OT: the F-22s replacement has flown. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: the F-22s replacement has flown.

Members +
    Possible to move this to the correct forum?
    Nothing here, so far, that has to do with MSFS.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Blog Entries
    Well of course not. Thats why Sundog stated in the title that it was off topic.. Certainly we dont have to be so rigid as to not allow for OT conversations every now and then??

Speaking of Off Topic. I admire the history of Cape Town, especially that fortress and the Dutchman. It;s an amazing place with an amazing history.. You see, I have a friend that lives up in Ponchefstroon and FS2020 is the first piece of software that lets me leave the confines of my chair and visit these incredible places..

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    personally, I think they need to re-visit this guy..

Always thought that this was some humdinger of an airplane. Wished someone had taken this design into a sim.

All of this reminds me of the famous Aurora rumors. I remember back in the 90's when Oldsmobile came out with a model by the same name. At the end of one commercial, then announcer said something like "OK Air Force, you've seen ours, now show us yours!" I don't think that commercial ever aired twice!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Aurora was the development code name for the B-2. Having said that, there was reportedly a development program involving all of the major aerospace companies for a TSTO (Two Stage To Orbit) vehicle system. Here's one link. There are multiple patents of such designs. The second stage may have been a sub-orbital recon vehicle. It makes me think it was a continuation of the earlier Isinglass program.

The two stage vehicle system was reportedly built and flown, but it proved too expensive to operate. Hopefully, the system will be declassified in the near future, since we already have the X-37 for such missions and it's been nearly thirty years. It's time to move it to the USAF museum, like they did with Tacit Blue and the BOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    What I find interesting, is that of all of the ATF submissions, the ones we still haven't seen are Grumman's and Rockwell's. Although, the Paul Metz book on the YF-23 did show some more developments of the generic model that I hadn't seen before, including the subscale demonstrator they proposed to be built by Scaled Composites. With regard to the Grumman submission, I have some images of the canard/sept wing concepts they were working on at the time (G-719J) and their submission was supposedly somewhat similar.

Edit: BTW, I didn't know Rockwell was in El Segundo. I knew NAA was in the L.A. area, but I wasn't sure where. Also, Kindelberger came from Douglas, so that should have been my first clue.
    The Rockwell submission (and we may have teamed up with Grumman for the ATF program but I don't recall for sure) was never built, even as a mockup.
    I do recall the highly classified images though and there were some elements quite similar to the F-22.

Rockwell-NAA was very much in El Segundo. We occupied one of the tower buildings at the corner of El Segundo and PCH. And a whole line of buildings research and fabrication buildings along Douglas. Most of it is gone now since they moved to Seal Beach after the B-1B program was over. Rockwell itself had a building down by what is now the 105. Atwood Way was named after Lee Atwood. I worked in the tower building and Bldg 100 as well as Bldg 92. Bldg 92 is now long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Well of course not. Thats why Sundog stated in the title that it was off topic.. Certainly we dont have to be so rigid as to not allow for OT conversations every now and then??

Speaking of Off Topic. I admire the history of Cape Town, especially that fortress and the Dutchman. It;s an amazing place with an amazing history.. You see, I have a friend that lives up in Ponchefstroon and FS2020 is the first piece of software that lets me leave the confines of my chair and visit these incredible places..
    It's quite rare that a forum thread remains on topic, especially at SOH. We should all be used to it by now.

Members who have read this thread: 1