Flight Sim Strategy and Scalability Focus

Thread: Flight Sim Strategy and Scalability Focus

buddye

Flight Sim Strategy and Scalability Focus

Hi Guys,

I do ”not” want to clutter up this fine forum (very mature players and G-rated rather like the BOBII forum) with the written text of this old fart BOBII coder, but I have noted that the OFF team and the BOBII team seem to share the exact same strategy of development and support.

• Historic Accuracy and Realism always is a high priority
    • Provide game Play difficulty that both Novices and Experts can enjoy with game play options for Players personal taste
    • A Development Team that listens to its players recommendations/concerns
    • Support for the Product with help, fixes, and documentation is Priority #1

It is just amazing to me that the BOBII and OFF development teams are so close in their method of development and support. Maybe I just never took the time to look before (little free time in the life of a Flight Sim developer).

BOBII and most flight Sims are very difficult for most Novices. We have seen many new BOBII Players (novices and the young) just give up and move to something much easier.

The discussion you guys are having about “scalability” made me think of the importance of Novice-to-Expert game play so it is easier to introduce new players (both young and old) into the fight sim world.

As an example, here is a post on BOBII’s FQA forum from a Novice who was frustrated and asking for help on BOBII but I bet it could be a Novice OFF player as well:

I had a very frustrated Novice who purchased BOBII at another forum. This is the advice I offered him at the time. I offer this information here in hope some other BOBII interested Novice players or buyers will come along and read it. I also hope some of our outstanding community will offer some New/Novice tips to this sticky thread.

Hi NOVICE/NEWBIE, welcome to BOBII, and sorry for the disappointment and frustration. I have been there myself. I hope you will stick with it as the rewards are significant for player interested in history, WWII, A/C , flying, and BOB. The game simulates each and every day of the BOB in the campaign and you can play on either the RAF or LUF side but you must learn to fly, shoot, and control the game first.

The game has a learning curve even for the very experienced flight simulation players (100's of features and options with over 200 key commands) so controlling the game takes some time and effort. The features are explained in the Users Manual (located in the BOBII folder in the Docs folder) for the GUI (Graphic User's Interface), options in appendix A, and Keys in Appendix H. You will need to scan and read the User Manual.

Take you time as BOBII is more of a hobby (if interested) than a simple game. We like to think of BOBII as "The BOB Time Machine" where you can get the closest feeling possible to a real life BOB pilot fighting in the BOB that any simulation can provide.

Yes, a Newbie Guide would be outstanding but the game is being maintained and update by an all unpaid volunteer group called BDG (see other sticky threads for BDG information). We do not have the people to do another document. Most all information about the game is in the Users Manual but I do agree the information is not directed at the new flight Simulation player. Actually, all Flight Simulation games are that way in my experience.

I will give you a few tips but the best thing is for you to come to the A2A forum (if you are reading this then congrats you made it) and meet the community and ask questions. Our community is a G rated and very mature group of BOBII fans who will gladly help you with your questions, concerns or comments.

BTW, I recommend reading all the sticky threads on both the technical forum and the General forum as they contain some very useful information.

Now for Buddye’s Newbie Tips (or BoBII for beginners). This is how I started my grandson out on BOBII but I hope many players will add their Tips to this thread in the future.

First, try to set you game up for Novice.

Options->Sim , set flight model = Novice

Second, Go to your BOBII folder (where the game is installed) and find a file called the BDG.txt (Appendix A in the Users Manual). Double click on the Bdg.txt file to open, or open it with NotePad so you can edit it (be sure to save your edits). Find and set the following Bdg.txt parameters (use the find under the edit for Notepad):

Novice_AI=ON #Only valid in Instant Action missions
    Novice_Target_Size=ON #Note: Larger target for easy kills (practice or testing)
    Novice_Gunnery_Predictor=ON # NOTE Must padlock target to see predictor, switch to view F8 to practice

Also for a bit more punch for your bullet hits:

Player_Stronger_Bullets=ON #NOTE Only the player has the stronger bullets (not the AI)

The Novice_Gunnery_Predictor will require you to padlock a target (the enter key is a toggle for ON/OFF padlock) but it will help you learn to shoot (and deflection shoot) by showing the "lead" (a big red X to shoot at).

Stick to the Instant action Missions (Turkey Shoot, 1-on-1, and single fighter against single bomber) until you get comfortable with flying and shooting. It seems that most people keep interest if they are flying and killing AI A/C.

