That Dang Gas Attack, cost me money - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Dang Gas Attack, cost me money

rabu
    Just curious, how does the mother board relate to all this.. what are the restrictions?
    I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R (click) LGA775, North Bridge P45 Exp with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHZ and 2GB DDR2 800 Patriot Extreme RAM. My video is an EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

I'm getting very smooth game fps, mostly in the 50-60 range with the two scenery slidders on 3, clouds on 4 and the plane and effects on 5

I wouild like to be able to turn the scenery up higher.. What are the possibilities with this board and it's restrictions?

Would I be better off upping my memory to 4GB, updateing my CPU, or my Video card, or try over clocking? What would have the most effect?

Thanks,

Siggi
    Quote Originally Posted by rabu View Post
    Just curious, how does the mother board relate to all this.. what are the restrictions?
    I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R (click) LGA775, North Bridge P45 Exp with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHZ and 2GB DDR2 800 Patriot Extreme RAM. My video is an EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

I'm getting very smooth game fps, mostly in the 50-60 range with the two scenery slidders on 3, clouds on 4 and the plane and effects on 5

I wouild like to be able to turn the scenery up higher.. What are the possibilities with this board and it's restrictions?

Would I be better off upping my memory to 4GB, updateing my CPU, or my Video card, or try over clocking? What would have the most effect?

Thanks,
    I saw a huge improvement going from a 3ghz chip to a 4ghz one. My frames were going down the pan whenever a/c were spawning somewhere, or doing stuff. Not sure what exactly, but it seemed to be tied to AI going from tootling to doing stuff. I attacked a group of 2-seaters and my FPS went from 30-ish to 5-ish soon as I got close to them and the bullets started flying. I've not had anything like that happen since I went to a 4ghz chip.

Your mobo for OC:

"We cracked out the usual Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 and Core 2 Duo E8500 and started to whip up the front side bus. We managed to get a healthy but quite average 465MHz on the quad core, but even after tweaking the GTL reference voltages and clock skews just couldn't quite get it perfectly stable. We suspect our tame PLL and termination voltages of 1.65V and 1.30V were the problem and increasing these would have helped, but don't quite fancy killing the CPU just yet.

We tried with the dual core E8500 next and got the system to boot all the way up at 530MHz but had to dial it right back to 490-495MHz FSB before it would actually boot Windows and achieve stability. We'd have expected at least 500MHz FSB and we know this CPU will do 535MHz stable at least. Even when we pushed the PLL, termination voltages and tried to play with the clock skews (we played around with varying combinations between 0-250PS on the MCH and CPU) but it still didn't like the 500MHz threshold and would reset itself during POST.

Pushing extra voltage through the P45 northbridge on its small heatsink did see the temperature hit around mid-40s with an 80mm fan over the top which is really not that bad, although some might want to consider use of a bigger heatsink.

One thing to note is that Gigabyte's overclock-failure recovery system is again, really quite good. Sometimes the board will cycle itself turning on and off one or two times before resetting itself. It's better than previous Gigabyte boards where it would do this dance several times before coming up with something it likes."

Your CPU has a x9 multiplier, so 444mhz (1780mhz FSB) OC would give you 4ghz, which your mobo will do easily. From a quick look on the net that chip will do around 3.5ghz max safely.

rabu
    Thanks, Siggi, very imformative. :kiss: