Do planes break up enough? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Are planes breaking up from bullets and/or stress?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I see plenty.

3 4.55%
  • No, I see none.

27 40.91%
  • Yes, I see some but want more.

31 46.97%
  • Yes, I see some and it's enough.

5 7.58%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do planes break up enough?

rabu

Lightbulb Proposal

I think that when a pilot is chosen, most of the reality settings should be locked if the hardest level is chosen. So, if you set the reality to "Real SIM" level (or some other descriptive) it should give you the closest experience to what it was really like and you shouldn't be able to change most of the settings for that pilot while he is enlisted.

Meanwhile, all other lesser reality levels should still have the option of altering all their settings as they wish, all the way down to semi arcade, if they want.. why not fish in that crowd, then get them interested in working up to the top?

We might even have a different set of graphics for those who go for the highest settings, just to make that a goal of a player, and the reward of being able to say that one flew in the BHH RS (Real Sim) mode and survived! :woot:

LeBlaque
    Quote Originally Posted by quoth View Post
    Hi All

Voted for see some but would like more But on a related subject, it seems to me that when one does shoot a plane down, too many of them seem to go in a shallow dive/glide before crashing/landing. I would have expected more planes to go into a spin etc and falling out of the sky than more than currently seems to be the case.

Just some thoughts

Cheers

Q
    When I read this comment, it placed into further context for me why I voted the way I did. I'm not necessarily sure I need to see many more parts flying off (though voted I'd like to see more), engines catch fire, pilots and observers bail out due to fire (though would like to see that, really!), etc., but what I would like to see is some more variety, if possible, of observable "shot down" outcomes, meaning if a pilot is severely hit erratic flying, wing-overs, spins, sudden dives and climbs, etc. etc. Clearly BHAH exceeds RB3D mods by a wide margin, but my aging memory seems to recall a much greater variety of kill outcomes so that I know an aircraft was going to take a dirt nap. As the poster above suggested, it appears a number of my kills take that long, lonely glide to cratering as opposed to something a bit more spectacular. Anyway, that's an edit to my vote of "would like to see more."

rabu
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBlaque View Post
    When I read this comment, it placed into further context for me why I voted the way I did. I'm not necessarily sure I need to see many more parts flying off (though voted I'd like to see more), engines catch fire, pilots and observers bail out due to fire (though would like to see that, really!), etc., but what I would like to see is some more variety, if possible, of observable "shot down" outcomes, meaning if a pilot is severely hit erratic flying, wing-overs, spins, sudden dives and climbs, etc. etc. Clearly BHAH exceeds RB3D mods by a wide margin, but my aging memory seems to recall a much greater variety of kill outcomes so that I know an aircraft was going to take a dirt nap. As the poster above suggested, it appears a number of my kills take that long, lonely glide to cratering as opposed to something a bit more spectacular. Anyway, that's an edit to my vote of "would like to see more."
    How about the frequent old RB classic crash where it would spin like a top on its tail?

Geier
    So I voted for I see None since, uh, I've actually never seen any part of my or an enemy's plane come off other than from FlaK-hits. Not saying of course that they don't happen, only that I've never seen them.
    And would like to.

rabu
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggi View Post
    Are you seeing planes come apart, under fire or from being over-stressed or a combination of both? If yes, does it happen enough? Do you want more, less...or just any at all?

This is from bullets, not archie.
    If you're playing with "Invincible" pilot setting I don't think you will get any damage with that setting. Try pilot never dies instead.

I've done some experimenting in QC flying the N11, N16 and N17 and I got all of them to shed a lower wing through a steep dive where I got the speed up to just under 200mph and then started seeing speed warnings and damage notices and with further loops and hard turns, finally a wing would rip off and the QC would end quickly. This has not happened with just a dive though, I had to work at it awhile with some hard maneuvering.

I do think that hard dives should not be tolerated by the planes that couldn't tolerate them, hopefully within the possibilities that the flayers faced back then. In Red Baron loosing a wing in a Nieuport happened with almost any hard dive, in BHH it can happen, but not very often. I think something between the two would be realistic, but Shreadward could probably come up with the statistics on that.

