Slowly Convincing Myself

Thread: Slowly Convincing Myself

Slowly Convincing Myself

Yes , like many of you I bet , I have been slowing trying to convince myself to pull the trigger and picking up FS 2020 . Also like many of have put a considerable amount of money into P3D version X thru v5 which I now have installed. I have a ton of ORBX and they are slowly converting some of it to FS 2020 and I believe discounting it at 40% for previous owners( nice but I wish it were more ) . As far as other sceneries and especially current aircraft working in P3D 5 I'm sure it will take some time before they are made compatible . Bottom line ( my reasoning to get FS 2020 LOL ) I will certainly keep P3D for all the excellent aircraft and scenery that have been made available for P3Dv5 . Both freeware and payware . My system ( built about a year ago Sept 2019 ) should handle FS2020 , it does P3Dv very well :

Intel I7 ,9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M processor , 32GB DDR 3200 , Nvidia RTX 2800 8GB , 500GB M-2 SSD , 2 TB HDD . I do have a quick question : would like to add a SSD , possibly a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB specifically for FS 2020 as I think FS 2020 would work well on this I've been told. A little concerned though that some people are having difficulty installing FS 2020 on another drive. I'm sure Microsoft will iron out the problems.

Maybe this exactly what I need to perk me up , a new sim as this has been one hell of a year for all of us with Covid-19 !

All of you stay safe ,
    Rich
    Last edited by Crusader; August 20th, 2020 at 11:17.
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Why wouldn't you with those Specs;

I have a i7 4790K Donk at approx 4.6 O/C, MSI 780Ti, 16 Gig DDR3 and running at 2K at Medium settings. And it is mind-bendingly good. Seriously, it's like I took Sim LSD - it's out of this world good.

In the words of Robbie Williams; "Jump on in, take a ride. . . "

I also have my FSX/P3D on a separate SSD which I can boot to for Dev and Flying purposes.
    We must be the servants of two (or more Masters) for a bit as we meld the two in to one.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Blog Entries
    Rich, Here is how I look at the two sim, MSFS 2020 and P3d. One MSFS is not a sim it is a game. It is wonderful for VFR exploring and sight-seeing. It is so good in this regard that you can use it to check out photography trips and plan shots.

Now, if you want to sit down and plan a flight. Then fly your plan and say shoot an arrival to an ILS, P3D or X-plane are the sims for you there. At least for the foreseeable future.

If you want to fly an aircraft with working systems other than the very basics, it has to be P3D and X-plane.

The two coexist nicely, in my book.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I don't know John, I think this new sim is so far and above more a flight sim than P3D is out of the box. (I'm not familiar with X-Plane to comment there.) There is quite a bit more functionality in these aircraft than default aircraft in past MS flight sims & P3D too. The visuals of this sim just makes it feel that much more real. The "feel" of the sim really comes down to the quality of controllers and the way they are setup/tuned in the sim. The default Cessna 150 in this sim is by far the most accurate that I've ever experienced in a flight sim, through all flight handling, power, speeds, stalls, etc. Others have commented on the high level of accuracy in the feel/flight modeling of some of the other GA aircraft in the sim that they've flown in reality as well. If I leave my controller sensitivities at the stocking settings, it does feel like a video game, but after tuning the sensitivities (-25 for all three of the axes for aileron/elevator/rudder for my CH Fighterstick and Rudder Pedals), I think the aircraft feel very comparable to the Accu-simmed A2A aircraft in P3D/FSX.

There are so many flight planning capabilities in this new sim, including IFR. In the World Map, I would suggest experimenting with planning IFR Low and High Altitude Airways flight plans (selectable in the upper left side of the screen). Make sure to turn on the ability to view all of the VOR stations and Waypoints from the Filters screen. From the auto-generate flight plan you can also directly edit which VOR and Waypoint stations you'd like to use. This information then gets automatically plugged into the FMC's in the aircraft.

If you select one of the big international airports within the World Map and look at the amount of real world frequencies that are now supported and used in the sim, it is staggering. For instance at KMSP, if you select that airport in the World Map, you can reference all of the frequencies there and there are multiple frequencies for the tower, multiple frequencies for ground, two frequencies for ATIS, a unicom frequency, clearance frequency, ASOS, and multiple approach and departure frequencies. There is also a selection where you can view a listing of all of the real world traffic that have scheduled departures and arrivals from the airport, that you will see as live AI traffic in the sim as well. And of course right within the World Map you can view the actual weather, the precipitation, the wind conditions at each airport, etc.

How do you get the satellite imagery on the Flight Planner? I've only had the grey maps so far which makes adding custom way-points a bit of a guessing game!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I don't know John, I think this new sim is so far and above more a flight sim than P3D is out of the box. (I'm not familiar with X-Plane to comment there.) There is quite a bit more functionality in these aircraft than default aircraft in past MS flight sims & P3D too. The visuals of this sim just makes it feel that much more real. The "feel" of the sim really comes down to the quality of controllers and the way they are setup/tuned in the sim. The default Cessna 150 in this sim is by far the most accurate that I've ever experienced in a flight sim, through all flight handling, power, speeds, stalls, etc. Others have commented on the high level of accuracy in the feel/flight modeling of some of the other GA aircraft in the sim that they've flown in reality as well. If I leave my controller sensitivities at the stocking settings, it does feel like a video game, but after tuning the sensitivities (-25 for all three of the axes for aileron/elevator/rudder for my CH Fighterstick and Rudder Pedals), I think the aircraft feel very comparable to the Accu-simmed A2A aircraft in P3D/FSX.

