fixed" anyway), and I agree.

Consequently, I understand I can't expect the Stearman (or any other eventual taildragger) to be more forgiving on the rudder than the Waco, but thanks to this thread (thanks guys for the reminder) I have remembered I can set MSFS to a flight model other than Modern, so (fortunately) there is room for me to enjoy the Stearman, as I wholeheartedly wish for obvious reasons.

Thanks for making it possible, best regards.

Blog Entries

I can certainly understand the frustrations. Having just bought it, I can only assume I have the 1.1 version with the improved ground handling. However, using a VKB Gunfighter stick, with a warthog throttle and all sensitivities and realities set to max as well as hard mode ( standard development settings for me ) the plane remains incredibly frustrating to take off and land. With all the config files locked inside a .fsarchive file and inaccessible it becomes completely un-modifiable. Even aircraft.cfg is locked making paintin it impossible and making the aircraft not with the money I paid for it.
    I also have the Stearman. It's a dream in comparison. Theres no need for me to fiddle with its files or make changes to anything. Dean and his crew have done a very good job of it and even though it may not be up to the same visual level as Carenado, it's a damned fine plane to look at and fly, and oh yeah, paint ..

It's like we're all using two different sims sometimes. As I mentioned before, I have the flight model set at modern, as it is supposed to - if using legacy mode, you're going to have issues flying a flight model designed for MSFS. I find the Carenado Waco extremely easy to control on takeoff (usually only needing the slightest rudder pressure once the airspeed gets to about 50 mph), and it is not much more difficult on landing. Like many classics and warbirds, you're going to have more trouble if you throw a crosswind in, and they all have their limits (for some types, if there is more than a 10 kt crosswind, the airplane stays in the hangar, and others even less than that). I have more trouble with the recently released A1R Ryan ST-A on takeoff than I do with the Carenado Waco, but that one too isn't that hard (I'm not all over the runway like some of the videos I've seen on Youtube). With MSFS, just like DCS, unless you have rudder pedals that travel full-length as in an actual aircraft, or you have a full-length control stick mounted on the floor, or a full-travel yoke, the sensitivity settings should always be dialed back. I use a CH Products Fighter Stick and CH Products Pro Pedals, and all of the control axis are set at -25 sensitivity, which feels right (aircraft handle/feel like I am used to with FSX/P3D on full sensitivity). I have always had to the do the same for DCS as well, and it is really a requirement with that sim as well, in order to have correct/proper feel/control using standard PC controllers.

The A1R ST-A takeoff is abysmal on my setup it lunges completely off track and is unrecoverable, it seems to have no inertia in the air either making it very disappointing it feels like you’re trying to pilot a feather. The Caudron C430 Rafale on the other hand is a joy to fly, a good mix of controllability and challenge. I’m really hoping the Stearman leans towards the Caudron handling side of things.

Blog Entries
    I dont think anyone has anything to worry about with the Stearman. Just give Dean a chance to finish it and youll be having a great time in no time at all..

The Stearman is a lovely bird. Over Chicago...

Name:	Screenshot (358).png 
Views:	4 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	83132 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (360).png 
Views:	4 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	83133

Blog Entries
    It's like we're all using two different sims sometimes. As I mentioned before, I have the flight model set at modern, as it is supposed to - if using legacy mode, you're going to have issues flying a flight model designed for MSFS. I find the Carenado Waco extremely easy to control on takeoff (usually only needing the slightest rudder pressure once the airspeed gets to about 50 mph), and it is not much more difficult on landing. Like many classics and warbirds, you're going to have more trouble if you throw a crosswind in, and they all have their limits (for some types, if there is more than a 10 kt crosswind, the airplane stays in the hangar, and others even less than that). I have more trouble with the recently released A1R Ryan ST-A on takeoff than I do with the Carenado Waco, but that one too isn't that hard (I'm not all over the runway like some of the videos I've seen on Youtube). With MSFS, just like DCS, unless you have rudder pedals that travel full-length as in an actual aircraft, or you have a full-length control stick mounted on the floor, or a full-travel yoke, the sensitivity settings should always be dialed back. I use a CH Products Fighter Stick and CH Products Pro Pedals, and all of the control axis are set at -25 sensitivity, which feels right (aircraft handle/feel like I am used to with FSX/P3D on full sensitivity). I have always had to the do the same for DCS as well, and it is really a requirement with that sim as well, in order to have correct/proper feel/control using standard PC controllers.

In a sense John, we are using two sims right now. Sim Update 4 made some changes to the games flight engine that are causing problems across the board. My team and I are curently compiling data and collating evidence to present to Asobo showing what is happening. No one is blaming anyone for this by the way and regardless of my anger, I'd prefer to keep it that way, because all the anger in the world will not put us back in business again..

So what am I talking about?? Sounds crazy doesnt it?? Allow me to show you some of what we have found so far.. we;ll start with an old photo I took if the dragon Rapide. It was taken in february or march, I;m not certain..

Here we see the Rapide in its adopted element. It rests low in the water and rides gently on the waves..

Now lets fast foward to three days ago.

This is the same Model and the same exact flight model. Yet?

I guarantee the second aircraft is interacting with the world as it always did, but the mathematical model representing the world was raised, or perhaps made bigger as this is a global issue.

This has caused all sorts of bizaar issues across the entire community, from claims that the sim aircraft feel more "arcadey" to this new squirelliness being seen on several aircraft, to some aircraft actually flying right for the first time..

There is also reduced drag/friction on water, and an aircraft landing on water will not stop.

Then theres this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQGwfPPedaA&t=238s

It wont turn, it wont slow down and it wont stop. The plane believes it is standing still, the sim believes it is scooting across the water at over 20 MPH ( which is evident by the yawing movements from the rudder )..

Please! SOH has been my home for 16 years. I love and respect every one of you. Your my family, and I know that that is mutual as well, so I'm asking: before we become critical of any more aircraft, whether that aircraft is the Waco or the Cardboard Jet , please give my team and I a chance to unravel this situation and present it back to Asobo in a bid for them to repair it.

Pam Brooker
    Jade Island Flight Test Center..

Members who have read this thread: 0