first flight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first flight

first flight

yes!
    I managed to get things working. I have to say that this was by far the most appalling install I ever had for any software, really ridiculous.
    So I took my first flight, managed to find my own house (I'm sure everybody tries this) before crashing and trying again.
    What's with the cameras? I never managed to get a decent look...
    Default is the cockpit view, 'end' changes to external view with all instruments etc (can you get rid of those?) with no panning, just some side and top views and then what? There no manual that I could find?
    Random experimenting gave me another external view with the 'insert' button, but then the aircraft does not react to anything any more, and still no panning. The toolbar camera button doesn't do a lot either, am I turning stupid or am I missing something?

And while I am complaining, what's with the registrations of the aircraft? Can you change that?
    and to be honest, what a boring selection of aircraft to fly.....or is that just me?

Maybe I should mention that my work has kept, and will keep me ridiculously busy for a while, so I have very little time for any experimenting here, let alone having time to think about any painting....so just understanding how the camera works would be a nice start.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

The camera views are far more complex than before, but the same panning options are there for the Hat switch in cockpit and external views. They're just harder to find - hopefully this guide will help: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...and-faq/139214
    There are many more guides over at the flightsimulator.com forums.

Here's the easy way to make your hatswitch feel at home again. By Johnny Terrell :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/120765-camera-to-cockpit-views?p=1233540&viewfull=1#post1233540

Welcome to the club Jan Kees. Initially i couldn't even manage to get an MS Account so nuts to that and got MSFS via Steam. All done in about half an hour without so much as a hiccup. Personally i have never been at so much awe with any flightsim (P3Dv4 did come very close) so it certainly is worth the trouble. Did buy a new system and i suppose that has a lot to do with it too.

You can get rid of the instruments in External View by going into the Options Menu (Escape while in the sim), select General/Camera/Heads Up Display (HUD) and select Off. You can set truckloads of other stuff here too. Good luck with that !

Cheers,
    Jan

SOH-CM-2023
    See the topic: Too many and too tall trees

You'll find some drone keystrokes there that should help. I find a place close by the house to land then use the drone. Takes a little getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post

You'll find some drone keystrokes there that should help. I find a place close by the house to land then use the drone. Takes a little getting used to.
    You can also use active pause in flight, then go to the drone view. You can move around quite easily in drone mode by adjusting the drone speed setting. I use it for my screenshots. What's totally missing is flyby, airport view, and recorded playback.

- d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post

You can also use active pause in flight, then go to the drone view. You can move around quite easily in drone mode by adjusting the drone speed setting. I use it for my screenshots. What's totally missing is flyby, airport view, and recorded playback.

- d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

One thing funny about PAUSE button; you're still burning fuel while using it.

I discovered that while going for a long trip. Had to pause for supper and, when I came back, my fuel gauges were nearly empty! Fortunately, an airport was in sight but the long trip turned into a short emergency landing.
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Jan-Kees,

for me it's a great sim. I realy have my enthousiasm back, after maybe 8 years or so. It has some quirks, or maybe a lot, but I can see past that, because it looks so good! I'm sure bugs are getting ironed out. Other planes will be introduced. I'm realy looking forward to some WW2 fighters, and maybe even our Uiver.
    You will enjoy it as well, I'm sure.

Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Quote Originally Posted by hubbabubba View Post
    One thing funny about PAUSE button; you're still burning fuel while using it.

I discovered that while going for a long trip. Had to pause for supper and, when I came back, my fuel gauges were nearly empty! Fortunately, an airport was in sight but the long trip turned into a short emergency landing.
    LOL, didn't know that, thanks for the heads up.

Asobo has a very detailed guide regarding the new camera system. I read through it the other day and there were a lot of features and bindings I didn't know about, like pressing "C" while in drone mode will toggle whether or not you have control of your aircraft.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...amera-Overview

Instruments in Chase View:
    Options, Camera, Chase Camera, Instrument Heads-Up...