Then you can slowly back off the Novice setting one at a time.

If you are really not interested or you do not have the time for learning how to control BOBII then you should consider other games which are simpler to play.

sandbagger
    Yes you're right in this but, as always, the problem is where to draw the line between an easier to learn flight sim and a historical and realistic flight sim.

The OBD team have striven to replicate, as near as is possible, the actual air war fought during WW1. As such all of the experience needed to fly competantly and live to be an ace is built into BHaH. You have to master the vagaries of WW1 flying and combat to survive.

Already we are seeing settings being created in the Workshops to help users in the earlier days of BHaH, such as switching off the harder to deal with effects and lately gun spread patterns etc.

The question will always be where to draw the line to stop BHaH becoming too easy, which would really undo much of the effort that has been put into making BHaH such a realistic and immersive flight sim.

Time wiill tell I guess.

buddye
    I thought the point was to not have to worry with drawing a line but to:

1. First, implement the historicly accurate and realistic

Then

2. Second, scale it back for other skill and taste

This cost more time and effort but the benefit is easier transition of Skill and taste from Novice-to-Expert

sandbagger
    In effect that is what's happening now.

The realistic and historic detail is there.

Now the Devs are easing in 'helpers' for the newbies out there.

What I meant was when to stop, as to continue unabated would denegrate BHaH to the shoot-em-up genre.

Like I say, its up to Winder and the team as to how far they are willing to go. We'll see.

Fortiesboy
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post
    What I meant was when to stop, as to continue unabated would denegrate BHaH to the shoot-em-up genre.
    Nothing that Winder is doing is denegrating BHaH to anything. Because everything so far is scaleable, which by definition means that you can have it as "vanilla" as the day you loaded it!
    So, you can stay happy

Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortiesboy View Post
    Nothing that Winder is doing is denegrating BHaH to anything. Because everything so far is scaleable, which by definition means that you can have it as "vanilla" as the day you loaded it!
    So, you can stay happy
    What Mike means FB is that the settings will still not allow an arcade shoot- em - up... - if I do my job properly ahem...

WM

UK_Widowmaker
    If you put all the scalers onto unlimited /easy etc..Even a complete novice (should) be able to do ok

Yes, OFF at it's hardest settings is pretty damn hard...but that is it's appeal!...In RB3d for instance, you could become an Ace in no time at all!

There are other 'easier' WW1 sims about ( First Eagles as an example)...maybe noobs should try that first

buddye
    Quote Originally Posted by UK_Widowmaker View Post

There are other 'easier' WW1 sims about ( First Eagles as an example)...maybe noobs should try that first
    Well, I am not sure the solution is to recommend a different WWI sim as we want players to use OFF3 as the WWI sim.

This debate/discussion is important. It is your strategy. It drives how you set up your game (for novices, medium, expert) and how much is implemented Scalable. It drives the type of players you are trying to market too as well (for novices, medium, expert).

If your market is hardcore (expert) only then you do not need to consider fun factor, and Scalability. You drive your sim with Historic accuracy and realism only.

Fortiesboy
    Quote Originally Posted by UK_Widowmaker View Post
    If you put all the scalers onto unlimited /easy etc..Even a complete novice (should) be able to do ok

Yes, OFF at it's hardest settings is pretty damn hard...but that is it's appeal!...In RB3d for instance, you could become an Ace in no time at all!

Hmm, I slightly disagree here Simon. As 'tis from the box, noobs could be put off by the very things which Winder is scaling at the moment.Don't forget, they'll probably want some QC fun first to see if they can handle the opposition and make a little progress. Then ,( having got them to buy it,), they'll progress to the " Can i survive this sortie / war etc "

We don't want to send them away, either from this sim, or to a different sim, do we?

cheers mate

buddye
    As an example (which for me is no big deal being a flight sim'er), the first time I loaded OFF3, I went to quick mission so I could check out the sim and my chosen A/C (excited).

I was told "no" you can not play, go and create a pilot (disappointed).

The default setting on a game are soooo important as they contol the all important first impressions.

I am not trying to be a wise "rear end" here, I am sure the delelopers had a good reason for forcing me to create a pilot before I could play. I was not up to speed enough then to simply change a setting. The point is, was my reaction (excited to disappointment) the reaction you wanted to acheive for a first time player?

Maybe this discussion is better directed at the OFF Leaders rather than the players, my mistake, the old executive manager in me.