KBT update to L-188? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KBT update to L-188?

Wombat and others - there is a texture mod available for the L188 done for FSX by Paul Craig. He re-did all the common textures with a new set of DDS files it is then just a matter of cleaning out some of the duplicates that appear in a lot of textures by various painters to clean up the shadowing etc. A little trial and error for individual repaints but it cures a lot of the dirty looking texture problems and provides you with a much cleaner paint job as well. I found some of bump and spec textures once deleted actually helped as well. A lot of the paint jobs about such as the Varig Electra and the Ansett ANA paint, also included various VC textures for the night lighting, there are quite a few and you can get quite nice night lighting from some of them, I think the TAA HD gives me the nearest real night VC look (compared to a video of a Reeve Aleutian flight I found on the net) better than the shocking pink of the original KBT. Fabio Cabral paints have the best aluminium work for engines etc.

I also have a different sound package (The P-3 one is good) and work on the gauges VC goes on slowly. I am away from my PC for next few weeks but will post what I think are all the essential files and subsequent mods that get this one running quite well in P3DV5. The VC and guages, switches etc is another issue. So far we have got the panel more authentic (not many changes actually) and the overhead starter switch and button sorted. Lot more to be done, the electrics- autopilot guage interface is a challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    I also have a different sound package (The P-3 one is good) and work on the gauges VC goes on slowly. I am away from my PC for next few weeks but will post what I think are all the essential files and subsequent mods that get this one running quite well in P3DV5. The VC and guages, switches etc is another issue. So far we have got the panel more authentic (not many changes actually) and the overhead starter switch and button sorted. Lot more to be done, the electrics- autopilot guage interface is a challenge!

So are all these mods moot for P3D 4.5?

GreyEagle - To be honest, I guess so. We (those involved) are all now using P3dV5.1.12 lets call it V5. I am unclear as to why some stuff that worked fine in V 4.5 does not in V5.1. I have that issue with two Caranedo models what happens there is gauges and textures fail to show making the models useless, why I cannot say. I have thought about asking others why this is the case but the best I can come up with is that some older files say gauges or scripts were done using C++ and that sort of programming definitely does not work in P3DV5 and on because of the xml-html approach which to my mind is actually more elegantly simple once you get your head around it. As for texturing and PBR that I am complete ignoramus about in terms of how to, I get what is going on and DX12, Ray Tracing etc but I can only work with simple painting and textures - Jan Kees or Gordon I am not!

So we are basically working to the proven template that works and has worked fine with some other models (JBK for example), that is conversion to FSX Native (Interior and Exterior models) and working through the VC panel and gauges to eliminate non 64 bit compliant stuff. Tidying all this up to simplify it. There will probably be some changes to the aircraft config and air files as well as a result. So far the FSX native version does work without any significant hiccups but there is a lot of shall we say KBT quirkiness to the way some things were done which really have you scratch your head some days and like the old MS2004 pop up panels frankly do not do it for me at all. I will try and list what I regard as the mandatory FSX files, installation and mods later today so people can at least play over Xmas.

I will try and list what I regard as the mandatory FSX files, installation and mods later today so people can at least play over Xmas.
    That’s great news...Thanks!

Kent

Electra Files and Downloads

These are IMHO the correct files to avoid getting the old MS2004/FSX versions. They are all for FSX only and when put together provide a workable model for P3D.

1. l-188_electra_x.zip - this gives the Pass and Cargo Version for FSX
    2. FSX FS KBT L188 Electra Fix V1 - (fskbt_l188_fix.zip) This is the first fix from KBT.
    3. l188_update_and_fix2.zip - this is the second fix from KBT.
    Install in that order 1-3 and allow overwrites for relevant files and packages. This then gives you the correct FSX version which works in P3D.

4. Paul Craig's - " kbtl188ddstextures,zip" . This package is all the shared textures for the common texture folder of the electra which are all converted into dds format.
    5. Paul Strogen's panel mods, "ps188pan.zip " which provides the panel originally designed for the Mike Stone Electra but which KBT actually used some or a lot of in their issue of the L188. Note this mod provides a reconfigured aircraft config file and air file for the L188 - DO NOT USE THESE ONLY THE PANEL as these configuration files are for the Mike Stone Electra not the KBT. The panel can be unpacked and dropped into the PASS and CARGO folders and has the handy folder name - panel.ps . You just have to alter the relevant aircraft config file lines for this panel to use it. There are some minor issues with this panel but it is more correct and faithful to the L-188 and works ok with the KBT Electra in VC mode.