Registration is under ATC Option in the Aircraft Selection screen.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

With regard to "pause", there are two different types in this sim - "Active Pause", which is assigned to the Pause key by default, and real "Pause", which acts like a normal pause function, but which isn't assigned any key by default. I simply went into the keyboard controls, deleted the assignment for "Active Pause", and reassigned the pause key to the real "Pause" function.

I like Active Pause for taking pictures, but it screws up the autopilot in some planes and some planes will even enter a stall while in Active Pause. For standard pause, I just use the escape key. But now that I know the pause we're used to is in there (Thanks John), I might have to assign it as well.

Ken

I still haven't found a real pause..even escape makes time advance.

Using active pause when live weather and traffic are set is when you will encounter problems. It plays havoc with the AP, aircraft trim and throttle settings upon return.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

Using active pause when live weather and traffic are set is when you will encounter problems. It plays havoc with the AP, aircraft trim and throttle settings upon return.
    Nice to know! I'll just keep using "ESC".

As I alluded to earlier, assign a key to "Set Pause On" and another key/combo to "Set Pause Off". Using those functions, you'll have standard pause, which has no conflicts with auto pilot.

Regarding registration, the best way to change the default registration is to download some of the megapacks. Then you can go into each livery and change its registration.

I have yet to figure out how to control anything but the number from the aircraft.cfg file. To change the color or size, I had to add a panel.cfg file and edit the registration stuff in there. If you're any good with css and javascript, the base registration files are in

D:\FS2020\Official\OneStore\asobo-vliveries\html_ui\Pages\VLivery\Liveries\Registrat ion

Not that you want to edit any of the files in the "Official" directories, but maybe some knowledge gleaned from these files can help guide to edits that can be put in the Community directory.

To get rid of the "decals" textures, I make their alpha channel transparent.

To get rid of the registration number decals altogether (they're pretty limited), however, again, I use a panel.cfg file in a livery and change its height to 1mm.

You can check out my C-152 48270 livery for examples of what I'm talking about.

I have yet to figure out how to change the font of a Registration Number.

the C152X performance update for the C152 is pretty fun, though I haven't tested it since the update.

Many I'm crashing a lot after this update.

When you're in the aircraft selection section, look on the left for ATC Options. You can set registration, callsign, and flight # there. Fun fact, if you're running Azure as the voice source, you can literally type in anything you want for the callsign and Azure will read it - even if it's a word that sounds a little like Fokker! (Yes, there's still a little 14 year-old in me!)
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    When you're in the aircraft selection section, look on the left for ATC Options. You can set registration, callsign, and flight # there. Fun fact, if you're running Azure as the voice source, you can literally type in anything you want for the callsign and Azure will read it - even if it's a word that sounds a little like Fokker! (Yes, there's still a little 14 year-old in me!)
    These forums need a 'like' button because your comment on Fokker made me laugh.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

That's what Facebook has done to us!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    That's what Facebook has done to us!

In the mean time I have to admit it looks really nice. I managed to pan around with the hat switch, but I still don't understand the drone view. Most of the times my aircraft doesn't do anything anymore in drone view, but sometimes it does things I don't tell it to do. What's the plan?
    a few random shots, from Oz:

the Netherlands

Alaska

and Belgium

Now all I want is more aircraft, preferably military aircraft with piston engines.....
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    In the mean time I have to admit it looks really nice. I managed to pan around with the hat switch, but I still don't understand the drone view. Most of the times my aircraft doesn't do anything anymore in drone view, but sometimes it does things I don't tell it to do. What's the plan?
    Pressing "C" while using the drone camera will toggle the ability to control of your aircraft

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...amera-Overview

The drone view works best if you have an Xbox controller plugged in.
    You can still have your normal controls plugged in as well but I found its best if you go into the control option and remove all the aircraft control assignments from the Xbox controller so you don't get any conflicts.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56