There's a new Dragon in the skys [Released to SOH 18 Sep 21] - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: There's a new Dragon in the skys [Released to SOH 18 Sep 21]

What a wonderful Sunday!!! Remember seeing 2 Dragon at Luanda Airport-Angola back in 1971. Wonder what happen to them.

BTW someone please do Portuguese colours? Please...
    Best Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dragon_Rapide.jpg  

Just took her for a spin around the pattern. Beautiful! Great having these planes in flight sim again!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I'll fly it today, if any kind soul wants to make this texture, I'll love it

English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

Absolutely beautiful! I've never played with CFG files or anything in MSFS, is there a way of dropping the idling speed from 1100 down to say 5-600? Might make stopping easier. Such a lovely thing to fly!

A beautiful aircraft and a beautiful model too. I can't get the modern radios to appear, but ATC comms work anyway so no big deal. The engine shutdown sounds can't be heard for some reason, although they are all there in the sound folder and the sound.cfg file.

Sounds fixed!

Some of the sound files contain metadata such as the title (actually the sim it was created for: FS2000 and CFS for example) and MSFS won't play them for some reason. By opening each sound file in a sound editor and simply 'Save As' the same title and format, all metadata is removed and the sound now plays in MSFS.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Some of the sound files contain metadata such as the title (actually the sim it was created for: FS2000 and CFS for example) and MSFS won't play them for some reason. By opening each sound file in a sound editor and simply 'Save As' the same title and format, all metadata is removed and the sound now plays in MSFS.
    Thanks for tip! I've got a couple of other small updates in the pipeline, so I'll add that to the list.
    BTW, the modern radios aren't in this this package I'm afraid.

Wow, thanks Tiger for that tip on the wav files. I had not realized that MSFS won't play a wav file with metadata.

After reading your tip I looked for an easy way to remove the metadata on a bulk basis and I found this page:

https://www.computerjazz.net/myaccou...s-in-bulk.html

This directs you to a little free app that is easy and seems good for this purpose. I already cleaned my Rapide files, and I'm going to start going through my other portover planes' sound files as well.

August

Dave,

In addition to the fast idle problem that others here have noted, I'm having trouble with the mixture control. It seems to play tug-of-war with my mixture axis control, always trying to pull it to full rich. When I move the lever I can see it jerk back and forth, but it always ends up on rich again. Don't know if others are having the problem.

I confirmed it's not a control conflict and it also doesn't happen on the port-over that I had earlier done of v4 of your plane.

It looks like my mixture control is fighting an automixture setting. I discovered in your engine.cfg that it looks like you had automixture switched on, but when I changed that param from a 0 to a 1, it didn't help.

Love this plane, it was a fav in P3D and great to have in MSFS. Maybe Jan can be prevailed upon to adapt a bunch of his old skins to the new bird. I converted them for my port-over, and they still look great on it.

August

Can vouch for MP3Tag, it's a powerful little tool and in my opinion a must have for anyone who works with audio in any capacity. dBpoweramp is another great program if you need to do batch conversions and can also be used to strip the metadata iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Dave,

In addition to the fast idle problem that others here have noted, I'm having trouble with the mixture control. It seems to play tug-of-war with my mixture axis control, always trying to pull it to full rich. When I move the lever I can see it jerk back and forth, but it always ends up on rich again. Don't know if others are having the problem.

I confirmed it's not a control conflict and it also doesn't happen on the port-over that I had earlier done of v4 of your plane.

It looks like my mixture control is fighting an automixture setting. I discovered in your engine.cfg that it looks like you had automixture switched on, but when I changed that param from a 0 to a 1, it didn't help.

Love this plane, it was a fav in P3D and great to have in MSFS. Maybe Jan can be prevailed upon to adapt a bunch of his old skins to the new bird. I converted them for my port-over, and they still look great on it.

August
    The mixture controls work fine here (although for some reason "grab and drag" isn't working, but using the mouse wheel is ok). You can't move the mixture levers past the throttles as there is a physical lock. With the throttles open you can weaken the mixture, but it will return to rich when the throttles are closed.

Dave I hope you don't mind but I may have found a fix for the fast idle too: there are two tables in engines.cfg [PISTON_ENGINE] section which I've changed to these values:

engine_mechanical_efficiency_table=0.000000:0.7700 00, 700.000000:0.770000, 2300.000000:0.770000, 2550.000000:0.670000, 2600.000000:0.600000

engine_friction_table=-300.000000:-25.000000, 300.000000:25.000000, 500.000000:25.000000, 2600.000000:29.000000

I've done a few flights now and overall power and performance seems unaffected, and the 'forward creep' at idle has stopped.

(Disregard brake issue, my rudder pedals suddenly decided to stop with MSFS)

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    I've done a few flights now and overall power and performance seems unaffected, and the 'forward creep' at idle has stopped.
    Hi tiger, thanks for sharing this but I tried your settings and my aircraft starts flipping all over the place. Any chance there's a typo in there? I made sure to copy over the exact settings. EDIT: I noticed a space between the zeroes in that first setting, I'll try removing that and see if it solves the issue. EDIT 2: That seems to have fixed it!

Sorry about that LostPilot, thanks for sharing the fix too I've tried to post the corrected version but the forum is adding a space again! I'll try to highlight the point where the space needs deleting:

engine_mechanical_efficiency_table=0.000000:0.7700 00, 700.000000:0.770000, 2300.000000:0.770000, 2550.000000:0.670000, 2600.000000:0.600000
    Last edited by tiger1962; September 21st, 2021 at 05:38.

jk7719 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7730 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7735 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7739 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Finally had an opportunity to fly this around Hawaii for a while today. WOW, this is beautiful and fun to fly. Looks great in VR, too! Thank you so much for finishing the port and sharing it. Really loving it.

Only weirdness I've found is with the views. The snap left/right/up views all take you outside the cockpit. Not sure if that was intentional. Not an issue in VR, of course.

jk7747 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

JK7752 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7753 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Great job JanKees.

I'll be uploading an update at the weekend to fix a couple of small issues that have surfaced since release.

Love those repaints , JanKees

in that case, here's another:
    jk7771 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7776 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Dave, will the update interfere with these paints?

No, your paints with be fine. It's mostly XML and config stuff, the only mod to the model itself is to fix a hole in the lower tailplane.

A beautiful model of a beautiful aeroplane, thank you very much Dave!

Brilliant to have my trusty mount of choice back. It doesn't quite feel like a flight sim for me unless I'm taking in the sights to the accompaniment of twin Gipsy Sixes! Thanks, Dave.

Do the old FSX/P3D repaints still work with this conversion? Because if so, I'll upload a new package of my AA repaint for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Petford View Post
    Do the old FSX/P3D repaints still work with this conversion? Because if so, I'll upload a new package of my AA repaint for her.
    They work, but you'll have to convert them to the new dds format, and possibly adapt the comp files

I'm still converting:
    jk7863 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7842 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7838 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7832 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7823 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Members who have read this thread: 4