Now there is a mod which was addressed here at SOH but escapes a lot of peoples attention is the issues of the starters. There is an error in the KBT aircraft configuration file entry which only allows for one engine and therefore 1 starter. The fix is simple: cut and paste the following into the aircraft configuration file in the section replacing the single entry with these:

[electrical]

starter1=0, 20, 17.0
    starter2=0, 20, 17.0
    starter3=0, 20, 17.0
    starter4=0, 20, 17.0

This change will allow you to start the engines using the overhead starter selector and button. The left hand white coloured pedestal buttons that may tool tip and say starter do not work and are erroneous - if you have installed all the above in the above sequence you may not see this at all but if you have the incorrect build or fixes you will. There is an unfortunate remaining bug in P3DV5 that means SHIFT+E will open the door but alas for some reason SHIFT+E+2 or 3 or any other combo will no longer deploy the airstairs (This was fluky at the best in FSX but I have not been able to get the airstairs to deploy in P3DV5 (Another issue being considered as to why?)

Of course install any livery you wish as per normal. However it should be noted that a lot of the uploads done by various folk have uploaded the whole model for some reason not just the textures, my advice on these is to ignore any such models or config files and just use the texture or livery only. Some have different VC textures particularly for night time I guess it is a matter of personal preference which you like but you can use them in any livery if you copy across the relevant VC textures into the livery of your choice. I have found that using Paul Craig's livery Qantas Electra as a template with his modified textures you will get in a lot of the others duplicate texture files that you do not need and will in fact lead to not very good texture outcomes (dirty or shaded or whatever) just delete any that are common to the shared texture folder and the new livery should work just fine.

Note you will have to make changes to both the PASS and CARGO Versions respectively. There is an additional mod or texture/model fix for the CARGO version that you may wish to use if you use the cargo version. Note that all the pure Cargo models have no cabin interior unlike the combi type operated by Reeve which does and all the Passenger versions which do also.

A search of the flight sim sites and Flightsim.com in particular should give you basically all the relevant liveries for most of the airlines or companies who used the Electra. There are a few outliers that used the Electra that I have not seen and if your a cargo flier then the Ansett White Wombat and Red Tails liveries for the Cargo version are uploaded here only at SOH.

I think that is about all. These packages all worked fine for me in FSX and now in P3DV5. The VC and switches etc is a mess but over time may get fixed KBT willing or not opposed to it!

Finally proof of concept Paul Craig's Qantas livery in P3DV5. If I remember correctly Paul actually very kindly did this one for me many years ago and then put it out for others to use.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Scorch - by the way very nice work on your recent tanker models and textures and thanks for generously sharing them! As above, I could only start engine #1. Ctrl + E also does not work. Curious to know how you get all the engines going in P3Dv4? Be very exciting to find a breakthrough here . .
    It was my pleasure, I'm glad I was able to bring those versions of the Electra to the sims.

It's been a bit since I've flown her. I'll have to look at BendyFlyer's suggestion as well. But The way around it from What I remember is actually the way I have my HOTAS configured. I have Fuel Cut switches for each engine (1-4). Strangely, by just flipping the fuel back on to each engine once I've cut them, Cntrl + E starts them right back up. I think this bypasses the bug with the mixture setting for some of the older FSX based aircraft. I'm also not 100% sure, but the tanker versions also don't use KBT's panel/interior model. That may also contribute to the fact of why I've got mine to work. The version I have/used has the panel from Paul Strogen's panel/VC he did for Mike Stone's L-188, that was adapted and model merged to FSX native in the KBT Electras with the 4K texture upgraded versions. I'm not even sure where I got this version from, but I believe it was on AVSIM.

