OT: Der Rote Baron Movie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Der Rote Baron Movie

Mk2

OT: Der Rote Baron Movie

I just finished seeing the DVD (not available in US yet) 5 minutes ago and well...I was amazed.

Setting aside any historical inaccuracy( and there is plenty conerning the Baron charcater himself) , . I really enjoyed it.

I was entertained from the beginning to the end.

The combat scenes were breath taking. The Albatros', DR1s , Sopwiths , SE5As (the latter being inserted in the movie at a less than historical date but the other aircraft where fairly good with dates of their introductions etc) where phenomenally rendered, some of the best CG graphics I have seen to date in ANY movie..

My advice to anyone on this forum is to run out and find it and see it. Forget historical accuracy, this is a fictitious Manfred but the planes flying in formation alone are worth the price of admission.

I also thought that some of the scenes were well acted and the written dialogue for the actors was very good in some parts.
    One last thing...the musical score top notch.
    here is a clip

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=r-58SS77U84

Cpre5
    I was just trying to find that video today, where did you?

Mk2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpre5 View Post
    I was just trying to find that video today, where did you?

A friend let me borrow it but I am waiting for the US release and I will buy it. I believe he downloaded it from somewhere on his computer initially.

It was just great.

rabu
    Is it true that the European version will play on a USA computer DVD/CD, but not a TV DVD player?

Mk2
    Quote Originally Posted by rabu View Post
    Is it true that the European version will play on a USA computer DVD/CD, but not a TV DVD player?

No idea, I saw it on a copy on a DVR disc. I did not feel bad about doing that since I anxiously await to purchase it as soon as I am able to (I am very ANTI PIRATING just FYI ).

Redwolf
    Each to their own I guess and funny you mention this. I saw it two nights ago (courtesy of my movie freak brother-in-law) and was terribly disappointed. Acting was very subpar, imho, and there really weren't many dogfight scenes in the movie at all - only 4, maybe 5...and considering it was about the Richthoffen, I would have expected a lot more. Indeed, if you've seen that action trailer that was floating around...well, then you've seen a good portion of the dog fighting in the movie.

It was nice to see the WWI aircraft, and there were some interesting scenes, and perhaps maybe I was expecting a lot more, but on a whole I'd have to give it a thumbs down.

Dej
    I'm with Redwolf I have to say. I know that a wider audience would want more interest than just episodes of dogfighting WWI aircraft but there were nevertheless too few to illustrate the war career of an ace with 80 kills.

Also, I saw no reason why historical accuracy over the aircraft themselves was so casually tossed aside. It's CGI. If one can make an SE5 one can make a DH2, so that Lanoe Hawker can die in the aircraft he did die in rather than an SE5... with which he'd have probably whupped MvR's ass.

Geier
    I thought it was a damn sight better than I feared it would be. Beautiful flying cgi but I almost loved the aerodrome shots more, where real objects of wood and canvas were lined up and beautifully painted.

Despite that they made Manfred into something he probably wasn't I thought the guy who played him had enough "it" to carry the movie. Sadly, Lothar was both poorly written and poorly acted. Voss was cool, even if he wasn't very Voss. The inaccuracies, and there were plenty of those, felt OK to me in the circumstances. They were Biggles-storytelling in the sense that the events didn't happen to MvR but they did happen to someone else, which I thought was fine. I really liked Kurt Wolff and his nightcap too.

It could have been a lot, lot, worse. And money-gods willing, there will be an extended DVD version with more flying and shooting! The biggest Hollywoodization (sure, it's a word) is the love story between Manfred and the nurse which takes much too much time from what we want to see.

As a boy hero-movie it's got a high mark from me. If you can't appreciate the decision to turn von Richthofen's life into that I suppose you're better off not watching it at all.

As a side note, I mentally turned Hawker's plane into a Bristol Fighter and it worked for me.

Some 20 - 25 pages back, somewere was a thread called "Der Rote Baron" or "The Red Baron" (don't remember).
    There, you can see the whole movie in English (two parts).

UK_Widowmaker
    Seen it too.. And I also thought it was pants!...Flyboys repeated!

Ade Edmundson in Black Adder was more convincing as MvR!..The CGI aircraft appeared to fly at a speed and maneuaverability that would put an F-16 to shame, though I am glad you enjoyed it MK2...each to their own:ernae:

Todt Von Oben
    Quote Originally Posted by Olham54 View Post
    Some 20 - 25 pages back, somewere was a thread called "Der Rote Baron" or "The Red Baron" (don't remember).
    There, you can see the whole movie in English (two parts).
    I'm looking without success. Really want to see it. Will someone post the link please?

Thanks in advance.

