Moving your install to a new SSD

Thread: Moving your install to a new SSD

Moving your install to a new SSD

Hi gang!

Long time break from all things P3D and FSX, but now back with the release of MSFS 2020. I even bought a new laptop to run her in almost all of her beautiful splendor, though with quite a bit of heat so may dial down the detail just a bit.

I originally installed MSFS2020 on the RAID configured 2TB SSD, which occupy 2 of 3 memory slots. However, remembering the challenges of adding many updates, scenery and utilities, I opted to upgrade the 3rd slot to a 1TB SSD 2030 card, dedicated to MSFS alone, since the former has my OS, Steam and many other programs.

My question is does anyone know yet of an easy way of moving all MSFS files over to the new SSD? I am not beyond re-installing, but as you all know, its a very big download.

I warmly welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Best regards,
    Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Go to your Settings/App menu. Scroll down to MSFS and click on the Move button. They made it really easy.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Go to your Settings/App menu. Scroll down to MSFS and click on the Move button. They made it really easy.
    Not seeing this option at all, only the ability to designate my streaming cache location. Not sure if relevant, but I am running the steam version.

Only seeing Options/General or Profile/Content Manager for anything remotely linked to data. Unfortunately, nothing relating to moving my directory.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Hi gang!

Long time break from all things P3D and FSX, but now back with the release of MSFS 2020. I even bought a new laptop to run her in almost all of her beautiful splendor, though with quite a bit of heat so may dial down the detail just a bit.

I originally installed MSFS2020 on the RAID configured 2TB SSD, which occupy 2 of 3 memory slots. However, remembering the challenges of adding many updates, scenery and utilities, I opted to upgrade the 3rd slot to a 1TB SSD 2030 card, dedicated to MSFS alone, since the former has my OS, Steam and many other programs.

My question is does anyone know yet of an easy way of moving all MSFS files over to the new SSD? I am not beyond re-installing, but as you all know, its a very big download.

I warmly welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Best regards,
    Matt
    Yesterday I changed disc for the new one also (for MSFS only, 2TB of NVMe M.2). I installed the sim again but what is good - MS changed servers! It was less than 3 hours only (before it, in August it was 10 hours!), nice speed, was ok, so you can use download whole sim option again. Copying files (this 100 Gb) it will be same time I suppose.
    Last edited by YoYo; September 11th, 2020 at 23:50.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Btw. Great news - after installation (new W10 installed also, so no any data of "old" MSFS installation) - the sim remembers near all settings* (wow! looks like they are saved in clouds), just I rearranged graphics settings, but the rest (even joystics ect) was like on my previous installation.

* doesnt remember graphics settings and saved plane view (Alt+1,2 ect). The rest is ok.
    Last edited by YoYo; September 12th, 2020 at 04:16.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Not seeing this option at all, only the ability to designate my streaming cache location. Not sure if relevant, but I am running the steam version.

Only seeing Options/General or Profile/Content Manager for anything remotely linked to data. Unfortunately, nothing relating to moving my directory.
    You should be able to move it via Steam.
    I have the Windows Store version so haven't tried it but it should work.
    I don't know if the Microsoft Windows integration will try to interfere but this is how its done for all other games

First you need to make a new Steam Library on the drive you want to move it to.
    Start Steam and in the very top left of the window click on Steam and choose settings.
    In the Settings tab click on Downloads and click on STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS.
    In there click ADD LIBRARY FOLDER and browse to the drive you want than click NEW FOLDER and click OK, the new folder will show in the list so you can close that and the options windows.

Next in the Steam Library right click on the Flight Simulator icon and choose Properties.
    Click the LOCAL FILES tab and click MOVE INSTALL FOLDER, check your new library is selected in the drop down and click MOVE FOLDER.
    Wait for Steam to do its thing and you should be good to go.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    You should be able to move it via Steam.
    I have the Windows Store version so haven't tried it but it should work.
    I don't know if the Microsoft Windows integration will try to interfere but this is how its done for all other games

First you need to make a new Steam Library on the drive you want to move it to.
    Start Steam and in the very top left of the window click on Steam and choose settings.
    In the Settings tab click on Downloads and click on STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS.
    In there click ADD LIBRARY FOLDER and browse to the drive you want than click NEW FOLDER and click OK, the new folder will show in the list so you can close that and the options windows.

Next in the Steam Library right click on the Flight Simulator icon and choose Properties.
    Click the LOCAL FILES tab and click MOVE INSTALL FOLDER, check your new library is selected in the drop down and click MOVE FOLDER.
    Wait for Steam to do its thing and you should be good to go.
    Thank you, worked as you laid it out above.

Thanks for the other ideas too, more than helpful.

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0