There are so many flight planning capabilities in this new sim, including IFR. In the World Map, I would suggest experimenting with planning IFR Low and High Altitude Airways flight plans (selectable in the upper left side of the screen). Make sure to turn on the ability to view all of the VOR stations and Waypoints from the Filters screen. From the auto-generate flight plan you can also directly edit which VOR and Waypoint stations you'd like to use. This information then gets automatically plugged into the FMC's in the aircraft.

If you select one of the big international airports within the World Map and look at the amount of real world frequencies that are now supported and used in the sim, it is staggering. For instance at KMSP, if you select that airport in the World Map, you can reference all of the frequencies there and there are multiple frequencies for the tower, multiple frequencies for ground, two frequencies for ATIS, a unicom frequency, clearance frequency, ASOS, and multiple approach and departure frequencies. There is also a selection where you can view a listing of all of the real world traffic that have scheduled departures and arrivals from the airport, that you will see as live AI traffic in the sim as well. And of course right within the World Map you can view the actual weather, the precipitation, the wind conditions at each airport, etc.
    Well John, you may have put me in my virtual place. That is impressive, and I didn't know any of the flight planning capabilities. It looks like you flew a SID in that example. I will eventually get around to trying out the IFR abilities of MSFS. Right now I am still trying to get it to work where I am comfortable.

In my comments above I was thinking of the aircrafts' avionics abilities. From what I gather reading the various forums, the avionics capabilities are minimum at best. This is to be expected with a default aircraft. Again, I am speaking about what I have read. I never flew an aircraft in real life that had a FMC. So, I don't miss one. The first time I saw a GPS was in a Cessna 182 sometime in the late 90s, I think it was a Garmin 120. It has a screen about 2" in dia. But, it was magic to an old steam gauge pilot.

I still tend to fly older steam gauge aircraft. I learned to fly IFR without the benefit of modern glass cockpits, So, I tend to still do it the hard way. It will take me time to get used to and figure out all the abilities of MSFS. The new mistress has the looks. Maybe she has the brains to go with the looks. Right now, as a typical male, I am fixated on the looks.

P.S. Thanks for all the effort you put into that post.
    Last edited by jmig; August 20th, 2020 at 14:27. Reason: Add a P.S.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

So far I have shot two A/P ILS approaches in FS2020, one with the Bonanza, the other with the A320 Neo. Both worked very well. It's a lot more stable on those approaches than FSX/P3D ever were in my testing over the years.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    How do you get the satellite imagery on the Flight Planner? I've only had the grey maps so far which makes adding custom way-points a bit of a guessing game!
    From the Filters menu [F Key] accessible at the bottom of the screen within the World Map, there are a great many different options you can turn on/off.

Low altitude winds visual (live weather).

Precipitation visual (live weater). Note Hurricane Genevieve by the Baja Peninsula.

The complexities of navigating Los Angeles air traffic.

A closer view identifying the different Waypoints and VOR stations near LAX.

All of the navigational data in this sim comes directly from NAVBLUE and is the same data that is currently used in all real world Flight Management Systems and Flight Operation ground support tools, updated regularly, fed into the sim using the same ARINC 424 format.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    From the Filters menu [F Key] accessible at the bottom of the screen within the World Map, there are a great many different options you can turn on/off.

Low altitude winds visual (live weather).

Precipitation visual (live weater). Note Hurricane Genevieve by the Baja Peninsula.

The complexities of navigating Los Angeles air traffic.

A closer view identifying the different Waypoints and VOR stations near LAX.

Is that real weather, too? You could use this for real flight planning

Yes, it is real/live weather projected on the map (which can show clouds, wind or precipitation depending on the options you have set in the filters).

Just to add that the accuracy and feel of the flight modeling of the Cessnas (152 and 172) and the SuperCubs, which I can compare with real life experience are imho better In MSFS than P3D/FSX Accusim aircraft. That includes ground handling and ground effect just before and after touchdown. This combined with turbulence effects over ridges and thermals make this sim the best virtual flying experience I had so far. I can not comment on IFR as I have no real experience.

Tbh , i dont know why soo many people are complaining about this new sim. I have been flying since fs98 and imho i have never seen a better product out of the box than msfs. Sure , the planes arent pmdg like , but neither were the stock ones from any previous versions. ofc it isn't perfect but it is a very good base to start with. Things can only get better , just my 2 cents.

I am happy for the honest, easy and respectfull tone in this forum. It was my FS forum of choice for many years. I was away from simming for a few years. I restored my old Citroen 2CV, and did some awesome traveling in it with my wife. She liked my new hobby better than FS, and modelling the Douglas DC2, haha! I'm happy to see many familiar names still here, and look forward to dropping by frequently.
    I'm getting MSFS coming weekend. Let's see where it takes me.
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Members who have read this thread: 0