Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

After several weeks of working on this, with a nearly complete rework of the textures inside and out, I've finally gotten it finished off this morning and now posted to Flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/file/40353/p-51...-mcswine-n51vl

Next to be finished is P-51D N20MS "Daddy's Girl" and P-51D N514RP "Red Dog".

Almost entirely new cockpit textures, as can also be seen from the outside (all colors and finishes closely matching the real aircraft):

A view showing the flap position placard, as well as the wing walkway non-slip, flare port, fuselage fuel cap and grounding port, none of which existed before, and all of which have normal map detail added.

Icon14

Wow, John, your eye for the details is unmatched! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	applause.gif 
Views:	463 
Size:	607 Bytes 
ID:	88374

Thank you very much for another awesome livery!

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Very nice work John. Great to see more good skins for the Reno 51.

August

I have to echo August, beautiful work and appreciate the paint on the Reno birds.

Todd

Thank you Tim, August and Todd, I appreciate it! If you want to know why so few have released repaints for this model, take a look at the fuselage texture sheet in my repaint. Just about every panel across the fuselage and cowling is separate on the texture sheet from the other panels. So for instance, with just the left star & bar insignia, there are seven different spots on the texture sheet where sections of that marking had to be applied and all line-up together (and another five panels for the right star & bar insignia). There is also distortion at play on the vertical tail, rudder and wings, which also must be taken into account when drawing the markings in those areas so that they look correctly-drawn when seen on the model. Fortunately, working with the model in 3DS Max, I figured out a way which works really well that I can "implant" the markings from 3DS Max into the texture UVW maps, that I can then simply trace onto the textures in PaintShop Pro/Photoshop (thus circumventing the previously mentioned challenges). If it wasn't for that process, I wouldn't be doing repaints for it. The model itself, although it does have a few issues with accuracy, is the most visually accurate ever made for a Microsoft flight sim, which is why I've gravitated to it. For this repaint, I ended up creating a rather extensive checklist for all that needed to be done, both outside and inside the aircraft, so that I tried hard not to forget anything when it came to all of the details throughout. There are a ton of texture files included with this repaint, and the reason being is that I had to do at least some level of work to each one of them to make it how I wanted for this repaint.

OMW to download. Thanks John.

My hat's off to you, John!
    I admire your persistence, I took one look at the texture layout and said 'forget it!'
    Fantastic that you could make some sense out of it.
    If you ever want a similar challenge, there's the Big Radials P-40...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Last edited by robcarrich; September 12th, 2022 at 08:26.

That is one shiney 310. Looks great though.

John, thanks for the account of how you put these skins together. I was generally aware of the texture jigsaw puzzle issue because I took a stab at it reskinning this plane myself, but fairly quickly gave up when I realized that it would require the kind of reverse engineering of the whole model that you have done. I agree with you that it is a nice 3d model and worth the effort. If they would just fix the splayed out landing gear it would almost be perfect. I confess though that my ported over Warbirdsim P-51s are still in my mod manager and I still load them up when I want a P-51 that flies properly and that, thanks to all the work you put into them, still looks good despite having been given a heavy coat of matte varnish by one of the sim updates.

August

WOW Robert, that is beautiful!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Thank you Tim, August and Todd, I appreciate it! If you want to know why so few have released repaints for this model, take a look at the fuselage texture sheet in my repaint. Just about every panel across the fuselage and cowling is separate on the texture sheet from the other panels. So for instance, with just the left star & bar insignia, there are seven different spots on the texture sheet where sections of that marking had to be applied and all line-up together (and another five panels for the right star & bar insignia). There is also distortion at play on the vertical tail, rudder and wings, which also must be taken into account when drawing the markings in those areas so that they look correctly-drawn when seen on the model. Fortunately, working with the model in 3DS Max, I figured out a way which works really well that I can "implant" the markings from 3DS Max into the texture UVW maps, that I can then simply trace onto the textures in PaintShop Pro/Photoshop (thus circumventing the previously mentioned challenges). If it wasn't for that process, I wouldn't be doing repaints for it. The model itself, although it does have a few issues with accuracy, is the most visually accurate ever made for a Microsoft flight sim, which is why I've gravitated to it. For this repaint, I ended up creating a rather extensive checklist for all that needed to be done, both outside and inside the aircraft, so that I tried hard not to forget anything when it came to all of the details throughout. There are a ton of texture files included with this repaint, and the reason being is that I had to do at least some level of work to each one of them to make it how I wanted for this repaint.

Great stuff John thank you!

John - does this repaint work with the Wee Willy II version please?

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Picked up this little gem on sale (7.50 USD) at the marketplace. Seriously, I presume this was Mike Johnson's work of Lotussim fame...because the craftsmanship is honestly real good. Not everything works like the old LS version but for the price it's a great buy. I bound some simple buttons for AP control. It's got basic red interior flood lighting at night but it's a lot less glare than the 'red thunder' L39 I already owned. And it has dual GNS so whenever Working Title finishes their mod I think I'll be using this jet a lot! I love hand flying it - and it's pretty powerful (not like an F35 or anything but like the real Aero Vodochody). I'd recommend it gents!

L39analogue8 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

L39analogue by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

L39analogue4 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

L39analogue5 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

L39analogue7 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Picked up this little gem on sale (7.50 USD) at the marketplace. Seriously, I presume this was Mike Johnson's work of Lotussim fame...because the craftsmanship is honestly real good. Not everything works like the old LS version but for the price it's a great buy. I bound some simple buttons for AP control. It's got basic red interior flood lighting at night but it's a lot less glare than the 'red thunder' L39 I already owned. And it has dual GNS so whenever Working Title finishes their mod I think I'll be using this jet a lot! I love hand flying it - and it's pretty powerful (not like an F35 or anything but like the real Aero Vodochody). I'd recommend it gents!

L39analogue8 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

L39analogue by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

L39analogue4 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

L39analogue5 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

L39analogue7 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr
    can I ask you if they also modeled the rear seat?

Quote Originally Posted by merida72 View Post
    can I ask you if they also modeled the rear seat?
    They did not model it.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

5th Gen Aggressors

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-35A.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	88396

This is a great replication of the new 65th AGRS paint job on Dino's F-35A

I’m seeing an occasional Westland Whirlwind and Fairey Barracuda in this thread. Can I assume both are still WIP by some developer for release “soon”? Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 347