N17 wing lost:

Text warnings:

N16 wing lost:

One other thing I noticed, if I got hit by the enemy in key areas the damage was more likely to occure with only some maneuvering, so I think the damage/structual intregity is working pretty well.

Siggi
    I had the pilot on invincible, not the plane. I was taking damage from bullets ok. But thanks for the heads-up, it could have happened.

Angles1100
    Just a thought but I wonder how many of the people that see lots of aircraft breakups fly German 2 gun aircraft as opposed to people like myself flying a DH2 with a single Lewis gun and never see breakups .

just thinking out loud

cheers

Siggi
    Quote Originally Posted by Angles1100 View Post
    Just a thought but I wonder how many of the people that see lots of aircraft breakups fly German 2 gun aircraft as opposed to people like myself flying a DH2 with a single Lewis gun and never see breakups .

just thinking out loud

cheers
    Dunno. I've shot plenty down with the twin-Vickers Camel and still seen none.

rabu
    I had the pilot on invincible, not the plane. I was taking damage from bullets ok. But thanks for the heads-up, it could have happened.
    Yes, Siggi, the pilot.... I tried the pilot on invincible during my QC test dives and could never get the plane to break up, thus my comment.. try it?

Siggi
    Quote Originally Posted by rabu View Post
    Yes, Siggi, the pilot.... I tried the pilot on invincible during my QC test dives and could never get the plane to break up, thus my comment.. try it?
    Nope, no difference. Invincibility off, pilot death on Hard, dived vertical from 10k at full throttle in the Nupe17, pulled out with max stick at 3k, nada. Went straight into the hardest possible horizontal turn, plenty of creaking but nothing broke. Carried on like that for a bit, got bored and started doing loops and went into the ground. Then I saw both the bottom wings come off (still-frame of them about five feet further forward than they should have been) and I died.

Maybe my stick's not giving me full deflection...? That's a jolly good excuse to go buy another one. But this one is pretty good already, unless the sparse FFB is a stick problem and not the CFS3 FFB outputs...

Or more likely HQ knows how good I am and makes sure I get the best planes. I wonder how long they'll put up with me writing them off.

UK_Widowmaker
    I am just grateful for the smoke and flames we get treated to in P3
    (they were a bit short of those effects in P2)

As regards breakages... I am 'reasonably' convinced there are less with the latest patch?...but that of course, might be me

quoth
    Never played RB but did play Rowans Flying Corps a lot and seem to remember that both albs and (especially) Nupes would shed the top wing, with a loud crack, very often if put into anything more than a shallow dive.

Q

Geier
    Yes, from my experience (with the Alb DIII) you can point you nose straight down with no ill effects IF you throttle down to min. That did not work in FC, you had to make circles when you wanted to lose alt fast, but here it seems you've got airbrakes on. I still appreciate what has been achieved with the CFS3 engine though.

(Just had a mother-beautiful furball with 8 Albs against 9 SPAD VIIs. SPADS won, 5-3, but they were the ones bouncing us from high alt and I did give too few good orders to my wingmen. )

rabu
    Nope, no difference. Invincibility off, pilot death on Hard, dived vertical from 10k at full throttle in the Nupe17, pulled out with max stick at 3k, nada. Went straight into the hardest possible horizontal turn, plenty of creaking but nothing broke. Carried on like that for a bit, got bored and started doing loops and went into the ground. Then I saw both the bottom wings come off (still-frame of them about five feet further forward than they should have been) and I died.

Maybe my stick's not giving me full deflection...? That's a jolly good excuse to go buy another one. But this one is pretty good already, unless the sparse FFB is a stick problem and not the CFS3 FFB outputs...

Or more likely HQ knows how good I am and makes sure I get the best planes. I wonder how long they'll put up with me writing them off.
    Hmmm... no, I don't think it has anything to do with your stick. But, like I said, even after a hard dive I had to do a lot of loops and such to get it to break up, but I never could get it to break up, doing the same dives and maneuvers, when the pilot was on invincible.