I also added my own xml effect controller gauge that moved the engine smoke to the lights section from the smokesystem section to make a true engine auto-smoke effect for them that worked in P3D. Freed up the smokesystem section to add people's own retardant/water effect or for use in FireFighterX. That was really all the tweaking I did to the panel on my tanker version.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Just a few panel pics in P3DV5. The KBT Electra scrubs up pretty well. There are some mods here but this is the KBT panel now has WX Radar (Freeware/Shareware Courtesy of Bjoern works on met reports press and temp) and some minor panel changes that are underway.

Two different night textures that have been done by different folk. The first is from the TAA HD textures the other is from a Cathay Pacific texture.

Now the landing lights and taxy light work but the old FSX bug of the lights going off at daylight still exists and the landing lights throw a green hue in the VC (But I have the same issue with two AH aicraft as well so it is an effects file issue in P3DV5).

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    I also added my own xml effect controller gauge that moved the engine smoke to the lights section from the smokesystem section to make a true engine auto-smoke effect for them that worked in P3D. Freed up the smokesystem section to add people's own retardant/water effect or for use in FireFighterX. That was really all the tweaking I did to the panel on my tanker version.
    At first, I had no smoke effect till I remembered in the P3C there was a working smoke effect in the Aircraft.cfg (Smoke system) section which I copied and pasted to the L-188 smoke section of the
    Aircraft.cfg. Previously, there was a
    [SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0= 0.271, -30.017, -1.052, fx_smoke_rx >>>> This effect didn't work in P3D 4.5
    smoke.1=-1.232, -15.416, -3.801, fx_smoke_rx
    smoke.2=-1.232, 15.506, -3.801, fx_smoke_rx
    smoke.3= 0.271, 30.002, -1.052, fx_smoke_rx

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0= -8.052, -31.017, 2.271, fx_smoke_f6//cs130_smoke >>> This one works.
    smoke.1= -10.801, -15.416, 1.232, fx_smoke_f6//cs130_smoke
    smoke.2= -10.801, 15.506, 1.232, fx_smoke_f6//cs130_smoke
    smoke.3= -8.052, 31.002, 2.271, fx_smoke_f6//cs130_smoke

I am curious in your way of doing this in the lights section.

These are IMHO the correct files to avoid getting the old MS2004/FSX versions. They are all for FSX only and when put together provide a workable model for P3D.

1. l-188_electra_x.zip - this gives the Pass and Cargo Version for FSX
    2. FSX FS KBT L188 Electra Fix V1 - (fskbt_l188_fix.zip) This is the first fix from KBT.
    3. l188_update_and_fix2.zip - this is the second fix from KBT.
    Install in that order 1-3 and allow overwrites for relevant files and packages. This then gives you the correct FSX version which works in P3D.

Now there is a mod which was addressed here at SOH but escapes a lot of peoples attention is the issues of the starters. There is an error in the KBT aircraft configuration file entry which only allows for one engine and therefore 1 starter. The fix is simple: cut and paste the following into the aircraft configuration file in the section replacing the single entry with these:

[electrical]

starter1=0, 20, 17.0
    starter2=0, 20, 17.0
    starter3=0, 20, 17.0
    starter4=0, 20, 17.0

This change will allow you to start the engines using the overhead starter selector and button. The left hand white coloured pedestal buttons that may tool tip and say starter do not work and are erroneous - if you have installed all the above in the above sequence you may not see this at all but if you have the incorrect build or fixes you will. There is an unfortunate remaining bug in P3DV5 that means SHIFT+E will open the door but alas for some reason SHIFT+E+2 or 3 or any other combo will no longer deploy the airstairs (This was fluky at the best in FSX but I have not been able to get the airstairs to deploy in P3DV5 (Another issue being considered as to why?)
    I've installed all files you listed and in order you mentioned.

