Jade Island

Thread: Jade Island

Blog Entries

Jade Island

After seeing the pic's of the Iris P-40Twin that OzWookie posted I got all excited. It was one of my babies.. David Bricemade it pretty, I and Paul Frimston ( Delta558) made it fly. And we had a good long talk. Somehow, I convinced him to port it over to FS2020 for me and in return, I would adjust the flight model. That was several days ago. As of today, Jade Island is commited to helping him with the Pig-Pam XB-35 Bomber getting a complete conversion, the P-40 Twin, and a russian amphibian. Yeah, he somehow convinced me to climb back in the saddle and get back into what I love. So without further Adieu i humbly give you a little teeny tiny taste of the pre-alpha P40 Twin. Its not perfect, But I hope youll enjoy it and will look forward to its release..
    Pam.

Look nice indeed.

On a side note, I was also surprised by the music choice for the video. I'll have to watch that anime again, it's been a while

Blog Entries
    The song is "I dont need a promise" and I THINK its from Escaflowne But dont quote me.. Its my favorite song but Its beeen a very long time since I watched the movie.. The plane is ( lets face it ) an anime plane. It LOOKS like something out of some Japanese cartoon, but it really existed. I cant help but feel that Curtiss only wanted to build the fastest propeller driven aircraft in existence So they took the two most powerful Packard Merlin engines ( 1695 HP Each ) and strapped them onto this little P40 ( a 9000 pound plane ) and achieved their goal. This thing would easily match a Mossie and leave it in the dust, but even though they could bolt on the horsepower, they couldnt increase the size of the fuel tanks, and therein lies the shortcoming of the design. Those engines are thirsty buggers and even the P-51K shied away from them like the plague. For all intents and purposes however, it was a useless aircraft that had no purpose and nobody wanted it. It will always remain one of the weird aircraft of history, and right up there with the J-7 Shinden, and the Germans asymmetrical BV-141.
    As for the music?? Thats how I feel when I'm flying.. All I need is a stick, a rudder, an engine, and a cloud over a hill..
    Love you guys..
    Pam

It is indeed the opening song of the anime Escaflowne, your memory was correct
    Never saw the movie though, only the serie.

Concerning the plane, I have to confess I had never heard about it until IRIS released it. The design is very special, and yes it fits with Japanese animation somehow. Still not as cool as the "Shinden" derivative that was depicted in that other anime movie "Sky Crawlers"

Blog Entries
    Sky Crawlers was one of if not the most depressing social commentaries I have ever witnessed.. War for the sake of entertainment, fought with clones because they arent even human in that society.. I loved the show, but walked away with a gnawing pain in my gut.. After all, Isnt that what Macnamarra did with us in vietnam?? Isnt that whats happening now?? Fodder for CNN to vommit all over everyones screens.. Sky Crawlers was as much a social commentary as it was a warning to future generations..
    Please forgive my little foray into current events. I do hope I didnt overstep any bounds..

I've got Piglets J-7. I didnt do any work on it so unlike the XB-35 I cant claim any part of it. If we brought it too FS2020 though, it would need an inteirely new flight model which I would be glad to do as I love canards ((LOL )) but the current flight model leaves much to be desired..

Y'all have my "what if" brain working overtime right now! Imagine a Shinden modified for modern Reno use! Remove the guns and smooth out the nose, install modern avionics (same touch screen G3X as the XCub would be perfect), add strobes to the wingtips and some landing lights, and you'd have something I'd pay money to fly in this sim!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Blog Entries
    Welll, I can only speak for myself here, so, what I do is make planes fly and thats my one little trick. I used to be good with numbers, and might still be able to scrunch some decent work out. I;m more than happy to build a new flight model for the J-7 as people have attempted to contact Piglet too no avail time after time again throughout the years, and at this timeI can only consider his work to be abandoned and open to upgrading. Thing is, I need someone to import it or simply port it to FS2020 as I have been unable to wrap my brain around how to do that.or make a project out of it, MSFS Style.. So, we need someone willing to port it over, Create two sets of gauges for it and still maintain the integrity of honoring Piglet and his doggy bags in memory of his puppy.
    I want to do this, but currently, I kinda have my hands full.. I;ve got a P-40 Twin, an X-35 and a SeaBear L65 to do with OzWookie, and The Duck and one other to do with Paul Dominque. I need someone that knows how to port a plane over to pull the J-7 in for me though and I'd be happy to do it. I just havent a clue on how to make an upgraded modern cockpit for it..

Now also, Theres not a lot of people that know anything about canards. Modern canards are "mostly" computer controlled, but the canard on the J-7 is mechanical and serves in part as a wing and in part as an elevator. It;s vewy twitchy ::LOL:: I can build it because I did that on the SU-37 already, but I need someone who can animate something over a three to five degree arc.. Maybe less..
    Let me pull up FSX and assess the situation with it. Perhaps I can start on it.. Reno type unlimited power is a no brainer.. Can do.. Historical Power may be a bit more difficult..

Members who have read this thread: 1