Prost! :ernae:

TvO

Siggi
    I watched a DL version of it. The dogfights were very pretty, as were the planes themselves, but so far as the story/plot was concerned it was total crap. The amount of money they spent they had a chance to do a truly extraordinary piece of work, but chose instead to reduce MvR and his entire milieu to a cartoon caricature.

Well worth the watch though.

Todt Von Oben
    Quote Originally Posted by Todt Von Oben View Post
    I'm looking without success. Really want to see it. Will someone post the link please?

Thanks in advance.

TvO
    Looked through all of the posts and couldn't find it. Have I just been sent on the OFF/BHAH equivalent of a snipe hunt? If so, good one! Ya got me!

Still, if there's a thread where I can see the movie in two parts, I SURE would appreciate someone showing me where it is.

TvO

womenfly2

"REMOVED"

Cheers,
    WF2

Todt Von Oben
    Many thanks, Olham and Siggi! I'm out here on a rock in the mid-Pacific and have been trying to see this movie for some time now.

THANK YOU!!

TvO

Todt Von Oben
    Quote Originally Posted by womenfly2 View Post
    Here .... http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=red+baron&cat=0
    16th one down from top is good.

Great movie, not historical at all, take it for what it is and enjoy.

Cheers,
    WF2
    Be advised: when I went to this page my computer was hit by four viruses. I navigated away from the automatic virus fixes that popped up because I did not know where they came from. After closing the page, my own virus protection kicked in and removed the viruses.

UK_Widowmaker
    Mininova?..Aaargh!...hotbed of nasties!!

Siggi
    Quote Originally Posted by UK_Widowmaker View Post
    Yeah, and most of them put there by the industry.

Axgrinder
    My cousin in Germany sent me a copy awhile back. I enjoyed the 8.5 total minutes of air combat. The rest was non-historical fluff. Ranks in the same vein as Flyboys.

Mk2
    I enjoyed all the aerodrome scenes which were much longer than 8.5 minutes. The planes on the ground were fanatstic as well and again, a lot longer than 8.5 minutes.

It was never billed as a historical documentary. It's a good movie in my opinion but I am not hung up in seeing a documentary and understand it's a movie. Therefore I really enjoyed it.

I actually enjoyed the story, which if you just insert another name other than manfred , would have been fairly good.

UK_Widowmaker
    :ernae:

Axgrinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2 View Post
    I enjoyed all the aerodrome scenes which were much longer than 8.5 minutes. The planes on the ground were fanatstic as well and again, a lot longer than 8.5 minutes.

It was never billed as a historical documentary. It's a good movie in my opinion but I am not hung up in seeing a documentary and understand it's a movie. Therefore I really enjoyed it.

I actually enjoyed the story, which if you just insert another name other than manfred , would have been fairly good.
    Time the combat scenes. 8.5 minutes.

I wasn't looking for a documentary per say. I was looking for more of a somewhat correct biography with lots more combat.

But I'm glad you liked it. I liked it for what it was I guess.

ftgc
    OMG!! I just watched the whole thing (thanks for the link) That movie is what we used to call in the Navy a 5 finger gagger. That had to be the worst yet WWI movie, the Back Street Boys do 1917. Gawd awful storyline, almost no fight scenes and the one's there were the planes are flitting around like X-wings. Signifcant moments of the time completely glossed over. Voss's fight, probably the most famous air battle of WWI nothing more than a foot note. Richtofen's fight with Hawker, the one that really made his name for him a ten second scene of the crash never mind it's the wrong plane.

Thanks again for posting those links, if not for them I would have gone out and wasted money on the DVD whenever it gets released. You know it says a lot about the film industry and about the average movie goer I guess, when the best WWI movie is 40 years old.

Scott

Todt Von Oben
    Quote Originally Posted by UK_Widowmaker View Post
    Apparently. As soon as I got there, popups started showing up faster than AA on the way to an observation balloon. Scarey red things that say "Your computer is infected" and listing four viruses; at least one Trojan Horse.

Then, Windows-looking popups supposedly containing "fixes" for the viruses start arriving in rapid succession. You have a choice of "running" or "downloading" these fixes.

But they are from an unknown source and I've heard that's one way viruses actually do get into your computer.

So I cancelled out of that window and my onboard virus protection kicked in. Told me it had taken care of a threat to my computer.

Afterwards, I ran a complete system scan and it detected eight threats still inexistence: all tracking cookies, and one pretty bad one that, when you log onto a particular site you wanted to see, is set up to direct you to another site altogether. Perhaps that's where all that viral FLAK came from?

Anyway, it's gone now, but beware lads!

:focus: I've watched the first half of The Red Baron on the two-part site Siggi directed me to. Works fine. No viruses. And though I see what some mean about acting shortcomings and such, I am thoroughly enjoying the movie. Will watch the second half now.

Thanks again!

TvO

Members who have read this thread: 0