I didn't see any overhead starter switch so I am posting my Overhead panel from FE view.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    At first, I had no smoke effect till I remembered in the P3C there was a working smoke effect in the Aircraft.cfg (Smoke system) section which I copied and pasted to the L-188 smoke section of the
    Aircraft.cfg. Previously, there was a
    [SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0= 0.271, -30.017, -1.052, fx_smoke_rx >>>> This effect didn't work in P3D 4.5
    smoke.1=-1.232, -15.416, -3.801, fx_smoke_rx
    smoke.2=-1.232, 15.506, -3.801, fx_smoke_rx
    smoke.3= 0.271, 30.002, -1.052, fx_smoke_rx

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0= -8.052, -31.017, 2.271, fx_smoke_f6//cs130_smoke >>> This one works.
    smoke.1= -10.801, -15.416, 1.232, fx_smoke_f6//cs130_smoke
    smoke.2= -10.801, 15.506, 1.232, fx_smoke_f6//cs130_smoke
    smoke.3= -8.052, 31.002, 2.271, fx_smoke_f6//cs130_smoke

I am curious in your way of doing this in the lights section.
    I essentially attached the effect like you would an afterburner to a fighter, using the logo lights and a modified an afterburner xml file to control the effect based on engine power settings. Power below 80% I believe and the engines don't smoke. Above that, she rolls coal out the exhaust. I have the xml file and the change around on my hard drive. Some people have wanted to do add this to other prop aircraft to free up the smokesystem section for aircraft that have smokey exhaust, so if people want it I can probably upload it somewhere. It's easily adaptable to other platforms. I made it originally for the Electra, but have since put it on the stock C-130s, KBT P-3s, and other aircraft. The mod works with any smoke effect, it just like I said. Picks up and moves it from the smokesystem to the lights section. You'd just have remove the aircraft's stock smokesystem controller gauge from the panel if it has one.

light.4= 9, 0.271, -30.017, -1.052,fx_c130_smoke
    light.5= 9, -1.232, -15.416, -3.801, fx_c130_smoke
    light.6= 9, -1.232, 15.506, -3.801,fx_c130_smoke
    light.7= 9, 0.271, 30.002, -1.052, fx_c130_smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    I essentially attached the effect like you would an afterburner to a fighter, using the logo lights and a modified an afterburner xml file to control the effect based on engine power settings. Power below 80% I believe and the engines don't smoke. Above that, she rolls coal out the exhaust. I have the xml file and the change around on my hard drive. Some people have wanted to do add this to other prop aircraft to free up the smokesystem section for aircraft that have smokey exhaust, so if people want it I can probably upload it somewhere. It's easily adaptable to other platforms. The mod works with any smoke effect, it just like I said. Picks up and moves it from the smokesystem to the lights section. You'd just have remove the aircraft's stock smokesystem controller gauge from the panel if it has one.

light.4= 9, 0.271, -30.017, -1.052,fx_c130_smoke
    light.5= 9, -1.232, -15.416, -3.801, fx_c130_smoke
    light.6= 9, -1.232, 15.506, -3.801,fx_c130_smoke
    light.7= 9, 0.271, 30.002, -1.052, fx_c130_smoke
    I'd be interested in giving it a try - looks like your light entries use the same smoke effect as I do in my smoke system.

Anyone use this and noticed any difference with it? I tried and don't see any difference. (P3D 4.5)
    It looks like in the AFTER, the windows are blanked out but I still have windows in the cargo version.

It's at AVSIM

elec_cargo_bump2.zip

File Description:
    The bump effect of the window frame lid in the ELECTRA cargo can be reduced by using this file. To be sued with the Team FS KBT ELECTRA CARGO (l-188_electra_x.zip).

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I'd be interested in giving it a try - looks like your light entries use the same smoke effect as I do in my smoke system.
    Cool.

Yeah, I've moved around using different effects, but I always come back to the stock Herc effect in P3D. It looks the best in my opinion for the T56 powered birds at least. I've uploaded it to my google drive temporarily and will likely add it to one of the misc. file sections later here. Anyone that wants to give the mod a try is free to download and use it.

Hopefully, the installation should be straightforward. The readme I wrote for it was several months ago now.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zpH...ew?usp=sharing

GrayEagle - The starter switch is inoperable in the VC mode you have to bring up the 2D overhead. This is one of the various switch and VC issues that are being worked on. The logic of the relationship between VC and 2d is also a back to front for some reason. You will only get the light switches, battery master, fuel cut off, generator and starters in the 2d panel. They do not correspond to the VC and basically most of the VC overhead is for show only.

