New PC Build Question

Thread: New PC Build Question

New PC Build Question

Hi guys,

I'm looking at building a new PC so I can run this with everything turned up for great performance and great graphics. My question is this; If I build a new PC and just move my HD's over, do I need to reformat windows? Should I simply wipe it off the HD of the old box and re-install it new when I transfer the Crive? My Crive is mostly clean. Even my pictures/documents libraries are on other drives. Also, all my drives are SSD.

I think I have to re-install windows because of the massive hardware change, but I'm not sure. So what's the word?

Thanks,
    Ken

Windows 10 is much better at handling total hardware changes than previous versions. But honestly, I'd take the opportunity to do a fresh start. Just less chance for odd issues.

I completely rebuilt my PC about two years ago (I only kept the hard drive, case, and power supply), and Windows did an absolutely fine job with the new hardware, and hasn't given me any trouble since.

The only issue I had with the new build was with getting Windows 10 to re-activate (which is required if a bunch of hardware changes at one time), but that was entirely because I'd done the free upgrade from Window 7, and Microsoft support was actually really helpful in getting the OS to realize it was a legitimate copy.

Thanks guys, that's all good to know.

Ken

Are you planning on using your current Windows 10 license on your new build? I have had some M$oft issues when I've upgraded CPU, M/B and graphics card at the same time. Research the issue a little before upgrading and you may be able to save $100 on a new OS. The literature says convert to a digital Windows 10 license and it should be transferable. I did it and still had a problem. Called M$oft support and after 1 or 2 hours got them to allow my use of license. Keep receipts from upgrade in .pdf form so you can give them to M$oft support.Good luck.

Edit: You will have a period of time while windows works to delete old drivers and install new ones and accomplish other house cleaning tasks. It is also during this period you should be contacting M$oft to authorize your OS installation.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking at building a new PC so I can run this with everything turned up for great performance and great graphics. My question is this; If I build a new PC and just move my HD's over, do I need to reformat windows? Should I simply wipe it off the HD of the old box and re-install it new when I transfer the Crive? My Crive is mostly clean. Even my pictures/documents libraries are on other drives. Also, all my drives are SSD.

I think I have to re-install windows because of the massive hardware change, but I'm not sure. So what's the word?

Thanks,
    Ken
    You'll have to start from scratch I'm afraid. Massive hardware changes aren't handled by windows. Not even by 10.

Moreover, your old drivers would still be on there, so the conflicts that await you are horrible.

Kind regards,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

If I may offer some advice, don't build just yet!

AMDs Zen 3 CPUs are close to launch as are their RDNA2 GPS. Both are promising some great performance increases.

Then you have nVidia coming out with the 3000-series of cards towards the end of the month. They are also promising massive improvements in performance over the previous generation. Price may be an issue with cards in the $1400 range possible.

I'm waiting until all three release to refresh my build.

Quote Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
    If I may offer some advice, don't build just yet!

AMDs Zen 3 CPUs are close to launch as are their RDNA2 GPS. Both are promising some great performance increases.

Then you have nVidia coming out with the 3000-series of cards towards the end of the month. They are also promising massive improvements in performance over the previous generation. Price may be an issue with cards in the $1400 range possible.

I'm waiting until all three release to refresh my build.
    I would go with Ryzen 7 3800XT - current price / performance leader.... https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-3...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

But, yes, wait for new graphics cards. (Nvidia RTX3080 beyond what I would spend for a card, but my 5700 handling things OK. 5700XT might be value go to.)
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Glad I took a look at this thread...until MSFS 2020 came out, I had been operating P3D v4 and v5 quite happily on my 2016-vintage, 4.0 Mhz Intel i7-6700K, nVIDIA 1070 with 16 GB of 3200 RAM...but in many respects, MSFS 2020 is a stuttering, freezing slide show-- especially at lower altitudes-- even with the settings dialed down.

I was leaning towards springing for a new rig....but after reading this thread, I think I'll wait a bit.

Kent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Glad I took a look at this thread...until MSFS 2020 came out, I had been operating P3D v4 and v5 quite happily on my 2016-vintage, 4.0 Mhz Intel i7-6700K, nVIDIA 1070 with 16 GB of 3200 RAM...but in many respects, MSFS 2020 is a stuttering, freezing slide show-- especially at lower altitudes-- even with the settings dialed down.

