That Dang Gas Attack, cost me money

Thread: That Dang Gas Attack, cost me money

Hybrid View

gimpyguy

That Dang Gas Attack, cost me money

Due to that gas attack ( or so I tell that guy in my shaving mirror ), I went to I BUY Power and got a starter rig, I can actually fit my hands into, and it fits my computer desk, and is in XP

I figure the way they make their money, is the crazy prices of stuff

Example a 9800GT is +$380. . Tiger Direct will sell the card for $150

Only place I got taken to the cleaners was the CPU

The Q6600@2.4 just won't do anymore, it might be fine for the Dwarfs that built it, not me

I know it wasn't needed but I got a E8600 w/ extra cooling

Siggi
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyguy View Post
    Due to that gas attack ( or so I tell that guy in my shaving mirror ), I went to I BUY Power and got a starter rig, I can actually fit my hands into, and it fits my computer desk, and is in XP

The Q6600@2.4 just won't do anymore, it might be fine for the Dwarfs that built it, not me

The E8400 would have done you just as well, and cost a lot less. Did you miss all the posts about it or were they just out of stock? See if you can't take it back for a refund and get the 8400 instead.

Gousgounis
    Go for an 8400 or an 8500 and O/C it.

Dirk98
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyguy View Post

Gympy, you did the right thing. E8600 is the FASTEST dual-core available, and not that much expensive anymore. But it is a monster in overclocking today. To open up its potential you need to overclock it carefully (good fan-cooler and fast brandname DDR2). Let me know if problems, pls note this thread and reference to IntelBurnTest:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...124#post129124

You can't overclock E8400 or E8500 as high as E8600 and keep the flow smooth. I can assure you that extra 200-300Mhz can make difference, in older-code games like SH3, BoB2, IL-2, Black Shark, OFF3 etc. Congratulations.

Dirk.

PS: there's a guy coolaler who broke the world record with this processor @ 6146,9 Mhz, for what it matters.

Siggi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk98 View Post
    Gympy, you did the right thing. E8600 is the FASTEST dual-core available, and not that much expensive anymore. But it is monster in overclocking today. To open up its potential you need to overclock it carefully (fan-cooler and fast brandname DDR2). Let me know if problems, pls note this thread:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...124#post129124

You can't overclock E8400 or E8500 as high as E8600 and keep the flow smooth. I can assure you that extra 200-300Mhz can make difference, in older-code games like SH3, BoB2, Black Shark, OFF3 etc. Congratulations.

Dirk.

PS: there's a guy coolaler who broke the world record with this processor @ 6146,9 Mhz for what it matters.
    The 8600 is around £100 more than the 8400 here in the UK. And the 8400 can do 4ghz with ease. Is more than 4ghz needed for any game currently available? Certainly not for OFF. And won't be for RoF or any other game on the horizon I think.

The chap who broke the world record, did he play any games at 6ghz, or just grab a screenie before his system BSOD'd?

There are two types of overclockers, those who want to use it in the real world and those who love a good screenie.

Dirk98
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggi View Post
    The 8600 is around £100 more than the 8400 here in the UK. And the 8400 can do 4ghz with ease. Is more than 4ghz needed for any game currently available? Certainly not for OFF. And won't be for RoF or any other game on the horizon I think.
    4.3 Ghz is better, visibly better than 4.0 Ghz in OFF3. You can create a few test situations and see. In Il-2 better as well. But for that you'll need about $150 more if you can afford it. In RoF- moot point, it may come out multithreaded. And if you get faster RAM you can easily go to 4.5Ghz with no problem with E8600.

Gympy you'll test it yourself, it's easy to check and see, lol. I myself upgraded from E8400 to E8600.

Siggi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk98 View Post
    4.3 Ghz is better, visibly better than 4.0 Ghz in OFF3. You can create a few test situations and see. In Il-2 better as well. In RoF- moot point, it can be multithreaded. And if you get faster RAM you can easily go to 4.5Ghz with no problem.

Gympy you'll test it yourself, it's easy to check and see, lol. I myself upgraded from E8400 to E8600.
    What are the specific differences in OFF between 4ghz and 4.3ghz? This sounds seriously interesting.

Dirk98
    Higher FPS (~8-10), less TIR triangles.

Dirk98
    Lol, when GG wakes up he'll learn he has become the champion of the speed with his mega-monster brand new E8600.

Flame On!
    When I was looking to buy a new CPU, it came down to the three choices mentioned here, the E8400, 8500, or 8600. At the time the E8400 was $169US, and the E8500 was $189US, but the E8600 was $269. $20 for an extra .16Ghz was minimal but the $80 for an extra .16Ghz was a bit too much so I went with the E8500 and have been a happy camper ever since. I don't really care about astronomical fps because IMO it's not necessary. I keep my fps capped at 30. The game looks great (54451), runs great with that setting and no stutter etc.

CJ
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX nForce 680i SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    OCZ Platinum Revision 2 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800
    EVGANvidiaGeForce8800GTX768MbGDDR

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card