At KMEM - P3D 4.5

GrayEagle - The starter switch is inoperable in the VC mode you have to bring up the 2D overhead. This is one of the various switch and VC issues that are being worked on.
    Okay - Thanks, I' try that.

Nice shot of the cargo version there - I presume that is GSX? doing the work. I could never get it to work properly on my old FSX system.

Nice shot of the cargo version there - I presume that is GSX? doing the work. I could never get it to work properly on my old FSX system.
    It is. It works good for me in P3D 4.5 and it did when I used P3D V3

I tried this
    [electrical]

starter1=0, 20, 17.0
    starter2=0, 20, 17.0
    starter3=0, 20, 17.0
    starter4=0, 20, 17.0

starter 1 is only one that will start. Others don't start. I noticed the the generator switches will all switch off when I select #2 etc and do a CTRL +E
    Also, It seems like the props take to long to stop spinning after shut down. My guess is something in Aircraft cfg prop MOI? needs adjustment. Just a guess.

This little number gets the stairs working for me.

Add this gauge in the attached zip file and this line in your panel.cfg:

[Windowxx]
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=50,80
    position=8
    visible=1
    ident=60

gauge00=DoorControl!Version3, 0,0,50,80

"E3" does the air stair.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

This little number gets the stairs working for me.

Add this gauge in the attached zip file and this line in your panel.cfg:

[Windowxx]
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=50,80
    position=8
    visible=1
    ident=60

gauge00=DoorControl!Version3, 0,0,50,80

"E3" does the air stair.

I've no issues with the stairs.

It's the VC start engines that's not working for me. For now, I just use the CTRL + E and watch each engine automatically start up.

GE, I also just had a hard time with the manual individual engine starts. What seems to work is to have the fuel swtiches all on cutoff, select an engine with the white rotary dial on the 2d panel, press the green button, wait a bit, click Fuel On for that engine, then switch the white rotary button to OFF. Only then could I start any engine individually.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

GE, I also just had a hard time with the manual individual engine starts. What seems to work is to have the fuel swtiches all on cutoff, select an engine with the white rotary dial on the 2d panel, press the green button, wait a bit, click Fuel On for that engine, then switch the white rotary button to OFF. Only then could I start any engine individually.
    Ah...Thanks for the info

As far as operation of the stairs I discovered:
    shift+E+2 to lower the stairs

It turns out when you first load the aircraft there is a gauge or embedded XML code constantly sending key commands to adjust the mixture.
    If you switch to VC, advance then retard the throttles, it seems to clear it and you can operate the exits & stairs normally.

Thanks BendyFlyer for all the useful tips, including the panel mods, and texture mods by Paul Craig which have really sharpened her up inside and out. I seem to now have the engine starting and AP functions working acceptably. Really a very satifying ride now in P3Dv4.5.

I recall there was I think a cargo version that had both a forward large cargo door and rear split door also with an air stair? Can't seem to find it or get it work in my rag tag collection of KBT Electra bits.

KBT P3 Prop MOI Fix and idle brake creep

When I shutdown the KBT Electra P3D V4 the Props seemed to spin for two minutes ` after the engine has
    stopped. I had to modify the Propeller MOI setting to = 7.0 that works. At first, when I changed the numbers,
    only #1 engine would start and not the others. I finally had my aha moment.

Now I am trying figure how to solve the engine idle brake creep.

I've tried this suggestion and doesn't seem to help

Open Aircraft.cfg, and search for "brakes". You will see 2 lines like this:

parking_brake = 1
    toe_brakes_scale = 1.0 <-- increase this, to 1.5, 2.0, et

EDIT: It seems if I set the brakes before starting all the props, engine idle with no aircraft movement; when brakes are released it seems to remain stopped.

Then when I release the brakes and apply a little throttle it will move a little, then, when I reapply the brakes (engine at idle) it will remain stopped.

I've also noticed that making an increase in the "toe_brakes_scale" value causes the plane to nose (dip) down more when braking. I changed it back to what it was.

At least the Prop MOI adjustment will make the props stop spinning sooner (realistically) then before.
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 18th, 2020 at 11:37.

Members who have read this thread: 3