I was leaning towards springing for a new rig....but after reading this thread, I think I'll wait a bit.

Kent
    Kent, I would try upgrading the GPS. A RTX 2070 Super can be had for $500-600 and it handles MSFS quite well. In reviewing the hardware posts, it seems that the GPS is now the limiting factor in MSFS rather than the CPU.

If the new GPU doesn't help much...well, you have a head start on a new build.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

John, I am REALLY toying with that thought....it's LOTS cheaper than dropping $3,500-4,500! Makes me even wonder if it might not be worth going for the 2080 Super-Duper high end at $900 might not even be a "bargain" if it runs the sim decently, and I avoid forking out for a new rig.

I take it from your post you are getting things sorted out and it's flying well on your rig?

Kent

Hold off on any video card upgrades if you can. Nvidia is announcing its new cards in just 11 days:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/special-event/

...and you'll not only see new levels of performance for the $, but also the market will be chock full of discounted used cards from people upgrading. (I just sold my RTX 2080 in anticipation.)

Plus, as CybrSlydr points out, the AMD Zen 3 CPUs are just around the corner too.

In a few weeks, you'll likely be able to buy noticeably more performance for the same price.

Get a new SSD and reinstall W10 on that , then move over your old discs , will work fine i think

All of my drives are already SSDs. FSX on one (I can delete that now), P3D on iot's own (Will probably keep for planes I can't fly yet in MSFS, but, I'm enjoying MSFS so much, I don't see myself going back, so that may be deleted soon).

This is the upgrade I was looking at, but I'll hold off; not to get the new GPU, but for a better discount on what's out there. I always use intel and nVidia, because they've always been good to me sim wise and engineering wise (I run Solid Works at home as well).

New
    CPU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sxD...bx80684i78700k
    CPU Cooler: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/brV...-cw-9060031-ww
    MB: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fyr...0-aorus-master
    Memory (2 of these for four sticks): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6rr...2gx4m2b3200c16
    GPU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3sJ...1g180-2515-000

I would use my existing Windows, and probably just re-install everything, since I could just leave FSX and P3D off to keep it clean. As noted upthread, I even put my windows libraries on their own drive, to keep the C: Drive just or windows to the greatest extent possible. I think I can use my current full tower and PS as well.

This is what I'm running now, but I want to push everything up to high or Ultra and be able to fly fast jets down low without a hiccup. My current system stutters when flying around cities with some of the settings on high and most of them on medium. This is in GA prop aircraft. Works fine in less populated areas. Of course, both of those happen with clear skies, I haven't tried with loudy weather yet.

Current
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memoory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    John, I am REALLY toying with that thought....
    I take it from your post you are getting things sorted out and it's flying well on your rig?

Kent
    Yes, Thank goodness for FSUIPC7. I have yet to figure out how to assign controls to controllers not recognized by MSFS. The only one it understands is the TM HOTAS. The joystick and rudder are seen but it doesn't understand the buttons or axis.

Using 'WINDOWED' mode, I can stretch it top to bottom across two screens. TrackIR, in my opinion, works better in MSFS than P3d.

I haven't done anything other than fly VFR.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

jmig,

It's recognizing your other controllers, they just made a confusing user interface decision. By default, each controller shows already assigned functions. However, for devices that don't have presets, nothing's already assigned, so it shows a blank programming area.

For the controllers you're having issues with, just change the View filter from "Assigned" to "All." Now you can program all the functions.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fsfilter.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Thanks Danny, my issue is that MSFS doesn't show a picture with numbers representing the various buttons. It will give me a list of numbers that represent the button. It is up to me to figure out which number represents which button. I was using FSUIPC7 and didn't need to know the button numbers. I would just click on the button and it was assigned.

However, sim-connect and FSUIPC7 aren't playing well together. My FPS dropped like a waterfall in Iceland. I had to turn it off. So, now I will have to figure out which button represents the number on five different controllers, assign them to MSFS functions.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Members who have read this thread: 0